• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-2014 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT|

I'm not sure if you're suggesting it but it seems like you think ISU is in on some shady deal.

I've been following the Vaughn recruitment for years because we don't get this type of high-caliber recruit to seriously consider often. It's happened before, but we've come up short. Hoiberg has been in on this recruit since Vaughn was a Freshman in high school. Fred wasn't even the head coach at ISU when he first met him, he was in the front office with the Timberwolves in Vaughn's home state looking for top talent. When Fred got the job in Ames, he immediately went to Vaughn. Vaughn loved his visit to UNC when he went last year (because he really enjoyed his visit but his parents didn't go on it with him) but his parents told him to take more visits to other schools before he committed to make sure. He did. This year (in his 4th year of being recruited by Fred) he took his OV the night ISU beat a 7th ranked Michigan team on ESPN. Dickie V had his first trip to Ames. Johnny Orr (former head coach of ISU and Michigan) made his last appearance before his death a month later. We were unranked and didn't know how good our team was at the time and we stormed the court. Rashad Vaughn was there for all of it. Since then he's had nothing but great things to say about ISU. He tweets Fred and his wife. His mother supposedly really likes Fred.

He's also a perfect fit for the system Fred runs - it's fast paced, NBA-style, and he gives all of his players the freedom to shoot. It showed in last night's 3OT win. Naz hadn't made a three in 3 games but he knew he played for a player's coach that wouldn't be mad if he had the open shot and he took it. Morris nails a three from the corner when all we needed was a two at the time to seal the win. We ended up needing all of the points but Morris pulled the trigger because he felt comfortable. Vaughn then comes out the day after one of the best two games of college hoops played this year and says he's made his decision. Right after Fred's system; one he would fit into perfectly as we need his position badly and he's one of the top scorers in the class, was on national display the night before.

I typed all that out because it's been a long road for ISU fans with this recruit and if we don't get him, it's not for lack of trying. The ISU staff did absolutely everything in their power to get what would be our biggest recruit in program history. I think what got me was the allusion to ISU (possibly) getting him due to some backdoor deal. It couldn't possibly be that ISU just got picked over UNC? I found the statement disingenuous and it obviously rubbed me the wrong way. I don't even know if you're a Tar Heel, you pry aren't.

Anyway, go 'Clones. Hoiball, yo.

Of course, its fully possible that he just wants to go to ISU or UNLV.

Unfortunately he's not the first and won't be the last guy we hear rumors about where the entire recruiting process wasn't on the up and up. I would be saying the same thing if he ended up going to Kentucky or UNC or Kansas too. Hell Duke probably has skeletons in their closet if you look hard enough. It's just the nature of how the recruiting game goes these days.

And no, I'm about the furthest thing from a Tar Heel.

DominoKid

flopping is just part of the game now. it makes me laugh more than it makes me angry. and it gives me yet another thing to crack on lebron for.

On this episode of Cal Too Real

A couple of times a year, Coach Cal will say something that will spread through headlines all around the blogosphere. After No. 18 Kentucky’s win over Ole Miss on Tuesday night, Coach Cal called the Wildcats the “most overanalyzed team I’ve ever seen in the history of the game, at any level, in any sport”, which is, of course, not accurate.

Do you really think that the general public cared about this team as much as, say, the Heat the first year that LeBron teamed up with D-Wade and Chris Bosh? Does Skip Bayless use the Wildcats as a talking point every chance he gets a la Tim Tebow?

Locally, it may actually be true, but that’s more a critique of his fan base than anything. Big Blue Nation loves their ‘Cats more than anyone else in the world loves anything. When it’s game day, they want previews. When the game’s over, they want every possession broken down and analyzed.

Prior to the start of Cal’s title-winning season, he gave this quote: “We do more than move the needle. We are the needle.” That’s true. Kentucky fans drive more internet traffic than any fan base in the country. So he gets it. He shouldn’t be surprised that there are websites breaking down every possession from every game that his team plays.

The guys that he brings into the program should understand that as well.

