• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-2014 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT|

Broank

Not having Burke and Hardaway in a tough road environment definitely hurt us when it got to crunch time, ended on a 10-23 run. Couldn't hit anything
officiating throughout the game also didn't help

Lavert, Walton and the other freshmen looked lost but they will improve and McGary will get back in shape. Robinson definitely needs to step up though. He's looked bad this year and Ejim took him to school.

I know I've complained about the B1G network's "student U" broadcasts before, but mother of god. These guys may not have watched a basketball game in their lives. Why are they announcing a game?

At least Illinois is clowning Bradley -- not that that even feels all that great, considering their city just got wrecked by a tornado...

And down goes Maryland.

ACC took some hits today.

Good thing Duke gets to save us with consecutive blowouts against UNCA and ECU or Norfolk State in the next two days.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I know I've complained about the B1G network's "student U" broadcasts before, but mother of god. These guys may not have watched a basketball game in their lives. Why are they announcing a game?

Michigan's have gradually gotten better. When they first started a few years ago the announcers were terrible and the poor sideline girl couldn't even get a sentence out. This year they were actually pretty good and they were the first student team to do a game on BTN proper.

Fjordson

Solid win by UK. Harrisons shot the ball well, with Aaron going 10 for 10 at the line, so that was good. Also rebounded really well.

I still think our perimeter and transition defense needs work and I wish Andrew would be more aggressive on offense, but solid overall.

DominoKid

After the game, Williams took the blame for the loss. It was in part due to the fact that he admitted he hadn't drilled his team enough on end-of-game situations like the one it botched Sunday.

"We really haven't practiced them," Brice Johnson said. "With the veteran guys on the court, I think we would know some things. But we just froze up in the moment in the end."

it showed.

jakncoke

Banned
Tired of the Jack Taylor espn lovefest. His stats dont impress me. Take anyone thats decent and have their coach let them shoot the volume he is allowed and they will score alot. The kid is on kid once again for scoring over 100 again, he scored 71 last. This article says he shot 48 3's and 70 overall shots. Give that to anyone decent and they are going to score a lot of points

Karl2177

Tired of the Jack Taylor espn lovefest. His stats dont impress me. Take anyone thats decent and have their coach let them shoot the volume he is allowed and they will score alot. The kid is on kid once again for scoring over 100 again, he scored 71 last. This article says he shot 48 3's and 70 overall shots. Give that to anyone decent and they are going to score a lot of points
Salty.

The kid's pretty cool.

Bowser

Had to watch the waning minutes on the WatchESPN app from the airport lounge yesterday. Fucking horrendous coaching by Roy.

God we're going to suck dick this year.

Turner will produce team-specific broadcasts for the three Final Four games

In an unprecedented move, Turner Sports and CBS will produce three different telecasts for each of the two national semifinal games, each with its own set of announcers. The traditional national telecast will run on TBS, while TNT and truTV will carry the same games at the same time with announcers and camera angles customized to each specific team.

TNT and truTV also will produce different halftime shows that will be focused on the different teams in the Final Four. Pre- and postgame shows will be simulcast across all three channels.

Let’s say the country’s top two teams last week — Kentucky and Michigan State — meet in one semifinal. TNT would use announcers with connections to Kentucky during its telecast, while truTV would use a Michigan State-focused crew for its production. Turner officials have not decided what types of talent they will pursue and maintain that all options for using unique personalities are on the table.

inb4 "They'll just send ESPN/Dickie V to do Duke broadcasts herp derp"

Can someone explain to me why the ISU crowd started the overrated chant when they were leading by just 1 point with 5+minutes to go?
They might not have been chanting "overrated." What I read today in the paper made it seem like they were chanting "Fuck McGary." I guess in the post game press conference McGary even made note of hearing his name from the crowd quite loud and quite often. And I'm trying to recall, but my memory is correct, the point in the game to which you're referring was when McGary was stepping up to the free throw line, so that might lend a little more credence to the "Fuck McGary" claim. Like you said, it seemed way too early to start with the overrated chant (if there ever is a good time to do it).

Pretty immature either way, of course.

iamblades

Turner will produce team-specific broadcasts for the three Final Four games

inb4 "They'll just send ESPN/Dickie V to do Duke broadcasts herp derp"

I don't care about announcers with ties to the school(Jimmy Dykes is like the only media member who has any ties to UK that I know of), I'm just tired of hacks like Digger Phelps, Dan Dakich and Bob Knight calling UK games because ESPN loves to create controversy.

