• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-14 NBA Oct-Nov Season |OT| They can't hide the championship banners Forever

giri

Regarding the Pacers, they're a fun team to watch defensively. It's not hard to see why they're such a great defensive team when you look at their point guards. George Hill is a great defender but Stephenson really stands out for me. Having him be the backup point just gives the Pacers so much flexibility since he can guard anyone from positions 1-3.

Stephenson isn't backup point. PG or CJ Watson are.

I think he will too since it seems like he's actually learned how to dribble unlike most of the other Rudy Gay type players that never do, but he's still shooting 53% from 8-23 feet which is a number that basically no one other than Dirk can ever shoot at for a full season if they're a shotcreator.
How many attempts at the rim and how well does PG finish?
his mid range % seems unsustainable for now but we'll see.

Stephenson isn't backup point. PG or CJ Watson are.

Stepehenson has played the primary playmaker position for Indy a lot this year. He even leads the team in assists.

And, oh, hey, Lance Stephenson is suddenly playing like a point guard with killer 3-point range. Stephenson is averaging twice as many assists per game compared with last season, even though he's only logging about six more minutes on average. Numbers from the SportVU data-tracking cameras provided exclusively to Grantland bear this out. Stephenson is dribbling the ball about 125 times per game this season, up from a paltry 65.5 bounces last season, according to the data. His per-game time of possession has jumped from about 90 seconds to nearly three minutes, and he's touching the ball about twice as often. He has assisted on nearly 29 percent of Indiana's baskets while on the floor, roughly equivalent to last season's marks for a bunch of high-quality starting point guards with strong secondary distributors around them and/or score-first duties — Stephen Curry, Ty Lawson, Damian Lillard, Kyrie Irving, and others. Stephenson is also using up more possessions for his own shots, and yet his turnover rate hasn't budged at all.

Watch the Pacers' starting lineup, perhaps the best five-man unit in the league over the last two seasons, and you'll often catch Stephenson handling the ball up top, while the nominal point guard, George Hill, spots up on the wing. Ditto for the bench-heavy second units Stephenson is captaining; he has a much higher assist rate than C.J. Watson, the team's new backup point guard, and, like Hill, a solid shooter who is generally better off sharing point guard duties.

This is the on-court fulfillment of a goal Vogel gave Stephenson during the offseason. "During the summer, he told me to get ready to have the ball in my hands more," Stephenson says.

Jeff-DSA

So Westbrook averages 26% shooting on drives, but the Thunder still average 1 point per drive he takes. That's a lot of FThundering.

Wow, Otto Porter actually practiced this week.

How many attempts at the rim and how well does PG finish?
his mid range % seems unsustainable for now but we'll see.

Checking NBA.com since BR doesn't have shot locations yet, he's actually not getting many close shots and not converting there very well. Only 23% of his shots have been at close range and he's shooting 52.6% on shots there. Maybe he's really improved his shooting, but there is probably a decent bit of luck to his start even if his shot is probably better and though he's getting to the line a lot more.

giri

Stepehenson has played the primary playmaker position for Indy a lot this year. He even leads the team in assists.

He's also almost doubled his turn overs.

I like lance. I think he's good. I think he or granger need to be playing super high level ball for the pacers to come out of the east. And i think at this point, thats more likely of Lance.

But he's still so damn raw an unfinished.

He's also almost doubled his turn overs.

I like lance. I think he's good. I think he or granger need to be playing super high level ball for the pacers to come out of the east. And i think at this point, thats more likely of Lance.

But he's still so damn raw an unfinished.

No, he hasn't, once you account for increased minutes.

His TOV% went from 14.4 to 16.5%.

Regardless, the article explains that he's used as their primary playmaker, especially with PG on the bench. So the claim he's the backup point guard is accurate.

giri

No, he hasn't, once you account for increased minutes.

His TOV% went from 14.4 to 16.5%.

Regardless, the article explains that he's used as their primary playmaker, especially with PG on the bench. So the claim he's the backup point guard is accurate.

You gave me a raw increase in assists, i gave you a raw increase in TO's.

Take your pick.

Outside of the fact that they are nothing alike,
Exactly!

I lol'd.

They really aren't that similar.

