• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-2014 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT|

lowballj

Neo Member
Nova!
\\//
VillanovaBenchGeorgetown.gif

iamblades

He doesn't even look like the best freshman on his own team....

it's early tho

I said before anyone committed that he would have the most trouble out of the top 3 recruits of having an immediate impact.

Athletic slashing wings who can't really shoot that well and aren't elite ball handlers do not have huge success in the NCAA unless they can force it through defense and motor, like MKG did in 2012.

Guys with more developed bodies(like Randle) and more developed skills(like Parker) have the advantage at this level. Because of how shitty the spacing is on most college teams (especially teams that run a lot of 2 big offense and high/low sets like Self's do), and how packed in the defenses can get with all the zone variants, being more athletic doesn't really give you the same kind of advantage that being bigger and more skilled does. This is even with the emphasis on the handcheck rule, which theoretically should help a player like Wiggins.

He might end up being the best pro if his skills keep developing and he fills out a bit, but he isn't going to be the best college player.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
If Wiggins shits the bed this year it'd certainly be a nice recruiting tool for other schools.

The media won't let that happen. Harrison Barnes made them look like stupid jackasses and they will do anything to make Wiggins look like a star. They've talked up his rather pedestrian performance tonight as well. I have nothing against Andrew Wiggins and I hope he becomes a fantastic player. The media can never admit they are wrong or they rushed to judgement, instead of taking a step back and seeing what happens. By March, he could be taking over games and schooling fools.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
lol at all of the Duke fans here in full meltdown/panic mode already. It's November, and I know we're a bit spoiled from several straight years of peaking this time of year, but we're going to be happy about it in March that we actually have room to grow at this point. There's so much time for this team to gel and improve. K will figure shit out, he's the best coach in college basketball.

I think at this point, more than anything, a lot of Duke fans' automatic extreme pessimism is just a defensive mechanism resulting from that 3-year stretch of mediocrity before our 2010 title, and probably the tournament underachieving JJ/Shelden teams. I guess it's hard to be hurt by Duke-hater insults when you're already cynical about the team, but it's time to move on guys ; )

Who has been the best in the NCAA this year so far, in your opinion?

It seems Wiggins is out. I'm hearing good good things about Parker.

lol at all of the Duke fans here in full meltdown/panic mode already. It's November, and I know we're a bit spoiled from several straight years of peaking this time of year, but we're going to be happy about it in March that we actually have room to grow at this point. There's so much time for this team to gel and improve. K will figure shit out, he's the best coach in college basketball.

I think at this point, more than anything, a lot of Duke fans' automatic extreme pessimism is just a defensive mechanism resulting from that 3-year stretch of mediocrity before our 2010 title, and probably the tournament underachieving JJ/Shelden teams. I guess it's hard to be hurt by Duke-hater insults when you're already cynical about the team, but it's time to move on guys ; )

I have no doubt they will get better. But they're going to have to get A LOT better to achieve what we thought they were capable of (what they were expected to be).

I don't mind losing. Losses to Kansas and Arizona are perfectly understandable out of context. Those are very good teams. It's the way they're playing that has me down. This is the worst defensive Duke team I've ever seen. They can't play defense at all and their offense to this point has been far too reliant on herculean efforts by Jabari and Hood.

I knew coming into this season that the learning curve for this team would be very different from the average Duke team, just based on how inexperienced the key players are, but I still expected them to look better than they have to this point.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Who has been the best in the NCAA this year so far, in your opinion?

It seems Wiggins is out. I'm hearing good good things about Parker.

McDermott, Parker, Randal and Smart are all pretty solid contenders.

iamblades

McDermott, Parker, Randal and Smart are all pretty solid contenders.

^^

Smart is probably the MVP in terms of what he means to the success of his team, Parker is the most skilled offensively, and Randle is the most physically dominant.

I imagine in the end it will come down to those three and it will be up to how much success their teams have and what the voters value most.

Kansas beat UTEP in the consolation game of the Battle 4 Atlantis tonight.

I didn't watch the game, but just looking over the box score, I'm assuming Drew Wiggins didn't look that hot.

Wiggins wants to be a one and done, and he can easily make his wish come true by declaring after the season, but his lackluster effort these past two games probably don't look favorable in the eyes of scouts. And Iowa is throwing this one away

Seth C

I'm pretty sure what Wiggins wants is maximum results for minimum effort. He wants to be one and done but didn't want the pressure, expectations, or competition for playing time. If he isn't in the top 3 of the next draft as Wilt fucking Chamberlain's heir then Bill Self is in trouble when he tries to recruit another prospect of that level. If he stays two years Self is screwed.

