• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-14 NBA Dec |OT| The Nets are the Knicks of Basketball

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I traded for Rudy Gay to the Kings in NBA 2K once...

...this is one hell of a sick joke.

I could understand the trade if they were like .500 or so...

But the trade makes no sense when you are one oe the worst teams with a great draft for wings coming

Actually an athletic wing with some range is what they have been missing

But why take that contract now?

Well, if it doesn't work out and they lose more games, they have better chances for a higher pick. Gay is also an expiring next year so he can be used in a trade if he picks up his option for next season.

Blackace

Well, if it doesn't work out and they lose more games, they have better chances for a higher pick. Gay is also an expiring next year so he can be used in a trade if he picks up his option for next season.

A lot ifs with little upside at this point

Omzz

most definitely will be taking the option. no team is gonna throw that kind of money with the way he has been playing.

so glad we got rid of his contract and most of all, him.

Pkaz01

Actually an athletic wing with some range is what they have been missing

But why take that contract now?

I agree but how does he fit with cousins off the court and in a leadership role? The potential for drama is insane.

Maybe their GM is like the joker and just wants chaos because fuck it why not

there really isn't a good long term reason for taking him on, this is the perfect example of a mediocre team situation you do not want to be in. Taking on bad contracts to fight for an 8th seed and an early first round exit. Its just stupid.

pilonv1

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 21m

Some late news just posting now w/ @ramonashelburne: Clippers strongly looking at signing Stephen Jackson to fill growing need on the wing

We Believe reunion with Barnes

exarkun

Yo, Stak5 is coming back? He should just stay free doing his rap thing, beating up former Rockets players in strip clubs.

Vahagn

Pau is cooked.

It's an ankle injury. Pau hasn't been able to play well with slight injuries for years now. Tendinitis had him at 70-75% of himself for long stretches of games. He ain't Pau anymore obviously, but he's not as bad as he was tonight either.

The Kobe TO's will get fixed. It's like I said, it's a combination of a) he's a split second late on recognizing then executing a pass "oh shit he's open, I better pass it to him" and by that time either his teammate stopped looking for the pass or a defender saw the lane. And b) inaccurate passing, he had a few passes that were just way off their mark. Like one that went 5 feet above Jodie's head.

That will get fixed, I'm more worried about him getting blocked on the fadeaway because his fadeaway should be how he can get a shot off at any given point in time. Wizards MJ could still get that shot off at will

Blackace

I agree but how does he fit with cousins off the court and in a leadership role? The potential for drama is insane.

Maybe their GM is like the joker and just wants chaos because fuck it why not

there really isn't a good long term reason for taking him on, this is the perfect example of a mediocre team situation you do not want to be in. Taking on bad contracts to fight for an 8th seed and an early first round exit. Its just stupid.

if they had a shot at the 8th seed, I could see it.

The Kings just fought to stay in Sac-town yada yada yada...

but they have like the 4th worst record in the league right now...

It's an ankle injury. Pau hasn't been able to play well with slight injuries for years now. Tendinitis had him at 70-75% of himself for long stretches of games. He ain't Pau anymore obviously, but he's not as bad as he was tonight either.

The Kobe TO's will get fixed. It's like I said, it's a combination of a) he's a split second late on recognizing then executing a pass "oh shit he's open, I better pass it to him" and by that time either his teammate stopped looking for the pass or a defender saw the lane. And b) inaccurate passing, he had a few passes that were just way off their mark. Like one that went 5 feet above Jodie's head.

That will get fixed, I'm more worried about him getting blocked on the fadeaway because his fadeaway should be how he can get a shot off at any given point in time. Wizards MJ could still get that shot off at will

This was the most concerning thing I saw all night. He should be able to create that distance at will. He even had the spacing necessary to get that shot off

Pkaz01

if they had a shot at the 8th seed, I could see it.

The Kings just fought to stay in Sac-town yada yada yada...

but they have like the 4th worst record in the league right now...

Idk seems like they are just going to end up like the brandon jennings bucks in mediocre town. I could see it if they were in the east taking the gamble on rudy like the raptors did. But in the west? they have no chance

Vahagn

He's lead a team with no talent whatsoever to a .500 record?

