• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-2014 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT|

inm8num2

Good game, Hawkeyes. Tough, gritty win for the Spartans - didn't expect them to pull it out as they mostly shot for garbage but hit the big ones at key moments.

It's clear that without Payne and Dawson MSU doesn't even bother to go inside. Not sure how much longer they can win especially without Payne.

NFreak

Well fuck. We seriously needed this game for any chance to compete for the title. It's Mich vs MSU now.

Did you wonder why Olaseni was on the bench so much in the second half? He seemed to play really well in the first. McCabe played like shit all game. I also don't know why he was in.

Servbot24

Banned
Did you wonder why Olaseni was on the bench so much in the second half? He seemed to play really well in the first. McCabe played like shit all game. I also don't know why he was in.
I did indeed wonder that my friend. Fran had some ugly line ups out there during some crucial points.

And I understand drawing a T on occasion, but today's was totally unnecessary simply because the crowd was already making the point.

Silkworm

LSU finally playing up to their potential, which has been to UK's detriment so far (and UK hasn't exactly done themselves any favors with their play so far). Glad UF isn't playing at LSU. UK can still pull out a win in the 4 minutes remaining but it won't be easy. BTW really good win by Missouri at Arkansas earlier tonight.

NFreak

I did indeed wonder that my friend. Fran had some ugly line ups out there during some crucial points.

And I understand drawing a T on occasion, but today's was totally unnecessary simply because the crowd was already making the point.

That they did. Can't complain about the loss really though, especially when you miss 13 free throws and go 13 straight minutes without a field goal. Funny thing is that T could have been the difference in the game.

Silkworm

Well, make that loss #5 on the season for UK. Will be interesting to see how UK rebounds when the play at Missouri next. Oh well, at least Missouri played well tonight so they might have moved ahead of Ole Miss to be the 3rd best team in the SEC -- especially if they win their next game against UK. Admittedly Missouri's SEC record of 4-3 vs. Ole Miss's 5-1 suggests Ole Miss as the better team, but Ole Miss's schedule has been pretty soft so far. Really wish the SEC as a whole was doing better. I guess it can still improve and if not, I suppose there's always next year.

Fjordson

What a joke. LSU was up double digits most of that game. UK is basically a middle of the pack team in possibly the single worst major conference in the country.

If anyone ever feels frustrated this year with their team or feels they're overrated, take at least some solace in the fact that you aren't as overrated as Kentucky.

So guys, I'm kind of uninformed, why is Doug McDermott not talked about for a high lottery pick? Guy seems pretty good.
Kinda slow and he plays the strongest position in the league right now (small forward). Not sure how he could guard most 3's in the league and he's not big enough to guard most power forwards.

He's crazy good on offense, though. Seen multiple mocks have him around the 12-15 range, so he'll definitely go somewhere.

What a joke. LSU was up double digits most of that game. UK is basically a middle of the pack team in possibly the single worst major conference in the country.

If anyone ever feels frustrated this year with their team or feels they're overrated, take at least some solace in the fact that you aren't as overrated as Kentucky.

So....

40-0 or not 40-0?

Kinda slow and he plays the strongest position in the league right now (small forward). Not sure how he could guard most 3's in the league and he's not big enough to guard most power forwards.

He's crazy good on offense, though. Seen multiple mocks have him around the 12-15 range, so he'll definitely go somewhere.

Too slow to play a traditional 4 at the next level. He'll be an Ersan Ilyasova type.

Handles not good enough to play 2.

no upside. he's a roleplayer in the NBA.

Ah, I see. One of those guys who's unathletic but can shoot the lights out. Thanks. A Mike Miller comparison any good?

Fjordson

Ah, I see. One of those guys who's unathletic but can shoot the lights out. Thanks. A Mike Miller comparison any good?
Sort of, though he has a better midrange game and can take it inside. It's just tough these days in the NBA because we've gotten to the point where there are 6-8 to 6-10 wing players who are freakishly athletic. And you can't hide guys as easily in the pros on defense when it's basically all man to man.

Not quite there yet. McDermott plays off the ball a lot, which makes him a bit more one dimensional.

And Mike Miller used to be really good. Underrated passer and secondary ball handler. One season he averaged a Paul Pierce-esque 18/5/4.

DominoKid

Sort of, though he has a better midrange game and can take it inside. It's just tough these days in the NBA because we've gotten to the point where there are 6-8 to 6-10 wing players who are freakishly athletic. And you can't hide guys as easily in the pros on defense when it's basically all man to man.

the SF position is just damn ridiculous now.

Fjordson

the SF position is just damn ridiculous now.
Yep. Shooting guard has declined in the pros and there aren't a lot of true downlow big men who play exclusively in the paint, but you have a lot of these 6-7+ athletic guys who can shoot, rebound, and take you off the dribble or 6-9+ guys who can rebound and post up, but also spread out towards the 3 point line and hit jumpers. It'll be tough for McDermott to guard either type of player on a consistent basis at the next level.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Not quite there yet. McDermott plays off the ball a lot, which makes him a bit more one dimensional.

And Mike Miller used to be really good. Underrated passer and secondary ball handler. One season he averaged a Paul Pierce-esque 18/5/4.

So basically somewhere between Luke Babbitt and Kyle Singler. He'll get you 8-12 a game off your bench. Not someone you build your team on, but nice to have anyway.

Actually I don't know if Babbitt is still in the NBA.

So basically somewhere between Luke Babbitt and Kyle Singler. He'll get you 8-12 a game off your bench. Not someone you build your team on, but nice to have anyway.

Actually I don't know if Babbitt is still in the NBA.

