• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-14 NBA Dec |OT| The Nets are the Knicks of Basketball

KingGondo

Banned
LMAO. The Starters just showed a clip where Wesley asked Stotts to guard YNB, and YNB heard it and said some shit like "watch this" as he tried to post up Wesley, and completely got shut down defensively.

Stay free YNB. Stay free.
Yeah, he needs to cool his swagger a bit until he starts playing better.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Jeff, I was 2nd in posting the last thread, where exactly were you at? I'm not saying this to "brag" or anything dumb like that, just pointing out that I've been here.

"Bu...but he's mean and making dumb arguments!"

So when I use statistics and logic to back up my points that you don't want to hear I'm "trolling" now? I love how people like you try to play the victim. I sit here and take personal attacks all day but don't cry about it, I dish it back out. At the end of the day they're fucking words and this is an anonymous forum. I don't care what you say about me, learn to stop being overly sensitive.

Saying you won't talk to me, which obviously implies that you're mad, is the same thing as "I'm taking my ball and going home." If you're over the age of 16 it's pathetic.

I'm ready to have a discourse with anyone here but if you're an asshole to me be prepared to get it right back.

when?

Back when you defended Mike Brown for 3 pages or when you couldn't even get your own facts straight regarding Bynum's contract while shit talking the people who did?

I mean

You did just come straight me about something you obviously knew nothing about :3

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
So reilo, how legit is this Portland team? I'm more surprised by their success than, say, Cleveland sucking as hard as they are. That bench is still an issue, but holy jeez, it doesn't seem to matter all that much.

Hopefully CJ McCollumn can shore up that bench when he's back. He seems to have the tools. I actually like Mo Williams in this role -- it's almost as if he's made for it (something everyone has been saying for years). Glad he's bought in.

I like what Freeland is giving in the backup role. Versatile player, needs to add a bit of strength. Wish Meyers Leonard wasn't a huge bust, because he's got the body to be fucking good.

As far if the team is for real or not? No clue. Only the season can tell. If they stay healthy and keep executing, then they will be. What I like is that they execute no matter who their opponent is. It's very similar to what Dallas did in 2011, which is no surprise given who the coach is.

when?

Back when you defended Mike Brown for 3 pages or when you couldn't even get your own facts straight regarding Bynum's contract while shit talking the people who did?

I mean

You did just come straight me about something you obviously knew nothing about :3

Pretty sure we were the only ones to throw stats out. I mean, their SRS is pathetically easy, and yet they are a godawful team. The schedule is only going to get tougher for them from here on out.

diehard

Fleer
ace at this point me getting banned for calling kad dumb was.. ridiculous

Favors looked awesome last night, really outplayed Roy Hibbert.

Yeah, he needs to cool his swagger a bit until he starts playing better.

That kind of attitude is infectious though, so I say keep on being YNB Russell.

Also, I had an awesome time in Oklahoma. I gambled, drank a lot, went to a shooting range, helped my father in-law install lighting in his shop, learned about Will Rogers, and discovered that Tulsa goes absolutely crazy when it comes to decorating for Christmas.

I was shocked at the geography in Tulsa too, I had no clue that the Ozarks extended into Oklahoma. Airport was really nice too. I got the extended tour or it from my father inlaw because he works there and came away really impressed. The houses in Tulsa were impressive as well, I guess all that oil/gas money in Oklahoma has something to do with it. All in all I really liked Tulsa, definitely won't be dreading going back for more visits.

Tom Penny

This year is so wack. Celtics lottery hopes are predicated on the Toronto Raptors stepping up and winning the Titanic division since the Nets and Knicks are laughingstocks. I'm not holding my breath.

KingGondo

Banned
That kind of attitude is infectious though, so I say keep on being YNB Russell.

Also, I had an awesome time in Oklahoma. I gambled, drank a lot, went to a shooting range, helped my father in-law install lighting in his shop, learned about Will Rogers, and discovered that Tulsa goes absolutely crazy when it comes to decorating for Christmas.

I was shocked at the geography in Tulsa too, I had no clue that the Ozarks extended into Oklahoma. Airport was really nice too. I got the extended tour or it from my father inlaw because he works there and came away really impressed. The houses in Tulsa were impressive as well, I guess all that oil/gas money in Oklahoma has something to do with it. All in all I really liked Tulsa, definitely won't be dreading going back for more visits.
Glad you enjoyed it!

Yeah, Tulsa's a nice town, and definitely has some things over OKC. More artsy culture, prettier natural surroundings, better architecture, etc. Has a nice smallish-town feel while being decently-sized enough to have things to do.

Definitely make sure to hit up the Philbrook Museum next time you're here. The museum/house itself is awesome, and the surrounding neighborhood is very cool as well.

