• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-2014 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT|

ECU laid the blue print on how to beat Duke, play zone. They look like they had never seen one before, despite having two guys (Parker and Hood) who should be able to break down a zone with ease. Meh, its November and Lebo is a solid coach who could win if he had actual talent

Just dropping in to concur with the assessment on the improvement of ECU basketball. I think they will be an ok addition to the American conference.

And the football game took precedence last night vs. Rutgers, but go Knights! Happy to see they took down Miami. Shows they have somewhat of a pulse after getting beat down by FSU.

Has Justise Winslow been playing in the USA basketball program? Jeff Goodman was saying on Kentucky Sports Radio this morning that Coach K has really made a killing through that on the recruiting trail with some of these kids (kinda like Cal getting Karl Towns on the Dominican team). Interesting point that I hadn't really thought of. I'm jealous to be honest :lol

Yeah, Winslow was involved in USA Basketball, but I think the impact is overblown. Maybe it influenced these guys, but Coach K has been involved in USA Basketball since 2005 as the head coach, and there have been a lot of lean recruiting years for Duke since then, at least as compared to the hauls other top schools have been making. He didn't get a one-and-done until Irving in the 2010 class (post USA basketball, Luol Deng and Corey Maggette predated this era), and this will be the first class with multiple potential one-and-done prospects.

Fjordson

Yeah, Winslow was involved in USA Basketball, but I think the impact is overblown. Maybe it influenced these guys, but Coach K has been involved in USA Basketball since 2005 as the head coach, and there have been a lot of lean recruiting years for Duke since then, at least as compared to the hauls other top schools have been making. He didn't get a one-and-done until Irving in the 2010 class (post USA basketball, Luol Deng and Corey Maggette predated this era), and this will be the first class with multiple potential one-and-done prospects.
Hmm, didn't know that, good point.

Also don't mean to suggest that K only got these guys because of USA basketball, I've always thought that he could get more one and done kids if he wanted to.

That said, this class looks great. I'm trying to remember who else came in with Redick and Sheldon Williams, but Duke went through a few classes separated by a couple of years that were really good (I'm obviously thinking Brand-Battier-Avery-Burgess, then Boozer-Dunleavy-Williams-some other guys who I've forgotten, and then Redick-Williams-more forgotten names), and this is easily the best class since those combos.

Hmm, didn't know that, good point.

Also don't mean to suggest that K only got these guys because of USA basketball, I've always thought that he could get more one and done kids if he wanted to.

Maybe. I know Duke has swung and missed on quite a few prospects over the past several years that Coach K did try to get but didn't. But oh well, that's life.

Silkworm

Why is Indiana unranked? After all their success last year and their 5-0 start this year I thought they would at least be top 25

They lost a lot of good players (Oladipo, Zeller, Watford, Creek, Hulls, among others), but they had a nice group to replace them. Still it's been a while since Indiana was relevant (last year being the big break out season so far under Crean; previous year was good but last year they were a national title contender) so I think that might have hampered things as far as how they were perceived going into this season. As long as they continue to win they'll get the ranking they deserve by earning it on the court.

They lost a lot of good players (Oladipo, Zeller, Watford, Creek, Hulls, among others), but they had a nice group to replace them. Still it's been a while since Indiana was relevant (last year being the big break out season so far under Crean; previous year was good but last year they were a national title contender) so I think that might have hampered things as far as how they were perceived going into this season. As long as they continue to win they'll get the ranking they deserve by earning it on the court.

Yeah I figured they lost a lot, but still....4/5 starters for Kentucky this year were Freshman and they started #1. Man Seton Hall is throwing this one away!

Silkworm

Yeah I figured they lost a lot, but still....4/5 starters for Kentucky this year were Freshman and they started #1. Man Seton Hall is throwing this one away!

This year's UK recruiting class >>>>>> IU's recruiting class. Heck UK's recruiting class >>> most college basketball teams this year ;-) If IU had won tonight they'd be up there, but UConn just edged them with the win. Oh well, Hoosiers get a crack at Syracuse on Dec 3rd which will give them another opportunity to show where they stand this season.

UNC manages to win in basketball and football today after being down to underdogs in both sports early. Crisis averted in Chapel Hill

(Louisville's still going to give em that work tomorrow)

Heels embarrassing the Cards out there. Gonna be a tough December for the Cats having to play these teams 2 weeks after one another.

DominoKid

that's my point guard
iUQpZEP83Xdzi.png

edit: meeks outlet passes are incredible.

Fjordson

It's weird to say since Dieng was known for his defense, but I think Louisville actually misses his offense the most. Especially his reliable midrange jumper. Harrell has a lot of potential and is super athletic, but by himself he creates zero offense. And the big white guy creates even less. Seems like they have nothing from their big guys this year. It's mostly Russ Smith and Chris Jones.

UNC on the other hand looked better than expected. Paige is clearly improved and Brice Johnson is a nice player.

Though McAdoo is just trash. Not sure what Roy did to him, but wow. A shame about Kennedy Meeks being out of shape, 'cause he looked surprisingly good on the block.

Edit: Meeks had 13 points, 12 boards and. 7 assists. Wow! If he can improve his fitness level he could be great.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Roy didn't do anything to McAdoo. He just isn't as good as he was billed to be.

McAdoo needs to realize that he's most effective in the college game anyway has been in the paint. When he tries to play the 3 like he's an NBA guy, he sucks.

Congrats on the win BTW. Its too bad Natural no longer posts here.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Refs letting Charlotte get away with murder right now. That Clayton bitch has done nothing but throw smaller defenders out of his way so far then hits the ground after Morgan barely touches him and gets the call.

We need to drop one of these fuckers on their heads or put one of them 15 rows into the stands. They need to see a teammate laying there crying in pain.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
This is the worst I've ever seen a Michigan team shoot under John Beilein. Missing everything from all 3 levels. Just down two though.

Broank

That Clayton bitch has done nothing but throw smaller defenders out of his way so far then hits the ground after Morgan barely touches him and gets the call.

I just had to laugh at that. Dude is blatantly shoving everyone that gets near him and Morgan gets the foul for not even touching him. lol

But we need to make some freaking shots. Thank god for Stauskas, besides him we are shooting about 5% for a whole half including about 5 or 6 wide open layups.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'm glad I didn't see that Vermont only had one win until after the final buzzer.

The clock had the defensive play of the game.

Tom Brady put forth more effort to tackle that Bronco player running back that fumble than Duke did on defense. I don't wanna lose to Alabama in basketball. We won't get to play them when we have a good team.

Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley 4m
K: "You’re going to have questions, and you’re going to pick different parts of the game, and I’m going to just tell you we were awful.”

Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley 3m
More K: "And you’re going to say, 'What are we going to do to correct that?' and I’m going to say, 'We’re going to try not to be awful.'"

Good plan. Hope it works.

TDD is in full blown meltdown mode. Already making plans for next year.

It's early days of course, but the defense now looks worse than the 2011 defense at this point in the season.

Thank god they can score because that defense is atrocious. They can't rebound either, but we knew that would be the case going into the season with our frontcourt.

Top Bottom