• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-14 NBA Pre-Season |OT| Nobody won more with less than Lebron. Maybe Phil Jackson

fertygo

I rather have Burke than Magic/Wilbon.

I don't take their pre-game/post-game stuff too seriously so I just like for them to have fun...while not being ridiculously stupid
With Magic you not getting fun neither good discussion.

Lin is gonna have to wrangle that starting spot from whatever bum snatches it from him before we even talk about dude sniffing a double double.

Training camp is two weeks old. Where are the stories and articles about him having his spot ran?

I'll gladly read it. Also, within these articles I hope there are quotes from Kevin about said starting PG spot.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Lin pretty much lost his spot after the all-star break.

The guy fading into sub-mediocrity is a non-story.

Lin was always just a novelty move. No way Morey makes that deal if he knew he'd snag Harden and D12.

He's turnover prone, has Shakey passing skills and a weak jumper. He makes no sense in a starting 5 with Harden. He's basically a much worse YNb (Whackbrook).

He's exactly what you don't need if you're running with D12 and James. I'd he could pass or shoot he'd perfect for them. I doubt they'll give him any time to develop further, but ain't nobody want that contract.

Goldsberry said:
Along with Ashton Shortridge, a professor at Michigan State, I did this analysis for every player who took at least one shot during the 2012-13 regular season. We refer to the difference between a player's actual point yield and his expected yield as ShotScore. For good shooters this number is positive; for bad shooters it is negative.

Top 10 shooters in the NBA according to this stat:

1. LeBron
2. Durant
3. Curry
4. Calderon
5. Ibaka
6. Korver
7. Horford
8. Bosh
9. Dirk
10. CP3

Bottom 5

1. Monta
2. Greg Monroe
3. Sessions
4. Westbrook
5. Rubio

This stat takes into account where players shoots from but doesn't take into account defensive pressure on the shooter (and ability to score in the paint matters with this as well) so it's definitely not perfect for judging shooting ability but it may be a step up from other ways. It's probably debatable how worthwhile a stat like this is since players who are great shooters but shoot from terrible spots on the floor usually don't change their habits to turn their shooting ability into efficient offense, but it's kind of interesting.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id...ntroduces-new-way-understand-nba-best-scorers

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-t...g-blanks-the-players-with-the-worst-shotscore

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Your schtick is getting old.

Uh what?

Who was better? Shaq? Fuck him.

I have a soft spot in my heart for TMac. He did everything he could do for this city and this team. Nobody could have carried that garbage roster though. People forget how good he was. His season in 2003 was one of the greatest seasons. Ever. He should have won MVP that season.

linsivvi

Uh what?

Who was better? Shaq? Fuck him.

I have a soft spot in my heart for TMac. He did everything he could do for this city and this team. Nobody could have carried that garbage roster though.

That makes him your favorite Magic player. That doesn't make him better than Shaq in any shape or form in the real world.

And for the record your "best" Magic player never scored a single point in the 2nd round and beyond.

That makes him your favorite Magic player. That doesn't make him better than Shaq in any shape or form in the real world.

And for the record your "best" Magic player never scored a single point in the 2nd round and beyond.

oh boy do you remember this

http://dimemag.com/2013/04/we-remin...econd-round-of-the-nba-playoffs-10-years-ago/

However average his team was (seriously, they started guys like Gordan Giricek, Andrew DeClercq, Jacque Vaughn and Pat Garrity during that series), against the top-seeded Detroit Pistons, McGrady came out on fire. He scored 43, 46, 29 and 27 points in the first four games respectively, shooting over 51 percent from the field as the Magic took three of the first four games. In the postgame press conference following Game 4, when asked how he felt following the victory, McGrady replied, “It feels good to get in the second round.”

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Yeah because his teammates were the likes of Juwan Howard, Andrew DeClerq, Tyronn Lue and Fat Shawn Kemp.

Vyer

Lin always struck me as Alexander demand more than anything. He always seemed to really regret missing out on the Lin money train.

Forever

Banned
Clutchfans article on this Lin nonsense.

Meanwhile, Jeremy Lin also excelled in his new role as spark plug off the bench. In his 23 minutes, Lin relentlessly attacked the basket and created for both himself (14 points, 8-of-8 on free throws) and teammates such as Omri Casspi (17 points) and Donatas Motiejunas (16 points). Lin recorded a team-high five assists after repeatedly collapsing the Indiana defense with his drives.

