• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-14 NBA Oct-Nov Season |OT| They can't hide the championship banners Forever

Yeppp. I still got my connections. I saw Kobe drop 45 from like 30 feet away, and the next game he tore his achilles.

Anyway, the Pelicans mascot is the stuff of nightmares:

W7p6vEw.jpg

https://twitter.com/HPbasketball

Some of the photoshops he's RTing are pretty good.

WtqIfe5.jpg

zg4vDs9.jpg

LTAwkIf.jpg

Pimpwerx

We are all fans

I didn't at a professional level but have played and coached

By the logic you are stating me should never be able to criticize a player or coach because what do we know? ROFL

Spo isn't even that well respected by 2 of his 3 stars if that WOJ report is a 100 percent honest...

He is a forward thinking coach and in a league that has 9 new coaches Spo is in that top 4 or 5...
No, I'm saying some logic is due in the discourse over what does or doesn't make a coach good. I've explained pretty well why I linked to this particular article as support for my previous comments on the topic of Spo. I've never said that people can't criticize, I simply ask for an explanation why. People have asked me why I think this article is evidence, and I didn't whine about it, I gave my explanation...multiple times in increasing detail. Pardon me for trying to raise the level of discourse beyond, "LOL, Spo isn't a great coach.", which is what I believe one of your own posts amounted to in the previous thread.

That sort of offhand dismissal doesn't lead to productive discussion. You didn't like how I replied to Reilo's equally dismissive (and blatantly snarky) remarks earlier, so I did as you asked and elevated my level of posts on the topic. I've never had a problem with being challenged on what I say, as I have the utmost confidence in my ability to back my play. I believe what I've said is that this article, due to sourcing and content makes it rather difficult to just dismiss without some greater level of thought or sourcing. That's not telling people they can't criticize.

As for the respect Wade and Bron (I assume those are the 2 of the 3 you're referring to) have for him, I don't believe you read the article quite right. That was referring to the early period of the Big3 Era, and it only referred to Lebron. It's to emphasize his growth as a coach and the deepening of their relationship.

I'll be honest with you and admit that I prefer to keep everything at a shallow, jockular level in this thread, but if you want to constantly hound me with threats of bans for doing what many of the "regulars" here do all the time, then I'll keep it professional and obnoxiously intellectual, like this. I mean, Reilo was clearly just twisting knobs with his first reply to the article, so calling him a "jackass" didn't seem particularly out of line. It's not like his feelings were gonna be hurt by it. It was somewhat tongue-in-cheek anyway. I can tow the line, though, even if it's sterile and boring. PEACE.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
You should know as well as anyone I don't do insults here... I can't catch everything but when I let you know... guess you would rather not be warned I suppose... because you are driveby poster and a steady contributor to the thread I gave you that curtsey...
You see it as hounding I see it as not banning you

As for the coaching I never said he wasnt good just not great.

Even MJ listened to Phil... but Spo doesn't have full control of that team...

Just two years ago Wade snapped on him

And even now Wade was saying I will play back 2 backs but just be smart about it

Doesn't sound like someone fully confident in his coach

Bosh has never been a big supporter as well

Xs and Os are good and but coaching is more than that

That's why Doc is pretty much considered a better coach because players league wide seem to respect him

Maybe it's his NBA background who knows

Pkaz01

Id say Jazz had a good chance of winning on friday but lulz our PG's gonna get eaten alive.

you might still have a good chance, they have been inconsistent in the preseason.

I do like the start though

edit - actually Dragic always tears it up against utah so you might be in trouble.

Fjordson

Just got back from the Warriors' home opener. Nice win. Klay was beasting all over the place and Iggy fits great with this team.

Just hope Harrison Barnes gets healthy soon. We're gonna need solid production and defense from him. Especially as a boost to that second unit.

MVP

Banned
but if you want to constantly hound me with threats of bans for doing what many of the "regulars" here do all the time,

lol I thought this only happened with me...does anyone besides Heat fans get ban threats?

You should know as well as anyone I don't do insults here...

I appreciate the ban threats before actual banning, because I've been banned before without any warning for stuff I didn't even know was wrong. Some consistency would be appreciated, though. I get insults thrown at me all the time in this thread and I never see any ban threats, yet I make a joke about Beasley being Carmelo and I get threatened with a ban.

Just got called a douche in a previous page for calling Philly fans the worst fans in the country, in response to all the fucking times people make the same tired lame ass jokes about Heat fans. I can take the abuse but I like to know when I dish it back out, if it's the same type, there won't be any consequences.

