• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-14 NBA Oct-Nov Season |OT| They can't hide the championship banners Forever

Omega

Banned
This is why I said they have no plan. It's little Jimmy panicking to live up to daddy's name. If they had a plan, they would have traded Pau for a future 1st during the offseason. They would have even shopped Nash for whatever they could get for him (a 2nd? Sure). Let Kobe come back and shoot 40 times a game while the team loses 50 games. Again, all these moves do is put off the inevitable. I'd rather tank and bottom out this offseason, when you have a historically great draft class and a FA class that includes LeBron (even if it's pipe) than 2 years from now. That's fucking stupid.

Knicks don't have a first round pick.

Who else would be dumb enough to do that trade except for us?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Its called common sense.

But CommonSense is banned!

0WNBhhX.png

Emwitus

But CommonSense is banned!

0WNBhhX.png

Wha...when?

Common sense? There's no evidence nor any precedence that a sports TV deal would include such a requirement. You have nothing to support your conspiracy theory.

So we have established within a page that not only do you think out of your ass, your common sense came from there as well.

Linsivi, lakers signed a 2 billion dollar TV right before trading for dwight howard/nash and going way over the cap. If i'm not wrong its for the span of about 10 years? Anywho, how is tv successful? Ratings. Ofcourse, my assumption is not set in stone, but it's not much of a stretch to think time warner cable would at least have an agreement to keep the lakers successful during the stretch of this deal to make the agreement profitable, is it not? This isn't your regular TV sports deals, after all, how many basketball teams have as much wide apeal as the lakers?

Anyway, this whole argument came about when you said why would the lakers agree to pay kobe this much. And this is my answer. I said one of them is have a guy like kobe on team who would bring in viewers. Its simple logic.

Smokey

Yeah, a decade of top picks has helped make the east a powerhouse of great teams............ or not. There's now 2 legit teams In the east. Awesome.

Think you were misunderstanding what I was saying.

Lakers age whole theme this offseason was TANK. It's clear that isn't going as planned. For one the east is terrible and two the players aren't interested in tanking. Will be worse when kobe gets back. Now, what is done with a high pick is up to management. East teams have terrible management for the most part. There's no guarantee that the lakers wouldn't screw up a lottery pick with that clown running the show either.

Right now lakers will probably end up in that mid range of the draft which is a terrible place to be. Especially for the lakers but fuck them I've spent too much time talking about them. They deserve everything including kobe holding them back.

Vahagn

Overall, I think zach lowe is correct.

However, people seem to ignore the Lakers could get lucky in the draft. It's not necessarily likely, but possible.

The reason the article is smh is that the title inplies there is some background story of what happened. In reality it's just his common sense analysis concluding with "let's be clear, this isn't an aim to win championships."

The most annoying thing to me about this whole coverage is this idea that somehow this limits the Lakers from winning a championship in two years. That was never going to happen anyway. This is mediocrity with Kobe for 2 years over mediocrity without him. Those are literally the only realistic options for LA.

This Minnesota radio guy, Dan Barreiro, is saying that Derrick Williams is going to be traded for defensive wing help to either the Kings, Jazz, Nets, or Knicks.

I would be fine with giving up Marvin for Derrick Williams, but man, that is such a catastrophic drop in value for Derrick Williams.

giri

Think you were misunderstanding what I was saying.

Lakers age whole theme this offseason was TANK. It's clear that isn't going as planned. For one the east is terrible and two the players aren't interested in tanking. Will be worse when kobe gets back. Now, what is done with a high pick is up to management. East teams have terrible management for the most part. There's no guarantee that the lakers wouldn't screw up a lottery pick with that clown running the show either.

Right now lakers will probably end up in that mid range of the draft which is a terrible place to be. Especially for the lakers but fuck them I've spent too much time talking about them. They deserve everything including kobe holding them back.

Lets hope they're terrible then!

2015 first round draft pick from L.A. Lakers
L.A. Lakers' 1st round pick to Phoenix protected for selections 1-5 in 2015, 1-3 in 2016 or 1-3 in 2017 or unprotected in 2018 [L.A. Lakers-Phoenix, 7/11/2012]

But more inline, my point was, the east is run terribly for the most part.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
This Minnesota radio guy, Dan Barreiro, is saying that Derrick Williams is going to be traded for defensive wing help to either the Kings, Jazz, Nets, or Knicks.

I don't really see a deal there except maybe Mbah a Moute for him. The Knicks and Nets definitely don't have anything.

giri

I don't really see a deal there except maybe Mbah a Moute for him. The Knicks and Nets definitely don't have anything.

