• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-14 NBA Oct-Nov Season |OT| They can't hide the championship banners Forever

Emwitus

Kobe signed an extension with the Lakers.

BZ7hghOCYAA_WAz.jpg

https://twitter.com/Lakers/status/405008965404073984
That was quick

Vahagn

I'm good with this. If we're not tanking for Jabari/Wiggins then be competitive till Kobe retires. LBJ to LA would be a pipe dream and Melo can still come if he wants.

We got 16 chips. Boston ain't winning any anytime soon and LBJ is 3 away from Bean still. Thems the only maths I do

Vahagn

If there is one thing the Jazz organization is known for , its definitely giving dumbfuck overpaid contracts!

You all extended Stockton even when e couldn't walk anymore without throwing out his back. If you think Kobe's contract is or should be an objective stats based valuation and not a "Thanks for 5 chips and a gazillion dollars in profits" you're silly

Branduil

So the Lakers will be paying $34 million next year to Kobe and Nash.

I think it's safe to say Carmelo isn't walking through that door.

Emwitus

He's still the highest paid player in the league.

It seems seriously absurd.

How is it absurd for the lakers? Maybe for other teams. His a part and parcel of laker brand and only durant/lebron can claim to that in the entire league.

Stockton hadn't missed a game in three years and had a 22 PER when the Jazz gave him a two years, $15 million extension. I don't know if that's comparable to giving a guy coming off an Achilles tear two years, $48 million.

Stockton isn't on the same level of kobe and i doubt he was the brand kobe is at this stage of there respective careers.

Stockton hadn't missed a game in three years and had a 22 PER when the Jazz gave him a two years, $15 million extension. I don't know if that's comparable to giving a guy coming off an Achilles tear two years, $48 million.

Derrick01

Banned
So why the hell is Rose out for the ENTIRE year with this injury? This is a few week/month or month and a half injury.

I really hope the Bulls get rid of him when they get a chance. I don't think he'll ever be the same physically and mentally he's soft as hell. Get him out.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
wtf dude, can you give it a rest at least during the worst day for a Bulls fan.
Alright, it's a tough day, I get it. It's just that Boozer has been getting shitted on by Bulls fans since 2010, for being "overpaid", while averaging 16 and 9 on better than 50% shooting in only 30 minutes. It's just a massive twist on everything.

dream

So why the hell is Rose out for the ENTIRE year with this injury? This is a few week/month or month and a half injury.

I really hope the Bulls get rid of him when they get a chance. I don't think he'll ever be the same physically and mentally he's soft as hell. Get him out.

I think I agree with you. He's got to be completely mentally broken at this point, and paying him any amount of money on the hopes that he'll be even remotely physically capable of playing at the 11-12 level is just setting money on fire.

Amnestying the guy and starting the rebuild process seems like the only smart play here.

Vahagn

Nice try, he was averaging 10 and 7. Considering that extension was his second richest contract ever? And before that he made 11 mil per as his richest contract. Salaries were different back then.

And again, one guy brought 5 chips. I'm not saying Kobe deserves 25 mil for his upcoming 2 years based on play, I'm saying it's a loyalty play, just like Stockton was.

Hopefully Kobe can be more Jerry West than MJ in regards to talent evaluation in a future GM/scouting job.

Maybe a couple of stents with TNT for awkward moments with Shaq.

I think I agree with you. He's got to be completely mentally broken at this point, and paying him any amount of money on the hopes that he'll be even remotely physically capable of playing at the 11-12 level is just setting money on fire.

Amnestying the guy and starting the rebuild process seems like the only smart play here.

From memory Rose's contract can't be amnestied, since it was signed after the new CBA. Not totally sure if I have that right.

Mik317

It be a pretty shitty move to cut a hometown guy and an injured one at that.

That would push fans and other players away.

Alright, it's a tough day, I get it. It's just that Boozer has been getting shitted on by Bulls fans since 2010, for being "overpaid", while averaging 16 and 9 on better than 50% shooting in only 30 minutes. It's just a massive twist on everything.

Fuck Carlos Boozer and his padded meaningless stats against shit teams like the Raptors. Fuck him. Fuck his stupid ass fouls. Fuck his screaming "and one" "get it Jo" and everything else. Fuck his painted on hair. Fuck his lack of defense. Fuck Carlos Boozer. Fuck him.

Nice try, he was averaging 10 and 7. Considering that extension was his second richest contract ever? And before that he made 11 mil per as his richest contract. Salaries were different back then.

And again, one guy brought 5 chips. I'm not saying Kobe deserves 25 mil for his upcoming 2 years based on play, I'm saying it's a loyalty play, just like Stockton was.

That would be fine if the salary cap didn't exist. The Lakers could spend however much they'd want on him and it wouldn't affect anything apart from their pockets.

But given that the size of this extension is going to severely impede the Lakers ability to bring in any significant free agent talent over the next two years it's not exactly ideal.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Fuck Carlos Boozer and his padded meaningless stats against shit teams like the Raptors. Fuck him. Fuck his stupid ass fouls. Fuck his screaming "and one" "get it Jo" and everything else. Fuck his painted on hair. Fuck his lack of defense. Fuck Carlos Boozer. Fuck him.
carlos-boozer-chicago-bulls-707jpgjpg-216638a237ebcc5f_large_crop_340x234.jpg

Rose spent too much time in the weight room I think. I think he overworked his legs and got too explosive if such a thing is possible. Adding that much muscle and that many inches to his vertical--that's evidence that he lived in the weight room for what, nearly a year and a half to two years?

I'm optimistic that he'll be back in good form.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America

Rose is getting the Meniscus reattached not cut out. If its cut out he can come back faster but his long term career would be jeopardy. Also the tear was in the part of the knee that doesn't get a lot blood flow so it will take longer. Even if they knew he could back sooner, after last season PR disaster they are going to play it safe. This injury seems to worse than Westbrooks and it took him 6 months and he had his other knee working just fine. Last thing you need is Rose putting extra pressure on his post ACL surgery knee. It's a fucked up situation :/

Vahagn

Kobe did take a 8 mil per paycut off the max. He's had nothing but max deals his last 4 contracts/extensions.

Again LBJ is not coming through that door. We should have amnestied Kobe, tanked hard, then brought him back next year. But since we didn't and aren't tanking, bring him in board and see what our ceiling is.

Derrick01

Banned
It be a pretty shitty move to cut a hometown guy and an injured one at that.

That would push fans and other players away.

We're not exactly reeling in the free agency talent as it is. We had the best team to win now when that huge free agency year happened, had enough money to get 2 players and we got....carlos boozer.

Rose isn't worth all this trouble. Even when he's healthy he's not exactly mindblowing with his sub 40% shooting and poor decision making as a PG. He's flashy and exciting to watch but when it's time to stop that and play basketball he's limited in effectiveness. Now that every injury takes him out for an entire season it's time to say enough is enough. I'm a bulls fan too but I've had enough of him. It's time to blow this entire team up except for Noah and restart.

Rose spent too much time in the weight room I think. I think he overworked his legs and got too explosive if such a thing is possible. Adding that much muscle and that many inches to his vertical--that's evidence that he lived in the weight room for what, nearly a year and a half to two years?

When Tim Hardaway came back from his injury, he was more of a shooter. You didn't see as much of his crossover. Derrick Rose worked on his three point game, but his game was just the same, based on speed and explosiveness. Maybe, after this second injury he will change his game?

Vahagn

Wasn't he already at 44 inches Pre draft? Just how high was his vertical this season?

Top Bottom