Kibbles

I haven't watched the NBA in many years so I'm not in the loop here but I just saw that Allen Iverson retired. The fuck? Didn't he retire years ago? I see he hasn't been active since 2010 in the NBA and even went to Turkey to play? I don't get how he is just retiring. What was he doing this whole time?

Blackace

lol I thought this only happened with me...does anyone besides Heat fans get ban threats?

I appreciate the ban threats before actual banning, because I've been banned before without any warning for stuff I didn't even know was wrong. Some consistency would be appreciated, though. I get insults thrown at me all the time in this thread and I never see any ban threats, yet I make a joke about Beasley being Carmelo and I get threatened with a ban.

Just got called a douche in a previous page for calling Philly fans the worst fans in the country, in response to all the fucking times people make the same tired lame ass jokes about Heat fans. I can take the abuse but I like to know when I dish it back out, if it's the same type, there won't be any consequences.

I see how you didn't quote I can't catch everything.

Being sports, there is passion for one's team and stuff gets said.. and I do tell a lot of people to cool it.. doesn't matter what team they are fans of..

I don't remember the Melo thing, but I do remember the Baby Dream troll about Oden.

And ask Laker fans when there were the top dogs and knew it how they many times I had to tell them to stop trolling before they got banned... some didn't even heed the warnings...

giri

I haven't watched the NBA in many years so I'm not in the loop here but I just saw that Allen Iverson retired. The fuck? Didn't he retire years ago? I see he hasn't been active since 2010 in the NBA and even went to Turkey to play? I don't get how he is just retiring. What was he doing this whole time?

He hasn't had an NBA contract in years.

He never officially retired though.

Blackace

In like March 2013 he said he still would like to play..

giri

Also, watching the suns game.

I like plumlee more than Gortat already. Kid actually plays a physical game. And dunks on the inside instead of pissing about with lay ups.If he can stay healthy, he's a real find.

Pkaz01

Also, watching the suns game.

I like plumlee more than Gortat already. Kid actually plays a physical game. And dunks on the inside instead of pissing about with lay ups.If he can stay healthy, he's a real find.

he shitted on lopez yesterday i am so glad we let him go. I think the adrenaline and excitement helped him this game and no way do I expect him to play at this level but its really out of no where. He literally scored more points today than he did all of last season.

Good thing McD knows what he is doing and played hardball until the pacers threw him into the trade. Good effort all around tonight.

Blackace

he shitted on lopez yesterday i am so glad we let him go. I think the adrenaline and excitement helped him this game and no way do I expect him to play at this level but its really out of no where. He literally scored more points today than he did all of last season.

Good thing McD knows what he is doing and played hardball until the pacers threw him into the trade. Good effort all around tonight.

He was a rookie last year no?

Pkaz01

He was a rookie last year no?

Yea he was buried behind the Pacers bigs. Its a huge jump he went from such limited minutes to starting in like one off season.

It gives me hope on Len developing into a good C. Looking back at centers like hibbert, vucevic, and pekovic they really didn't starting average good numbers until their second year.

Maybe it's Plumlee's turn we will see.

giri

Yea he was buried behind the Pacers bigs. Its a huge jump he went from such limited minutes to starting in like one off season.

It gives me hope on Len developing into a good C. Looking back at centers like hibbert, vucevic, and pekovic they really didn't starting average good numbers until their second year.

Maybe it's Plumlee's turn we will see.

more like 3rd year for a lot of them.

Plumlee's foot work looked solid, and that's really important. he looked pretty gassed after the first half though. Gotta get used to playing those big minutes. I mean, i'm not expecting a lot here. From him or Len this season. But if plumlee turns into a solid effecient 12 & 8 guy, and his D continues to develop then that'd be amazing. But that's reaching.

His defense looked good too. Which is really just as important. Interesting to see how he goes anyway.

hey, it's going to be a long season :|

Pkaz01

Plumlee's foot work looked solid, and that's really important. he looked pretty gassed after the first half though. Gotta get used to playing those big minutes. I mean, i'm not expecting a lot here. From him or Len this season. But if plumlee turns into a solid effecient 15 & 8 guy, and his D continues to develop then that'd be amazing. But that's reaching.

His defense looked good too. Which is really just as important. Interesting to see how he goes anyway.

Oh thats for sure. I expect a lot of downs and some bright spots. But at least its going to be an interesting season and we have things to look forward to and players to watch the development of.

