• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-14 NBA Oct-Nov Season |OT| They can't hide the championship banners Forever

Emwitus

D'antoni isn't going to tank the season. He wants to prove that he can have a good team without a superstar. What better way to do it. Don't be surprised to see gasol getting traded for some border line star as well. He hates his guts and i'm sure gasol feels the same. Guy is the main dude on the team but he still takes almost 70% of his shots from the outside. It's like a big F U to D'antoni.

linsivvi

lakers people are beating up on gondo as a way to divert from the unrepentant catastrophe that was the dwight howard trade for them

if kd leaves then ynb might well be traded/"injured" and okc can at least bottom out, the lakers are on the fast track to becoming hawks west for the next 5 years

Or could it be because some of us are a fan of Harden's game and said from day 1 that it was a terrible trade?

You can check last year's offseason thread if you don't believe me.

The only thing that's surprising that it didn't take him any time to become to best SG while most expected it would take him a couple seasons.

It's really just a matter of how quickly Lamb and Adams can develop before Durants contract is up.

They've got two years to become dependable playoff contributers otherwise Durats a lock to leave.

Those guys' ceilings are role players. Harden is a top 15 guy. I'd take 3 top 15 guys and run the risk of filling out the rest of my roster with crap.

What was so terrible about the Dwight trade? I was saying even before it happened that even if Dwigt walked it'd be a own because we would be rid of Bynum and erase the chance of Jimmy panicking and giving him an extension. If anything the Nash trade is looking far worse than the Dwight one.

Emwitus

Those guys' ceilings are role players. Harden is a top 15 guy. I'd take 3 top 15 guys and run the risk of filling out the rest of my roster with crap.

What was so terrible about the Dwight trade? I was saying even before it happened that even if Dwigt walked it'd be a own because we would be rid of Bynum and erase the chance of Jimmy panicking and giving him an extension. If anything the Nash trade is looking far worse than the Dwight one.

Any level headed gm would have called that shit. We were getting killed by point guards for years then you go out and sign an almost 40 year old with back problems to pair with an aging core. Pathetic.

KingGondo

Banned
It's really just a matter of how quickly Lamb and Adams can develop before Durants contract is up.

They've got two years to become dependable playoff contributers otherwise Durats a lock to leave.
I agree with this. Either this happens, or we swing a great trade to add a guy like Horford/LMA as a third piece and keep most of our young talent.

Other than that, I can definitely see him leaving.
lakers people are beating up on gondo as a way to divert from the unrepentant catastrophe that was the dwight howard trade for them

if kd leaves then ynb might well be traded/"injured" and okc can at least bottom out, the lakers are on the fast track to becoming hawks west for the next 5 years
Yesssss. We invented bottoming out and returning stronger than ever. Presti's got this.

You'd have to get back what you gave just for it to be a wash. If Adams becomes a premiere big man (lol), I think that'd be a win. But if Adams busts, then Lamb would need to be a top 5 SG.

And pls, Pau leaving Memphis and Dwight leaving ORL was nearly as bad.

Mem was ass without Pau and middling with him, Dwight was forcing his way out. All 3 were lopsided trades, but as of right noe OKC got the worst oackage out of thise 3. Kwame Brown would at least be useful in OKC.
Adams is useful and better than Kwame right now:
Daily Thunder said:
Another thing: Per SportVU, [Adams has] a 73.3 percent contested rebound percentage. That’s crazy high (comparatively, Dwight Howard’s is 25.5). Again SMALL SAMPLE SIZE THEATER HERE, but it does appear that if Adams is in the area of a rebound, he gets it. He’s got great hands, and he really secures rebounds.
Hnggggg. Put him in the starting lineup already!

Again, only time will tell. Everybody (and I mean EVERYBODY) was shitting on Memphis and Orlando for those trades. Popovich wanted the league to launch an inquiry into the Pau trade because it looked so ridiculous at the time, and Orlando gave up the best C in the league for leftovers from several other teams (one of which ended up being Vucevic).

Branduil

OKC should have traded Ibaka and Westbrook for Dwight. You'd have basically the same team as Houston except with Kevin Durant instead of Chandler Parsons.