It’s what you sign up for when you go there.

He certainly won't endear himself to opposing fanbases with these monthly whine sessions.

Fjordson

I've seen so many stories today about that. Don't these media guys see that they're playing right into Calipari's hands :lol

Eamon Brennan of ESPN seems to be the only writer who saw what was underneath Cal's rant.

Minnesota keeps getting the short end of the stick with the refs. So many fouls by Purdue that weren't called. Total BS. In a triple OT game that definitely made the difference. Dumbass color-analyst in the 3rd OT praised the refs...I give up.

jakncoke

Banned
Watching the game now because I was sleeping when it was live. Man this team really wants to take years off my life.

edit; just noticed ACC adapted to Big East style tourney. making those back to back losses even more important. gotta get dat double bye!

What do you guys think about this Florida #1 stuff? I just don't buy it and honestly don't get why they are so highly ranked. Weak conference, not much of a resume out of conference besides the Kansas win(1 good win).

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Minnesota keeps getting the short end of the stick with the refs. So many fouls by Purdue that weren't called. Total BS. In a triple OT game that definitely made the difference. Dumbass color-analyst in the 3rd OT praised the refs...I give up.

Yeah a co-worker(Illini fan) was just telling me about all the shitty calls that went against you guys.

bachikarn

What do you guys think about this Florida #1 stuff? I just don't buy it and honestly don't get why they are so highly ranked. Weak conference, not much of a resume out of conference besides the Kansas win(1 good win).

We are currently #5 on KenPom. I'd def argue Memphis was a good win, and we played Wisconsin and UConn on the road close despite several injuries and suspensions. Those opponents don't look that great now, but did before. I can understand the skepticism, but who would you rank higher?

10 minutes in and Arizona is playing like a team that didn't just lose one of their most important pieces in Brandon Ashley. Offense is clicking, guys look comfortable in their roles, but what's really impressing me is the energy. The team looks completely focused, guys who were perennial benchwarmers have hit shots and really got the crowd involved. Still can't hit free throws, but overall much better than I was expecting.

Oregon

reggie-miller-choke-o.gif

Yeah a co-worker(Illini fan) was just telling me about all the shitty calls that went against you guys.

Thanks for the comment from an objective source. It was seriously the worst officiated college BB game I've watched. Minnesota got away with some stuff too but nowhere near the level of Purdue.

KingGondo

Banned
Recruits are officially jumping off the OSU/Travis Ford train.

Austin Grandstaff (2015 4* SG) has decommitted, although we're apparently "still being considered" (yeah right).

Kid is averaging in the high 20 PPG range in 5A in Texas, so I'm guessing that our recent shittiness plus the chance at a scholarship offer from a blueblood program did us in.

#FIREFORD

Recruits are officially jumping off the OSU/Travis Ford train.

Austin Grandstaff (2015 4* SG) has decommitted, although we're apparently "still being considered" (yeah right).

Kid is averaging in the high 20 PPG range in 5A in Texas, so I'm guessing that our recent shittiness plus the chance at a scholarship offer from a blueblood program did us in.

#FIREFORD

There's definitely mutual interest between him and Duke.

That Texas pipeline is real (Sulaimon, Jones, and Winslow are all from there)

Silkworm

He'd be idiotic not to take an offer from Duke over OSU, especially considering the current state of our program.

I haven't been paying close attention, but what's wrong with the OSU program? Is everything heading south once Smart leaves, i.e. no strong recruits to bolster the program after Smart's departure? Or is it some other systematic problem? Just curious. Thanks!

KingGondo

Banned
I haven't been paying close attention, but what's wrong with the OSU program? Is everything heading south once Smart leaves, i.e. no strong recruits to bolster the program after Smart's departure? Or is it some other systematic problem? Just curious. Thanks!

Its that Ford sucks.
This. Ford is the biggest problem.

We've had good recruiting since he's been here, but the kids either don't develop as planned, leave early for whatever reason, and he has yet to implement a solid system. He's been here for 6 years and I still have no idea what "Travis Ford Basketball" is supposed to look like.

