• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-2014 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT|

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like we should be down 10 right now. Lamar another slow 1st half.

I feel the same way haha, our defensive rebounding was awful that half. Hoping we can keep the intensity up and pull out a win. I've been much more worried about this game than the Cuse game.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Who is this Pitt freshman hitting all of the 3s?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Pitt shooting 80% from 3? They couldn't do that shit against a YMCA team next game. These video game 3 pt performances always happen against Duke. Next game, the team shoots 21%

jakncoke

Banned
Pitt shooting 80% from 3? They couldn't do that shit against a YMCA team next game. These video game 3 pt performances always happen against Duke. Next game, the team shoots 21%

The guys that made 3s today have either like 5 all year or in cameron wright case shooting like 9%

Fjordson

star freshmen have never played a lick of defense before now.
:lol true, but pick & roll in particular is just guarded horribly in college. UK this year also struggles mightily to contain it. Wonder why more coaches don't use it. Guess maybe the paint is too packed for the roll man because of no illegal defense rules? I dunno.

also true. And Davis. Was great at showing high on the pick & roll and then recovering to his man.

Talon

star freshmen have never played a lick of defense before now.
That's not entirely true. If we're talking about perimeter players, Marcus Smart played good defense. So did MKG. Then there's this guy:
L169_CIFR5bab9ead851c4dc7541d762564f68c6e.jpg

Then there's of course the bigs like Anthony Davis and Nerlens Noel.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
That's not entirely true. If we're talking about perimeter players, Marcus Smart played good defense. So did MKG. Then there's this guy:
L169_CIFR5bab9ead851c4dc7541d762564f68c6e.jpg

Then there's of course the bigs like Anthony Davis and Nerlens Noel.

Then let me amend that to Duke's star freshmen have never played defense until now. Especially Kyrie and Jabari. Singler was a solid defensive player but I wouldn't call him a star freshmen either.

Edit: best thing I like about this season is how Andre Dawkins is playing. I think he is truly enjoying playing basketball right now.

Talon

I don't get why players don't shade shooter's faces when they shoot treys. You aren't going to actually block the shot. That second of blocking their view of the basket is going to more effective if you're late.

Calling Duke the most anticipated home game for Pitt or Syracuse in history has to be insulting to schools like Georgetown, Villanova, etc. I don't think it's particularly accurate.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Huge win, gg jnc. A lot of Duke fans were more nervous about this game than Syracuse. Pitt is tough and physical, Dixon is a very good coach.

Its Duke's best win of the season.

jakncoke

Banned
The amount of open 3s makes me want to vomit. I hope they have to run wind sprints for 3 days straight then play defense drills to cover 3 pt shooters.

Speaking of good wins, we still dont have a top 50 rpi win now. 0-3

Stanford #51 still our best win

I can't believe Gondo has been hyping up Smart. Bad decision to stay another year.

Now everyone knows that he's a whiny flopper who can't control his temper.

devilhawk

I can't believe Gondo has been hyping up Smart. Bad decision to stay another year.

Now everyone knows that he's a whiny flopper who can't control his temper.
Many have known this for the last year.

Now even OSU fans know it. Love the cheap shot he gave a guy while flopping to get some garbage time points in another loss.

Fjordson

Dan Dakich is calling the Kentucky / LSU game ugh. I thought ESPN kept him contained with Big Ten games? Will probably have to mute the TV tonight.

inm8num2

Dan Dakich is calling the Kentucky / LSU game ugh. I thought ESPN kept him contained with Big Ten games? Will probably have to mute the TV tonight.

The disease of Dakich is spreading like wild fire.

Kentucky and LSU fans - I wish you strength to endure that ignoramus during the game.

Crisco

Banned
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-01-27/university-of-north-carolina-apologizes-for-fake-classes-promises-real-change

James Dean, the executive vice chancellor and provost of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, flew to New York, arriving at Bloomberg headquarters on Saturday to deliver a heartening message. He wanted to do it in person. “We made mistakes. Horrible things happened that I’m ashamed of,” he said over coffee in our newsroom, sparsely populated on a weekend. “Student-athletes and other students, too, were hurt” as a result of hundreds of phony classes offered beginning sometime in the 1990s. “The integrity of our university was badly damaged.”

Chapel Hill’s top executive for academics, its No. 2 official overall, came to New York to underscore that his fine university—a pillar of public education and a force in Division 1 sports—”hasn’t been clear enough about what went wrong.” He said he and his boss, Chancellor Carol Folt, are determined to change direction. “To fix things, we have to understand what actually happened in the past,” Dean added. He came to us because Bloomberg Businessweek has been examining the corruption of academics at Chapel Hill—although such problems are not unique to the school—as an illustration of how the drive to win lucrative college basketball and football championships undermines the education of undergraduates.

Man, UNC is starting to do a real heel turn on this issue. That's about as close to a public confession as you're going to get. They are basically admitting to two decades of academic wrong doing for the sake of athletics, and are no longer trying to pin it all one person or one department. I guess calling fake classes for athletes an "academic issue" because anyone could get a fake degree wasn't the smartest move for a school that calls itself the "Public Ivy".

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-01-27/university-of-north-carolina-apologizes-for-fake-classes-promises-real-change

Man, UNC is starting to do a real heel turn on this issue. That's about as close to a public confession as you're going to get. They are basically admitting to two decades of academic wrong doing for the sake of athletics, and are no longer trying to pin it all one person or one department. I guess calling fake classes for athletes an "academic issue" because anyone could get a fake degree wasn't the smartest move for a school that calls itself the "Public Ivy".

Not to undermine the significance of the issue and redirect it to sports again, but...is the NCAA going to do end up doing anything if more and more of this continues to unravel?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Not to undermine the significance of the issue and redirect it to sports again, but...is the NCAA going to do end up doing anything if more and more of this continues to unravel?

Not if they can help it. They will do their best to not be involved in any way.

Top Bottom