• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-14 NBA Dec |OT| The Nets are the Knicks of Basketball

Vire

wait-whats-that-zero-fucks-given.jpg

lol he is going to get destroyed by Hibbert/West tonight
Unleash Oden!

Yea I might lose that--too early to say yet, but with the way the Cats are playing defensively it's hard to see many teams in the East being able to hold up against em.

I really don't know how to feel about this team after the last two losses we took. It's a complete failure in terms of coaching (rotations) and GM work (bench). I hate seeing Wall and Beal have to suffer through another losing season, but it's the only way we can get significant change around here.

Us making the playoffs depends entirely on whether teams that are seemingly trying to win actually start doing it - i.e. the Knicks, Nets, Cavs, and Pistons. It's still too early in the season to make reasonable assumptions of how that will shake out. That said I do think you guys, the Hawks, Bulls, and of course Miami and Indiana are all playoff bound though.

You are totally right about your bench, something has to be done to address it before you get Wall injured again from over exhertion. Getting rid of Whitman would be great, but Maynor is your biggest problem right now imo. Either dump Maynor for someone serviceable or make Beal your 6th man when he and Webster come back. Doing both would be preferable.

Meh. Leaves a massive hole at backup PG.

I feel you, though honestly Ariza is more useful in your toughest matchups.

Something like Westbrook, Thabo, Ariza, Durant, Ibaka is exactly what you'd need against the Heat lizard. Jackson isn't likely to be a difference maker in a finals scenario.

Didn't see this article previously, but if anybody wants to see Rudy Gay get ethered it's worth a read. Some highlights:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptors/2013/12/08/rudy_gay_trade_shows_the_tank_is_on_kelly.html

Toronto Star said:
In off-loading flighty wing and human anvil Rudy Gay to the Sacramento Kings, Raptors GM Masai Ujiri has finally given the order for this season — “Dive”.

Short-term, there is one small problem with the deal — it may tend to make the Raptors better.

Gay was plumbing career lows in field goals made, as well as a career high in shots attempted. If the goal all along was to lose games, Gay was a mission critical part of the package.

An obsession of previous GM Bryan Colangelo, Gay never really fit with the Raptors. DeMar DeRozan overshadowed him most of this year, largely by doing things Gay refused to do — like thinking. A smarter, younger, harder-working version of Gay, DeRozan now has more room to flower on the wing.

While most of what the Kings are sending back is human gristle, Vasquez represents a sizable boost in quality.

It’s a testament to Ujiri’s skill that he has now off-loaded the franchise’s two most notorious flaming tires (Gay and Andrea Bargnani) in less than six months.

It also outlines the delicious master plan to tank by starting Dwight Buycks at PG and acquiring another top 15 pick by trading Lowry.

It's been a long time since I've felt this proud of my GM. Build a loser Masai, you can do it!

Didn't see this article previously, but if anybody wants to see Rudy Gay get ethered it's worth a read. Some highlights:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptors/2013/12/08/rudy_gay_trade_shows_the_tank_is_on_kelly.html

It also outlines the delicious master plan to tank by starting Dwight Buycks at PG and acquiring another top 15 pick by trading Lowry.

It's been a long time since I've felt this proud of my GM. Build a loser Masai, you can do it!

I'm glad you guys are finally moving in a positive direction, but the most you're getting for Lowry are some expirings and a second. No one is going to give up a top 15 pick for a half year rental of Lowry. Most of the teams fighting for contention have traded their pick this year already, the rest don't need help at PG.

Edit: I take that back, I could see the Bulls swapping Hinrich for Lowry if they believe Rose isn't done for good and can make it back for the playoffs.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I'm glad you guys are finally moving in a positive direction, but the most you're getting for Lowry are some expirings and a second. No one is going to give up a top 15 pick for a half year rental of Lowry. Most of the teams fighting for contention have traded their pick this year already, the rest don't need help at PG.

Pretty much, only way we'd even get a sniff of a first round pick would be if Colangelo becomes a GM in the next month or if some team borderline playoff team suffers a catastrophic injury to their starting PG and get really desperate.

KingGondo

Banned
I feel you, though honestly Ariza is more useful in your toughest matchups.

Something like Westbrook, Thabo, Ariza, Durant, Ibaka is exactly what you'd need against the Heat lizard. Jackson isn't likely to be a difference maker in a finals scenario.
The thing we need against the Heat is being able to control the boards while still defending the perimeter.

I'd actually love to see a Reggie-YNB-Lamb-Durant-Ibaka lineup against Miami. Durant at PF and Ibaka at C is surprisingly lethal.

Emwitus

The thing we need against the Heat is being able to control the boards while still defending the perimeter.

I'd actually love to see a Reggie-YNB-Lamb-Durant-Ibaka lineup against Miami. Durant at PF and Ibaka at C is surprisingly lethal.

Does not compute

EDIT: Actually after looking at the numbers, i had no idea durant was such a good rebounder? Color me surprised.

Pretty much, only way we'd even get a sniff of a first round pick would be if Colangelo becomes a GM in the next month or if some team borderline playoff team suffers a catastrophic injury to their starting PG and get really desperate.

If you didn't see my edit, the Bulls could be that team. It all depends on whether or not they believe Rose will ever be the player he was again. If not there's no way they're trading picks for a short-term improvement to the roster. If they do still believe he'll be the same player again and make it back for the playoffs, a Hinrich Lowry swap makes a lot of sense.

exarkun

wait-whats-that-zero-fucks-given.jpg

LOL Phee keepin it real. I like it.

