• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-14 NBA Oct-Nov Season |OT| They can't hide the championship banners Forever

The Wizards' bench is getting outscored by around 20 points per 100 possessions while the starters are mostly holding their own with a point differential not much worse than 0, what the fuck.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
That gif doesn't really show the actual contact well.

You can see the contact very well..

and then this angle there is no debate

822646587awqor.gif

Blackace

I just mean the part where he sells the contact to make sure he gets the call. you're right though, it's not that bad comparatively.

If I kick you in the face you won't need to sell the contact... because it will happen and your natural reaction will be to recoil from it (unless you are fighting and even then you might react the same)

Not really, it looks like it stops right before it hits his face.

That other gif is better though.

Wait, what? ...his ankle/shin area definitively made contact with his face. Well, unless a strong wind made Chris' cheek rise up. What happens after I don't know, but in that gif it's an obvious foul.

giri

I think the kick connected.

Not sure it's a flagrant 2.

He faked the pass right before he picked up the dribble, TA has obviously jumped to try and block the pass and has thrown his leg out to try and get at the ball.

Flagrant 1, excessive force, sure. Easy.

Flagrant 2, not going for the ball/intent? hmmm not sure about that.

Yes really
look at the waves from contact like you see in boxing..

tony2.gif

This gif? Naw. CP already has a small head, in this gif its like 25*25 pixels, on a 1080p monitor you can barely even see his head without moving close. And you really can't see past tony's leg.

Not that big a deal because I can see it in the other gif but If people wanna keep going on about it I'll still make my case.

even if it doesn't kick him that's natural human reaction to cock your head back

with that being said i pretty damn sure it got him

I think the kick connected.

Not sure it's a flagrant 2.

He faked the pass right before he picked up the dribble, TA has obviously jumped to try and block the pass and has thrown his leg out to try and get at the ball.

Flagrant 1, excessive force, sure. Easy.

Flagrant 2, not going for the ball/intent? hmmm not sure about that.

It was a flagrant 2. It was unnecessary and excessive contact. Intent doesn't necessarily matter.

A flagrant foul-penalty (2) is unnecessary and excessive contact committed by a player against an opponent. It is an unsportsmanlike act and the offender is ejected immediately.

considering Cp3 wasn't much lower than standing straight up, there is no justification for TA's foot to be that high up. Trying to intercept a pass doesn't bring one's foot to above 4 feet status, let alone nearly 6, ever. And it's hard to argue a kick to the face isn't excessive.

I watched it live, thought he deserved to be kicked out for it. Cp3 is lucky to not have had his nose broken. I don't know if TA intended to do that but his action warranted a flagrant 2 IMO.

As for the rest, no one should be seriously discussing shadow's position on this. Acknowledging it even exists is bad enough.

First time watching the Blazers tonight, their shooting was insane. They were outrebounded and yet were able to stay in the game and win.

Granted I missed the fourth quarter but that was just ridiculous. The logical part of me says they can't keep doing that, but then I see 9-2.

Hmm.

Easy schedule so far. Chicago and @gstate for 2 of the 3 next games. We'll see how they do then.

It was a flagrant 2. It was unnecessary and excessive contact. Intent doesn't necessarily matter.

considering Cp3 wasn't much lower than standing straight up, there is no justification for TA's foot to be that high up. Trying to intercept a pass doesn't bring one's foot to above 4 feet status, let alone nearly 6, ever. And it's hard to argue a kick to the face isn't excessive.

I watched it live, thought he deserved to be kicked out for it. Cp3 is lucky to not have had his nose broken. I don't know if TA intended to do that but his action warranted a flagrant 2 IMO.

As for the rest, no one should be seriously discussing shadow's position on this. Acknowledging it even exists is bad enough.

What position? That this one gif didn't really show the connection that well? Oh the humanity!!!

exarkun

Things worth mentioning from todays basketball games:

Wtf Nets, you kind of suck.

OKC has trouble playing consistent ball, and there is no defense. Yea, the nuggs were hot, but cmon, its the nuggets. They all look like they've been eating Dunkin Donuts while sneaking in GTAV time in between mouthfuls and telling Shaw to EAD.

Utah truly has a masterful tank going. Led by the best Tank Commander: Richard Jefferson. There is no better tank commander. I dare you to find one (Bennett doesnt count because hes apparently actually trying).

Finally, Clippers have no identity.

Blackace

tony2.gif

This gif? Naw. CP already has a small head, in this gif its like 25*25 pixels, on a 1080p monitor you can barely even see his head without moving close. And you really can't see past tony's leg.

Not that big a deal because I can see it in the other gif but If people wanna keep going on about it I'll still make my case.

this gif.. yeah.

time for an eye check up..

giri

The un-sportsmanlike part is relevant. Players flare their leg out to block passes all the time. Particularly when a player has indicated they are going to pass, which CP3 did.

It's a relevant / legitimate basketball move. It had no intent to it. Flagrant 1 is all it really deserved. He has only raised his leg, he didn't kick it AT CP3.

Unlucky? Sure. But that's a really weak flagrant 2. There's much worse than that, that doesn't even get called a foul, let alone a flagrant. Poor call.

Blackace

Things worth mentioning from todays basketball games:

Wtf Nets, you kind of suck.

OKC has trouble playing consistent ball, and there is no defense. Yea, the nuggs were hot, but cmon, its the nuggets. They all look like they've been eating Dunkin Donuts while sneaking in GTAV time in between mouthfuls and telling Shaw to EAD.

