• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-2014 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT|

It really just hit me. We just gave up 90 muthafuckin points to the Vermont Catamounts. 90 points.

Also if you haven't heard, Jabari Parker scored more than 20 points for the 6th straight game.

Bowser

McAdoo needs to realize that he's most effective in the college game anyway has been in the paint. When he tries to play the 3 like he's an NBA guy, he sucks.

Congrats on the win BTW. Its too bad Natural no longer posts here.

That's not Mac's fault though. The Heels best line up, without PJ and McDonald, is Britt/Paige/McAdoo/Johnson/Meeks. McAdoo has to play the 3 by default. If we had PJ and Leslie, we'd obviously be playing Paige/McDonald/Hairston/McAdoo/Johnson or Meeks.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Good plan. Hope it works.

When he's that blunt, you know he's fucking pissed.

That's not Mac's fault though. The Heels best line up, without PJ and McDonald, is Britt/Paige/McAdoo/Johnson/Meeks. McAdoo has to play the 3 by default. If we had PJ and Leslie, we'd obviously be playing Paige/McDonald/Hairston/McAdoo/Johnson or Meeks.

Now that Britt is coming on for you, I understand that. Its just that McAdoo doesn't do what a typical 3 does well, namely jumpshots with consistency.

Bowser

When he's that blunt, you know he's fucking pissed.

Now that Britt is coming on for you, I understand that. Its just that McAdoo doesn't do what a typical 3 does well, namely jumpshots with consistency.

The problem is the only other option at the 3 is JP Tokoto, who also cannot hit jumpshots with consistency. At least Mac brings rebounding and occasional steals/breakaway dunks to the table.

61 total fouls in Georgetown v. VCU. wtf

I don't think the players will adjust to the one hand touch fouls like the league wants.

Jay Bilas ‏@JayBilas 29m
Just watched tape of every foul called in G'town-VCU game. Overwhelming majority were obvious fouls, had nothing to do with new emphasis.

Now Bilas is also probably the biggest proponent of the new rules changes, so I'm not sure what he considers an "obvious" foul.

Fjordson

So the team Kentucky plays tonight, Cleveland St., is where Anthony Davis was originally expected to go for college. When he was still 6-3 and wasn't being recruited by the big name programs.

AnthonyDavis1.jpg

Crazy what that one growth spurt did for him :lol

Another thing highlighted by last night's game:

Why isn't Marshall getting burn? I know he's well...limited, but he's the biggest thing on the court if you put him in. He can at least get rebounds and alter and/or block shots on D. On offense, you can at least throw him some lobs like Miles. And it's not like you're losing that much O by taking Hairston off the court in favor of Plumlee.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Cleveland St. up double digits on UK. We look embarrassingly bad.

You need team chemistry and consistency to play competent defense. Young teams like UK and Duke are going to struggle, not to mention they feature young offensive hotshots that couldn't care less about defense.

iamblades

You need team chemistry and consistency to play competent defense. Young teams like UK and Duke are going to struggle, not to mention they feature young offensive hotshots that couldn't care less about defense.

The defense isn't really the issue, though it should be better.

This team looks like if has never even seen a zone before. 2 of our wings look terrified of taking open shots, and the rest are shooting airballs on the first or second pass.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Win or lose, this is the second most ashamed I've been of a Kentucky team in my lifetime.

Cleveland State has been a proven tourney team though. I don't know if Vermont has been to the dance since Brennan reitred a few years ago.

Fjordson

UK escapes with a win by 7 over Cleveland State. Great to see a couple of powerhouses battle it out in a close game like that.

iamblades

Cal better make sure they don't take this as an example that they can come out lazy and give no effort for 35 minutes and expect to win. We also have to find a solution for the zone defense, because we are going to see it every single game.

I also want to know why this team always plays like shit after an extended break between games.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
These calls against Cleveland St are really bad. I'm not saying a "UK GETS ALL THE CALLS" conspiracy, just more how these new rules seem to have empowered the refs to be even more incompetent.