PG's ceiling is also insane. He's only 23 and will be 24 during the play offs next year.

Vahagn

Take your pick.

The argument wasn't that Stephenson is a good backup point, just that he effectively plays the backup point.

I don't think talking about an increase in TO's refutes that argument.

giri

The argument wasn't that Stephenson is a good backup point, just that he effectively plays the backup point.

I don't think talking about an increase in TO's refutes that argument.

I acceded that point already, and was commenting on the "leading the team in assists" part.

I'll clarify further. I like lance. I want to know more about his game. But his increase in Assists doesn't seem to stem from some new found play making ability, those numbers seem to indicate its just come from handling the ball more. He's not now some super efficient ball handler.

Guy is 23, won't be 24 till next season. He's got time, but he's still so damn raw and unfinished. He really needs to learn to play under control.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I lol'd.

They really aren't that similar.

PG's ceiling is also insane. He's only 23 and will be 24 during the play offs next year.

Both are long and play good D

That's all I got

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
1461242_10103899339374510_1127084216_n.jpg
hahaha

Vahagn

The player tracker on NBA.com is friggin incredible. Wow

Lebron James Only has 40 catch-and-shoot points. But his eFG% is a ridiculous 83.3%

By contrast KD has 41 catch-and-shoot points. But his eFG% is a dismal 38.7%

I guess the idea that KD is used best to come off screens and shoot 3's is way off base.

Lebron Pull Up Shot eFG% is only 40.8% and KD's is 52.8%

Take your pick.

No, I said he leads the team in assists. I never said he doubled it. I posted an analysis that said he doubled it and gave the caveat in 6 more minutes (hence, NOT raw).

Vahagn

This makes no sense...Bosh, Ryan Anderson, Courtney Lee and Marcus Morris and like 60 other guys are better pull up jump shooters than Lebron James?

Top 6 guys in the league in Pull Up Shot point totals so far are CP3, Lillard, Curry, Irving, Jennings, and PG. Of those, PG has the highest eFG% and a DISMAL 3pt fg% of 24%. Significantly lower than anyone else, which means his pull up jumper from mid range must be amazingly efficient. Considering how often he takes it, he might be the best pull up jump shooter from mid range and long 2 in the entire league at this point.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
This makes no sense...Bosh, Ryan Anderson, Courtney Lee and Marcus Morris and like 60 other guys are better pull up jump shooters than Lebron James?

I wonder if Rockets fans still think Asik is enough for Anderson. Really can't see the Pelicans trading him.

Vahagn

Kobe did an interview before the game. Claimed there wasn't any real negotiations. Lakers came up with the contract numbers and structure and he accepted it.

"We had no discussion about alternatives whatsoever. The only number that I saw was the one that I agreed to"

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Kobe did an interview before the game. Claimed there wasn't any real negotiations. Lakers came up with the contract numbers and structure and he accepted it.

"We had no discussion about alternatives whatsoever. The only number that I saw was the one that I agreed to"

I'm not mad at the lakers doing right by Kobe. Good job

giri

Top 6 guys in the league in Pull Up Shot point totals so far are CP3, Lillard, Curry, Irving, Jennings, and PG. Of those, PG has the highest eFG% and a DISMAL 3pt fg% of 24%. Significantly lower than anyone else, which means his pull up jumper from mid range must be amazingly efficient. Considering how often he takes it, he might be the best pull up jump shooter from mid range and long 2 in the entire league at this point.

PG's 3pt % is .395

Vahagn

Kobe: I don't know what I would even have to do to pass Kareem's record

ESPN Reporter: 6,707 points

Kobe: 6707 points? But you're at ESPN so you're probably wrong.

Damn, he's pissed off at that ESPN ranking

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Kobe: I don't know what I would even have to do to pass Kareem's record

ESPN Reporter: 6,707 points

Kobe: 6707 points? But you're at ESPN so you're probably wrong.

Damn, he's pissed off at that ESPN ranking

Kobe is basically the Ye of basketball

Lakers lock to get Carmelo.

Book it.
Congrats,I guess?

Bosh was the best 16-23 feet shooter in the league last year.He's amazing and he's officially added a 40%+ three point shot.

Top Bottom