• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-2014 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT|

Fjordson

Not a great first half, but not terrible. Aaron Harrison having a nice game so far, as is Willie Cauley-Stein. Already has 4 blocks.

Andrew Harrison has really struggled with foul trouble so far this season. Guess it's a tough year for freshmen guards. Has to adjust not only to faster players in college than he faced in high school, but also to the new rules with handchecks and contact with the ballhandler.

NewLib

Banned
Soooo Cauley-Stein has been unbelievable the last few games for Kentucky. If they could get consistent guard play, they are going to be tough.

I dunno what's up. Everybody is slippin. I chalk it up to these top teams being overrated due to an abundance of Freshman talent that has a lot of potential, but will still have to develop.

For Duke and Kentucky and Kansas sure.

UNC's not that good and they're not going to get that much better without Hairston and McDonald. They a huge gaping hole now at the 2/3 with Bullock moving to the NBA and Hairston in NCAA limbo.

Fjordson

Pretty happy with that performance by UK. Didn't come out too slowly, perimeter D was much better, and our zone offense looked much improved.

We need a lot more from Andrew Harrison, but Cauley-Stein, James Young and Aaron Harrison played great. WCS in particular was excellent. 15 points and 9 blocks from him was huge.

Edit: interesting that the line for this game was only Kentucky by 7. Covered that pretty easily.

ESPN Stats & Info
Follow
Duke and North Carolina each have multiple losses before January for the first time since the 1999-2000 season.

If I recall correctly, Carolina got all the way to the FF as an 8 seed that year.

That was the year Duke lost Brand, Avery, Maggette, Langdon, and Burgess and Domzalski to NBA, graduation (Domzalski), or transfer (Burgess) but brought in Williams, Dunleavy, and Boozer. They started 0-2, losing to both Stanford and UConn, that was also the year they lost that home non-conference game to St. John's. But they ended up going 15-1 in the ACC, win the ACC tournament, made it to #1 in the polls, and.... lost in the Sweet 16 to Florida.

Screen-shot-2013-12-02-at-11.20.57-AM.png

My Picks:
Syracuse
Illinois
Pittsburgh
Michigan
Notre Dame
FSU

Ohio State
Virginia
Northwestern (Go Chris Collins!)
MSU
Purdue
Nebraska

ACC-5
B1G-7

thefro

Here's how I have it

Syracuse (will be a much closer game than IU/Syracuse in NCAA tourney though)
Illinois
Pittsburgh
Michigan
Iowa
Florida State

OSU
Wisconsin
NC State
Michigan State
Purdue
Miami

In case anyone's interested:
AP Top 25
RK TEAM RECORD PTS
1 Michigan State (63) 7-0 1,623
2 Arizona (2) 7-0 1,547
3 Kentucky 7-1 1,473
4 Syracuse 7-0 1,375
5 Ohio State 6-0 1,340
6 Kansas 6-1 1,240
7 Louisville 6-1 1,139
8 Wisconsin 8-0 1,094
9 Oklahoma State 7-1 1,070
10 Duke 6-2 1,021
11 Wichita State 8-0 911
12 Connecticut 7-0 836
13 Oregon 7-0 801
14 Villanova 7-0 785
15 Florida 6-1 758
16 Memphis 5-1 748
17 Iowa State 5-0 623
18 UCLA 7-0 548
19 Gonzaga 7-1 380
20 Baylor 7-1 377
21 Massachusetts 6-0 274
22 Michigan 5-2 223
23 Iowa 7-1 171
24 San Diego State 5-1 150
25 Dayton 6-1 90

