• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-2014 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT|

Just saw this on my Twitter feed...

Free PJ

http://www.goheels.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=3350&ATCLID=209345978

CHAPEL HILL - The University of North Carolina will not seek reinstatement from the NCAA for men's basketball junior guard P.J. Hairston. The Greensboro, N.C., native has already sat out 10 games this season due to eligibility issues.

"Unfortunately P.J. made a number of mistakes that placed his eligibility at risk and the University's joint review with the NCAA made it clear that seeking reinstatement for P.J. would not be possible," says director of athletics Bubba Cunningham. "The University thanks him for his contributions to Carolina Basketball.

"I am extremely disappointed for P.J., his family and our team as he will no longer be playing basketball at North Carolina," says head coach Roy Williams. "P.J. made mistakes and I was very disappointed by his actions and now he is suffering the very difficult consequences. He is not a bad kid; he just made some mistakes.

"Since summer, P.J. has been outstanding with our basketball program and with his schoolwork. He went through an extremely intense conditioning program with flying colors. He has been called a 'perfect teammate' by one of our other players. He has dominated our practices and at times has been as good as any perimeter player I have ever coached, giving great effort to help our team. He cares deeply about Carolina and the basketball program.

"P.J. has learned from this experience and will continue to grow as a player and adult. I will support him and help him as much as I possibly can as he enters this next phase of his life and basketball career."

He drove the wrong felon's rental car. Or something like that.

And, of course the other charged and non-charged issues (reckless driving, drugs, gun) from the summer couldn't have helped.

linko9

We got rapists runnin around on the football field, and PJ gets thrown under the bus for some bullshit. Fuck the NCAA. Bunch of hypocrites.

Sorry for being so bitter. Can't imagine what he, Roy, and the rest of the team are feeling.

Talon

Yeah driving a felon's rental car with a loaded gun was apparently too much to recover from.

What a knucklehead.

At least after that embarrassing academic scandal (how did this escape NCAA punishment? Nobody knows!, UNC is making one right decision.

UNC, our Sheed for big man deal has been tabled for now, but we're willing to loan you Matt Jones for a big man.

Not sure it applies here, but the theory is that the new rules will make less fouls in the long term. Just going to take some time in the short term for coaches/players to adjust to the new rules.

I think it will in the long term too, but that long term may be a few years.

But I think one of the big adjustments will be more teams adapting zone, like UCLA did last night.

We got rapists runnin around on the football field, and PJ gets thrown under the bus for some bullshit. Fuck the NCAA. Bunch of hypocrites.

Sorry for being so bitter. Can't imagine what he, Roy, and the rest of the team are feeling.

Normally I'm as against the NCAA's hypocrisy as anyone, but this one is all PJ.

He knows how the NCAA gets down and he fucked up by even putting himself in this position. His actions have shown a reckless disregard for the team, the university, and ultimately his own career.

He should've known better.

I imagine they sacrificed PJ to keep the NCAA from sniffing around the academic fraud you guys had, although the NCAA refused to even touch that. So you guys shouldn't be criticizing the NCAA too much, as your asses should have gotten hammered for that bullshit.

Not to mention, Roy made PJ run extra laps! ISN'T THAT PUNISHMENT ENOUGH, NCAA?! GOSH DADGUMMIT GIMME A COLAR, MY VERTIGA IS ACTIN UP!

linko9

Normally I'm as against the NCAA's hypocrisy as anyone, but this one is all PJ.

He knows how the NCAA gets down and he fucked up by even putting himself in this position. His actions have shown a reckless disregard for the team, the university, and ultimately his own career.

He should've known better.

Yeah, I'm mostly speaking from emotion here. But I do think the punishment doesn't fit the crime. These are kids; they make mistakes, and should be allowed to learn from them, get their act together, and be forgiven. Ending the kid's college career is too harsh, and considering what a corrupt, gross organization the NCAA is, I have a hard time stomaching the fact that they are sitting back and destroying this kid's college career.

And hell, even Bilas thought he should come back, if a Dukie can forgive him, surely anyone can.

edit: To be clear, kids have been reinstated after committing armed robbery. That's why this seems so hypocritical to me.

Tarheels lose P.J.

We get Bruce.

828507964.gif

Fjordson

So Dante Exum is going through with a visit to his final five schools - Indiana, UNC, UK, Michigan and Oregon. Still think he's going straight to the NBA, though.

PJ's draft stock seems to be fine, though this is now basically a wasted year. I don't think he was projected any differently last year.

Chad Ford ‏@chadfordinsider 12m
Bubble 1st rounder RT @ESPNAndyKatz: PJ Hairston done at North Carolina, Tar Heels not seeking reinstatement:

Pat Forde ‏@YahooForde 55m
Got an email from Ticketmaster touting "college basketball rivalry packages." Among them: Missouri-Kentucky. They've played five times.

Conference realignment, everybody!

Although this response wasn't bad

Tyler Lindsey ‏@thlindsey 54m
@YahooForde we aspire to hate any team that starts with a K

Seth C

Yeah, I'm mostly speaking from emotion here. But I do think the punishment doesn't fit the crime. These are kids; they make mistakes, and should be allowed to learn from them, get their act together, and be forgiven. Ending the kid's college career is too harsh, and considering what a corrupt, gross organization the NCAA is, I have a hard time stomaching the fact that they are sitting back and destroying this kid's college career.

And hell, even Bilas thought he should come back, if a Dukie can forgive him, surely anyone can.

edit: To be clear, kids have been reinstated after committing armed robbery. That's why this seems so hypocritical to me.

Kid has been having thousands in rental cars paid for by someone, and that someone is a criminal and a booster for the University.. UNC isn't seeking re-instatement because they don't want the NCAA being forced to sniff around. Smart move on their part.

DominoKid

welp this cuts my enjoyment of this season down by about 50%. i hope PJ balls the fuck out in the NBA. he has the ability and i look forward to seeing it.

fuck NC State and we will sweep them again this year. assholes.

Ugliness incoming?

Rick Bonnell ‏@rick_bonnell 8m
Rep for P.J. Hairston family says they're "displeased" UNC wouldn't file paperwork requesting reinstatement from the NCAA.

Rick Bonnell ‏@rick_bonnell 6m
Same statement calls it a "shame" there will be no decision from governing body (NCAA) on Hairston's eligibility after so long a process.

Talon

I really don't think we as UNC fans can claim higher ground here considering the absolutely outrageous academic misconduct that went on with both the basketball and football teams in the late aughts.

PJ fucked up real bad. To be on probation and then get pulled over yet again within a week, that's a special type of dumb.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Kid has been having thousands in rental cars paid for by someone, and that someone is a criminal and a booster for the University.. UNC isn't seeking re-instatement because they don't want the NCAA being forced to sniff around. Smart move on their part.

Yep. In a way, its sad it took this long to cut the cord.

As far as PJ, usually a one time action is a mistake, that same action many times is a habit. PJ doesn't come from a poor family or a bad upbringing, he got caught up in the idea of what he felt he was owed, what he deserved, and look what it got him. All the dumbass had to do is just play well one more year and he goes league as a shooting guard. Don't feel sorry for him, he's not the victim.

Ugliness incoming?

There's a reason UNC didn't apply for reinstatement.

Fjordson

10 minutes in and UK is losing 18-12 to Belmont. We stink =[

edit: Belmont winning by 11. I think we've actually gotten worse since the MSU game.

Top Bottom