• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 April NBA |OT| Pipe Dreams

giri

That's just the league-provided insurance policy, for which teams don't need to pay for. The Lakers presumably pay for additional insurance, with the same waiting periods. The waiting period is just how long he needs to be injured before insurance says, okay, he's injured, we'll cover the salary, it doesn't mean they don't pay the games during the waiting period.

If there weren't additional insurance and every player was only on the league-provided insurance, teams wouldn't have to discuss insurance premiums when doing trade talks.

http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/blog/inside-front-office.html

Thats a large assumption. And one hell of a way to cherry pick which parts are and aren't related to any insurance contract.

I would think that additional insurance would be more likely for players that were on the list of banned players from the league list, than just top ups. The premium to cover top ups would hardly make it seem worthwhile.

Carmelo Anthony, Tyson Chandler and Kenyon Martin will not play on Monday night in Charlotte, according to the Knicks.

The absences are expected.

The Knicks say Anthony is out due to a sore left shoulder. Anthony said after Sunday's win over the Pacers that he'd probably sit out of the Bobcats game because the matchup is inconsequential for the Knicks.
FUCK YO TANK Dy. Charlotte Bobcats gonna get that win and like it.
There's a chance that Rasheed Wallace will suit up for the Knicks against Charlotte.

Wallace has not played since Dec. 13 due to a stress fracture in his right foot. He had surgery in late February to repair the injury. Wallace has been running for the past few days.

Woodson said Wallace's status for Monday's game was dependent on how he felt on Monday morning.
Considering Knicks just waved Solomon Jones, Sheed is playing one of these last two games. Wonder who'll replace Jones.

man, i haven't heard from 2 of my friends out in Boston. They've done the marathon before...

I don't like this feeling waiting for a response.

My friend's sister was right there at the exact spot, apparently, but left 10 mins before the explosion.

I've had it for like 3 years and have no issues

not the fat slim but the slim slim

this one

ps3_super_slim_done.jpg

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
man, i haven't heard from 2 of my friends out in Boston. They've done the marathon before...

I don't like this feeling waiting for a response.

My friend's sister was right there at the exact spot, apparently, but left 10 mins before the explosion.

The network towers must be completely jammed right now. Just because you can't get a response it doesn't mean that their phone is destroyed, so keep thinking positive.

numble

Thats a large assumption. And one hell of a way to cherry pick which parts are and aren't related to any insurance contract.

I would think that additional insurance would be more likely for players that were on the list of banned players from the league list, than just top ups. The premium to cover top ups would hardly make it seem worthwhile.

That's not a large assumption at all. You take out insurance on million dollar contracts, it just makes business sense to do so, the same way you take out insurance on homes and cars. The premium is cheap because the league already covers $175,000/game for free.

Teams won't let players play in the Olympics unless their contracts are fully insured, so you can assume the Lakers had Kobe's contract fully insured. If USA Basketball, which doesn't have much money, could afford insurance to cover all of Kobe's $60 million remaining contract when he played for them in 2012, the Lakers could afford to insure Kobe's contract, especially since the league already covers $175k/game for free.

FUCK YO TANK Dy. Charlotte Bobcats gonna get that win and like it.

Considering Knicks just waved Solomon Jones, Sheed is playing one of these last two games. Wonder who'll replace Jones.

Bobcats will still lose. I don't know what's the point of Rasheed when we have K-Mart. He's been out for way too long, imo. He could cut him for Birdman.

Haha. Hey I don't really mean to paint all athletes with the same brush.
But accusing one athlete while wearing the jersey of another is pretty near sighted.

oh I know, I was just trying to add to your statement as well

I know who you're quoting and it's not like that person will ever try to be objective anyways

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
omg squats hurt

I want steroids

Hahaha squats will still hurt.

Do you want a steroid gut?

It's a HGH gut, not steroids.

Reason being is growth hormone signals growth throughout the body and there is no way to isolate growth to certain areas. We have receptor sites for hormones throughout our bodies. Sites are in our muscles, organs, joint tissue etc.
Some users results will be excellent muscle growth while maintaining small joints and flat abdominal wall. Other users will wind up with the same muscle growth but with thicker joints and an extended abdominal.

And the gut happens when organ growth reaches an extreme. That user has certainly been seeing diminishing returns long before they realize their bellybottom is about to explode.

Emwitus

Prayers out to the people of boston. What a sad day.

On different note, can the spurs sign a player like dwight? Do they have a cap space? And do you guys think he would fit in a pops system

I finally got ahold of my friends via e-mail.

One of them had VIP tickets to the event and was gonna head down to Copely but opted to wait and go later.

Two people I knew very well were almost in the middle of it all. christ...

I saw Sanjuro post but not Tom Penny or bread. Hope everyone we know out there and their friends/family are safe.

giri

That's not a large assumption at all. You take out insurance on million dollar contracts, it just makes business sense to do so, the same way you take out insurance on homes and cars. The premium is cheap because the league already covers $175,000/game for free.