To be honest though, if I was Miami Id try to match intensity. Pacers wants that eastern conference title so bad that its palpable during their games. And it'll only fester and grow as the season goes on. Miami has had the unbelievable ability to real turn on and off the championship quality play and intensity, but this season might be the one where they have start that shit way earlier than they did last year. Also, they aint winning 27 games or whatever again.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
So Granger is sitting out this game because its too important of a game to play in for him.

At least he acknowledges the fact hes a scrub now I guess.

National Post said:
TORONTO — A reporter asked Masai Ujiri if his team, the perpetually struggling Toronto Raptors, was in full teardown mode. Ujiri, no doubt feeling a little relief after being able to trade Rudy Gay and his expensive contract, could only laugh.

“All of those T words, I don’t know,” the Raptors general manager said Monday evening. “You changed it up on me. You used a different one now.”

So, let’s say it for Ujiri: The Toronto Raptors are tanking. They have no intention of winning this year. If you are a Raptors fan, you might as well start cheering for losses. The Raptors’ draft lottery odds cannot get high enough.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013...ay-it-but-the-raptors-have-entered-tank-mode/

*Sniff*

You guys...you guys can't know what this means to my struggling people. For years, we suffered under the Colangelistas. "Improve on the fly," was the propaganda. "Internal development, grow while winning, build a winning culture," those were the slogans their ministry of thought bombarded us with.

Always, the same crumbling infrastructure...no defence, no rebounding, and the only improvement for my starving people would be overpaying Jason Kapono to jack 3s off the bench. "Bargnani is a #1 pick!" they told us. "He will bring about great liberation and people's victory!" "Hedo Turkoglu is a star! He'll mesh perfectly with a Bosh/Bargnani front court!"

Finally, finally we have a leader who is willing to just say fuck that, you can't win anything without a top 10 player, and you only get them through the draft.

I feel as though a great darkness has been lifted over my homeland.

Bosh is right about this game not being important in the grand scheme of things, but he's fooling himself if he thinks the team won't respond to the Pacers' intensity. That kind of energy tends to infectious, Miami will definitely respond to it.

Vahagn

How do you share your votes?

Fuck it

East:
Bron
PG
Drummond
Wall
Kyrie

West:
Durant
Blake
Dwight
CP3
Lillard

I want a fun all star game, coaches can pick up the remaining boring players that "deserve" it like Aldridge and Dirk

you haven't watched basketball this year, have you?

As I said, I'll pick the most exciting players and let coaches round out the team with boring guys who deserve it. Some players aren't suited for the all star game type of game. Dudes like Richard Hamilton or Caron Butler or Luol Deng or Pau or even recent Timmy and Dirk.

There are guys like LMA and Afflalo who deserve to be on the team, and I hope they are. But I'm voting for the guys I wanna see go at it because I think it will be the most fun

Tom Penny

Raptors clearly saw the C'z obliterate the Knicks and gave up all hope. I fear they might play down to their inferior competion in the Nets though.

miami is scared.
6f7d7db4_350x700px-LL-4ad90b08_Not-sure-if-serious2.jpeg

How do you share your votes?

Pick your players, Print screen, paste on MS Paint, crop, save then upload the file on imgur.com

that shit is racist

East is all black, seems balanced to me.

B-EASY will save him.
Kidding, CB is in for a loooooong night
I hope Heat will take this game seriously, half a fuck will be enough.. Ok to lose but no fuckin way I would want to get blown out by PacerZzzzzzz.

So so far, I think I did the best ASG first 5. :D

giri

Saw that. He looked so sketchy yesterday.

I REALLY hope this works out for the Kings. I just can't see it working though.

;(

And just when DMC looks like he's starting to get it together. 22.6 ppg on .492 and 10.4 rbg. (i'm choosing to ignore the really bad 3.4 TO)

Though, really, he could lose half of his turnovers if he would stop attempting to lead the fast break. It's stupid. Once a game he will try to run a fast break and bring the ball up the court to get stripped and have it turn into an easy bucket on the other end.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
People are still on that John Wall hypetrain or is it because the East is such shit this season?

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Noah, Deng, Butler, and of course Rose out tonight. Bucks better not ruin this tank.

Wow 4 starters out. If I weren't completely numb to this shit I would be depressed. At what point does the front office realize they need more bodies?

Also is it a coincidence that all these guys started breaking down when Thibs became head coach? He needs to chill the fuck out lol

giri

People are still on that John Wall hypetrain or is it because the East is such shit this season?

He's having the best season out of a bunch of terrible PG's.

Kyrie is stinking it up.
Kemba's FG% is abysmal.
Rondo is dead.
Jennings is still bad.
Deron is dead.
Felton is fat.

is there anyone else?
Rose is dead too.
Jameer is dead.

MCW or Lowry might legit be the second best PG's in the east. Maybe Teague?

Wow 4 starters out. If I weren't completely numb to this shit I would be depressed. At what point does the front office realize they need more bodies?

Also is it a coincidence that all these guys started breaking down when Thibs became head coach? He needs to chill the fuck out lol

Every time I get mad at Thibs, I just think about Tim Floyd and Vinny Del Negro. Never again, please.

Top Bottom