I would just like to point out that a lot of people, before he was traded, saw Harden as one of the, if not the, top SGs in the league. People who were suprised that he dominated were not watching,

diehard

Fleer
Quick quiz-type question:

what was the last team to have two people average double-doubles and still be a losing team? Or maybe even two big men to do that?

(i have no idea).

With their opponents shooting a ridiculous 79.1 percent in the restricted area, it's safe to say that the Wizards miss Emeka Okafor.

katblankstare.gif

Again, only time will tell. Everybody (and I mean EVERYBODY) was shitting on Memphis and Orlando for those trades. Popovich wanted the league to launch an inquiry into the Pau trade because it looked so ridiculous at the time, and Orlando gave up the best C in the league for leftovers from several other teams (one of which ended up being Vucevic).

Memphis deserved to be shitted on for helping LA, but they were fighting just for playoff contention and Dwight forced his way out.

OKC was in the Finals and Harden wanted to stay, he was devastated when it went down.

If Dwight wanted to stay, he'd still Be in ORL. If MEM made it to the finals in part by Pau, he'd still be there.

This is pretty disingenuous comparison for a couple of reasons. For one, nobody disputed that the Magic and Grizzlies SHOULD trade Howard and Gasol respectively, they just took issue with what they got in return. On the other hand, the issue people have with the Harden trade was OKC trading him at all instead of keeping him.

Secondly, the Grizzlies had peaked as an 8 seed and pretty much gotten as far as they could with Pau before blowing it up. Dwight had asked the Magic to trade him and had no intention of resigning, so it was also in their best interest to blow it up. The Thunder were coming off a Finals appearance and had 3 of the top 15-20 players in the world on their team, all under 25 years of age. Those teams could afford to trade their franchise guy for bit pieces and guys that were a few years away, guys like Marc Gasol who they could wait on, because their whole franchise was a few years away. If Adams and Lamb take 2 years to develop into nice players, that's 2 years of KD/Westbrook's prime you just wasted. The Thunder did not need to blow it up. They did not need to panic or rush into a trade. Everyone could see this coming as soon as they gave Perkins and Ibaka the money they did, so Presti should have seen it too. He essentially chose Ibaka over Harden, and I'm sorry, but nobody in their right mind would trade Serge Ibaka for James Harden, even if you include a couple of role players like Adams and Lamb. It was just a bad, lopsided trade done at the wrong time and was the culmination of Presti trying to be smarter than the room, and, worst of all, it never even needed to happen.

giri

Or could it be because some of us are a fan of Harden's game and said from day 1 that it was a terrible trade?

You can check last year's offseason thread if you don't believe me.

The only thing that's surprising that it didn't take him any time to become to best SG while most expected it would take him a couple seasons.
Actually I clowned the ibaka extension because its what caused the whole mess for a very limited role player.

Set expectations for harden in terms of salary range. Said okc are either going all in or presti is alot more limited than we thought.

KingGondo

Banned
OKC should have traded Ibaka and Westbrook for Dwight. You'd have basically the same team as Houston except with Kevin Durant instead of Chandler Parsons.
The big problem with this was that Dwight hadn't been extended yet, and it was far from a certainty that he would re-sign with little old OKC. Hell, he got traded into a seemingly-dream situation with the Lakers and left there too.

That's a lot to give up for a guy as fickle as Dwight without having an extension in place.

Moris said:
Memphis deserved to be shitted on for helping LA, but they were fighting just for playoff contention and Dwight forced his way out.

OKC was in the Finals and Harden wanted to stay, he was devastated when it went down.

If Dwight wanted to stay, he'd still Be in ORL. If MEM made it to the finals in part by Pau, he'd still be there.
OKC is still a contender even after trading Harden. And the entire point of my original post is that we won't know exactly what OKC got from the Harden trade for at least a few months, and probably longer.

It'll be a lot easier to shit on/give credit to the trade with the benefit of hindsight. And until at least the middle of the season, I'm pretty tired of discussing it ad nauseam.

Same applies to Ninja's post above ^^^.

I still expect this team to be right there contending this season assuming we stay healthy, and feel free to shove this post back in my face if I'm wrong.

exarkun

As a Rockets' fan, I just wish we would had given OKC Royce White instead of Lamb

I dont think anyone would be dumb enough to have agreed to this.