Silkworm

Sure is nice to have Wilbekin back playing on the UF basketball team. His presence showed in the game against Jacksonville tonight, as the offense was clicking (it was clicking in the previous 2nd half against MTSU but still this was a lot better). I feel better now about UF's upcoming tough stretch. Of course Devon Walker got injured in the 1st half of the game and was held out the rest of the game so that sucks but hopefully it wasn't too serious of an injury. :-\

Fjordson

Cal better make sure they don't take this as an example that they can come out lazy and give no effort for 35 minutes and expect to win. We also have to find a solution for the zone defense, because we are going to see it every single game.

I also want to know why this team always plays like shit after an extended break between games.
Yeah, is it just me or did our guards act like they had never seen a zone before?

I mean surely high school coaches were smart enough to play zone against these kids. The Harrison twins are 6-5, 215 pounds. I can't imagine that they weren't zoned countless times in AAU and high school.

iamblades

These calls against Cleveland St are really bad. I'm not saying a "UK GETS ALL THE CALLS" conspiracy, just more how these new rules seem to have empowered the refs to be even more incompetent.

It's a Doug Shows crew, of course the refs are going to be garbage. Like half the calls on Andrew Harrison were also garbage (especially that blocking call when he was in position seemingly before the offensive player ever caught the ball).

I also liked the shitty double tech call, because it just wouldn't be a Doug Shows officiated game unless he T's someone up.

Fjordson

It's a Doug Shows crew, of course the refs are going to be garbage. Like half the calls on Andrew Harrison were also garbage (especially that blocking call when he was in position seemingly before the offensive player ever caught the ball).

I also liked the shitty double tech call, because it just wouldn't be a Doug Shows officiated game unless he T's someone up.
That was Doug Shows? Lmfao. It all makes sense now.

devilhawk

So the Antlers (MU basketball fan group) has been kicked out the last two games, and the MU AD has released why:

http://i.minus.com/iglVXjCZTOl3o.png

It's a list of chants - pretty crude. It's MU though. Hell, they threw cotton balls on the lawn of their African American studies building so this can't be surprising.

Seth C

Any rules change in college basketball basically results in "fuck it, do whatever". It's ridiculous. I'd like to say the tournament is better but it isn't. There is absolutely no consistency in how games are called across the sport. It's infuriating.

devilhawk

Any rules change in college basketball basically results in "fuck it, do whatever". It's ridiculous. I'd like to say the tournament is better but it isn't. There is absolutely no consistency in how games are called across the sport. It's infuriating.
That's one thing that has been painfully obvious. For instance, the other day I was watching a MSU game against somebody that was going down to the wire, and I turned it on to see the refs call 3 or 4 jump balls and practically no fouls down the stretch. Put some of the refs that called the first few KU games in there and they would have called 3 fouls before the MSU ref could have put both thumbs up to call a jump ball.

What's worse is the national media guys then claiming that X team played without fouling so why can't others. Actually watching the games shows that some refs are calling the game like last year while others are following the new focus. The refs right now deviate way too much.

jakncoke

Banned
I guess there is a championship game after all in the Progressive Legends Classic. Still boggles my mind that Stanford has a regional game to be played on 12/1 . So 2 weeks after the tourney is done they play their final regional game. Makes absolutely no sense :me

I guess there is a championship game after all in the Progressive Legends Classic. Still boggles my mind that Stanford has a regional game to be played on 12/1 . So 2 weeks after the tourney is done they play their final regional game. Makes absolutely no sense :me

They should play the NCAA tournament in reverse.

Quick, which two teams for the championship? Then we'll work backwards.

Texas looking good against DePaul

DePaul has been the laughing stock of the Big East for about a decade, but it is good to know we can take care of business against teams we are better than. BYU is the only team we have played thus far that has more talent than us and we lost. The good news is that so far we haven't lost to teams we should have beaten. The first 3 games were scary, but the team pulled em out.

Top Bottom