Give me Jay Bilas every single time, don't even care that he's a dukie. When the tournament comes around, I want Barkley. If Charles Barkley and Jay Bilas could cast every college basketball game ever, I would be in heaven. :p

Fjordson

I don't care about announcers with ties to the school(Jimmy Dykes is like the only media member who has any ties to UK that I know of), I'm just tired of hacks like Digger Phelps, Dan Dakich and Bob Knight calling UK games because ESPN loves to create controversy.

Give me Jay Bilas every single time, don't even care that he's a dukie. When the tournament comes around, I want Barkley. If Charles Barkley and Jay Bilas could cast every college basketball game ever, I would be in heaven. :p
Agreed.

Dakich and Knight are pure garbage. Don't really dislike anyone else on ESPN. They're all fine (with Bilas being legit good).

bachikarn

wtf, our starting PG just sprained his ankle. Injuries plaguing our bball team too it seems.

Apparently out for at least a month. Guess there is no chance we beat Kansas now.

Fjordson

wtf, our starting PG just sprained his ankle. Injuries plaguing our bball team too it seems.

Apparently out for at least a month. Guess there is no chance we beat Kansas now.
Kasey Hill? Wow. Injuries, suspensions and Chris Walker's academic issues are all piling up for Florida.

Hopefully it will all come together in the second half of the season. You guys are easily a top 10 team at full strength I think.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Agreed.

Dakich and Knight are pure garbage. Don't really dislike anyone else on ESPN. They're all fine (with Bilas being legit good).

I don't mind Dakich or Knight but they seldom call our games. Bilas is alright but he cannot call a Duke game without having to qualify something they did well with something they don't do well. Len Elmore hates Duke's guts and Mike Patrick, being the alcoholic toadie he is just takes on the biases of his colorman. Since ESPN loves pushing the narrative of Duke as the villain and they get all the calls, those two constantly hard on any foul that gets called against Duke's opponent, and any time they think one should have been called. It gets really tiresome. I used to hate Jimmy Dykes when Tyler Hansbrough was at UNC because he was always going on and on and on about him, making him the the Tim Tebow of college basketball, only with less Jesus and more stupid.

The Kevin Ware story has been entertaining.

For anyone not paying attention:

- Pulled over for speeding (while driving through the county in Kentucky where I grew up)
- Doesn't show up for his court date
- Seems to have pretended it never happened, as Pitino (and his own mother) didn't know about it until this morning

Pretty boring story to be honest. But because Ware didn't just deal with it the Courier Journal and others are digging around. The owner of the 2013 Charger he was driving is a UofL grad student who is a co-owner of some event promotions company and his co-owner owns another group that lists UofL as a client. Photos of him with former players, at the Sugar Bowl and other stuff.

Now the dude looks to be scrubbing all evidence that he's anything more than a UofL student and personal friend of Ware from his profiles, which makes everything seem fishy and is only going to get more journalists on it chasing a story.

Interesting how much this parallels the UNC stuff. These scumbag promoter types are everywhere—the not-even-trying-to-hide-it underbelly of the sport. I know we have them in Lexington just from seeing how players handle publicity tours after graduation.

iamblades

The Kevin Ware story has been entertaining.

For anyone not paying attention:

- Pulled over for speeding (while driving through the county in Kentucky where I grew up)
- Doesn't show up for his court date
- Seems to have pretended it never happened, as Pitino (and his own mother) didn't know about it until this morning

Pretty boring story to be honest. But because Ware didn't just deal with it the Courier Journal and others are digging around. The owner of the 2013 Charger he was driving is a UofL grad student who is a co-owner of some event promotions company and his co-owner owns another group that lists UofL as a client. Photos of him with former players, at the Sugar Bowl and other stuff.

Now the dude looks to be scrubbing all evidence that he's anything more than a UofL student and personal friend of Ware from his profiles, which makes everything seem fishy and is only going to get more journalists on it chasing a story.

Interesting how much this parallels the UNC stuff. These scumbag promoter types are everywhere—the not-even-trying-to-hide-it underbelly of the sport. I know we have them in Lexington just from seeing how players handle publicity tours after graduation.

Luckily we have a compliance department that keeps track of every single car that's parked at the athlete dorms to avoid just this kind of thing.