USA Today Coaches Poll
RK TEAM RECORD PTS
1 Michigan State (31) 7-0 799
2 Arizona (1) 7-0 758
3 Ohio State 6-0 695
4 Kentucky 7-1 683
5 Syracuse 7-0 682
6 Louisville 6-1 607
7 Kansas 6-1 597
8 Duke 6-2 547
9 Wisconsin 8-0 517
10 Wichita State 8-0 484
11 Oklahoma State 7-1 476
12 Florida 6-1 426
13 Oregon 7-0 417
14 Connecticut 7-0 410
15 Memphis 5-1 311
15 Gonzaga 7-1 311
17 UCLA 7-0 261
18 Iowa State 5-0 245
19 Villanova 7-0 201
20 Baylor 7-1 195
21 Michigan 5-2 156
22 Massachusetts 6-0 122
23 Indiana 6-1 76
24 Iowa 7-1 63
25 North Carolina 4-2 62

Highest Arizona's been since Jason Gardner and Luke Walton were seniors.
mj.gif

jakncoke

Banned
Pitt march to ranked

AP

week 5 36 points
week 4 10 points
week 3 7 points
week 2 6 points
week 1 6 points

Coaches

week 5 33 points
week 4 18 points
week 3 19 points
week 2 13 points

Going to go into the Cincy game 10-0 and unranked. Hopefully if we beat Cincy and the other game we are at least #25 after

Karakand

So to belong here do I have to declare myself? I'm an Arizona fan who graduated in 2004. Hi.

When you waxed fondly about the Luke Walton era it was kind of a give away. (Hoops-GAF is a smart bunch.)

Also FYI we are mortal enemies.

e: Wow sorry that was the OTHER Arizona fan. I am not a regular Hoops-GAF poster, so the smart label still applies imo.

Amory

You should post a gif of the entire sequence to show the BLATANT double dribble before the shot that wasn't called. Fucking refs watched and just let it go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SsFEE6Ns7lE

Also, Scottie injured too? What the hell is with Gator athletics and injuries this year?

It wasn't a double dribble if the ball was tipped away from him, which it definitely appeared to have been.

Either way it wasn't "BLATANT".

But I get it. If I were a Florida fan I'd probably be saying the same thing. Good game though.

Edit: Found this video someone took right on the baseline http://instagram.com/p/hcUJlmEYRv/#

shows pretty definitively that the ball was deflected

Amory

Are you kidding? That instagram makes it MORE blatant.

No way. Watch the player trapping Napier on the right, #24 I think it is? His arm comes down and right as it passes the ball is when Bazz loses control. He tipped it.

The foul on the three pointer on UConn's prior possession was bs though, I'll give you that. But UConn was called for questionable fouls all game so in my mind it evens out.

Fjordson

Yeah, I dunno, it looks like it gets deflected to me in that instgram vid. Tough to call either way for sure, though.

Alright GAF, I'm confused and google isn't helping. I just saw them show someone drinking a beer at the Syracuse IU game. I didn't think they served beer at NCAA basketball games and google is doing me wrong. The answer I find the most is that they serve it at off campus arenas but the Carrier is on Syracuse campus right?

Someone help me here.

First post in here this season, just want to say as an IU fan that this Syracuse game is the regular season game I've least looked forward to since I've been watching IU bball (1990).

Im still apoplectic about losing to Syracuse in the tourney last yr, I still haven't gotten over it. IU should have handled Syracuse w/ the Oladipo/Zeller crew and the great outside shooting that team had. Unfortunately, Crean had his worst gameplan as an IU coach that night. Zeller shooting only one ft jumper the entire night (which he made) was inexcusable, as was waiting till 2 min left in the 1st half to put Oladipo on MCW (wasting him on Southerland the first 18 min of the game). Yeah Hulls separated shoulder, but they still should have beaten that team

Having said that, this matchup is the toughest matchup all season for IU's offense given the dearth of outside shooting IU has on their team this yr. They are rebounding well against the zone (which was expected) so far and IU's length is doing good work defensively. So I'm cool w/ being w/in a couple possessions.

Good lord, the refs are going all out to keep Ga Tech in this game. It was an evenly called game for a while, but now they're pulling out all the stops.

Unfortunately, Ga Tech appears to suck dick.

e: the ref just called a UI big for a moving screen before the screen was set.

Top Bottom