• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-14 NBA Oct-Nov Season |OT| They can't hide the championship banners Forever

linsivvi

I seriously doubt lin will get in over westbrook, harden, curry, parker, paul, or injured kobe. (maybe for injured kobe)

FINAL WESTERN CONFERENCE 2013 NBA ALL-STAR VOTING RESULTS

Backcourt: Kobe Bryant (LAL) 1,591,437, Chris Paul (LAC) 929,155, Jeremy Lin (Hou) 883,809, James Harden (Hou) 485,986, Russell Westbrook (OKC) 376,411, Steve Nash (LAL) 270,741, Tony Parker (SA) 176,168, Stephen Curry (GS) 169,083, Ricky Rubio (Min) 150,227, Manu Ginobili (SA) 118,293

Westbrook + Harden didn't even have as many votes as Lin.

on his latest podcast Bill Simmons legitimately proposed a Jamal Crawford for Asik trade like it was the greatest trade idea ever. I was at the gym listening and probably had the
bv6ye.png
look on my face the whole time

thekad

Banned
on his latest podcast Bill Simmons legitimately proposed a Jamal Crawford for Asik trade like it was the greatest trade idea ever. I was at the gym listening and probably had the
bv6ye.png
look on my face the whole time
The "improve teams I like no matter how stupid it sounds" trade is classic Simmons.

22ppg, 9.4rpg on .475 shooting.

he's playing better, but there's room for improvement still.

I don't know if him getting way more shots is actually him improving. He's using possessions at a rate only Jordan, Kobe, and Iverson have ever surpassed in a season, but I'm not sure that is actually helpful when the efficiency of those possessions is so low.

I don't know if him getting way more shots is actually him improving. He's using possessions at a rate only Jordan, Kobe, and Iverson have ever surpassed in a season, but I'm not sure that is actually helpful when the efficiency of those possessions is so low.

His TS%, TRB%, AST% have gotten worse this year, so far. But his block % has gone up a lot and he decreased his TOV% a lot, probably because he's just shooting more rather than passing.

Possibly an argument could be made that he should be shooting more than passing since his TOV% was so high so a bad shot > bad pass.

Then again, the case could then be made no one should pass him the ball.

It'll be hilarious when he gets the max.

Zep

Banned
I must be missing the joke about him getting a max deal?

I hope Mamba isn't acting like the Lakers wouldn't do the same thing if they had him. Along with every other team in the NBA.

I must be missing the joke about him getting a max deal?

I hope Mamba isn't acting like the Lakers wouldn't do the same thing if they had him. Along with every other team in the NBA.

I'd like to think other teams wouldn't be so stupid, but you're probably right that most teams would do it.

It's still hilarious. Cousins ain't worth anything near the max. He's an inefficient C that shoots way too much without justifying it by being a beast on D.

giri

I don't agree with them running so many possessions through him, and so predictably too. Mainly the predictable part. But He's probably the only legitimate offensive threat on the floor for them. And it's really the first time they've featured him in the 3 years he's been on the damn team.

Their sets are really really basic too. But the kings have looked better with him on the floor, than off. When he goes off the floor, their systems seem to fall apart entirely.

He's got issues with his game he needs to work out (i.e. stop trying to lead the break as the ball handler, you can't, you're not agile enough, and your handle is bad), but i think they're at least heading in the right direction over there.

iamblades

His TS%, TRB%, AST% have gotten worse this year, so far. But his block % has gone up a lot and he decreased his TOV% a lot, probably because he's just shooting more rather than passing.

Possibly an argument could be made that he should be shooting more than passing since his TOV% was so high so a bad shot > bad pass.

Then again, the case could then be made no one should pass him the ball.

It'll be hilarious when he gets the max.

Most of his high TOV% was because of travels, overhandling the ball and offensive fouls, not bad passes. at least that's what it has seemed like to me. I can't find stats that account for bad passes vs ball handling and player control TOs.

Just looking at his shotchart it seems like he is taking fewer shots from 10+ feet out(though still too many) at least, though the shot chart doesn't split out 'at rim' shots from short jumpers. But at 8 ft and in his is posting his highest career fg% at 57%. That is still just average for a center, but it's an improvement. One thing his shot charts do make obvious is that he should treat the right side of the court like it has lava, he is absolutely terrible on the right side of the court.

Really though Sacramento doesn't really have another volume scorer they can just iso and get something, so he kinda has to take a ton of shots. Looking at his stat splits it seems his offenseive production is mostly irrelevant in wins vs. losses, but in wins he gets to the line noticeably more, rebounds more, and does better defensively(at least statistically, it's hard to judge actual defense without breaking down film). Getting him to consistently work on the boards and on defensive is hugely more important to the success of the team.

Zep

Banned
Cousins biggest issue right now is getting himself stuck in tight spaces when help comes. He's elite at beating any big man one on one with moves or brute strength, but he gets himself so deep sometimes he can't pass out and forces up a terrible shot.

And I think his shooting is justified. He can literally get anywhere he wants to down on the block. I do want to see him make better decisions when the scoring opportunity isn't there though. Definitely an area he needs to improve.

Most of his high TOV% was because of travels, overhandling the ball and offensive fouls, not bad passes. at least that's what it has seemed like to me. I can't find stats that account for bad passes vs ball handling and player control TOs.

