• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-14 NBA Dec |OT| The Nets are the Knicks of Basketball

You guys paying Harden/Dwight 160 million and I bet you win the same number of chips as LA the next 3 years

ok Vahagn I see you, I see you

ec3d3836_the_rock_clap_clap_gif.gif

Zach Lowe said:
The Raptors canvassed damn near the entire league in their quest to become the second team in two seasons to dump Rudy Gay well in advance of the trade deadline, according to sources across the NBA. They went to every team that made at least some theoretical sense: Detroit, with expiring contracts and at least some need on the wing; Milwaukee, with fading postseason ambitions and a massive hole at small forward the Greek Freak isn’t quite ready to fill; Cleveland, with a playoff mandate, a GM on shaky ground, and perhaps the worst group of starting wing players in the league; and many others.

Everyone said no, and they did so abruptly. This is how far Gay’s value has declined league-wide over the last 18 months. I know GMs who say they wouldn’t touch him [Gay] now in free agency for the midlevel exception. Only one team was left: the Kings, with a new ownership group determined to make a splash and a new GM, Pete D’Alessandro, who worked with Toronto GM Masai Ujiri in Denver. The Kings’ wing rotation is a disaster, even after the recent acquisition of Derrick Williams, who has never resembled an NBA-caliber small forward. The Williams swap and DeMarcus Cousins max-level extension left Sacramento without meaningful projected cap room this summer, putting the Kings in a position where they could plausibly look at Gay’s $19 million player option for 2014-15 and say, “No harm, no foul.” The Raptors were betting Gay would pick up that option given his poor play this season, and dealing Gay allows them to plan with more certainty.

Gay needs to ban stats other than PPG as well as video footage from being available to GMs next.

Smokey

I like how you didn't take the bet. No you're right, enjoy your Atlanta Hawks circa 2009 future

You do realize where you'll most likely be picking in the draft right? You also realize what clown you have running your organization right? Your team will be the definition of middling. You'll have China tier kobe tho to help get you through it

Vahagn

You do realize where you'll most likely be picking in the draft right? You also realize what clown you have running your organization right? Your team will be the definition of middling. You'll have China tier kobe tho to help get you through it

I'm happy with the Lakers success to date - bring on the Old Snake retirement tour, I'm ready!

linsivvi

I'd argue the Nets should definitely be in the top 3..

At least the Nets were taking a gamble even though the odds were heavily stacked against them.

The Knicks has to be ahead of the Kings since they gave away picks when trading with the Raptors.

Hard to say what Kobes ceiling is. The guy is still playing the role of a superstar guard who's trying to do a little of everything. If he stopped trying to be a free safety on defense and played the role of a traditional shooting guard he'd probably an 18ppg guy until he's 40+.

He hasn't even taken rest days or back to backs or minute restrictions yet in his 18th season lol. His current restrictions will probably be gone in a week.

LuchaShaq

Banned
This league is officially a two team race. Which will be first? Nets fire Jason Kidd or Carmelo Anthony demands a trade?

Any team that would want melo isn't going to be giving up the assets Dolan would demand in return.

Much more likely they make him hit free agency and choose between more money or a real NBA franchise.

Hopefully like Dwight he makes the right choice.

LOL at Kobe never fell off nonsense. Was the best player/at least top 3 in the league around 04-06. He hasn't even been mediocre on defense since 09ish. Both sides of the ball matter.

Vahagn

With the new data available to players it should be pretty much impossible to shoot sub 40% from the field. Just look at the data and eliminate shooting from your coldest zones or work on them in practice. But it's completely inexcusable

This league is officially a two team race. Which will be first? Nets fire Jason Kidd or Carmelo Anthony demands a trade?

Prok needs to do the right thing and fire Kidd, and put Skiles as HC. It wouldn't hurt as they can't get any worse than they are right now, can it?

Melo gonna get a sniff of that Dolan money and resign for max.... Or maybe dwade is recruiting him to take his shot chucking to south beach.

Nets fire kidd before Pierce returns imo.

ed: and kobe has been on a decline the past 5 years.. Its not a drop like a cliff(at least not yet), but more like a steady downward slope so far.

Because he still can play, top 5 if he gives a shit.
I still believe in melo

He's a FA so the only teams that would trade for him are places that would want to extend him and where he would want to stay...seems like a narrow, if non-existent, list. I guess Chris Paul could lobby the CLippers since he and Melo are buds but that seems like it would have to be a massive trade that might also involve guys like Blake, Tyson Chandler and DumbAndre. Too big of a commitment. Who else?

Smokey

The thing about this is.. He had it set in his mind before he went up for the layup that he was going to do that dumbass move. He didn't try a reverse to use the rim as a shield. He deliberately said 'I'm going to attempt a fuckit twisting layup and see what happens". You can see it in the way he takes off. It's not like he tried to make an adjustment after he was in the air.

He's a FA so the only teams that would trade for him are places that would want to extend him and where he would want to stay...seems like a narrow, if non-existent, list. I guess Chris Paul could lobby the CLippers since he and Melo are buds but that seems like it would have to be a massive trade that might also involve guys like Blake, Tyson Chandler and DumbAndre. Too big of a commitment. Who else?

Only the Melo to Clips is the one i also see that could happen even if the odds are really really slim.. And because I dont see Knicks wanting DJ and Clips seems they will not give up Griffin, I'm leaning more towards melo resigning with Knicks this offseason.

But I want Melo to get signed/traded to Clips so bad. Melo and CP3 are complimentary to each other. Melo + DJ or Griffin + CP3 is better than CP3 + DJ and Griffin.

Can celtics trade for melo? lol. Shit I got too much faith in Melo.

I wish that Nick Young layup went in.
nah just kidding lol.
Keep being Swaggy P Nick Young

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
10 rpg no longer counts?

When he is in a real offense like Denver he is also a good passer when he gets doubled on the block.

Amare and Bargnani are such amazing rebounders these days. Melo really has to fight for those.

Only the Melo to Clips is the one i also see that could happen even if the odds are really really slim.. And because I dont see Knicks wanting DJ and Clips seems they will not give up Griffin, I'm leaning more towards melo resigning with Knicks this offseason.

But I want Melo to get signed/traded to Clips so bad. Melo and CP3 are complimentary to each other. Melo + DJ or Griffin + CP3 is better than CP3 + DJ and Griffin.

Can celtics trade for melo? lol. Shit I got too much faith in Melo.

I wish that Nick Young layup went in.
nah just kidding lol.
Keep being Swaggy P Nick Young

Celtics would not want anything to do with Melo. That's the problem half the league is tanking and/or incompetent, meanwhile you have like 6 teams that are actually in it but a trade for Melo to them is either undesirable or too complex.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Amare and Bargnani are such amazing rebounders these days. Melo really has to fight for those.

He's been a good rebounder his whole career it's just better statistically at the moment due to shitty shooting% on his team and chandler out.

Dude would still average 7ish on a real franchise.

Top Bottom