• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-2014 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT|

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Awful FT shooting and mediocre Hood performance = loss in November to Kansas. Not thrilled about it, but not the end of the world.

Nesotenso

good to get at least one win in the first three years. Jayhawks have a lot of work to do still.
Jabari Parker is the real deal.

Not the end of the world, but damn if this game didn't show us that Duke has real issues that they need to work on. Defense is 2011-2012 tier and no one could hit a free throw to save their life.

Jabari was cookin tho. Shout out to Perry Ellis too. I know the dude has to be 46 years old, but he was still ballin

CronoShot

Good game by my Jayhawks. Hard to know how a young team is going to play in such a big game. Good to see Wiggins showing his potential.

Also, Parker is for real. He got anything he wanted.

Fjordson

Nice pair of games. All four teams look good, though I worry about UK's turnovers and FT shooting. Hopefully we can improve that quickly.

iamblades

Nice pair of games. All four teams look good, though I worry about UK's turnovers and FT shooting. Hopefully we can improve that quickly.

I'm less worried about the turnovers, more worried about the FT shooting. That was most of those players first time ever seeing a real D1 quality defense, the sloppiness was mostly to be expected.

This team will win a lot of games either way, because they should outrebound every team they play, but to win close games in march you need to hit your FTs.

Fjordson

I'm less worried about the turnovers, more worried about the FT shooting. That was most of those players first time ever seeing a real D1 quality defense, the sloppiness was mostly to be expected.

This team will win a lot of games either way, because they should outrebound every team they play, but to win close games in march you need to hit your FTs.
Yeah, definitely.

I liked what I saw out of Poythress. Dude battled like a mother fucker in the paint tonight. 12 boards against a tough MSU team was huge. Would like him to take some more of those open jumpers, but still a good game.

I think once Andrew Harrison comes along we'll be truly great. He has all the physical tools and was far and away the best PG prospect in this class. Just needs a few more games under his belt probably.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Good game by KU and Perry Ellis. I knew size would be an issue for Duke but I wasn't anticipating FT shooting. It does seem to get worse every year.

On the plus side, the rub against Duke was they always peaked too early and when everyone else caught up in March, they no longer had an advantage. Doesn't look like the case here.

Good game by KU and Perry Ellis. I knew size would be an issue for Duke but I wasn't anticipating FT shooting. It does seem to get worse every year.

On the plus side, the rub against Duke was they always peaked too early and when everyone else caught up in March, they no longer had an advantage. Doesn't look like the case here.

Peaked game 1.

iamblades

The funny thing is that UK's adjusted offensive efficiency actually went up after playing like shit vs. MSU.

Shooting 45% and getting 18 offensive rebounds against the number 1(previously) defense in the nation apparently outweighs a shit ton of turnovers.

Adjusted defense dropped like a fucking rock though. As would expect letting a team shoot 47.5/41.7/76.5

Just another sign that the loss, while shitty, is just another step in the development of this team.

Coach

Morning thoughts from UK-MSU

- I thought going in that UK would lose, but what really upset me was the lack of effort in transition defense. It was horrible last night. Too many guys standing around on turnovers or not getting back after baskets.

- Free throws... COME ON MAN!

- Julius Randle is a beast. Needs to expand that low post game - MSU was ready for his spin move. Still though 3 straight double-doubles and averaging 24 pts and 14 rebounds.

- After this game I am starting to wonder if Alex Poythress needs to start. He seems to finally get it and has been great off the bench. He spreads the floor more and would draw the other teams 4 away from the basket.

Cauley-Stein on the other hand seems to have basketball ADD at times. Just has moments where he wonders around the court. He also clogs up the middle and brings a closer defender to Randle.

- The Harrison twins need an attitude adjustment. Too much whining for me - which they were doing it a lot instead of getting back on defense.

- Still a young team battled back and made it a game. It is a learning moment and Cal now has their attention. This team will be a lot better in March and that should scare the hell out of the rest of college basketball.

- *Checks UK schedule* Next up Robert Morris... HA HA HA HA! I feel sorry for their souls.

iamblades

Morning thoughts from UK-MSU

- I thought going in that UK would lose, but what really upset me was the lack of effort in transition defense. It was horrible last night. Too many guys standing around on turnovers or not getting back after baskets.

- Free throws... COME ON MAN!

- Julius Randle is a beast. Needs to expand that low post game - MSU was ready for his spin move. Still though 3 straight double-doubles and averaging 24 pts and 14 rebounds.

- After this game I am starting to wonder if Alex Poythress needs to start. He seems to finally get it and has been great off the bench. He spreads the floor more and would draw the other teams 4 away from the basket.

Cauley-Stein on the other hand seems to have basketball ADD at times. Just has moments where he wonders around the court. He also clogs up the middle and brings a closer defender to Randle.

- The Harrison twins need an attitude adjustment. Too much whining for me - which they were doing it a lot instead of getting back on defense.

- Still a young team battled back and made it a game. It is a learning moment and Cal now has their attention. This team will be a lot better in March and that should scare the hell out of the rest of college basketball.

- *Checks UK schedule* Next up Robert Morris... HA HA HA HA! I feel sorry for their souls.