Put it this way, his nightmare scenario (Adam Morrison) is worse than anyone else's out of the top 20 for this year's draft.

Put it this way, his nightmare scenario (Adam Morrison) is worse than anyone else's out of the top 20 for this year's draft.

I don't think McDermott's floor is worse than either Rodney Hood's or Dario Saric's (two other guys with no athleticism but more questionable skill levels). McDermott is a much better shooter than Ammo was (Ammo shot 37% from three and 76% from the line in college and only had one good year of shooting in college, McDermott has shot 46% from three and 83% from the line in college and has been an elite shooter through all four). He'll probably stick around for a while in the league regardless of if most of his game other than shooting doesn't translate or isn't even passable whereas some other guys could flame out and never be seen again.

I don't think McDermott's floor is worse than either Rodney Hood's or Dario Saric's (two other guys with no athleticism but more questionable skill levels). McDermott is a much better shooter than Ammo was (Ammo shot 37% from three and 76% from the line in college and only had one good year of shooting in college, McDermott has shot 46% from three and 83% from the line in college and has been an elite shooter through all four). He'll probably stick around for a while in the league regardless of if most of his game other than shooting doesn't translate or isn't even passable whereas some other guys could flame out and never be seen again.

I watched Saric at EuroBasket and he looked pretty good against more than decent competition. I don't know if dudes like Darko or Tskfmeoandkslfnvili had promising performances like what Saric had on a relatively big stage, but I'd thought they were the workout wonders who just didn't actually know how to play basketball. Now maybe McDermott's killing it at USA basketball camps, but I wouldn't know about that.

I like Rodney Hood a lot (duh), but I find it laughable that he's projected top 10.

Ersan was really good that one year, and I don't think it's a diss to compare McDermott to him.

2014 McDonald's All American Game Team Rosters

EAST TEAM
Name Pos Hgt High School (Hometown) College
Cliff Alexander PF 6-9 Curie High School (Chicago, IL) Kansas
James Blackmon, Jr. SG 6-2 Marion High School (Marion, IN) Indiana
Justin Jackson SF 6-7 Homeschool Christian (Tomball, TX) North Carolina
Tyus Jones PG 6-1 Apple Valley High School (Apple Valley, MN) Duke
Kevon Looney PF 6-8 Milwaukee Hamilton High School (Milwaukee, WI) UCLA
Theo Pinson SF 6-6 Wesleyan Christian (Greensboro, NC) North Carolina
D’Angelo Russell SG 6-4 Montverde Academy (Louisville, KY) Ohio State
Karl Towns, Jr. C 6-11 St. Joseph High School (Metuchen, NJ) Kentucky
Romelo Trimble PG 6-2 O’Connell High School (Upper Marlboro, MD) Maryland
Myles Turner C 6-11 Trinity High School (Bedford, TX) Undecided
Isaiah Whitehead SG 6-4 Lincoln High School (Brooklyn, NY) Seton Hall
Justise Winslow SF 6-6 Saint John’s High School (Houston, TX) Duke

WEST TEAM
Name Pos Hgt High School (Hometown) College
Grayson Allen SG 6-4 Providence School of Jacksonville (Jacksonville, FL) Duke
Joel Berry PG 6-0 Lake Highland Prep (Apopka, FL) North Carolina
Devin Booker SG 6-5 Moss Point High School (Moss Point, MS) Kentucky
Stanley Johnson SF 6-6 Mater Dei High School (Fullerton, CA) Arizona
Trey Lyles PF 6-10 Arsenal Technical (Indianapolis, IN) Kentucky
Emmanuel Mudiay PG 6-5 Prime Prep Academy (Dallas, TX) Southern Methodist
Jahlil Okafor C 6-10 Whitney Young Magnet High School (Chicago, IL) Duke
Kelly Oubre SF 6-7 Findlay College Prep (Richmond, TX) Kansas
Reid Travis PF 6-8 De La Salle High School (Minneapolis, MN) Stanford
Tyler Ulis PG 5-9 Marian Catholic High School (Matteson, IL) Kentucky
Rashad Vaughn SG 6-6 Findlay College Prep (Golden Valley, MN) Undecided
Thomas Welsh C 6-11 Loyola High School (Los Angeles, CA) UCLA

Breakdown by school:

Duke 4 (Entire class)
Kentucky 4 (Entire class)
UNC 3 (Entire class)
Kansas 2 (Entire class)
Ohio State 2
UCLA 2
Seton Hall 1
Maryland 1
Stanford 1
Indiana 1
SMU 1 (Entire class)
Undecided 2

Fjordson

Tyler Ulis made it? Good shit. I think he'll be a very good college player eventually.

I don't even know what to think about our class next year, though. This year has left me completely unable to gauge recruits. After every writer and analyst on the planet said we had one of the greatest recruiting classes coming in this year and now we're struggling in a bad SEC. You really just never know with freshmen I guess.

The only positive is that maybe we get some more kids back than originally expected. Outside of Randle of course, he's gone no matter what.

Silkworm

Oh fuck. Florida preparing to drive a freight train over the entire SEC.

What a great turn of events, having Walker's situation finally cleared. But don't worry, I don't think he's going to make an immediate impact. As talented as he is, he still needs a lot of time to work himself into the flow of the team (he's been practicing but that's not the same thing as playing in a real game). I'm glad he's finally available and hopefully he will give Young some needed minutes of rest. Anyway, I'm hoping Walker will get progressively better over the rest of the season and can offer some meaningful minutes to the team come SEC and NCAA tournament time. Really happy for Walker and hope he doesn't put too much pressure on himself to try to immediately make up for the time he's missed.

Top Bottom