• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-14 NBA Oct-Nov Season |OT| They can't hide the championship banners Forever

SoulPlaya

more money than God
We're not exactly reeling in the free agency talent as it is. We had the best team to win now when that huge free agency year happened, had enough money to get 2 players and we got....carlos boozer.

Rose isn't worth all this trouble. Even when he's healthy he's not exactly mindblowing with his sub 40% shooting and poor decision making as a PG. He's flashy and exciting to watch but when it's time to stop that and play basketball he's limited in effectiveness. Now that every injury takes him out for an entire season it's time to say enough is enough. I'm a bulls fan too but I've had enough of him. It's time to blow this entire team up except for Noah and restart.
Except for Noah? What?!?! What is this obsession with Noah? Bulls could have had Melo for him and said no, they could have engaged in serious discussions for LMA for him, and said no. Is "hustle and intensity" really worth this much?

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Except for Noah? What?!?! What is this obsession with Noah? Bulls could have had Melo for him and said no, they could have engaged in serious discussions for LMA for him, and said no. Is "hustle and intensity" really worth this much?

A boozer fan would think "hustle and intensity" is no big deal :p

Vahagn

haha 48 million for 2 yrs

lbj is getting 19 mil for this yr, on his prime and the best

That's what Kobe was getting in his prime too. Your max goes up after every year you play. You play 18 years and you're still a franchise player your max is above 30 million.

Kobe actually took 15 million LESS than the max

When Tim Hardaway came back from his injury, he was more of a shooter. You didn't see as much of his crossover. Derrick Rose worked on his three point game, but his game was just the same, based on speed and explosiveness. Maybe, after this second injury he will change his game?

I don't want him to change his game. I just want him to take it a little easier on that weight training this time around.

Wasn't he already at 44 inches Pre draft? Just how high was his vertical this season?

his max vert was 40 lol

its hard to say how much he gained during the off-season over his career but its safe to say that he put in an unbelievable amount of leg work during his rehab.

Derrick01

Banned

I wouldn't take carmelo for free honestly. Dude is straight up poison for any team hoping to win a title.

Mik317

We're not exactly reeling in the free agency talent as it is. We had the best team to win now when that huge free agency year happened, had enough money to get 2 players and we got....carlos boozer.

Rose isn't worth all this trouble. Even when he's healthy he's not exactly mindblowing with his sub 40% shooting and poor decision making as a PG. He's flashy and exciting to watch but when it's time to stop that and play basketball he's limited in effectiveness. Now that every injury takes him out for an entire season it's time to say enough is enough. I'm a bulls fan too but I've had enough of him. It's time to blow this entire team up except for Noah and restart.

But they can "blow it up" this year, get someone of worth via the draft, and keep Rose and be right back in it and if he doesn't come back, so? There really isn't a downside to it IMO. If Rose comes back strong this time, with say Jabari or something, along with the capspace one gets via cutting Booz and trading Deng and Noah, and you have a team right back in the race after one year. If he doesn't, then you eat that and still have the other above pieces.

Besides, you cant just cut Rose at this point and if he is damaged goods, you won't get shit for him anyway..so no choice here really.

My point was that by cutting him (if it was possible), you'd get the reputation as an organization that doesn't care about it's players (which on top of the cheap rep you already have is pretty bad). I also believe in some loyalty.

But what's the alternative? Paying him 95 million for maybe 2 low quality seasons of play?

Basically, you aren't getting shit for him if he is dead and they can't cut him..so yeah basically

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Noah with his bad foot last year against the Nets was more useful than Boozer has been his entire career in the playoffs. Boozer is such empty calories.
Now, I know you're just trolling. Boozer carried them in that series. Noah was dead in the first game or two that he came back in that series.

Everyone Google "Tim Duncan new girlfriend"

Got damn
Tim-Duncan-Girlfriend.jpg

I was going to come in here and complain about Kobe's contract, but it's clear that the news of the day is Timmy winning on and off the court.

Based Timmy.

diehard

Fleer
Nice try, he was averaging 10 and 7. Considering that extension was his second richest contract ever? And before that he made 11 mil per as his richest contract. Salaries were different back then.

And again, one guy brought 5 chips. I'm not saying Kobe deserves 25 mil for his upcoming 2 years based on play, I'm saying it's a loyalty play, just like Stockton was.

Oh no, they made John Stockton the 42nd highest paid player in the league, what were they thinking!?!

Emwitus

Fucking stupid. He's my favorite on the court guy, but his ass ain't worth that. Hell not even half that.

After putting some more thought into that and looking into what tim duncan did, ive gotta agree with this. But i don't feel sorry for the lakers. Players have every right to earn as much as they want since the team makes just as much of him. Timmy was also in a smaller market area and the lakers just signed a billion dollar tv contract. Yup, i would have done the same.

Oh no, they made John Stockton the 42nd highest paid player in the league, what were they thinking!?!

The jazz's cost saving crap has got them nowhere. You can't even put them in the same sentence as the lakers with a straight face.