Also, I forgot to say gg to Jazz fans for the last game...not! You guys suck. Gordon Hayward worth 13 mil? Looooooool. Dude should get 8 and be happy. Hes not even on our white boi's level.

(that said, I mean no disrespect to diehard and the rest of jazz age, you good peeps, but i hate your team).

Evan Dunlap ‏@BQRMagic 1h
Knicks defensive rating w/ Bargnani on bench: 82.6. Knicks defensive rating w/ Bargnani on floor: 113.1.

Felton-Shumpert-Melo-Bargs-Chandler has a defensive rating of 133. lol

In hindsight we could've gotten a lot more for him, but he was way undervalued at the time by the whole league, not just by us.

I don't think so. He was valued about the same as prime-Ginobili, that is to say that nobody actually believed Harden was really a sixth man and wasn't one of the top guards in the league.

The fact that the Thunder shipped him out at the beginning of the season was bizarre. You don't trade a dollar for four quarters, but what the Thunder did was the equivalent of trading a dollar for 10 dimes.

it must have been getting cold in OKC because Presti shut the window.

Legitimately lolled.

are the Jazz really worth hating right now

Its like hating the Lakers right now...

The Lakers are always worth hating. Always. If Aliens wanted to invade Earth, but we could stave it off via winning a basketball game vs. the Alpha Centauri Ant-Eaters, and the Earth's representative team was the Los Angeles Lakers, I'd still find it hard to cheer for the Lakers.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
The Lakers are always worth hating. Always. If Aliens wanted to invade Earth, but we could stave it off via winning a basketball game vs. the Alpha Centauri Ant-Eaters, and the Earth's representative team was the Los Angeles Lakers, I'd still find it hard to cheer for the Lakers.

that pure unmitigated hate ..... is glorious

Smokey

The Harden trade will forever be talked about here and everywhere else. Everytime it's brought up scoot says the same thing. Moris says the same thing. We all say the same damn thing. Gondo responds with the company line everytime. And its only the start of year 2.

Poor Gondo

diehard

Fleer

But the thing is... losing helps them right now, but its hard to actually want them to win.

So its not really worth investing any energy in.

Forever

Banned
The Harden trade will forever be talked about here and everywhere else. Everytime it's brought up scoot says the same thing. Moris says the same thing. We all say the same damn thing. Gondo responds with the company line everytime. And its only the start of year 2.

Poor Gondo

The shit will only really hit the fan when Durant leaves. Then the whole saga of the Sonics/Thunder will go down in history like a Greek Tragedy.

KingGondo

Banned

Poor Gondo
By far my biggest regret about the Harden trade is that we created a potential monster and roadblock in our own conference. I still love our team as currently constructed (except for Perk, fuck that guy in his ass).

If we had traded him to Washington or somewhere like that I'd feel way better about the whole thing.

By far my biggest regret about the Harden trade is that we created a potential monster and roadblock in our own conference. I still love our team as currently constructed (except for Perk, fuck that guy in his ass).

If we had traded him to Washington or somewhere like that I'd feel way better about the whole thing.

you love the bench?

Emwitus

It'll be a bitch beating the rockets. Roadblock is an understatement.

But the thing is... losing helps them right now, but its hard to actually want them to win.

So its not really worth investing any energy in.

Yeah this makes it tough to watch. We desperately need to tank for Wiggins/Randle but when I watch, I'm rooting for my team like always and get frustrated with bad play. I can't actively root against my team while the game is going on, I'm not built that way and we shouldn't be. Only after it's over can I talk about the tank. It would be so much easier to just not watch this season accept that's impossible. I've watched since I've had a cognitive thought.

KingGondo

Banned
you love the bench?
With YNB back it's a competent group.

Not saying it can't get better, but everything makes much more sense when we have YNB as the starting PG.

YNB-Jackson
Thabo-Lamb
KD-PJ3
Ibaka-Collison
Perk-Adams

Hopefully Adams will step into Perk's starting role as the season proceeds.

Has anyone with asthma ever gotten significant burn in the NBA?

I know McGee can't seem to ever hit over 25 with any consistency even as an athletic freak. Might just be because he's animal dumb though.

Top Bottom