• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-14 NBA Oct-Nov Season |OT| They can't hide the championship banners Forever

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
No player going in the top 5 let alone number 1 over all would ever stay in school for just a second year. The players that consider staying in school are those that will graduate if they stay. It makes zero sense to do a sophomore season if you aren't going to stay the full 4 years and you can be making millions by leaving.

Marcus Smart literally just did that last year. Cody Zeller did it the year before that.

Its not uncommon at all.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Smart must have really liked college, because he could have been a top 3 pick easily. Now the draft class is a lot better, also it gives NBA scout more time to find his warts.

Marcus Smart literally just did that last year. Cody Zeller did it the year before that.

Its not uncommon at all.

No, players do it when they want to raise their stock and think they can go earlier in the following draft. Usually because there is less competition at the top for the next year and they were right on the cusp. Wiggins is THE top guy who is guaranteed to go first barring significant injury, you aren't going to stay for one more year in school. It makes absolutely zero sense.

Forever

Banned
AK cleared to play tomorrow. Joe Prunty is still going to be acting coach, but they might lift Deron's minute restriction so hopefully no more Alan Anderson pretending to be a point guard. I got plans with friends but I'm tempted to cancel to watch the Heat game.

No, players do it when they want to raise their stock and think they can go earlier in the following draft. Usually because there is less competition at the top for the next year and they were right on the cusp.

There is no fucking way that Smart could have thought he would go earlier in the 2014 draft.

DY_nasty

No, players do it when they want to raise their stock and think they can go earlier in the following draft. Usually because there is less competition at the top for the next year and their were right on the cusp. Wiggins is THE top guy who is guaranteed to go first barring significant injury, you aren't going to stay for one more year in school. It makes absolutely zero sense.

Zeller would've went #2 behind Anthony Davis last year, without question really. Marcus Smart was a top 3 pick easily - and many felt that he was a better prospect than Oladipo too. You don't even have to look far back at all to see that its not all that much of a rare thing. Hansborough was the #1 pick before he went back to school for all four years. He probably doesn't regret a thing either. It was even more common before the 1 and done rule too (which is likely going to be changed in the near future).
There is no fucking way that Smart could have thought he would go earlier in the 2014 draft.
Yeah, he's basically going back to school for himself. If he was all about the NBA Draft, he would've gladly went to the combine to shit all over Burke and make himself the only real PG prospect worth talking about.

I still think people are overrating Wiggins. He'll be the Blake Griffin of the next draft. He'll be a human highlight reel that lacks basic fundamentals. I'm infinitely higher on Jabari Parker. He's one of the more complete players entering a draft in a long time.

SamuraiX-

Yeppp. I still got my connections. I saw Kobe drop 45 from like 30 feet away, and the next game he tore his achilles.

Anyway, the Pelicans mascot is the stuff of nightmares:

W7p6vEw.jpg

Good lord, how did I miss this?

Child therapists across the country are about to make it rain.

gotta root for him

I still don't believe he'll consistently stay efficient but who knows

Kings fans need this

Indeed. I wanna believe.

Forever

Banned
I still think people are overrating Wiggins. He'll be the Blake Griffin of the next draft. He'll be a human highlight reel that lacks basic fundamentals. I'm infinitely higher on Jabari Parker. He's one of the more complete players entering a draft in a long time.

Pretty much every professional scout and NBA front office would disagree with you. Parker might not make the 2nd, 3rd, even 4th pick.

Zeller would've went #2 behind Anthony Davis last year, without question really. Marcus Smart was a top 3 pick easily - and many felt that he was a better prospect than Oladipo too. You don't even have to look far back at all to see that its not all that much of a rare thing. Hansborough was the #1 pick before he went back to school for all four years. He probably doesn't regret a thing either. It was even more common before the 1 and done rule too (which is likely going to be changed in the near future).

Yeah, he's basically going back to school for himself. If he was all about the NBA Draft, he would've gladly went to the combine to shit all over Burke and make himself the only real PG prospect worth talking about.