I'm pretty sure what Wiggins wants is maximum results for minimum effort. He wants to be one and done but didn't want the pressure, expectations, or competition for playing time. If he isn't in the top 3 of the next draft as Wilt fucking Chamberlain's heir then Bill Self is in trouble when he tries to recruit another prospect of that level. If he stays two years Self is screwed.

By June, Self will have had four guys taken in the top 7 in the last three years, six guys taken in the lottery in the last four years, and eight guys taken in the lottery in the last five and all of them will have seen their draft stock massively improve under Self other than Wiggins and maybe Henry. Is he really going to be hurt by Wiggins dropping to 4th? It's not like Self can give Wiggins the ball more either, Wiggins can't dribble.

I was under the impression preseason that wiggins was the best talent since Kevin Durant to play college ball. I'm not seeing that at all. And yes Kansas has a more complete team than Texas in 2006, but wiggins just blends in and he seems contempt with letting the other guys around him making plays.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I was under the impression preseason that wiggins was the best talent since Kevin Durant to play college ball. I'm not seeing that at all. And yes Kansas has a more complete team than Texas in 2006, but wiggins just blends in and he seems contempt with letting the other guys around him making plays.

I actually got to see that 2006 Texas team play out in Phoenix against the Zags and even though they got blown out by 30 it was still pretty clear that KD was the best player on the floor.

Seth C

By June, Self will have had four guys taken in the top 7 in the last three years, six guys taken in the lottery in the last four years, and eight guys taken in the lottery in the last five and all of them will have seen their draft stock massively improve under Self other than Wiggins and maybe Henry. Is he really going to be hurt by Wiggins dropping to 4th? It's not like Self can give Wiggins the ball more either, Wiggins can't dribble.

"Bill Self took the best high school prospect since Lebron James and coached him down to the fifth pick. If you're satisfied being a top ten guy, go to Kansas. If you want to be #1 though..."

"Bill Self took the best high school prospect since Lebron James and coached him down to the fifth pick. If you're satisfied being a top ten guy, go to Kansas. If you want to be #1 though..."

Roy Williams got Harrison Barnes and... you know, I don't think he's got a top flight guy since. You might have a point.

On the other hand, it seems scouts still have Wiggins #1, more often than not.

Don't forget Josh Selby.

And he'll probably be able to respond with "I took a guy who had only played basketball for two guys and made him into the #1 overall pick after a year in my program. If you're willing to work, you're going to see massive improvement." If this level of play from Kansas continues, all the disappointment of Wiggins' development will be overshadowed by the development of Embiid.

Don't forget Josh Selby.

Just referring to the guys that Self has sent to the lottery recently, but Selby was super disappointing and saw his stock get killed.

And he'll probably be able to respond with "I took a guy who had only played basketball for two guys and made him into the #1 overall pick after a year in my program. If you're willing to work, you're going to see massive improvement." If this level of play from Kansas continues, all the disappointment of Wiggins' development will be overshadowed by the development of Embiid.

Just referring to the guys that Self has sent to the lottery recently, but Selby was super disappointing and saw his stock get killed.

No, just referring to the fact that Selby tanked to the second round didn't hurt Self at all on the recruiting trails.

The fact that his players aren't particularly good is another matter altogether.

Barring injury or just an awful, awful season, Wiggins will go top 3 at worst.

Even if Parker and Randle are more NBA-ready at the moment, Wiggins' potential is off the charts.

DominoKid

I think Wiggins problem is between his ears. He has the skills but not the mindset to be a star. Somehow he needs to find his inner dog.

Barnes problems were skill related because he damn sure tried to be a star.

Fjordson

To be fair to Barnes, he's becoming a great pro. As a Warriors fan I'm glad we picked him. I remember being a little disappointed by the pick after the draft, but now I wouldn't be surprised if he's an all-star in a few years.

DominoKid

yeah Barnes is a great complementary piece. i really like how GSW uses him in the post area.

as for the UAB game. i'm not watching it, so i don't really care about it. i'm not surprised that were losing though. my dad thought i was joking when i said i expected us to suck today since we just beat Louisville.

Fjordson

UK vs Providence, here we go. Maybe our toughest game this year so far. This and against Michigan State. Just hope we're ready to play at such a big venue.

Top Bottom