• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-2014 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT|

Fjordson

Interesting article by Gary Parish on Kansas and Kentucky and freshmen in general: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...good-and-kansas-is-young-and-still-developing

Says Anthony Davis and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist may have distorted expectations a bit for freshmen-led teams. I think he could be right and it's probably why Calipari has slightly changed his recruiting methods. I mean he's still trying to get a ton of one and done players, but he's also signing 3-4 year players like Tyler Ulis, Dominique Hawkins and Derek Willis.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Interesting article by Gary Parish on Kansas and Kentucky and freshmen in general: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...good-and-kansas-is-young-and-still-developing

Says Anthony Davis and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist may have distorted expectations a bit for freshmen-led teams. I think he could be right and it's probably why Calipari has slightly changed his recruiting methods. I mean he's still trying to get a ton of one and done players, but he's also signing 3-4 year players like Tyler Ulis, Dominique Hawkins and Derek Willis.

And Devin Booker.

Fjordson

And Devin Booker.
Yeah, true, can't see him being a one and done. Marcus Lee will also be back next year and I'm starting to think Dakari Johnson will be here 2-3 years as well.

Our backcourt could be pretty crowded next year. Karl Towns, Trey Lyles, Marcus Lee, Dakari Johnson and Derek Willis. Part of the reason I never thought we had a realistic shot at Okafor and probably don't with Myles Turner either.

Seth C

Players with the internal drive of MKG and Anthony Davis are rare at all levels of play.The best of the best have it, and that's what separates them. Michael Jordan, Kobe Byant, etc. They are driven at all times to be the best they can be.

illini-auburn-1.gif

I made this shot at the gym once

Proelite

I have a feeling that Duke 2014-2015 will be one of the most disappointing years of all time if Parker leaves.

No outside shooting in the starting line-up. PG chemistry issues due to Jones not starting and Jahil not being happy about that.

jakncoke

Banned
Pitt march to ranked

AP
week 6 47 points
week 5 36 points
week 4 10 points
week 3 7 points
week 2 6 points
week 1 6 points

Coaches
week 6 38 points
week 5 33 points
week 4 18 points
week 3 19 points
week 2 13 points

Going to go into the Cincy game 10-0 and unranked. Hopefully if we beat Cincy and the other game we are at least #25 after

Definitely going to have to beat Cincy and the winner of the Florida/Memphis game to get ranked

Fjordson

I have a feeling that Duke 2014-2015 will be one of the most disappointing years of all time if Parker leaves.

No outside shooting in the starting line-up. PG chemistry issues due to Jones not starting and Jahil not being happy about that.
Wait, who's going to start instead of Tyus at point??

Quinn.

But K started Kyrie even though Nolan was the nominal PG, so I wouldn't worry just yet.

EDIT: This is all assuming Quinn doesn't play his way into a first round pick of course. Crazier things have happened.

I would not be too surprised if Tyus started over Quinn, or if they played together with Tyus at the 1 and Quinn at the 2.

Fjordson

Quinn.

But K started Kyrie even though Nolan was the nominal PG, so I wouldn't worry just yet.

EDIT: This is all assuming Quinn doesn't play his way into a first round pick of course. Crazier things have happened.
Man, I'll be shocked if Tyus doesn't start over Quinn Cook before the end of the year. I mean Cook is okay, but Tyus seems like he'll be great.

Though I guess that's assuming a lot. I guess I should say there's a decent chance that Tyus will be great. I thought Andrew Harrison was going to be great at PG this year for UK, but he certainly hasn't been so far =[

Man, I'll be shocked if Tyus doesn't start over Quinn Cook before the end of the year. I mean Cook is okay, but Tyus seems like he'll be great.

Though I guess that's assuming a lot. I guess I should say there's a decent chance that Tyus will be great. I thought Andrew Harrison was going to be great at PG this year for UK, but he certainly hasn't been so far =[

Quinn would be a senior and three-year starter at PG and K tends to have loyalty to his seniors (see Hairston's bum self starting). Plus Cook's a bit better than okay.

But, K doesn't love all of the extra stuff (such as celebrating after good plays and not getting back on D) that comes with Quinn.

Of course, this all assumes that Cook comes back. He's trending well at the moment, I could see him sliding into the first round in a lot of mock drafts by the end of the year. If that happens, he's gone.

Fjordson

Quinn would be a senior and three-year starter at PG and K tends to have loyalty to his seniors (see Hairston's bum self starting). Plus Cook's a bit better than okay.

But, K doesn't love all of the extra stuff (such as celebrating after good plays and not getting back on D) that comes with Quinn.

Of course, this all assumes that Cook comes back. He's trending well at the moment, I could see him sliding into the first round in a lot of mock drafts by the end of the year. If that happens, he's gone.
That's true. And saying okay is probably not fair. I know he's had some great games this year and he's putting up nice numbers.

Tyus and Cook together in the backcourt would be interesting.

