• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-2014 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT|

You know, if Cal landed these two dudes like he usually does, the internet would be claiming bloody murder.

I feel you Cats fans.

EDIT: Wow, Cliff did that? That is... something.

Damn Cliff, you didn't have to do em like that

821994679.gif

ibbrlNiMv1tY8y.gif

Worst day for an Illini hoops fan in a long time.

Nice to see Jay Williams call him out on the punk move. Groce definitely did not deserve that.

Only positive I can take from this is Groce will be on a mission now. Looking forward to seeing what he can do with the 2015 class, which is already off to a nice start with DJ Williams.

Jeremy Werner ‏@WernerESPNCU 5m
@joehoopsreport: Charles Matthews reached out to Illini staff today, showed them some love. Illini now focused on him, Brunson, Edwards

This makes me feel a little better. Only just a little...

I guess Snider ditching us will have us recruiting Brunson again, though I'm no convinced Groce really ever stopped.

Fjordson

You know, if Cal landed these two dudes like he usually does, the internet would be claiming bloody murder.

I feel you Cats fans.
I can see the articles now. "Another package deal for Kentucky and another #1 recruting class for John Calipari. We run down our top 10 reasons why Kentucky is ruining college basketball:"

I'm cool with Duke getting them, though, I got no hate for Coach K. He's won titles with mediocre talent, could have a scary team next year with one and done talent (Justise Winslow will probably come to Duke also).

DominoKid

Why don't these guys ever play at their local school anymore?

Why play for a local school when you could play for an elite one.

If I was an elite player I wouldnt even give Wake Forest the time of day and I basically grew up on their campus.

Hell, I love UNC but I'd give Kentucky and UCLA a real shot.

This isn't Hoosiers anymore.

These guys are looking one step ahead (or they've got people in their ear looking one step ahead) and they're going to the place that they think will make them most NBA ready/marketable to NBA teams.

That's part of the reason that Duke has had such trouble securing big men (outside of the Plumlee pipeline) recently. There was the perception that all Duke bigs do is set screens and you could never:

A) Look good to scouts

B) Develop your post skill set

under Coach K.

If the choice is UNC, Duke, KU, or Calipari, vs local school, the local school loses. That's it. Doesn't make sense to give up top billing -- if you're already NBA ready, the goal is publicity, and publicity means playing (and showing off your talent) in late March and early April. Why give up the guarantee?

Anyway, smh at the disrespect Cliff showed with the hat. But on the other hand, the people who are most effected by that deserve to be trolled... But on the other other hand, thatsmyschoolman.gif

So basically I hope he Kevin Wares his leg in his first college game.

Now that I'm over Cliff the fallout from this is HUGELY entertaining.

Apparently one of Cliff's parents called UI staff to inform them they were commiting to UI 5 mins before the show.

Now that I'm over Cliff the fallout from this is HUGELY entertaining.

Apparently one of Cliff's parents called UI staff to inform them they were commiting to UI 5 mins before the show.

I refuse to believe that. If that happened, and dude didn't literally have a change of heart at the exact moment he reached for the hat, the parent is definitely tonight's worst sports person in the world.

If the choice is UNC, Duke, KU, or Calipari, vs local school, the local school loses. That's it. Doesn't make sense to give up top billing -- if you're already NBA ready, the goal is publicity, and publicity means playing (and showing off your talent) in late March and early April. Why give up the guarantee?

There's also something to be said for going to a place where your talents can be best developed. Bill Self has done a remarkable job developing big men. I understand why Cliff would be interested in coming to KU. Self turned Jeff Withey into an NBA player, for God's sake!

There's also something to be said for going to a place where your talents can be best developed. Bill Self has done a remarkable job developing big men. I understand why Cliff would be interested in coming to KU. Self turned Jeff Withey into an NBA player, for God's sake!
Don't have to sell me on Self, he's an awesome coach. But guys like CA and JO would tear it up wherever they went, whoever was coaching.

Look at Jabari or Wiggins. How much do their games need to "develop" at the college level?

Don't have to sell me on Self, he's an awesome coach. But guys like CA and JO would tear it up wherever they went, whoever was coaching.

Look at Jabari or Wiggins. How much do their games need to "develop" at the college level?

Oh yeah, I agree, neither of them need much development at the college level. And I don't know that Self's gonna help Wiggins a ton anyway. But with Cliff, there's the potential to possibly turn him into the top pick in the 2015 draft (Anthony Bennett proves this is possible).

Fjordson

Cliff will need to avoid the tweener thing if he's going to make it in the NBA. Develop a midrange game and his handles. He plays the power forward, but is only 6-8.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Why play for a local school when you could play for an elite one.

If I was an elite player I wouldnt even give Wake Forest the time of day and I basically grew up on their campus.

Hell, I love UNC but I'd give Kentucky and UCLA a real shot.

Domino, I'd go to UNC way before I went to UCLA, besides UNC is still a national power. UCLA has done the least with most for years

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

Defense. You want to know where Kyrie Irving hurt his development during college? No defense, he has no clue how to play it. K is usually a pretty good defensive coach, and if he could have improved Uncle Drew's ability to communicate and rotate, he'd be a litt le better than now.

Speaking of Duke, tonight's game against Florida Atlantic is the only one on the schedule not on television anywhere. It will be streamed on ESPN3, if you have access to it, at 7 EST.

Defense. You want to know where Kyrie Irving hurt his development during college? No defense, he has no clue how to play it. K is usually a pretty good defensive coach, and if he could have improved Uncle Drew's ability to communicate and rotate, he'd be a litt le better than now.

Eh, I don't see Nolan Smith being that good of a defender.

Smitty pls. ;_;

Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley 5m
#Duke starters: Quinn Cook, Rasheed Sulaimon, Rodney Hood, Jabari Parker, Amile Jefferson

See, I didn't say anything, but I was thinking to myself that Sulaimon would be back in the starting lineup as soon as Tyus Jones committed, one way or the other. I know Sulaimon has been playing well, so it could certainly be a product of his hard work, but the timing of it is funny if only because of perhaps my cynicism.

More top talent should go to Wisconsin then!

Defense == effort. The fundamentals are simple, and taught by every competent coaching staff, college and pro.

Fjordson

Hmm, on ESPN's signing day special today they had Calipari on there talking about the four kids who signed yesterday. But he also mentioned that he's confident UK will add a certain two more in the Spring.

I can't think of who it would be. The only two unsigned players with UK offers still are Justise Winslow and Myles Turner and I can't imagine we have a great shot at either of them.

There's been some rumors of Malik Newman and/or Charles Matthews reclassifying and we're the favorites for both of them. Maybe one of them will switch to 2014? Will be interesting to see what happens.

Edit: not Malik Newman sorry, a small forward named Montaque Gill-Caesar. Ranked 19th on ESPN in the 2015 class.

Doing a code deployment now, so I can't pay as much attention to the game, but I know Dawkins hit 2 more 3s. It's good that he's getting playing time and is taking and making shots.

Top Bottom