That's what he does. The guy has no concept of how to manage a superstar wing or a low post player. It's all PnR and 3's. Super simple offensive scheme + no defensive scheme that relies on athletic perimeter players to pull off.

While its fun to watch a rag tag bunch of guys play together, our ceiling that way is the post-Melo Karl Nuggets. That's pretty much any teams ceiling. Teams like that have never been contenders. I've said this before and will say it again: Since 1980 Dr. J, Magic, Kareem, Bird, Zeke, Jordan, Hakeem, Shaq, Kobe, Timmy, Lebron, Dirk in their prime have won a combined 32 of the 34 chips - with Magic and Kareem overlapping and Shaq and Kobe overlapping some.

Other two teams were Detroit 04 and Bos 08 - basically 3-4 all stars on each team

Ragtag bunch of fun unselfish basketball players is a complete waste of time and winning NBA coaches are usually those that can put their superstars in positions to dominate.

kobefail.gif

lawl at this shot

kobe is going to be the ultimate tank commander

More than the injury, I think that got blocked because that is exactly what t-ross was expecting kobe will be doing.. Im on my couch and i knew that is the shot he will take once he spun to his right. It is the only shot he could do after that move. Kobe's fall made it look worse than it should.

ahh Pacers v Heat cant come soon enough.. This shit is almost like waiting for my favorite game to launch.
PG and his garbage time points can EAD

lawl at this shot

kobe is going to be the ultimate tank commander

THat is one expensive tank commander. The vice tank commander is even better lol.

Vahagn

Same guys been saying for 5 years that Kobe's gonna fall off and it never happens. One bad game after Achilles injury and they celebrating like they were right all along

Smokey

Same guys been saying for 5 years that Kobe's gonna fall off and it never happens. One bad game after Achilles injury and they celebrating like they were right all along

I guess we could celebrate the lakers awarding him $48 million after that Achilles injury

diehard

Fleer

Yes because saying someone will fall off because they are getting older is exactly as saying one would fall off after rupturing an Achilles.

KingGondo

Banned
Teams with an SRS above zero:

Spurs: 8.58
Pacers: 7.18
OKC: 7.02
Blazers: 6.46
Rockets: 6.08
Heat: 5.57
Clippers: 5.08
Warriors: 4.18
Wolves: 3.84
Nuggets: 2.85
Mavs: 2.39
Suns: 1.94
Hawks: 0.02

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

You wish you were right once every five years.

linsivvi

He's been falling off steadily. He just chose to expand his energy on one side of the court to make it look like he's not falling off that much.

linsivvi

Steadily declining ain't the same as falling off. As for defense, how many Nash, Nowitzki, Harden etc etc fans are in this thread

Everybody trashes Nash's defense and Rocket fans are routinely criticizing Harden's defense.

If you've been steadily declining for 5 years then you've reached a point of falling off, especially after a major injury.

Vahagn

Everybody trashes Nash's defense and Rocket fans are routinely criticizing Harden's defense.

If you've been steadily declining for 5 years then you've reached a point of falling off, especially after a major injury.

Rockets fans been thinking Harden's the best SG in the game last year and this, no D required. And "steadily declining" in Kobe's case just means not playing D; it doesn't mean losing offensive ability/production. D that so many other guys never played in the first place.

Yea, he probably won't ever recover, still doesnt change that it's a one game sample size and 5 years of being wrong.

linsivvi

Rockets fans been thinking Harden's the best SG in the game last year and this, no D required. And "steadily declining" in Kobe's case just means not playing D; it doesn't mean losing offensive ability/production. D that so many other guys never played in the first place.

Yea, he probably won't ever recover, still doesnt change that it's a one game sample size and 5 years of being wrong.

That's because he is. It's just a sad state of affair for the SG position right now, even worse than C.

Smokey

One game more than what the lakers looked at before handing him $48 million.

Kobe looked rusty to me but okay physically. The fading block didn't worry me much--Demar timed it well and dude has one of the highest vertical leaps in the game at 6'7.

Top Bottom