Kobe did take a 8 mil per paycut off the max. He's had nothing but max deals his last 4 contracts/extensions.

Again LBJ is not coming through that door. We should have amnestied Kobe, tanked hard, then brought him back next year. But since we didn't and aren't tanking, bring him in board and see what our ceiling is.

Our ceiling is fighting for the 8th seed. This is a terrible deal. We will wallow in mediocrity for the next 2 years. God help me if they use that free cap space for Melo. Jesus.

Vahagn

Our ceiling is fighting for the 8th seed. This is a terrible deal. We will wallow in mediocrity for the next 2 years. God help me if they use that free cap space for Melo. Jesus.

Give me a realistic scenario where we don't wallow in mediocrity for 2 years now that it's clear tanking is off the table.

People comparing this to KG and TD taking paycuts are silly

Branduil

Any time you can kill your cap space by extending your aging star player who just tore his achilles for $24 million a year you've gotta do it.

Vahagn

Any time you can kill your cap space by extending your aging star player who just tore his achilles for $24 million a year you've gotta do it.

We gave him about 7-10 mil a year more than we should have. But people acting like this is the reason for our downfall and just telling Kobe to go kick rocks would have been a better option are silly

Oh stop it. We've all seen Derrick Rose take huge fat dumps on Chris Paul/Tony Parker before he got hurt. There's LeBron-tier, Durant-tier, and then everybody else. When healthy, Rose gets his own tier.

Give me a realistic scenario where we don't wallow in mediocrity for 2 years now that it's clear tanking is off the table.

People comparing this to KG and TD taking paycuts are silly

There is none unless the team shows it's true colors (We have fucking D'Antoni as our coach!) and finally starts to tank enough to get a top 3 pick, or a high pick (somewhere in the top 10-12) that we can trade for a guy like Love. Barring that, this is the team going forward.

This was a bad deal. Sometimes you just have to pull the plug on guys. Kobe has been the greatest Laker of all time, but nobody is bigger than the team. This is like the Yankees giving Derek Jeter a $25 million a year contract. It's silly. They needed to play hardball with him on a more reasonable contract and if he didn't want to, let him walk.

the Kobe extension elephant in the room was eventually going to be something the front office had to deal with. Now that they have in the way they have, it's clear they have no clear plan in place. I fucking hate the Celtics, but at least they weren't afraid to bottom out. They could have easily kept KG and Pierce and battled for the 8th seed while Rondo recovers. But Ainge knows that is a complete waste of time. We will be mediocre for the next 2 years (the worst part being that next year, if Kobe finally ages and the team DOES tank, we don't have our 1st rounder) and basically waste that time. We will have gained nothing and be back to square one...where we could have been this year when there is a good FA class and potentially one of the best draft classes in history. Why the fuck not do it now instead of putting it off 2 years?

Vahagn

There is none unless the team shows it's true colors (We have fucking D'Antoni as our coach!) and finally starts to tank enough to get a top 3 pick, or a high pick (somewhere in the top 10-12) that we can trade for a guy like Love. Barring that, this is the team going forward.

This was a bad deal. Sometimes you just have to pull the plug on guys. Kobe has been the greatest Laker of all time, but nobody is bigger than the team. This is like the Yankees giving Derek Jeter a $25 million a year contract. It's silly. They needed to play hardball with him on a more reasonable contract and if he didn't want to, let him walk.

Exactly. So you trend in mediocrity with Kobe or without him. I was the biggest supporter of the "amnesty Kobe. Tank hard. Get a lottery pick, FA's and resign him next summer"

But when they didn't do that plan and decided to stay competitive and try to make the playoffs I'd rather do it with Kobe than without.

Jabari or Wiggins was always going to be the best selling point we could make to FA's

Exactly. So you trend in mediocrity with Kobe or without him. I was the biggest supporter of the "amnesty Kobe. Tank hard. Get a lottery pick, FA's and resign him next summer"

But when they didn't do that plan and decided to stay competitive and try to make the playoffs I'd rather do it with Kobe than without.

Jabari or Wiggins was always going to be the best selling point we could make to FA's

This is why I said they have no plan. It's little Jimmy panicking to live up to daddy's name. If they had a plan, they would have traded Pau for a future 1st during the offseason. They would have even shopped Nash for whatever they could get for him (a 2nd? Sure). Let Kobe come back and shoot 40 times a game while the team loses 50 games. Again, all these moves do is put off the inevitable. I'd rather tank and bottom out this offseason, when you have a historically great draft class and a FA class that includes LeBron (even if it's pipe) than 2 years from now. That's fucking stupid.

LuchaShaq

Banned
The fact that Kobe is crippling the lakers with a max extension.

While dirk/Duncan took less to stay with their teams.

Lebron/bosh/wade took less.

It tells you everything you need to know about the guy, if he really cared about another ring he wouldn't be kneecapping his team.

Poor lakers fans with jimmy running the team dude is going to be Dolan 2.0

Hope you're ready to max out grey haired lebron and gimpy knees rose in 2025

Top Bottom