So, what does this mean?

“We’re still trying to figure things out,” head coach Kevin McHale told the Houston Chronicle after the game in Manila, The Philippines, adding that Lin would start the next game on Sunday in Taiwan. “They both played very well. A lot of it is about trying to get as many people as possible playing well.”

It sounds as if the rotation could linger throughout the remaining six games of the preseason schedule. On paper, the idea of starting Beverley has its merits.

But beyond the hot start in a tiny sample size, Beverley has a skillset that may fit well with the starters. Lin is the better creator of his own offense, but that might not be needed as often with Harden, Dwight Howard and Chandler Parsons all on the floor. Meanwhile, Beverley’s superior defense, rebounding and reduced turnovers could make him a better “fourth wheel” candidate.

It’s not that Lin has played poorly, of course. He’s actually been excellent. Through two games, Lin is averaging 13 points on better than 50% shooting, along with 4.5 assists and 4.5 rebounds in just 21 minutes. In Saturday’s opener, his +16 was the team’s best plus-minus ratio.

Both Beverley and Lin should play similar minutes once the regular season opens, so it’s not necessarily an issue of deciding the better player or “demoting” Lin. Rather, it could come down to which fits better with each unit.
I think that Lin simply fits better as a 6th man on that team and will do well in that role. It never really made sense having two ball dominant guards playing with each other anyway. Beverley is a more natural fit with Harden et al.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
That one was a classic.

How about when his teammates were Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili?

Still scoreless.

He's only 33.

MVP level argument

"He's only 33" after literally breaking his back carrying those scrub ass Magic teams

linsivvi

I didn't argue that McGrady was a better player than Shaq.

The years McGrady had with Orlando were better than the years Shaq had with Orlando.

Were you even old enough to watch those games? Or did you "watch" them like you watched the pre-season game that was never televised?

Shaq was just as dominant back then.

KingGondo

Banned
Perk has been accused of assaulting a woman and her brother outside a Houston nightclub.

Thunder center Kendrick Perkins is facing a misdemeanor assault charge in Houston stemming from an alleged altercation outside of a nightclub in July.

Perkins, who is accused of punching a woman and her brother, posted a $1,000 bond Thursday morning. He was not seen at the team's practice Thursday afternoon.

“We were made aware of the allegations,” said Thunder general manager Sam Presti in a statement. “It is something we take seriously and are gathering more information. We will have no further comment at this time.”
http://newsok.com/kendrick-perkins-facing-assault-charge-in-houston/article/3891983

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
How is this even debatable?

Shaq's presence >>>>>>> TMac's presence.

Shaq in his youthful prime had the ability to steal or block, grab the ball, outrun the defense across court and slam it down. I can hardly think of any true center who would do that today. 90s centers were fucking epic.

Forever

Banned
Only time Perk has beat a double team.

o4Zw4.gif

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Were you even old enough to watch those games? Or did you "watch" them like you watched the pre-season game that was never televised?

Shaq was just as dominant back then.

I lived in Orlando for the tail end of the McGrady days here in Orlando.His year in 2003 is still some of the best basketball I've ever seen in my life. Nobody really appreciates how great he was in his prime, one of the most awesome and greatest players I've ever seen. It's amazing how people talk about how he didn't pass the ball when he was an amazing passer. He probably passed way too much given the garbage he played with.

The only Magic games I caught as a kid were the ones against the Knicks. I'm old but not quite that old.

But yes I will take Tmac because fuck Shaq.

linsivvi

I lived in Orlando for the tail end of the McGrady days here in Orlando.His year in 2003 is still some of the best basketball I've ever seen in my life. Nobody really appreciates how great he was in his prime, one of the most awesome and greatest players I've ever seen. It's amazing how people talk about how he didn't pass the ball when he was an amazing passer. He probably passed way too much given the garbage he played with.

The only Magic games I caught as a kid were the ones against the Knicks. I'm old but not quite that old.

But yes I will take Tmac because fuck Shaq.

So you never watched Shaq during his prime then. Gotcha.

Smokey

Good thing you guys over paid him to get him off the Knicks.

Yeah? So you can continue to donate your surplus of $$ to broke knee Amare?

Stay Knickin

It's basically an open position between Lin and Bev. Mchale said he will rotate them from starting/6th man in preseason and see what happens.

Top Bottom