Right now, we have 6 decent scholarship players, and that's being generous.

Smart, Brown, and possibly Nash are leaving next season, so the cupboard is bare.

To add to that, our AD stupidly gave him a 10-year contract, so his buyout is massive. :(

jakncoke

Banned
Looks like Pitt fans decided that getting out bed to go support your team at noon vs va tech was more than they wanted to do

cam, im being cereal. STAHP SHOOTING 3'S

I wanna kick the announcers in the shin. "they have yet to turn over the ball thus far" 2 straight turnovers right after..

DominoKid

Gameday had me cracking up when they were going in on how stupid it is that college ball is the only place in the game w/ a 35 shot clock. Even the women play at 30 ffs.

They need to drop that shit to 24. It aint like college players get good shots and effective ball movement at 30 seconds. Speed it up.

jakncoke

Banned
Gameday had me cracking up when they were going in on how stupid it is that college ball is the only place in the game w/ a 35 shot clock. Even the women play at 30 ffs.

They need to drop that shit to 24. It aint like college players get good shots and effective ball movement at 30 seconds. Speed it up.

Pretty much.

va tech zone is killing us and patterson is basically mia

thumb injury i guess. missing badly though with his 3 attempts

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

Fuck that. Go watch the NBA if that is what you want.

jakncoke

Banned
Man this team. We might lose to Va tech.. at home.. hell even in general that sounds bad. feels bad. We're basically sitting around the perimeter doing fuck all. Not sure how we have a lead, prob because va tech sucks. Likes the last possession for them 5.4 seconds left in the half they start passing around and finally shoot 3 seconds after the buzzer from 30 ft

Silkworm

UF so far hasn't been especially sharp in their defense of Bama. All tied at 36 at the half. I'm hoping UF's defense clamps down on Releford in the 2nd half and pulls away in the 2nd half. UF had a similarly slow start against Missouri and still won comfortably. The game is in Gainesville so I'm fairly confident that the Gators will get this things turned around in their favor.

inm8num2

I'm actually predicting a win today! No way we lose 3 in a row at home, right?

.......RIGHT??? ;_;

You'll have Spartan Nation rooting for you, that's for sure. :)

I think you guys can pull it off. Michigan isn't great at rebounding, and unless they're hot from outside the art you can grind them down.

Servbot24

Banned
You'll have Spartan Nation rooting for you, that's for sure. :)

I think you guys can pull it off. Michigan isn't great at rebounding, and unless they're hot from outside the art you can grind them down.

rebounding was a huge problem last time we played them. so many wild rebounds that went right to them. not that i'm blaming the loss on luck, but we do need some things to go our way this time.

jakncoke

Banned
Who is a conductor in here. Please run me over with the biggest train you have.

edit; jesus.

EDIT; we look so bad

PATTERSON FUCKING SUCKS TODAY. WHY IS HE IN HE IS INJURED

This fucking team. man. going to lose to some shit school in the 1st game they play in the tourney.

Lamar Patterson being useless and not using Zanna has really killed our offense today.

HOLYS HITS YISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

FUCK YOU EDDIEEEEE

man va tech havent beaten us since 1980 and at pittsburgh since 1967.. if we lose today... fuck the season if we lose today.

OMG OMG OMG OMG

jakncoke

Banned
Going to OT.. vs Va Tech at home.. man Lamar Patterson means so much to this offense. Not to mention Talib Zanna been basically dead to as we've lived outside.

So glad i bought 2 fifths of rum before game. this game has been miserable

Silkworm

Gators win 78-69 over Alabama. Wasn't pretty, but it was a win before a tough stretch. If the game wasn't so close throughout, Walker would have gotten some more minutes that he really needs. Oh well. On to Rocky Top next. I'm fearful that there will be some payback in that game by UTenn.

Notre Dame is a classic example of a shitty team that suddenly turns into the 96 Bulls when Duke comes to town and then reverts back to being shitty after.

Top Bottom