These kind of jocksniffing douchebags do exist on every campus, but the athletic department should be aware of it and keep control of the situation. Especially if you are UNC and you are already on probation and just managed to sneak yourselves out of accountability for one of the largest systems of academic fraud in NCAA history. At a time like that you might just want to take shit like that seriously, but instead Roy punished PJ by 'making him run'.

Kevin Ware is not really important to UL's success as a team this year, so it doesn't really matter basketball wise for them at least. It certainly doesn't look good though. Does make those silly 'special violations unit' law and order spoofs they play at the games seem kinda funny. :p

Fjordson

Interesting sign spotted at Monday Night Raw...

BZZvONRCYAA7rrj.jpg

Not quite sure what that means :lol

Luckily we have a compliance department that keeps track of every single car that's parked at the athlete dorms to avoid just this kind of thing.

These kind of jocksniffing douchebags do exist on every campus, but the athletic department should be aware of it and keep control of the situation. Especially if you are UNC and you are already on probation and just managed to sneak yourselves out of accountability for one of the largest systems of academic fraud in NCAA history. At a time like that you might just want to take shit like that seriously, but instead Roy punished PJ by 'making him run'.

Kevin Ware is not really important to UL's success as a team this year, so it doesn't really matter basketball wise for them at least. It certainly doesn't look good though. Does make those silly 'special violations unit' law and order spoofs they play at the games seem kinda funny. :p

The Behanan story coming later today could blow this up.

I say this not just as a fan of Duke but as a fan of college basketball.

This Duke offense is going to be stupid good. I don't think they'll win it all because their lack of interior defense and rebounding will kill them, but that offense tho.

mike-woodson-praise.gif

Silkworm

Yeah that sucked, but at least X-rays showed today he didn't break any bones. Will be up to MRI results to see if he got any ligament damage, but I'm hopeful it's "just" a high ankle sprain that he'll recover from by January. Guess point guard by committee until Wilbekin works his way off his suspension. Hopefully Walker, Frazier, and Finney-Smith can hold down things until then. Probably aren't beating UConn, Kansas, and Memphis with this current line up (great timing *urg!*) but at least it's all happening now and not in March. *sigh* Hopefully the team will beat FSU next Friday, as FSU hasn't shown itself to be a powerhouse so far, and I'd like to see at least a split for UF vs. FSU since I'm not anticipating a win for UF against FSU in football :-\

Silkworm

UK looking a bit assy against Texas-Arlington.

Seems like Kansas is too against Iona. Should be interesting to see if Kansas puts some distance between itself and Iona in the last 5 min of the 1st half. I'm guessing they will.

edit:

And down goes Maryland.

ACC took some hits today.

Good thing Duke gets to save us with consecutive blowouts against UNCA and ECU or Norfolk State in the next two days.

Pirates had a little more moxie in them and only lost by 9 points to Duke. Still Duke won so it's nothing unexpected in the end I suppose.

Silkworm

Kansas looks like crap too. I think Wiggins has a whole 2 points in the first half.

Yeah, I was expecting them to build on their ~5 pt lead w/ 5 min to go, maybe push it to 10 pts at least but Iona is hanging in there only down by 5. Still, I'm willing to bet Kansas will pull away in the 2nd half.

Fjordson

UK looking a bit better. Still some terrible boxouts on the defensive end, should be dominating the boards with our height. But the offense is better. James Young shooting it well.

Marcus Smart looks fantastic.
Definitely. I switched over to that game since UK had went to half and saw him make two 3's in like 30 seconds, get a few steals, rebounds. Dude does it all.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
ECU laid the blue print on how to beat Duke, play zone. They look like they had never seen one before, despite having two guys (Parker and Hood) who should be able to break down a zone with ease. Meh, its November and Lebo is a solid coach who could win if he had actual talent

ECU laid the blue print on how to beat Duke, play zone. They look like they had never seen one before, despite having two guys (Parker and Hood) who should be able to break down a zone with ease. Meh, its November and Lebo is a solid coach who could win if he had actual talent

It's early days, but yeah that zone was apparently mystifying for Duke. Very few teams play it well though (I mean very few teams actually employ zone effectively).

Syracuse could be a doozy. Or Michigan in two weeks.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
It's early days, but yeah that zone was apparently mystifying for Duke. Very few teams play it well though (I mean very few teams actually employ zone effectively).

Syracuse could be a doozy. Or Michigan in two weeks.

Does Michigan still run the 1-3-1? It seemed like last year in the tourney they didn't.

Top Bottom