• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-14 NBA Pre-Season |OT| Nobody won more with less than Lebron. Maybe Phil Jackson

KingGondo

Banned
@MagicJohnson said:
My top teams in the West are the Clippers, Spurs, Grizzlies, Warriors and Rockets. Look out for the Lakers, Nuggets, Blazers, and Mavs.
Thunder to finish 10th or worse in the West confirmed.

The hell have the Mavs done to become a playoff team?

They're probably not as terrible as you think they'll be (Dirk for the whole year) but that team also has the potential to be complete trash. Monta Ellis takes them as far as they go!

Also I think I'm going to miss the entire opener against Chicago ;_;

Branduil

The hell have the Mavs done to become a playoff team?

-Dirk potentially on the team for more than half a season
-Actual starting point guard who isn't 50 years old and retired
-OJ Mayo cancer excised
-The last two playoff spots in the west are pretty up for grabs

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I'd rather have Mayo than Monta. Monta is far fucking worse. Even Dirk can't save that trash roster, especially at his age.

Their centers are Dalembert and Brandan Wright. Their backup for Dirk is Dejuan Blair. C'mon...

Branduil

I'd rather have Mayo than Monta. Monta is far fucking worse. Even Dirk can't save that trash roster, especially at his age.

Spoken like someone who hasn't watched Mayo play for his team for 82 games. I once thought as you did, then I found out the truth the hard way.

Their centers are Dalembert and Brandan Wright. Their backup for Dirk is Dejuan Blair. C'mon...

Their centers last year were Kaman and Brandan Wright. They suck at the position but let's not act like they got dramatically worse there in the offseason.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
A backcourt combo of Jose Calderon and Monta Ellis would seem to leave a lot to be desired defensively, but what do I know.

Monta is worse than Mayo but Calderon and Dalembert are a good bit better than Collison and Kaman (even if Calderon and Dalembert decline)

I think Dirk will have a bounce-back year and get the Mavs into the playoffs even if Vince and Matrix decline. Portland's defense is still questionable even with the massive upgrade at center and their bench is still bad. The Wolves have almost no defense, injury-prone players, and I'm skeptical of how good they'll be able to be offensively with a PG that can't score so I would probably project the Mavs getting into the playoffs over those two.

reilo

why is kyrie ranked number 9 in espn's top player thing

The weirder thing is that they put Marc Gasol Top 10 based off of advanced stats alone.

And then they put Stephen Curry #6 based off of his offensive production alone. Super weird list.

The weirder thing is that they put Marc Gasol Top 10 based off of advanced stats alone.

But they didn't (it's voted on by a lot of different people, many of whom don't use plus or minus at all) and just showed the numbers that actually showed his level of defense impact as a detail to his profile.

They're probably not as terrible as you think they'll be (Dirk for the whole year) but that team also has the potential to be complete trash. Monta Ellis takes them as far as they go!

Also I think I'm going to miss the entire opener against Chicago ;_;
At least you won't be in the desert :p

why is kyrie ranked number 9 in espn's top player thing

The list is based on what they think people will do this season, not based on what they've already done.

I guess they think with defensive genious Mike Brown in the house, that Kyrie will actually start to defend now.

idk wtf @ Marc and Steph though.

Tom Penny

The list is based on what they think people will do this season, not based on what they've already done.

I guess they think with defensive genious Mike Brown in the house, that Kyrie will actually start to defend now.

idk wtf @ Marc and Steph though.

Don't sleep. COTY knows his shit

Brown believes Tristan Thompson can be one of the league’s elite post defenders.
“He’s so athletic and so long, he can be one of the best in the league if not the best ever,”

Curry was one of the best offensive players in the NBA while being a solid defensive player, Gasol is a top 5 defensive player in the NBA while being very productive offensively despite maybe being in the worst situation he could be for his stats (since Z-bo steals potential post touches and offensive rebounds, Prince and Allen turn his potential assists into bricks, and Memphis plays at the slowest pace in the league).

Gasol was 6th in Win Shares last year while Curry was 7th and their teams did very well despite major issues on the roster, I don't see any issue with them in the top 10.

Dalemburt's gonna need a respirator waiting for him on the bench trying to defend the Harden/Lin layup drill with that Dallas backcourt. Mavs fans should at least get a fun to watch, if somewhat dysfunctional, offensive team though.

giri

And then they put Stephen Curry #6 based off of his offensive production alone. Super weird list.

You're right, it's weird. Marc should realistically be a top 5 guy.

thekad

Banned
I'd probably go something like

Lebron
Durant
CP3
Harden
Dwight
Curry
Dirk
Wade
Love
Gasol

in that order.

Westbrook as the 4th best player in the league is hilarious.

giri

I'd probably go something like

Lebron
Durant
CP3
Harden
Dwight
Curry
Dirk
Wade
Love
Gasol

in that order.

Westbrook as the 4th best player in the league is hilarious.

Dwight is quite seriously, not the best C in the west.

The only 2 players you can make legitimate arguments for picking over marc are LBJ and Durant. Other than those 2, you pretty much always have to pick the Best C in the league, which he realistically is. Particularly when they're 2 way players.

There's only 2 other C's in the same league as Marc at the moment, Bosh (who i still think of more as a PF) and Hibbert. And hibbert just isn't quite as good. Duncan obviously enters the picture here, but age, and him reverting back to the 4 last year... And people are going to bring up dwights past. But it's just that, his past. He never really looked the same last year at any point.

