• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-2014 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT|

inm8num2

Iowa-cheerleader.gif

Fjordson

In Left Coast news:

Arizona eeked one out against Stanford tonight to extend their winning streak to 21, and you don't care about ASU-Cal.
Just finished watching that. More gutsy play from Nick Johnson down the stretch for Az.

Must be nice to get quality road wins in close games. I don't really know about that =[

bachikarn

What a great turn of events, having Walker's situation finally cleared. But don't worry, I don't think he's going to make an immediate impact. As talented as he is, he still needs a lot of time to work himself into the flow of the team (he's been practicing but that's not the same thing as playing in a real game). I'm glad he's finally available and hopefully he will give Young some needed minutes of rest. Anyway, I'm hoping Walker will get progressively better over the rest of the season and can offer some meaningful minutes to the team come SEC and NCAA tournament time. Really happy for Walker and hope he doesn't put too much pressure on himself to try to immediately make up for the time he's missed.

He is going to play meaningful minutes. Billy loves sandbagging our players in interviews to motivate them. At the very least, he is extremely athletic and will get plenty of opportunities against most pitiful SEC teams. He will also make an impact in rebounding and shot blocking.

Just finished watching that. More gutsy play from Nick Johnson down the stretch for Az.

Must be nice to get quality road wins in close games. I don't really know about that =[

NJ has been the only consistent offensive threat for U of A. Gordon has been complete booty buttcheeks the past two weeks (seriously, one of the worst shooting performances tonight I've ever seen while watching Arizona basketball (which admittedly hasn't been that long (7 years (4th parenthetical)))). Outside of Johnson, Arizona only has two guys who can hit a spot up jumper outside of 15 feet with any consistency in Ashley and York, and the free throw shooting tonight, which is paramount to this teams success, was awful. It's really amazing how a team this bad at shooting is this good at winning.

Box Score Edit:

FG: 18-50 36%
3FG: 6-14 43% ahmadinejad.jpg
FT: 18-29 62%

DarkFlow

Banned
NJ has been the only consistent offensive threat for U of A. Gordon has been complete booty buttcheeks the past two weeks (seriously, one of the worst shooting performances tonight I've ever seen while watching Arizona basketball (which admittedly hasn't been that long (7 years (4th parenthetical)))). Outside of Johnson, Arizona only has two guys who can hit a spot up jumper outside of 15 feet with any consistency in Ashley and York, and the free throw shooting tonight, which is paramount to this teams success, was awful. It's really amazing how a team this bad at shooting is this good at winning.

Box Score Edit:

It's all about that D. If they were not so good locking down other teams, they would be pretty bad.

Fjordson

Box Score Edit:

So it sounds like you're an Arizona fan? Fun fact about Aaron Gordon: I live out here in the Bay Area and my brother played in the same league in high school as Aaron Gordon's school (Archbishop Mitty). Had to play against him multiple times ever year and my brother got to know him a little bit. Said he was super nice and a beast to play against.

He is struggling a bit on offense, but he seems like a good teammate. Plays good defense, gets putbacks, hustles, etc. Though I worry a bit about his pro prospects. Looks like a tweener without a dependable jumpshot.

It's all about that D. If they were not so good locking down other teams, they would be pretty bad.

Their length and athleticism allows them to do pretty much whatever the fuck they want to on the defensive end, but by running such a shallow lineup (only 3 guys in the post rotation) teams find success throwing it inside and drawing fouls in the paint (see Utah and Stanford the past two games). Overall, the worst case scenario for this team is the #1 seed in the West, which is really fucking cool, but if we run into a healthy Michigan State or Syracuse in the tourney, I'm not sure about our chances.
So it sounds like you're an Arizona fan? Fun fact about Aaron Gordon: I live out here in the Bay Area and my brother played in the same league in high school as Aaron Gordon's school (Archbishop Mitty). Had to play against him multiple times ever year and my brother got to know him a little bit. Said he was super nice and a beast to play against.

He is struggling a bit on offense, but he seems like a good teammate. Plays good defense, gets putbacks, hustles, etc. Though I worry a bit about his pro prospects. Looks like a tweener without a dependable jumpshot.