What sure thing #1 prospect stayed in school for just a second year? I said players do it if they graduate, that makes sense. What doesn't make sense is a player choosing to stay for a sophomore season and then bailing. What purpose does that serve? You don't get your degree so there was no benefit there and you risk lowering your stock which is more likely than raising it for the following draft. Anyone saying Wiggins will stay just one more season is straight up trolling.

Anthony Davis was from the year before btw. Nobody predicted Bennett going first last year ha No way Smart would have went in the top 3 last year either unless you think Magic would have taken him over Oladipo, were they hard up for a PG at that point? It's possible but he wasn't the sure early pick some of you are making him out to be.

Pretty much every professional scout and NBA front office would disagree with you. Parker might not make the 2nd, 3rd, even 4th pick.

I've been wrong before. I've said this for a while though. I just don't see Wiggins blossoming into a complete player. Wiggins is the flashier prospect so of course he's going to get more attention.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
KBergCBS: Hours before deadline, it remains unlikely that Utah and Gordon Hayward will close the gap and agree on extension, league source says.

Sorry diehard.

DY_nasty

What sure thing #1 prospect stayed in school for just a second year? I said players do it if they graduate, that makes sense. What doesn't make sense is a player choosing to stay for a sophomore season and then bailing. What purpose does that serve? You don't get your degree so there was no benefit there and you risk lowering your stock which is more likely than raising it for the following draft. Anyone saying Wiggins will stay just one more season is straight up trolling.

Anthony Davis was from the year before btw. Nobody predicted Bennett going first last year ha No way Smart would have went in the top 3 last year either unless you think Magic would have taken him over Oladipo, were they hard up for a PG at that point? It's possible but he wasn't the sure early pick some of you are making him out to be.

Zeller was the player of the year the year before and chose to stay in school. Hansborough probably would've been the #1 pick if he chose to come out his freshmen year too.

And yes, Marcus Smart was seen as a better player and prospect than Oladipo for the majority of the year. Orlando had also been high on Marcus Smart as a Jameer replacement on top of that. The only thing that pushed Oladipo so high was his combine scores and interviews. He was arguably behind Burke at one point. No one really wanted to be the team to take a chance on McLemore for good reason.

ESPN had Zeller sixth in their last 2012 mock they did before he declared that he was going back to school. I don't think he would have gone second overall. Marcus Smart was though. I guess there's a chance Parker goes back to school, but I don't think Wiggins is really going to care much about college.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Guys stay for a ton of different reasons. Some guys love the college life - you're the biggest person on campus after all. Some guys want to leave a mark on the school they're playing for because they don't want to feel like they left something unfinished.

And then there are the guys who are that good that already know what teams might be interested in drafting them and they might want no part of that roster, that organization or that city so they stick around in school for another year.

And yes there is no doubt the Magic were seriously interested Smart. Look at how bad they're trying to force Oladipo at giving PG a shot.

Forever

Banned
I guess there's a chance Parker goes back to school, but I don't think Wiggins is really going to care much about college.

I don't really think that Wiggins will troll the NBA and stay another year, but I think it would be hilarious if he did. And it happens all the time, which Squall seems to have some trouble accepting.

IWMTB do you know who the best prospects from the 2015 draft are?

this is the first time in a while that I have heard zip on high school prospects

Why don't you ask Cody Zeller and Marcus Smart?

Where they the top prospect like Wiggins? Nope. I disagree with you guys on where those two would have been drafted relative to where they felt they'd go waiting another year. Smart especially wasn't going that early with most of the top picks belonging to teams that already addressed the PG position.

DY_nasty

Where they the top prospect like Wiggins? Nope. I disagree with you guys on where those two would have been drafted relative to where they felt they'd go waiting another year. Smart especially wasn't going that early with most of the top picks belonging to teams that already addressed the PG position.
Wiggins is Shabazz Muhammed until he plays lol

Or Harrison Barnes

GMs are already sliding off on him

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Hilarious that garbage jimmer is getting is option declined.

Dude won't even be in the NBDL in 2 seasons.

I seriously disagree with this. Dude can shoot the 3, some team will sign him at the very least to come off the bench to score points. He really needs some good coaching and thats something he has never gotten in Sacramento.

