• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-14 NBA Oct-Nov Season |OT| They can't hide the championship banners Forever

Smokey

Damn. Scoot facing that cold reality that the tank master plan is not going to work. As someone mentioned..the east has that on lock. Lakers age welcome to dat middling life. It sucks. Have fun.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
WAIT A FUCKING MINUTE!

The Knicks went WINLESS (0 FUCKING WINS!) at HOME during the ENTIRE MONTH of November?

As if the Knicks' start hasn't been rough enough: They just went winless at home in November during what was seen as a friendly stretch of their schedule. Maybe the only source of comfort as Melo and Co. head West (gulp) is the fact that their buddies in Brooklyn are spiraling at a similar pace.

HAHAAHHA

giri

Damn. Scoot facing that cold reality that the tank master plan is not going to work. As someone mentioned..the east has that on lock. Lakers age welcome to dat middling life. It sucks. Have fun.

How's being the worst conference for the last decade worked out for the East?

reilo

sw2UShi.png

The East, ladies and gents.

Cloudy

Banned
The money is not worth it, because even playing out of his head for his age and for the miles on his legs, we crept to an 8 seed. And that was with Dwight. Now we have no Dwight, and an older Kobe coming off a devastating injury.

We'd have been a higher seed if Dwight didn't lose like 10 games at the line. If Kobe is even 90% of last year, I don't fear anyone in the West

LuchaShaq

Banned
You're an idiot for so many reasons. The most obvious of which is that this is about 20% less than the max

The only reason his max is that high is because he got grandfathered in on the last max. This contract is millions higher than anyone else's max. The lakers are insane to pay even half this much.

Vahagn

The only reason his max is that high is because he got grandfathered in on the last max. This contract is millions higher than anyone else's max. The lakers are insane to pay even half this much.

There's a strict definition of what a max contract is for each individual player based on the # of years he's played.

"More than I think he's worth but less than the max" is not the definition of max. Hence Kobe didn't take a Max deal. He's getting paid more than Joe Johnson because...exactly. Lebron's 19 million isn't the max that all players should earn like it's some college midterm curve, that's not how things work.

so i've learned 3 things this morning.
1. Lakers will be irrelevant for the next forseeable future.
2. Timmy doing work.
3. Heavy doesn't know how to pop open the hood of his own car.

LuchaShaq

Banned
There's a strict definition of what a max contract is for each individual player based on the # of years he's played.

"More than I think he's worth but less than the max" is not the definition of max. Hence Kobe didn't take a Max deal. He's getting paid more than Joe Johnson because...exactly. Lebron's 19 million isn't the max that all players should earn like it's some college midterm curve, that's not how things work.

Players who had a big deal before two cbas ago such as Kobe/kg have a higher max than the rest of the league due to this. You on some Isaiah Thomas math.

Enjoy being Knicks west for the next three years+

Who cares about the finer details of a max contract? The fact is, lebron's 19 million is used as a reference because he's the best in the league AND took less money in order to help the franchise out in acquiring additional talent.

Should I be thanking Kobe for graciously freeing up 5 million instead 10 so he can still say he makes more than the best guy in the league?

Vahagn

Who cares about the finer details of a max contract? The fact is, lebron's 19 million is used as a reference because he's the best in the league AND took less money in order to help the franchise out in acquiring additional talent.

Should I be thanking Kobe for graciously freeing up 5 million instead 10 so he can still say he makes more than the best guy in the league?

Lebron took 10% less money (offset by tax savings) so that he can build a guaranteed super team, probably the best super team ever assembled.

You tell Kobe he can get Lebron and Kevin Love guaranteed if he takes 18 million and he'll do it. You tell him you maybe possibly have a chance at Melo...would you?

reilo

That thread is gonna turn into a feminism debate, there will be lots of bannings.

I was hoping Kobe would take a 2 year $30 million extension, not as much as this one at all. This will make it harder to make deals or bring in new players worth it.

For the Lakers, of course, this makes economic sense. Kobe's brand to the team is worth so much more money than what he just got paid and people keep ignoring that this is still a business above all else. Winning helps the business, but it isn't the end-all be-all. This was more about making money than winning games.

I'm glad Kobe will retire a Laker but I definitely wish he took a bigger paycut than the one he just took. I'm also surprised they did this without at least seeing him play for a month off a repaired Achilles.

For those asking about why it's only 2 years, that's a CBA over-36 rule. He can't sign 3 years.

I was hoping Kobe would take a 2 year $30 million extension, not as much as this one at all. This will make it harder to make deals or bring in new players worth it.

For the Lakers, of course, this makes economic sense. Kobe's brand to the team is worth so much more money than what he just got paid and people keep ignoring that this is still a business above all else. Winning helps the business, but it isn't the end-all be-all. This was more about making money than winning games.

I'm glad Kobe will retire a Laker but I definitely wish he took a bigger paycut than the one he just took. I'm also surprised they did this without at least seeing him play for a month off a repaired Achilles.

For those asking about why it's only 2 years, that's a CBA over-36 rule. He can't sign 3 years.

This is a summation of how I feel. We 're gonna mail it in for two + more years because of this and it's all to keep Kobe from playing at staples with a visitors jersey on.

14 western conference teams would not only make the playoffs in the east, they'd be a top-6 seed.

It's beyond time to change how playoff seeding works.

More like it's time to change how draft positioning works. Should be based on location within the conference and not how totally shitty you are in the league. For Example, 15th in the west and 15th in the east get the 1 and 2 spot based on who has the lowest record, 14th in the west and 14th in the east get 3 and 4 and so on. Teams shouldn't be punished because they are trying to compete in a ridiculously stacked conference.

linsivvi

Its called common sense.

Common sense? There's no evidence nor any precedence that a sports TV deal would include such a requirement. You have nothing to support your conspiracy theory.

So we have established within a page that not only do you think out of your ass, your common sense came from there as well.

You're too reasonable to be a Fakers fan.

I don't hate myself enough to ever root for Sterling's team.

Boston fans have a similar devotion to Paul Pierce, though it is perhaps less fierce than the grip the NBA's Lord Voldemort has on his Death Eaters. But the Celtics did not flinch when the opportunity arose to deal Pierce and Garnett in exchange for some bad contracts and three plum first-round picks. They let Doc Rivers, the only man to coach them to a title since the mid-1980s, broker his way to the Clippers in exchange for another pick.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-t...e-hollywood-story-of-kobes-crippling-contract

Konex = Bellatrix Lestrange

I feel shame for that analogy

Top Bottom