Utah truly has a masterful tank going. Led by the best Tank Commander: Richard Jefferson. There is no better tank commander. I dare you to find one (Bennett doesnt count because hes apparently actually trying).

Finally, Clippers have no identity.

first of all, if Richard Jefferson is starting for your team, you aren't tanking.. you are horrible.

And sure they do, I don't really see how you could say that about them. They are bad on D still tho..

Blackace

The un-sportsmanlike part is relevant. Players flare their leg out to block passes all the time. Particularly when a player has indicated they are going to pass, which CP3 did.

It's a relevant / legitimate basketball move. It had no intent to it. Flagrant 1 is all it really deserved. He has only raised his leg, he didn't kick it AT CP3.

Unlucky? Sure. But that's a really weak flagrant 2. There's much worse than that, that doesn't even get called a foul, let alone a flagrant. Poor call.

Well the NBA has made it clear they will protect their stars.

And he faked the pass well before Allen lifted his leg.. It was more of a Bruce Bowen move than legit D

Zep

Banned
And sure they do, I don't really see how you could say that about them. They are bad on D still tho..

Down the stretch of multiple games this year, their offense reverted back into Vinnie ball...With Paul bailing them out. Its basically what Miami looked like their first year together when it came to ball movement, non-existent with Wade and James just overpowering teams by themselves. I have no doubts Doc will have them playing better ball, but right now, they don't know what the fuck they are offensively.

I can't recall anyone trying to block a pass by bringing their foot up 5 feet in the air. Players stick their legs out, sure, but the foot goes maybe 2 feet up.

What Allen did was completely non-basketball related and put players in harm's way. Not at all legitimate basketball move.

He doesn't have to kick it at CP3. Flagrant 2 doesn't require intent to injure, it can just as easily be an unintentional move that has a high risk of causing injury.

giri

Well the NBA has made it clear they will protect their stars.

And he faked the pass well before Allen lifted his leg.. It was more of a Bruce Bowen move than legit D

Eh, TA was committed to the move before the ball was in both of CP3's hands.

The NBA should be more worried about how many people are getting poked/scratched in the eye in the post this year. There's been about 5 separate occurrences that I've seen.

Blackace

Eh, TA was committed to the move before the ball was in both of CP3's hands.

The NBA should be more worried about how many people are getting poked/scratched in the eye in the post this year. There's been about 5 separate occurrences that I've seen.

He was in the air off the pass... so sticking the leg out was to stop the drive..

giri

I can't recall anyone trying to block a pass by bringing their foot up 5 feet in the air. Players stick their legs out, sure, but the foot goes maybe 2 feet up.

What Allen did was completely non-basketball related and put players in harm's way. Not at all legitimate basketball move.

He doesn't have to kick it at CP3. Flagrant 2 doesn't require intent to injure, it can just as easily be an unintentional move that has a high risk of causing injury.

The intent,speak to the unsportsman like portion, an actual part of the definition. The second part about injury is just something you've added on.

And if you haven't seen that before, you should watch more closely.

He was in the air off the pass... so sticking the leg out was to stop the drive..

Players flare their leg out to block passes all the time. Particularly when a player has indicated they are going to pass, which CP3 did.

It's a relevant / legitimate basketball move.

Eh, this isn't worth that much discussion.

Grizz won again. Go grizz!

The intent,speak to the unsportsman like portion, an actual part of the definition. The second part about injury is just something you've added on.

And if you haven't seen that before, you should watch more closely.

Eh, this isn't worth that much discussion.

Grizz won again. Go grizz!

Nobody sticks their foot out at head level. That's an unsportsmanlike move. Nobody ever does that unless their name is Bruce.

linsivvi

Nobody sticks their foot out at head level. That's an unsportsmanlike move. Nobody ever does that unless their name is Bruce.

Yep. Not to mention unsportsmanlike is only used as the description of "unnecessary and excessive contact", which is the actual definition of flagrant 2 and as justification for the ejection.

Kicking one's leg that high with other players around is illegal even in soccer. I don't know why this is even arguable.

diehard

Fleer
first of all, if Richard Jefferson is starting for your team, you aren't tanking.. you are horrible.

People seems to often misconstrue what tanking is. Players don't tank (there some extenuating circumstances) , Management does.

Jazz were tanking when they made the trade for Jefferson and Biedrins and a first rounder, and let every free agent go.

Right now i would say we are a PG and one more good player away from being a pretty good team, as crazy as that sounds.

Blackace

People seems to often misconstrue what tanking is. Players don't tank (there some extenuating circumstances) , Management does.

Jazz were tanking when they made the trade for Jefferson and Biedrins and a first rounder, and let every free agent go.

Right now i would say we are a PG and one more good player away from being a pretty good team, as crazy as that sounds.

I almost agree.. one of your youngings have to bear a bit more fruit but you are pretty what Portland was

giri

Yep. Not to mention unsportsmanlike is only used as the description of "unnecessary and excessive contact", which is the actual definition of flagrant 2 and as justification for the ejection.

Kicking one's leg that high with other players around is illegal even in soccer. I don't know why this is even arguable.

Excessive is the only thing that separates a F1 from a F2.

i wouldn't have said it was excessive, just entirely unnecessary. It wasn't propelled at CP3, just raised in front. Excessive to me would have been if he actually propelled his foot.

It's no worse than the blocks that go wrong that are charged as F1's.

Top Bottom