• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-2014 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT|

devilhawk

Can't believe that Embiid pulled off a dream shake tonight. Kid is going to be good. Hard to fathom he has been playing just over 2 years.

Bowser

Oh, that oop you all got when Young got yanked down from behind.

Yeah, that was an amazing play. Crazy how open he was after his defender tossed him to the ground.

mF6uE.gif

The salt, so tasty.

The play started with Johnson cleanly swiping the rebound from Randle after an Andrew Harrison missed 3. Then He and Andrew scrambling to recover it. Young does play a prominent role in the gif though getting back on D and forcing Paige to toss it high enough into the clouds that Brice was the only one with any chance to grab it and stuff it back down.

I'm starting to see glimpses of the Duke team that was advertised in the offseason.

Getting into the passing lanes, forcing turnovers, scoring in transition.

Also Sheed Sulaimon sighting

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
UNC fan with a "Free PJ" sign in Cameron getting booed lol

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'm starting to see glimpses of the Duke team that was advertised in the offseason.

Getting into the passing lanes, forcing turnovers, scoring in transition.

Also Sheed Sulaimon sighting

Defense is still awful and the team is regressing to Vermont levels of ineptitude. I'd rather not make the tourney than get bounced in the 1st round.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Defense is still awful and the team is regressing to Vermont levels of ineptitude. I'd rather not make the tourney than get bounced in the 1st round.

Crowd is awful tonight and it's definitely affecting the guys. They'll pull it together.

Proelite

Any one want to trade a decent big man who is at least 6'9 230 lbs for a shooting guard who averaged 12ppg a game freshman year? Kid was a MacDonalds AA and 5 star recruit too.

I swear it's a good deal.

Heels any interest in trading away McAdoo for an extra guard that could shoot the 3?

Kansas can we have Tarik Black please?

jakncoke

Banned
Dammit how could i forget our games. I was so pumped, man we really shat the bed it seems 13 min 47 second stretch without a basket ffs

Florida is getting Duke's Alex Murphy, who announced he was transferring a couple of weeks ago.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...-transferring-florida-gators-duke-blue-devils

For Gators fans, he reclassified during high school but redshirted his first year at Duke anyway. This is his second year playing, but has not gotten much run. He's listed at 6'8, perimeter oriented. He is deceptively athletic. I think he can be good, but he just couldn't crack Duke's notoriously short rotation last year and hasn't gotten much run this year, either.

Murph probably should have went to Florida in the first place, hindsight being 20/20. But it is what it is.

I think he can be a solid contributor for UF. Couldn't work out at Duke, but I wish him the best.

This prompted me to look up the stats of the most recent transfer out of Duke, "Silent G" Michael Gbinije. He's averaging 3.9 points, 2.3 rebounds, and 1.7 assists through 10 games at Syracase. Season high is 11 points (game 3), has gone scoreless in 3 of the last 5 games. Averages about 15 minutes per game.

Of all the transfers out of Duke's program, at least over the past 20 years, I'm not sure how many have thrived elsewhere. Billy McCaffrey was a big part of Duke as a freshman and sophomore (was in Hurley's class), and he kept it up after transferring to Vanderbilt. Elliot Williams was similarly a good contributor as a freshman at Duke and had a good year at Memphis before going pro. Off the top of my head, I don't know if any other player has gone from languishing on the bench at Duke and then being a big contributor at a different school, but I could just be misinformed. I don't recall seeing many transfers out of Duke's program eventually make it to the league.

Bowser

Annnnddddd it's confirmed:

On Dec. 17, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill men’s basketball student-athlete Leslie McDonald was cleared to compete in the school’s next competition. McDonald sat nine games and must repay $1,783 to a charity of his choice for receiving numerous impermissible extra benefits.

North Carolina discovered the rule violations on Oct. 24 and then submitted a reinstatement request to the NCAA for McDonald on Dec. 11. The NCAA then worked with North Carolina to finalize the facts before the university submitted its complete request for McDonald's reinstatement on Dec. 17.

According to the facts of the case, which were agreed upon by the university and the NCAA staff, McDonald accepted benefits from numerous individuals during the spring and summer of 2013. These benefits included the use of luxury cars, payment of parking tickets, a cell phone and lodging. McDonald must complete the repayment of impermissible extra benefits before the last regular season game, as this is his final season of eligibility.

“Out of concern for student-athletes safety and wellbeing, NCAA membership has created rules that limit improper third-party influence over student-athletes, and clearly state student-athletes cannot receive benefits based on their athletic ability,” said Kevin Lennon, NCAA vice president of academic and membership affairs, whose staff handles reinstatement requests.

When a school discovers an NCAA rules violation has occurred, it must declare the student-athlete ineligible and may request the student-athlete’s eligibility be reinstated. The NCAA staff reviews each student-athlete reinstatement request individually based on its own merits and set of specific facts. At this time, McDonald’s reinstatement request is the only one the NCAA has received from North Carolina.

Free PJ?

DominoKid

the charity repayment sounds like a silly Monopoly penalty.

wonder why we haven't tried to get PJ back yet.

edit: this picture is hilarious. 5'8" vs 7'6"
BbvyfDQIgAAXfBe.jpg

Silkworm

Murph probably should have went to Florida in the first place, hindsight being 20/20. But it is what it is.

I think he can be a solid contributor for UF. Couldn't work out at Duke, but I wish him the best.

Glad he joined UF. Florida's front court looks like it could be thin next year so more depth is always appreciated. Also if this has a positive affect on the possibility of getting the youngest Murphy (who some believe to be the most talented of the 3 Murphy brothers) all the better.

Was a bit of nail-bitting game against Memphis but happy to see UF win. Now UF is 2-1 in games decided in 6 or less points. A much better record so far versus 0-6 last year in similar situations. Still UF needs to see if they can improve their FTs and this game they got a little lazy with the ball with 18 turnovers. I suppose with Memphis's 4 very good guards such a stat isn't all that surprising but hopefully it's not something that crops up with too much frequency.

Fjordson

McAdoo with 8 points on 4/13 shooting, 4 fouls and 1 rebound. The guy is mostly a bum. So shameful for UK that he went off against us.

If Texas had any kind of discipline at all they would blowing UNC out right now.

And Leslie McDonald has as many made 3's this season as the rest of the team not named Paige.

jakncoke

Banned
lmao texas

edit; did i see something else or did he touch the string when the ball was above the cylinder? I thought that was no basket? am i wrong?

Top Bottom