We spent the last couple seasons watching players like brown, morris, beasley, marshall, and telfair. I'm ready to watch some players who are going to give it their all. (even though I have to admit telfair did he just wasn't very bright)

and if we hit rock bottom oh well 4 possible draft picks next season and maybe more with possible trade bait in frye, dragic, and even bledsoe if it seems like he isn't going to sign that contract. Is he restricted?

I read that McD was trying to have him sign before the 31st but who knows he would kind of be stupid to sign now before seeing his market value

Blackace

Plumlee's foot work looked solid, and that's really important. he looked pretty gassed after the first half though. Gotta get used to playing those big minutes. I mean, i'm not expecting a lot here. From him or Len this season. But if plumlee turns into a solid effecient 12 & 8 guy, and his D continues to develop then that'd be amazing. But that's reaching.

He was a SR too right?

giri

Oh thats for sure. I expect a lot of downs and some bright spots. But at least its going to be an interesting season and we have things to look forward to and players to watch the development of.

We spent the last couple seasons watching players like brown, morris, beasley, marshall, and telfair. I'm ready to watch some players who are going to give it their all. (even though I have to admit telfair did he just wasn't very bright)

and if we hit rock bottom oh well 4 possible draft picks next season and maybe more with possible trade bait in frye, dragic, and even bledsoe if it seems like he isn't going to sign that contract. Is he restricted?

I read that McD was trying to have him sign before the 31st but who knows he would kind of be stupid to sign now before seeing his market value

Yeah, he had to sign before the first of November. Suns just have to make a qualifying offer now and he'll be a restricted free agent. Which you have to assume they will when they wanted to re-sign him.

He was a SR too right?

SR? Second round? i think plumlee was a frist round pick by the pacers last year.

Yeah, first round, 26th pick.

Pkaz01

Yeah, he had to sign before the first of November. Suns just have to make a qualifying offer now and he'll be a restricted free agent. Which you have to assume they will when they wanted to re-sign him..

Let's see how this goes I wonder if Babby will be handling the contract situation or if he will leave it to McD. Lets hope Sarver stays out of the way as well. Its been fascinating that we have heard nothing about him after McD and Hornacek got hired. Probably a good thing but these are the scenarios he likes to meddle with. I don't think he is dumb enough to force the m to give him a low ball offer, especially after some of the contracts given to people like warrick, childress, and the offer for gordon. But overpaying makes me nervous as well.

giri

Let's see how this goes I wonder if Babby will be handling the contract situation or if he will leave it to McD. Lets hope Sarver stays out of the way as well. Its been fascinating that we have heard nothing about him after McD and Hornacek got hired. Probably a good thing but these are the scenarios he likes to meddle with. I don't think he is dumb enough to force the m to give him a low ball offer, especially after some of the contracts given to people like warrick, childress, and the offer for gordon. But overpaying makes me nervous as well.

Yeah. I don' t mind the effort to re-sign him straight up. But really, you won't know what he's worth until he plays a full season as a starter.

You should know as well as anyone I don't do insults here... I can't catch everything but when I let you know... guess you would rather not be warned I suppose... because you are driveby poster and a steady contributor to the thread I gave you that curtsey...
You see it as hounding I see it as not banning you

As for the coaching I never said he wasnt good just not great.

Even MJ listened to Phil... but Spo doesn't have full control of that team...

Just two years ago Wade snapped on him

And even now Wade was saying I will play back 2 backs but just be smart about it

Doesn't sound like someone fully confident in his coach

Bosh has never been a big supporter as well

Xs and Os are good and but coaching is more than that

That's why Doc is pretty much considered a better coach because players league wide seem to respect him

Maybe it's his NBA background who knows

Again, the only agument people can try to produce is circumstantial. Phil Jackson has been "snapped on" as he has detailed in his books. Pop has had fallouts with his players. So has riles. That's insiginificant in the scheme of things. I don't even know what you're alluding to with the Wade quote. No, other players around the league may not sing his praises but he gets recognition from guys like Pop and Doc which is far more important imo.

Spo is the captain of the ship. There's really no wiggle room around that. He has Riley's sword and he has Micky's stamp. The team follows his gameplan to a T and I think by now its well understood that unless your name is Lebron James, you aren't guaranteed minutes. That includes two max contract guys like Bosh/Wade who has been benched multiple times at the ends of games. Im sorry, but control of the team is the last thing you can criticize Spo for.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Wtf nbatv no gametime? I don't want to watch the red sox celebrate on sportscenter...

I caught knicks 60 this morning..... which was great cause i didn't see the ending to yesterdays game yesterday.