Also, Jerry Meyer (director of scouting at 247 Sports) is now predicting Rashad Vaughn to UK. Very interesting.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Quinn.

I think Cook would have to have a really good tourney to go 1st round this year, its possible. I'm not concerned about Tyus at all. He'll get plenty of burn and in today's NBA you don't even have to be a regular player to be drafted, just POTENTIAL.

K's run two PGs before and the Jason Williams/ Chris Duhon pairing in 01 worked really well. The only reason I think Parker sticks is if he wants an NCAA title, they would be incredibly heavy favorites should he decide to. I'm not counting on it, but I wouldn't be surprised either way. Same with Hood.

Off topic but Dook bros, chik fil a bowl middle section tickets are 120 bucks a pop right now. Should I do it? Will be in ATL for Christmas anyway.

826668188.gif

Duke on UNC violence doesn't stop when they leave school

Off topic but Dook bros, chik fil a bowl middle section tickets are 120 bucks a pop right now. Should I do it? Will be in ATL for Christmas anyway.

I would. In addition to watching Duke in a upper level non-BCS bowl (who knows when the next time that'll happen ), you get to watch JFF last college game maybe ever.

Fjordson

826668188.gif

Duke on UNC violence doesn't stop when they leave school

I would. In addition to watching Duke in a upper level non-BCS bowl (who knows when the next time that'll happen ), you get to watch JFF last college game maybe ever.
I'm watching this game (Warriors fan). We look awful. Gerald has been making plays all game and Kemba is out of his mind right now.

So when is Wiggins going to have a breakthrough? He still acts uninterested in what's going on. Maybe he's trying to avoid injury before he goes pro?

His saving grace so far this season is that he's been an exceptional defender. On O, it just doesn't seem like he knows how to fit in his talent with Self's system.

He's not selfish enough to just try and take games over himself, he doesn't want to overshadow the other guys on the squad. But it means that occasionally he falls into the shadows himself.

I mean even on that last play when he drove through the lane to the hoop, he tried to lay it in instead of dunking it. He showed some hesitance because of the nearby defenders to go up and dunk it. And he missed the lay-in as a result. I don't see the killer mentality out of him needed by a superstar. I don't know if thats on Self or not, but someone needs to put a fire under his shoes. Usually thats the coach's job.

Mik317

Kansas' guard play makes it difficult to evaluate Wiggins and Embiid

They dont get them the ball in the right spots, turns it over and take awful shots.

Wiggins need to be more selfish tho

Fjordson

Wiggins waking up a bit.

Nice showing from Florida. If they can get Chris Walker eligible and stay healthy they could be scary.

Kansas' guard play makes it difficult to evaluate Wiggins and Embiid

They dont get them the ball in the right spots, turns it over and take awful shots.

Wiggins need to be more selfish tho
Yeah, their guards haven't been great this year.

Nesotenso

We need better play from people like Selden, Mason, Tharpe and the rotation of guards. Wish guys like Greene and White impressed more so Self didn't have to go with Mason and Tharpe in at the same time. Wiggins is asserting himself and hopefully a light came on.
Guys like Embid and Black need to play smarter. Mostly it is case of the freshmen learning on the job and getting better. Ball movement needs to be better and the zone should not be giving us fits.

Still not panicking as a Jayhawk fan. Schedule is tough but hopefully things will get better come conference play.
Still think we are way better than the teams we lost against if we play to our potential.

CronoShot

KU man. KU. We've got so much talent, it's hard to see us fumble around like middle schoolers playing in their first game.

Hope it's just a freshman slump type of thing, but I'm afraid our guard situation may be dire.

tumblr_mr437vU2mJ1qdkxdjo1_250.gif

And yes, Wiggins needs to be far, far more selfish in these kinds of situations. He disappeared for the last ten minutes of the game until he started hitting those threes in the last couple of minutes.

Fjordson

Good lord. Some of the offensive rebounds UK gives up are fucking ridiculous. Guys twisting through the air making, crazy reverses and shit. Really frustrating.

I mean even on that last play when he drove through the lane to the hoop, he tried to lay it in instead of dunking it. He showed some hesitance because of the nearby defenders to go up and dunk it. And he missed the lay-in as a result. I don't see the killer mentality out of him needed by a superstar. I don't know if thats on Self or not, but someone needs to put a fire under his shoes. Usually thats the coach's job.

The moment he steps on an NBA court he'll be one of the 5 best perimeter defenders in the whole league. He's got an immense first step, and that jab step is pretty deadly already. Scouts have always known about his strengths and weaknesses, he's still firmly entrenched at #1.

Solid win for UK. Not great, but I'll take it.

It was good, though. Calipari teams always get better as the year goes on. Last year they lose the probably #1 guy when they were ranked. It was a shallow team, so things went South quickly. It wasn't a flaw with his system, though, as many say. You lose a lottery pick instantly like that, you are gonna have a bad time. Probably wouldn't have gone deep in the Tourney, but I think they would have made it to the 3rd round.

Top Bottom