Pkaz01

At this rate the tank race might end up being more entertaining to follow than playoff seedings.

I'd like to pull for you guys but I'm sorry, after last night I've gotta root for the Sixers to get Wiggins. MCW, Wiggins, and Noel sounds like a fun young core to build around. And they have the Pelicans pick as well, and that's only protected top 5.

They could be like Thunder 2.0 down the line, minus the part where they trade away any hope of a chip.

You know what the great thing is about 2014? I wouldn't even be mad if we didn't get the first pick. A part of me hopes we can get the second pick so we can pick up randle without getting destroyed for it by picking him over wiggins.

DY_nasty

ESPN had Zeller sixth in their last 2012 mock they did before he declared that he was going back to school. I don't think he would have gone second overall. Marcus Smart was though. I guess there's a chance Parker goes back to school, but I don't think Wiggins is really going to care much about college.

That was before his godlike combine numbers were a thing. Everyone aside from Anthony Davis was #2. Davis was the 'generational talent' that people mean to talk about...
I seriously disagree with this. Dude can shoot the 3, some team will sign him at the very least to come off the bench to score points. He really needs some good coaching and thats something he has never gotten in Sacramento.

Jimmer got screwed in Sacramento. Hope he gets released early or can at least get shipped out so he can get to a team that is willing to use and develop him. Hate to say it, but he'd be great for NY.

IWMTB do you know who the best prospects from the 2015 draft are?

this is the first time in a while that I have heard zip on high school prospects

Jahili Okafor is a 7'0, 280lb 17 year old with a ton of post moves who completely dominated in the Under-19 over the Summer and Myles Turner is like a less coordinated Anthony Davis from what I've read. Those are the guys getting really hyped up from the upcoming high school class.

I don't really think that Wiggins will troll the NBA and stay another year, but I think it would be hilarious if he did. And it happens all the time, which Squall seems to have some trouble accepting.

There are no examples like Wiggins out there. This kid has been hyped as the best prospect since Lebron. Shabazz had a lot of hype but merely as a scorer and no one was saying he was the next great, just a monster at scoring.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
There are no examples like Wiggins out there. This kid has been hyped as the best prospect since Lebron. Shabazz had a lot of hype but merely as a scorer and no one was saying he was the next great, just a monster at scoring.

no john wall was suppose to be the next one, then anthony davis, and now wiggins. At least keep the hyperbole historically accurate.

nah

Wiggins is the only guy you heard about multiple seasons before he was even draft eligible

Wall came on the scene super late. People didn't know much about Davis either.

Guys have been talking about Wiggins for years though.

no john wall was suppose to be the next one, then anthony davis, and now wiggins. At least keep the hyperbole historically accurate.

Those guys too were really hyped but still nothing on the scale of Wiggins. I haven't seen anyone this hyped since Lebron. We'll see if that dies down during the season but some insane hype before playing a single college game.

nah

Wiggins is the only guy you heard about multiple seasons before he was even draft eligible

Wall came on the scene super late. People didn't know much about Davis either.

Guys have been talking about Wiggins for years though.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Jimmer got screwed in Sacramento. Hope he gets released early or can at least get shipped out so he can get to a team that is willing to use and develop him. Hate to say it, but he'd be great for NY.

According to a second person with knowledge of the situation, the Kings have received trade interest from about six teams about Fredette and, surprisingly, the Utah Jazz are not known to be among that group. The Jazz could use another perimeter scorer, and Fredette's popularity in that region would come as an added bonus at a time when they're rebuilding around young talents Gordon Hayward and Derrick Favors.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...r-fredette-contract-sacramento-kings/3329339/

Definitely looks like somebody else is going to give him a shot. Jimmer going to Utah would be pretty hilarious but its not happening. Knicks would be a good fit.

The one thing is really silly is the fact that people say the Kings could have had a guy like Klay, or Leonard or Faried instead of Jimmer without realizing that those guys wouldn't be anywhere close to the same level they are at now if they were playing for the dysfunctional mess that is Sacramento instead of where they are now.