Yeah, I remember you telling me about Gordon and your bro earlier in the thread/year, should've responded! And yeah I agree with you on his strengths, he's a crazy athlete, and he's great as a garbage man, but when you run plays for him (which we do, a lot) there's a good chance he'll rush himself and throw up a heavily contested shot, which takes away his greatest strength as an offensive rebounder. Honestly, if I had to peg anyone on this Arizona team as a successful pro, it'd be Hollis-Jefferson. Great length, above-average athleticism for a player at the next level, good instincts, has all the tools to be a great perimeter defender. His offensive game comes and goes, and he can't shoot the ball worth a shit, but he's got a nice handle, knows how to drive/get fouled, and actually shoots free throws at a decent clip.

DarkFlow

Banned
Their length and athleticism allows them to do pretty much whatever the fuck they want to on the defensive end, but by running such a shallow lineup (only 3 guys in the post rotation) teams find success throwing it inside and drawing fouls in the paint (see Utah and Stanford the past two games). Overall, the worst case scenario for this team is the #1 seed in the West, which is really fucking cool, but if we run into a healthy Michigan State or Syracuse in the tourney, I'm not sure about our chances.

I think they could get the Elite 8 with ease, after that it's a toss up really.

Silkworm

He is going to play meaningful minutes. Billy loves sandbagging our players in interviews to motivate them. At the very least, he is extremely athletic and will get plenty of opportunities against most pitiful SEC teams. He will also make an impact in rebounding and shot blocking.

Oh I agree, he'll play some meaningful minutes eventually (and yes Billy does love to sandbag *hah*). I just get a little worried that there are all these pent up expectations by him and others due to his lengthy suspension. He probably has the talent to overcome some of his inexperience but I just hope things go smoothly so that he doesn't get too frustrated at first. Beal in his one year with the Gators contributed so much to the team and did so rather quickly, but not every player is going to have the maturity and skill set that Beal had. Anyway, I'm just happy that things can now move forward with Walker and I wish him the best. Wish his first game was against an easier SEC opponent than Missouri but that's just how it is (and at least it's a home game so the crowd can show their support for Walker).

Apparently the average tickets for that Duke-Cuse game are going for almost $1000 in the secondary markets.

I understand that everyone wants to pop shots at Duke, but they might going a bit too hard over a regular season game right now.

What is this for?

Nike Hyper Elite Jerseys. Another one of those "We'll wear these for one game and then never wear them again, but people will still buy them because they're suckers" jerseys. For example, Duke is wearing theirs during the Traitors' last visit to Cameron (Feb.15).

Fjordson

ike Hyper Elite Jerseys. Another one of those "We'll wear these for one game and then never wear them again, but people will still buy them because they're suckers" jerseys. For example, Duke is wearing theirs during the Traitors' last visit to Cameron (Feb.15).
Ah, I see. Think they all look pretty good, though the mismatched shorts for OSU, Oregon and Syracuse look kinda weird.

I'm just glad Nike seems to always avoid all the bizarre camo pattern shit that Adidas puts on everything.

Silkworm

Well UF wins another ugly SEC road game, this time against MSU. But a win is a win :) At least now they'll get to play 3 home games before playing at Tennessee and UK (two very tough places to play). Go Gators!

Broank

Nice win and nice to get to 10-0 in the B10. Should have been by a lot more if we didn't have a gazillion careless turnovers and could make a freaking one and one at the end but I'll take it after all the craziness the last couple days.

Fjordson

I just saw this GIF for the first time:

COACH-CAL-SHOVE.gif

That shit is hilarious. Calipari literally running onto the court pushing his point guard into the right spot.

I'm honestly perplexed by the Harrison twins. Calipari has gotten great guard play for years. Dating back to his days at Memphis. And scouts and writers all over the place were lauding the Harrisons as legit prospects for this year. Not sure what's gone wrong with them so far. I mean they've improved without a doubt, but there's been almost no consistency with them thus far.

I actually think James Young may be our best pro prosect with Randle. He needs to work on his passing and he loses his man on defense sometimes in a bad way, but the dude is smooth as hell and has been our most consistent scorer.

Crisco

Banned
Hey, Carolina fans, is McAdoo a good basketball player yet or is his offensive game still limited to dunks in transition?

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Listening to ESPN U's CBB podcast. Nothing funnier than hearing Seth Greenberg rip on a teams resume and scheduling. In this case he was talking about OSU and he's not even wrong but it's just funny coming from Greenberg.

Katz did point out that OSU kind of got screwed by Marquette and ND sucking more than they should.

Top Bottom