I said before the season started that I think the best lineup for us would be Andrew, Young, Poythress, Randle and go offense for defense/matchup by matchup at the 5. That's a bigger team than basically every NBA team.

But Poythress may just be one of those guys that are more comfortable coming off the bench.

The 2016 ACC Tournament will be held in DC (Verizon Center) instead of the much rumored MSG.

I, for one, am okay with Swofford trolling the Turtles like that.

Pollux

Finally unbanned and can participate in this thread.

At work, so I can't really talk as much as I would like about the MSU game. But I can't even be mad about that. We played like freshman in the first half, as expected, but then we managed to pull it together and tie the game with a few minutes to go. In the end it came down to experience, but based on what I saw this team is going to be fine by the time the NCAA tournament comes around.

Randle is an absolute monster. After he stopped doing that stupid spin move that caused a few turnovers in the first half he was absolutely on fire.

Young seems to be the only person on this team that can shoot. I know there are plenty of others but they really weren't showing up on Tuesday.

The Harrisons seemed to crack under the pressure. They'll pull it together and be phenomenal in the next couple of weeks.

Poythress played his ass off and it was nice to see some hustle from him. Hopefully that continues through the season and sets the tone for the freshman.

Favorite quote from the loss ... "UK probably overlooked Michigan State since they were so focussed on Robert Morris on the 17th".

Next up, revenge for that embarrassing end the 2012-2013 season.

It's good to have basketball back.

Tomorrow gonna be kray.

I'll prob be here to discuss the Cliff decision good or bad since no matter his choice all worthwhile Illini forums will crash.

Tomorrow gonna be kray.

I'll prob be here to discuss the Cliff decision good or bad since no matter his choice all worthwhile Illini forums will crash.

Tyus
Jah
Cliff
Stanley

All deciding tomorrow. I expect Justise will soon decide too.

Bout to be a lot of happy people
in Lawrence and Champaign and Tuscon
and upset people
in Durham

Fjordson

Losing Stanley Johnson to Arizona sucks big time. We'll probably lose Zimmerman to Arizona next year as well. Miller is owning Calipari on the west coast =[

Anyways, predictions: Tyus and Okafor to Duke, Cliff Alexander to Illinois, and Stanley Johnson to Arizona.

Tomorrow gonna be kray.

Well, rumor has it that Quentin Snider is changing his mind at the last second and going to Louisville. And Cliff is probably going to KU. So basically things are going to be crazy, but not in a good way!

Well, rumor has it that Quentin Snider is changing his mind at the last second and going to Louisville. And Cliff is probably going to KU. So basically things are going to be crazy, but not in a good way!

Evan Daniels @EvanDanielsFOX
BREAKING: Quentin Snider has decommitted from Illinois and signed with Louisville, according to a source.

It begins.

And I'm changing my projections:

Big Smiles in Lawrence
Smiles in Tuscon
Smiles in Louisville
Sad Face in Lexington
Super Sad Face in Durham

Super Super Super Sad Face in Champaign

So Snider pulled an Eric Gordon. Nice. We haven't had one if those since, well... Eric Gordon.

If we had Bubbles Bruce still coaching us I would be shitting bricks right now. I'm not worried. Groce is the truth and we are in great shape for future.

Apparently he notified Groce and staff 20 mins after signing his LOI to Louisville. Classy. Belongs right with Pitino.

So Snider pulled an Eric Gordon. Nice. We haven't had one if those since, well... Eric Gordon.

If we had Bubbles Bruce still coaching us I would be shitting bricks right now. I'm not worried. Groce is the truth and we are in great shape for future.

Apparently he notified Groce and staff 20 mins after signing his LOI to Louisville. Classy. Belongs right with Pitino.
To be totally honest, I don't understand the hate. I understand that 40 year old dudes on the internet see "commitment" and get pissed when a 17 year old doesn't honor it, but that's because they're out of touch with their high school years. Kids will be kids. In Snider's case we were always his second choice (Louisville was the first) based purely on the strength of Groce's personality, and he didn't seem to have prior knowledge that the UI basketball team even existed per his comments when he committed. :lol

So whatever. Groce is awesome, we'll be ok. Just means we won't be "back" as soon. Oh well!

Derek Piper @FeelDaPaign
BREAKING: Sources have told @247Sports that Cliff Alexander will choose Kansas this afternoon.

And here...

we...

go
And I'm changing my projections:

Big Smiles in Lawrence
Smiles in Tuscon
Smiles in Louisville
Sad Face in Lexington
Super Sad Face in Durham

Super Super Super Sad Face in Champaign
We're used to sadness!

I think that means JO is going to Duke, FWIW.

Adidas signage spotted in area where Cliff is set to sign. That's all the confirmation I need. Rough day for Illini fans. Hard reminder it's going to be an uphill battle to join the top programs.

Note for those unaware - Kansas is an Adidas school and Illinois a Nike one.

CronoShot

I can't see KU getting both Alexander and the package that is Okafor and Jones. That would just be nuts.

I say Alexander goes to KU, Okafor and Jones to Duke, and Johnson to Arizona.

Top Bottom