The guys hyped as elite prospects out of high school has gone:

2012:

Noel
Shabazz

2011:

Davis
Drummond
MKG
Beal

Barnes
Perry Jones III

Wall
Favors

Mullens

Mayo
Beasley
Bayless
Rose

I think. Mayo and Barnes (Mayo was compared frequently to LeBron, Barnes to Kobe) might have had as much hype coming out of high school, but I don't think the other guys did. Wall was compared mostly to Rose who wasn't that great by the time that Wall was coming out of high school. Davis wasn't really hyped up that much out of high school despite being the best prospect of any of these guys by the end of the college season.

Drummond is probably the most similar prospect in hype as he was an insane physical tools, questionable skill/desire guy who was hyped up for years and years before he came to college as well.

Forever

Banned
You know what the great thing is about 2014? I wouldn't even be mad if we didn't get the first pick. A part of me hopes we can get the second pick so we can pick up randle without getting destroyed for it by picking him over wiggins.

I definitely think that Randle is a more obvious fit for the Suns.

Wiggins would slide in so nicely with the Sixers it's like it has to happen.

Everyone wins.

it's widely reported that orlando would've taken smart #2 if he was on the board

in retrospect i'm glad he didn't declare since he had a lot of problems that i glossed over because he was 18

2015 looks like a better draft than 2014 to me. Everyone has T-Rex arms in this year's class or is super skinny. I really like Wiggins, Parker, James Young, Hezonja, and Vonleh though. I'm not that high on Randle or Smart.

According to a second person with knowledge of the situation, the Kings have received trade interest from about six teams about Fredette and, surprisingly, the Utah Jazz are not known to be among that group. The Jazz could use another perimeter scorer, and Fredette's popularity in that region would come as an added bonus at a time when they're rebuilding around young talents Gordon Hayward and Derrick Favors.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...r-fredette-contract-sacramento-kings/3329339/

Definitely looks like somebody else is going to give him a shot. Jimmer going to Utah would be pretty hilarious but its not happening. Knicks would be a good fit.---
wat

LuchaShaq

Banned

The dude is an ok shot, but guys like Reddick/Novak/Green/Neal/Martin/etc are all leaps and bounds better at passing/defense/shot selection/ball handling etc.

Besides shooting from deep there isn't a single NBA skill that he has that would put him above the worst 1-5% of the league.

diehard

Fleer
The dude is an ok shot, but guys like Reddick/Novak/Green/Neal/Martin/etc are all leaps and bounds better at passing/defense/shot selection/ball handling etc.

Besides shooting from deep there isn't a single NBA skill that he has that would put him above the worst 1-5% of the league.

Guys like Novak are leaps and bounds better at passing and ball handling? dude what are you smoking?

Players like Randy Foye start in this league.

LuchaShaq

Banned

Guys like Novak are leaps and bounds better at passing and ball handling? dude what are you smoking?

Players like Randy Foye start in this league.

Randy Foye is Jordan 2.0 compared to Jimmer.

Just because he is part of your cult doesn't mean he isn't trash.

DY_nasty

What position would he play? Knicks are stacked at PG and SG. I guess he might be better than Udrih, but he sure doesn't have his PG skills.

Stacked?

Eh... He'd be a good fit as a third guard for them. He's a good, cheap shooter and ballhandler. Sacramento really shit on him though.

Randy Foye is Jordan 2.0 compared to Jimmer.

Just because he is part of your cult doesn't mean he isn't trash.

I'm not a Jimmer fan at all, but he's pretty much as good as ***** ****. Foye does...Absolutely nothing well on the basketball court other than shooting spotup jumpers and is completely overwhelmed athletically to the point where he can't defend Yi's chair so it's hard for me to see the argument you're making here especially when it's just a personal attack with no details as to why you have this thought.

giri

Stacked?

Eh... He'd be a good fit as a third guard for them. He's a good, cheap shooter and ballhandler. Sacramento really shit on him though.

Huh? i thought you were joking.

He'd be wasted on that team. Buried on the bench again, rightly or wrongly.

Top Bottom