Jeff-DSA

What happens if the Knicks/Nets game is a blowout tonight? How brutal will the fallout be in the press for the losing side? Did Carmelo manage to produce a Brooklyn Fans for Carmelo ad campaign for this one?

Lets give him a chance guys :3

We might've been 30th in defensive efficiency because our front court consisted of Desagna Diop, Brendan Haywood, Byron Mullens, and Bismack "I can guard everyone if I try" Biyombo while our coach banked everything on forcing turnovers with a constant fullcourt press in order to jumpstart a non-existant, two man-offense.

Let's look at the front court this year:

Bismack Biyombo
Brendan Haywood
Josh McRoberts*
Al Jefferson*
Cody Zeller*

The team didn't improve one single bit on the defensive end.

Jefferson is a black hole and everyone in the league knows it. He has terrible spacial awareness, is slow on rotations, gives up deep post positioning too often, and is awful at screening. Look at it this way, he joined the Jazz via trade in 2010 and averaged about 35 minutes a game over his 3 seasons in Utah. The Jazz finished no higher than 26th in points allowed per possession through the pick and roll during that stretch. They were also a better team defensively with him off the floor, allowing 9.2 points per 100 possessions MORE when he played. The Bobcats have been god-awful on defense without a center who can defend the games most simple play so what do they do? Oh yeah, they sign possibly the worst pick and roll big in the game. McRoberts, Zeller, Haywood, and Biyombo aren't going to be able to mask Jefferson's deficiency the whole year considering 3 out of those 4 are below average defenders themselves.

Thinking they will stay near the top of the league is foolish in my opinion, that's why I said they will regress towards the mean. Maybe they won't be dead last this year but I have a hard time seeing them finish higher than 20th.

If you actually looked into what I just said, you'd see that Charlotte scored an 'odd' amount of points in the paint last year despite its size - because it was one of the league leaders in fast break points throughout most of the season. Which would be nice, but we had no offense to speak of outside of forcing turnovers.

Charlotte scored few points in the paint because Paul Silas knew his interior bigs were complete crap and couldn't score points in the half court, that's why the team was encouraged to run so much. The Bobcats had no choice but to get out and push the ball. Kemba couldn't run the pick and roll to save his life, nobody on this team could hit consistent outside shots when he collapsed the defense, I already mentioned how useless the bigs were...So there's no need to state the obvious.

If Charlotte were somehow scoring 100pts per game, then yeah, you'd definitely have an argument. Because with a similar scoring cast, that just shouldn't make much sense at all especially given how the offense is almost identical to Paul Silas'.

I'm sorry but what does scoring 100PPG have to do with their terrible defense?

But defensively? Actually not selling out for every steal or block presented and *gasp* not getting completely demolished on the boards and giving the team the once rare opportunity to end possessions without inbounding it from the baseline changes quite a bit.

Cats are a better rebounding team this year, I'll give you that.

You jump at any opportunity to start name calling. There's plenty of posts that show that.

I'm sorry. That make you feel better big guy?

reilo

How do the Knicks even lose tonight's game? The Nets are without Deron, Pierce, AK, and Terry.

The Nets roster is pretty much the ghost of KG, Brook Lopez, that guy with a $123.7mil contract, that guy with worse knees than Brandon Roy, and Andray Fucking Blatche.

reilo

KDonhoops: Please remember that the Bulls didn't hang onto LaMarcus Aldridge because Scott Skiles didn't like LMA's reaction to Skiles' staring at him.

lol Scott Skiles and Bulls.

How do the Knicks even lose tonight's game? The Nets are without Deron, Pierce, AK, and Terry.

The Nets roster is pretty much the ghost of KG, Brook Lopez, that guy with a $123.7mil contract, that guy with worse knees than Brandon Roy, and Andray Fucking Blatche.

So only slightly better than the Knicks' current roster. It could go either way.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

Its still the Knicks. They actively lose more games than they actively win.

reilo

@PelicanPierre: 1, 2, Pierre's coming for you. 3, 4, I’m at your door 5, 6, get your crucifix (wont help) 7, 8, better stay up late. 9,10, never dream again

Oh that's just fucked up.

Truphenom

Knicks are getting blown out tonight, and this stupid roster will finally start seeing some changes.

Only with CAA's permission of course.

reilo

I refuse to believe this is the real reason they traded him for Tyrus Thomas.

But you're believing it, aren't you? Because it's Scott Fucking Skiles and the Bulls. It'd be hilarious if the Bulls picked Tyrus over LMA because they thought Tyrus had a better attitude LOL.

I just realized Tyrus is actually out of the league. And he got paid $8mil last season. Amazing.

But you're believing it, aren't you? Because it's Scott Fucking Skiles and the Bulls. It'd be hilarious if the Bulls picked Tyrus over LMA because they thought Tyrus had a better attitude LOL.