Barg is trash at the 5 (I still got hope for him at the 4) but its all cool cause he is 2015 cap space anyhow. I think

Felton
Shump
Melo
MWP
Chandler

with JR as the 6th man and Prigs getting his share of minutes should be the go to line up through the season. Give everyone else minutes through the season to see who gets playoff minutes besides that. Hardaway looks like he can become a solid contributor already which is good to see from a rook.

Blackace

Again, the only agument people can try to produce is circumstantial. Phil Jackson has been "snapped on" as he has detailed in his books. Pop has had fallouts with his players. So has riles. That's insiginificant in the scheme of things. I don't even know what you're alluding to with the Wade quote. No, other players around the league may not sing his praises but he gets recognition from guys like Pop and Doc which is far more important imo.

Spo is the captain of the ship. There's really no wiggle room around that. He has Riley's sword and he has Micky's stamp. The team follows his gameplan to a T and I think by now its well understood that unless your name is Lebron James, you aren't guaranteed minutes. That includes two max contract guys like Bosh/Wade who has been benched multiple times at the ends of games. Im sorry, but control of the team is the last thing you can criticize Spo for.

Pop nor Phil have been publicly snapped on like Spo...

And he does get his props don't know why it's such a sore spot for Spo to be considered the 4th or 5th best coach at 42

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I have a question about League Pass and black out dates.

I'm in Central Florida...when will I be restricted from a Knicks game? Since something like 95%+ of games are broadcast on MSG (NY's local sports channel) is that what I have access to? So basically anything on national broadcast (which I have my cable box for) I wouldn't be able to stream?

After last night's game I've decided that I'm done with both Henderson and Sessions. Sessions can score, but that's literally all he does when he comes in. He doesn't look to get his teammates involved and that's not what we need out of our backup point. If we don't trade him by the deadline we should just let his contract run out to let him become a fa in the offseason. Hendo is trickier because I can't think of a single team that would want him. He's average in all aspects of the game and he is a detriment to the development of MKG and Taylor. We were too loyal for our own good, we should have just let him walk. We'll have to take on a bad contract to move him, which sucks.

Pop nor Phil have been publicly snapped on like Spo...

And he does get his props don't know why it's such a sore spot for Spo to be considered the 4th or 5th best coach at 42
Who cares if it's public? It was hardly anything big at all anyway. In the middle of an intense playoff series and wade was playing like ass. Big whoop, they were fine by the next game. What about the stories about Rondo and Doc nearly coming to blows. Or last year in the finals where doc and Timmy got into it and Duncan walked straight past the huddle during a timeout?

Shit happens, I can cherry pick random events too, it's not hard...

we've won the last two titles

what the fuck have any of your 500 teams done lately
Em is a fucking clown man, ignore him

Blackace

Who cares if it's public? It was hardly anything big at all anyway. In the middle of an intense playoff series and wade was playing like ass. Big whoop, they were fine by the next game. What about the stories about Rondo and Doc nearly coming to blows. Or last year in the finals where doc and Timmy got into it and Duncan walked straight past the huddle during a timeout?

if you don't know the difference between airing your shit publicly and having private problems, there isn't much I can tell you...

Nothing cherry picked about that at all..

if you don't know the difference between airing your shit publicly and having private problems, there isn't much I can tell you...

Nothing cherry picked about that at all..
Of course there's a difference, I'm telling you it's nothing either way. And again, pop had been disrespected publicly too, as recent as last June. It's a real weak thing to hang your argument on ...

Suns win? Fuck a tank? I don't even know what is going on anymore

This isn't football, plenty more games for us to tank. If anything, Sixers beating Heat is a larger blow to tank efforts but neither really matter.

Watching our new back court was as fun as expected. Even if we end up with the worst record in the league, these two will be fun to watch. Plumb was obviously a big and pleasant surprise and if he can develop may be a steal. It doesn't look like Len will get as much development this year as I thought if Plumb continues to grow. It's one game though and there's no way he's putting up those numbers night in night out. Still, between these three hungry players and the consummate professional that PJ Tucker is, effort will not be an issue this year and that will make a dismal season palatable to watch. Especially if Wiggins is waiting at the finish line.

As you pointed out, this season will be a lot more enjoyable to watch than the past couple years with the journeyman trash we've had. At least we have exciting, young players now. So next up is Utah, how are they looking?

Emwitus

Shit happens, I can cherry pick random events too, it's not hard...

Em is a fucking clown man, ignore him

Being a clown is putting spo in the same discussion as pops and phil.

Top Bottom