You could do a lot worse than turn him into Shumps. Shump shoots the 3 ok. And is a solid defender. Just questions about his health. Which for the wolves is a real risk.

I mean. It's not like williams is getting any playing time at the moment. But still, you'd think he would have been worth more.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
You could do a lot worse than turn him into Shumps. Shump shoots the 3 ok. And is a solid defender. Just questions about his health. Which for the wolves is a real risk.

I mean. It's not like williams is getting any playing time at the moment. But still, you'd think he would have been worth more.

There's really no way to get the salaries to work there. If we could get a rotation guy like Mbah a Moute, that would be ace. It would be easier if Flip hadn't picked up his option for next season.

Dan Barreiro is full of shit, always. Never listen to him.

Well, before the draft he said the Wolves would never take Shabazz...

But trade rumors are fun and Doogie is saying that Derrick is out, too, and him I do believe.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
But trade rumors are fun and Doogie is saying that Derrick is out, too, and him I do believe.
Yeah, I saw Doogie's tweet earlier and I also believe him. I assume Barreiro is riffing off that, though I suppose he's friendsies with Flip.

Basically though I just hate Barreiro.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Good news about Rose going for the long term fix. I hope it holds, and like others have said he really should just pick up where he left off. You absolutely can and usually do go back to 100% once it's repaired. Sucks he lost 2 years, but hopefully it stays at that.

Talon

We'd have been a higher seed if Dwight didn't lose like 10 games at the line. If Kobe is even 90% of last year, I don't fear anyone in the West
Never surrender, Cloudy.
I'm saying if you can weasel Kobe into accepting 15 million AND HAVE KOBE? great. If you tell him to leave because you won't pay 20 million in a landscape where you have NO REASONABLE option to significantly increase the value for that 20 million, then no. you don't do it.

Kobe's not bigger than the team getting ridiculous value and improving like crazy. But he's bigger than the team being slightly less mediocre. Which is what would have happened had Kobe walked away. Lakers with Kobe and 42 wins is better than Lakers without Kobe and 45. And that's the best case scenario I can see for LA next year if he left.

That's why I keep asking you for alternative and likely/reasonable plans now that tanking isn't an option where Kobe leaves and we get much better. When I look at the NBA landscape, I don't see one. Only disgruntled "superstar" coming off the books is Melo. And I'm not down with 5 years of Melo.
Look at the 8-10 teams that have money this coming summer. Do you see any of them paying even $20 mill/year for a then 36-year-old Kobe coming off an Achilles injury?

diehard

Fleer
There's really no way to get the salaries to work there. If we could get a rotation guy like Mbah a Moute, that would be ace. It would be easier if Flip hadn't picked up his option for next season.

I know he gets a lot of hate but Marvin Williams is really not a bad player.

CreepingFear bro, you making me sad right here :( No matter what happens with Thibs, we'll get the best out of this bunch and there's no way to tank so... Jabari pls! :O

We'll see what the front office does I guess. I guess it's inevitable now to trade Deng, do something with Boozer and hope the Bobcats don't suck too bad to get a high enough pick in this draft.

Plus, I want Snell to play a whole bunch!

So can I count you on the tank bandwagon then? Go Jazz tonight!

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Marvin Williams was terrible last year and hurt spacing due to his inability to do anything with the ball last year if he couldn't just catch and dunk, but he's been pretty good this year.

Overall, he's been around a -1.0 in xRAPM which isn't good, but he's at a level where he's playable which might not be able to be said for Derrick Williams on a decent team.

at least we'll get to enjoy Kobe getting the Kareem/Mariano treatment in year 20. That's all we got now.

Taking away all of the crazyness because of the stupid money they gave him, that alone is going to be pretty damn remarkable. A SG playing 20 years in the league, all with the same team.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
at least we'll get to enjoy Kobe getting the Kareem/Mariano treatment in year 20. That's all we got now.

Taking away all of the crazyness because of the stupid money they gave him, that alone is going to be pretty damn remarkable. A SG playing 20 years in the league, all with the same team.

But it's so stupid

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Bogut too?? Damn, not a good week for us. Hopefully Anthony Davis doesn't abuse Lee and Speights too bad next game.

Bogut threw a damn elbow for no goddamn reason at Freeland's face. He should've been outright ejected that game and suspended.

exarkun

Im surprised that no one has argued that bringing Kobe back is part of the Master Tank Plan. Because we all know what is going to happen to the offensive chemistry when he comes back: its gone. And the surprisingly decent defense is going down the tubes because of the bad steals Kobe will go for, and the "I can play D off the guy Im guarding because I can recover in time" thing he was so fond of doing last season. Even though he never recovered in time.

Silver lining, Lakers-age I know you can see it!

Top Bottom