I just realized Tyrus is actually out of the league. And he got paid $8mil last season. Amazing.

lol holy shit you're right. I thought Tyrus was still slumming it on the Bobcats or as a 12th man on Toronto or some shit like that but nobody wants him!

and I do believe that story

I was listening to the Simmons/Lowe podcast and they brought up something that is just absolutely outstanding and still baffles me to this day:

Landry Fields $6,250,000

Emwitus

Knicks have the longest losing streak in the nba. How bad are they? Even intentionally tanking teams arent as shit as the knicks.

#knickstape

I was listening to the Simmons/Lowe podcast and they brought up something that is just absolutely outstanding and still baffles me to this day:

Landry Fields $6,250,000

3tTfXRF.jpg

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

Landry Fields $6,250,000

You might not remember but its cause was the Drakes wanted to get Nash to save their franchise (and be Canadian) and by taking fields they made a trade for nash financially impossible for the knicks because they had no assets to match up with beside Shump the only 2 guard on the roster at the time....... the skullfuckery comes in when you realize they could of stole fields for 3 million.... shit maybe even 2 million a year because besides depth the knicks didn't need him and looked prepared to pull a lin/copeland of telling him "to go find his value on the market" all along.

reilo

I don't know, Zeke did draft Damon Stoudemire, Marcus Camby and Tracy McGrady.

And then Grunwald fucked it all up lol.

February 13, 1998: Traded Carlos Rogers, Damon Stoudamire and Walt Williams to the Portland Trail Blazers for Kenny Anderson, Gary Trent, Alvin Williams, a 1998 1st round draft pick (Bryce Drew), a 1998 1st round draft pick (Mirsad Turkcan) and a 1998 2nd round draft pick (Tyson Wheeler).
June 25, 1998: Traded Marcus Camby to the New York Knicks for Sean Marks, Charles Oakley and cash.
August 3, 2000: Traded Tracy McGrady to the Orlando Magic for a 2005 1st round draft pick (Fran Vazquez).

Hey, guess who the GM of the Knicks was until this past summer? YOU GOT IT!

July 10, 2013: Traded Marcus Camby, Steve Novak, Quentin Richardson, a 2014 2nd round draft pick, a 2016 1st round draft pick and a 2017 2nd round draft pick to the Toronto Raptors for Andrea Bargnani.

You might not remember but its cause was the Drakes wanted to get Nash to save their franchise (and be Canadian) and by taking fields they made a trade for nash financially impossible for the knicks because they had no assets to match up with beside Shump the only 2 guard on the roster at the time....... the skullfuckery comes in when you realize they could of stole fields for 3 million.... shit maybe even 2 million a year because besides depth the knicks didn't need him and looked prepared to pull a lin/copeland of telling him "to go find his value on the market" all along.

I had forgotten but they brought it up on the podcast

Just makes it even more epic

Isn't it pretty much an open secret that half the team blames Carmelo? Who else do you think they're talking about when they use a phrase like "the ball seems to stick"? He's also shooting 27% from three on 4.1 attempts. That's lol.
alot more problems on this team than the easy out of blaming Carmelo. And it's funny that the guy who made the comment is the reason the ball sticks more than Carmelo.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
And then Grunwald fucked it all up lol.

Hey, guess who the GM of the Knicks was until this past summer? YOU GOT IT!

To kinda be fair Stoudemire and TMac did not want to stay and were ready to bolt so he recooped what he could.

The Camby trade resulted in the Raptors having the greatest back to back seasons the franchise has ever had!

Did someone say Vinsanity?

:(

reilo

To kinda be fair Stoudemire and TMac did not want to stay and were ready to bolt so he recooped what he could.

The Camby trade resulted in the Raptors having the greatest back to back seasons the franchise has ever had!

Did someone say Vinsanity?

:(

I don't think people understand how bad Grunwald is as a GM. Let me summarize, again:

Grunwald traded Stoudamire for Bryce Drew and Mirsad Turkcan, then Camby for the corpse of Charles Oakley and Sean Fucking Marks, and Tracy McGrady for that French Guy That Isn't In Basketball-Reference.com's Database.

Then that same GM traded a first round pick for Andrea Bargnani,.

He's considered the best GM the Knicks have had in the past 15 years.

Amare said that the ball sticks.

I think Shumpert may have said something similar, but I know the most recent thing he did was yell at Carmelo about a blown defensive rotation.

Amare is so ultra-finished though, so I don't even know what kind of point he could make about anything these days.

reilo

“If we move the ball better, everyone will get better,’’ Shumpert said. “The ball is sticking. It’s from frustration, guys wanting to do more.’’

reilo

The most hilarious part about the Billups amnesty was that his contract was expiring that season anyhow lol.

Top Bottom