And i don't think you take wade or love over tony parker.

We can agree though, YNB isn't the 4th best pg/sg, let alone player.

I would probably go:

1. LeBron
2. Durant
3. CP3
4. Gasol
5. Westbrook
6. Dwight
7. Rose
8. Curry
9. Harden

With Bosh/George/Duncan/Davis/Wade/Parker/Dirk/Deron/LMA at 10 depending on their decline/progression due to age/injuries or what game I'm watching.

Josh Smith's "Fuck efficiency" campaign of the last couple years keeps me from loving his probable impact for next year :(

I don't think ESPN's top 20 has had that many horrible picks other than Irving being so high though. Some of the picks outside of that top 20 range on the other hand...

Now that the whole gov't fiasco is over with, I can finally get ready for the NBA season and embrace a season where I'm okay with the Lakers piling up losses.

pilonv1

Wright hurt his often injured shoulder again too.

Also Brett Brown sez Nerlens Noel may not play this season, stay free Knux

thekad

Banned
I would probably go:

1. LeBron
2. Durant
3. CP3
4. Gasol
5. Westbrook
6. Dwight
7. Rose
8. Curry
9. Harden

Rose that high? Considering even during the lockout season he was mostly out with injuries, he hasn't really played in two full seasons now and his MVP season wasn't even as good as Harden or Curry's seasons last year. And your love for Westbrook is weird.

Dwight is quite seriously, not the best C in the west.

Dwight was obviously hurt and still had as good a season as Gasol. It's not his fault Kobe and D'Antoni sabotaged the defense. There's not any reason to think Dwight will be worse than last year.

I feel like there's a bit of a drop off after Dwight (#5) where everyone down to like #15 is pretty much at the same level with guys like Dirk and Curry possibly able to vault themselves into the Not-Lebron tier. Actually, Durant and CP3 are probably in their own level too if Dwight doesn't improve into his Orlando self.

Rose that high? Considering even during the lockout season he was mostly out with injuries, he hasn't really played in two full seasons now and his MVP season wasn't even as good as Harden or Curry's seasons last year. And your love for Westbrook is weird.

Ehh, I change my opinion on Rose and Westbrook a lot, but while both were less efficient than Harden and are coming off injuries, both guys are okay defensively (Westbrook less so, but his activity usually makes up for his bad judgment) whereas Harden has been horrible on defense. Curry might actually be better than Rose and Westbrook, but his defensive on/off makes me wonder if he was actually an okay defender last year or if I just thought he was.

Westbrook has been productive in every area on decent efficiency while previously never getting hurt, but maybe that will change with these knee issues.

I would like Davis, Duncan, Wade, and Dirk over all of those guys if Davis reaches his potential this year while Duncan, Wade, and Dirk stay healthy and don't decline due to age, but those are major questions.

Nerlens Noel to be out for the entire season. ESPN just tweeted it

It's smart that they would keep him safe.

But knuxs (rip) grave is just being pissed on

I think this is a smart move by Philly. They're tanking, why play a big man who had an ACL tear this year? it takes 12-18 months for a real full recovery. Let it happen, don't risk him, let the losses pile up.

Noel is the only exciting and interesting player on the 76ers and needs defensive reps more than anything else, this is kind of dumb other than giving him a shot at ROY next year and possibly getting his weight up.

reilo

I think this is a smart move by Philly. They're tanking, why play a big man who had an ACL tear this year? it takes 12-18 months for a real full recovery. Let it happen, don't risk him, let the losses pile up.

His injury was 8 months ago, no?

zychi

Banned
I can't stand ESPN, but you guys should all watch the Simmons and Jalen previews that are talked about earlier in this thread. Shit's entertaining.

His injury was 8 months ago, no?

I read he had surgery in March. So 12 months is next March, or near the end of the season. Sure, he could come back in 9 months because it's been done (see Adrian Peterson), but what do the Sixers have to gain from that kind of risk?

Hell, Rose didn't come back.

Breakdown of ESPN headlines.

Today: "Nerlens Noel to miss season."
Next week: "Rajon Rondo being held out for entire season"
Two weeks from now: "Jeff Green to miss entire season with mysterious hangnail injury"
Two months from now: "Is Andrew Wiggins the most overhyped prospect of all time?"
Two months and one day from now: "Front office people in Philly and Boston fearing for their lives."
April: "Lakers claim best odds for lottery with a 12-70 record despite Kobe's 18 PPG on 34% shooting"

Breakdown of ESPN headlines.

Today: "Nerlens Noel to miss season."
Next week: "Rajon Rondo being held out for entire season"
Two weeks from now: "Jeff Green to miss entire season with mysterious hangnail injury"
Two months from now: "Is Andrew Wiggins the most overhyped prospect of all time?"
Two months and one day from now: "Front office people in Philly and Boston fearing for their lives."
April: "Lakers claim best odds for lottery with a 12-70 record despite Kobe's 18 PPG on 34% shooting"

I missed the Gordon Heyward not living up to his max contract headline, in there.

Rox fans, do you care that Harden doesn't have a mid range game?

I mean, it's the biggest criticism of his offensive game but is it really that bad when he virtually only takes the two most efficient shots in basketball? He only drives to the rim or shoots the three and is probably the best in the league at drawing free throws. I'd like to see him add some more moves and stuff but Is it much of a concern?

His defense is what needs improvement over anything

Top Bottom