Just looking at his shotchart it seems like he is taking fewer shots from 10+ feet out(though still too many) at least, though the shot chart doesn't split out 'at rim' shots from short jumpers. But at 8 ft and in his is posting his highest career fg% at 57%. That is still just average for a center, but it's an improvement. One thing his shot charts do make obvious is that he should treat the right side of the court like it has lava, he is absolutely terrible on the right side of the court.

Really though Sacramento doesn't really have another volume scorer they can just iso and get something, so he kinda has to take a ton of shots. Looking at his stat splits it seems his offenseive production is mostly irrelevant in wins vs. losses, but in wins he gets to the line noticeably more, rebounds more, and does better defensively(at least statistically, it's hard to judge actual defense without breaking down film). Getting him to consistently work on the boards and on defensive is hugely more important to the success of the team.

Last season, 43% of his turnovers were "bad passes." This year, it's 25%.

he's on pace to have the same amount of offensive fouls, "other turnovers," while increasing his ball handling turnovers but sharply decreasing his passing turnovers. (like a reduction by over 30%!).

These numbers indicate to me Cousins is simply passing less and shooting (or turning it over via ball handling) instead. From a personal standpoint, he might actually be more efficient doing this since he had an enormous "bad pass" turnover rate (well over 1 per game) previously. Of course, it also means he probably should have the ball less.

Sacramento's offense has been better with him out of the game this season. And its defense has been much better without him. His net rating is -12 per 100. Awful.

Cousins' defensive on-court is horrible still and looks even worse considering that the Kings go from league worst to okay on defense with him on the bench, but Isaiah Thomas is in the game when Cousins is out which sways his offensive on/off (though they aren't particularly good with him in at all).

Cousins' defense is a much bigger worry than his offense even if Cousins might not be actually effective on offense and may just be willing to take bad shots.

No one on Earth can convince me that even if Amare were healthy he would put up the same numbers he did in Phoenix. Does anyone honestly believe that Prigs or Felton would have been able to get him the ball on pick and rolls? He should kiss Nash's feet for getting him that big contract.

masud

Banned
No one on Earth can convince me that even if Amare were healthy he would put up the same numbers he did in Phoenix. Does anyone honestly believe that Prigs or Felton would have been able to get him the ball on pick and rolls? He should kiss Nash's feet for getting him that big contract.

He put up huge numbers his first year on the Knicks with Felton though...

Amare was an mvp candidate for 1 1/2 months before the Knicks fell back into mediocrity

Then Melo arrived midway through and the rest is history

Amare was an mvp candidate for 1 1/2 months before the Knicks fell back into mediocrity

Then Melo arrived midway through and the rest is history

That's exactly my point. If Amare was able to play completely healthy there is no way in hell Carmelo and Amare could have co existed together. He needed to be paired with pass first PG, not an offensive blackhole.

giri

That's exactly my point. If Amare was able to play completely healthy there is no way in hell Carmelo and Amare could have co existed together. He needed to be paired with pass first PG, not an offensive blackhole.

They said the same thing about LBJ and Wade.

2 chips later...

2 chips later...

Apples and oranges. First of all, those two players actually play defense. And Wade has been very accommodating even though he hasn't been 100% for years. Carmelo Anthony will never share the ball. Lebron enjoys getting assists. Amare's signing only works if his rebounding and defense were part of his package and he hasn't rebounded or played defense well in years. So you've got the pairing of an offensive black hole that his a high volume shooter and a big man that needs the ball spoon fed to him by a PG that also doesn't happen to play defense or rebound. That was never going to be a championship team. Not in this world and not in any other.

giri

Apples and oranges. First of all, those two players actually play defense. And Wade has been very accommodating even though he hasn't been 100% for years. Carmelo Anthony will never share the ball. Lebron enjoys getting assists. Amare's signing only works if his rebounding and defense were part of his package and he hasn't rebounded or played defense well in years. So you've got the pairing of an offensive black hole that his a high volume shooter and a big man that needs the ball spoon fed to him by a PG that also doesn't happen to play defense or rebound. That was never going to be a championship team. Not in this world and not in any other.

You should probably have watched Amare play in NY while he was healthy at the start before making generalizations.

He's able to get his in isolation and faceups. he always could. That said, iso is always the worst offensive set in bball. So why you would stagnate your offense entirely i don't know.

He was never a defensive monster, but he was at least trying in PHX (before that fateful Lakers series anyway).

You say apples and oranges, but it's really not, you just change the descriptions (and script history) to the players. And both wade and lbj have both had to change their games. So has bosh.

"I was baiting him, because he got me in the first half on a shot fake. He always turns over his right shoulder, and I remembered that this was the exact same play [as the first half]," Beal said. "I was going to bait him, force him to go middle, so to speak, then cut him off and cut his shoulder off [turning back to the baseline]. Eventually, I was able to get a little piece of the ball. I think I did a pretty good job of keeping my hands to myself and not fouling as much as possible."

;_;

Beallll

That Kevin Martin/Kevin Love PNR is fucking fierce though. An absolute nightmare to defend.

And Melos main issue offensively is that he doesn't try to get to the line enough. He's a tough son of a bitch, almost never sells calls.

Emwitus

2 chips later...

Lebron and wade are like the complete opposite of amare and melo. I can't even. Those two could work on a fundamental basis because they are both great passers and made their team mates better on there respective teams

Top Bottom