Teams won't let players play in the Olympics unless their contracts are fully insured, so you can assume the Lakers had Kobe's contract fully insured. If USA Basketball, which doesn't have much money, could afford insurance to cover all of Kobe's $60 million remaining contract when he played for them in 2012, the Lakers could afford to insure Kobe's contract, especially since the league already covers $175k/game for free.

Uhh, insurance companies aren't going out of their way to cover 60M in payments for nickels and dimes.

And it is a large assumption based on your original response that all insurance is handled by the league.

So right now, what we know, is that there's no real details of any insurance contract that the lakers have taken out on kobe, not even when it kicks in, only when the league insurance coverage kicks in.

Horrible news about the Boston stuff. Just horrible.

And I feel weird posting about something else in the same post about a bombing...But why did Paul George win MIP on ESPN when his main difference in play year over year was just taking more shots and making a lower percentage of them? Larry Sanders went from someone who was probably going to be out of the league to one of the top young big men in the league...

my 60 gb ps3 got the ylod

all that backwards compatibility gone, feels bad man

anyone here have experience with the new super slim model

this happened to me a couple months ago

got one of the slim joints and have no complaints

it actually reads some discs that would skip on my old ps3

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
the knicks waived solomon jons huh? I guess we're back on the Delonte West Watch

or do the knicks take the flyer or all flyers and sign stephon jackson now with a team option just to have him next season....

ohNOitsRO

I posted in the boston marathon thread and I felt terrible about my nuclear explosion avatar..

I almost went with a heat themed one, but BB is too good..

exarkun

Just give Timmy DPOTY so we can wrap it up and call it a season.

Nah son, its Marc Gasol's time. Timmy D didn't play enough minutes, although he beasted almost every game he played in. Timmy this season really, really shot up in my books. Haven't seen anything like what he did since Malone, and even then Timmy is better than he was then.

giri

Horrible news about the Boston stuff. Just horrible.

And I feel weird posting about something else in the same post about a bombing...But why did Paul George win MIP on ESPN when his main difference in play year over year was just taking more shots and making a lower percentage of them? Larry Sanders went from someone who was probably going to be out of the league to one of the top young big men in the league...

Don't know.

I wouldn't have put him up as MIP.

Would has said Asik before George.

Steve Popper @StevePopper about 35 minutes ago
Tyson Chandler & Carmelo Anthony placed on the Inactive List (with Amar'e Stoudemire). Marcus Camby & Rasheed Wallace were activated.
Al Iannazzone @Al_Iannazzone about 7 minutes ago
Camby is active but will not play. Raymond Felton won't start and Woodson hopes he won't have to use him tonight..
Woodson unwrapping the bubble wrap off Camby, Sheed will get 10-12 minutes.
Al Iannazzone @Al_Iannazzone about 6 minutes ago
NYK starters: Prigioni, Shumpert, Copeland, James White and Steve Novak.
Enjoy the win Dy!
Frank Isola @FisolaNYDN about 2 hours ago
Carmelo Anthony was named EC player if the week again, beating out LeBron, Paul Pierce and, in theory, Solomon Jones.
lulz

numble

Uhh, insurance companies aren't going out of their way to cover 60M in payments for nickels and dimes.

And it is a large assumption based on your original response that all insurance is handled by the league.

So right now, what we know, is that there's no real details of any insurance contract that the lakers have taken out on kobe, not even when it kicks in, only when the league insurance coverage kicks in.
It is in the CBA that the league handles the minimum insurance of $175,000 per game. Anything additional is paid by the team, or national teams that use the players in the summer.

They aren't going to cover insurance for nickels and dimes, of course, but it would be very lucrative to insure anyway, they make free money when he wasn't injured for the last 17 years, and they are only insuring the extra amount that the league doesn't cover. They've done their calculations to make it worthwhile, the same way it's worthwhile for them to provide insurance to a $30 million house. Ben Gordon's contract was quoted at costing $140k for his country to insure for his Olympics play in the summer, so it's probably several multiples of that. France needed to pay $2.9 million to cover insurance for 5 players, including Tony Parker's $50 million contract. Insurance companies usually come out on top, given the low probability of injuries. You are claiming that the only insurance the Lakers have on Kobe is the league minimum that is provided for free, when everyone would take out insurance on costly liabilities.

I'm in Boston and I'm fine if anyone was wondering.

Posted in the main thread, but my gf was at the finish line when this went down, she and her sister saw the second explosion and called me while on the run from the area. They are both fine. The bar I bounce at (about 1.5 miles from the finish line) was shut down by Boston Police around 345, they did a full sweep of every business on Beacon st. I have to go back to work at Mass General tomorrow, I don't know what to expect.

Vire

Posted in the main thread, but my gf was at the finish line when this went down, she and her sister saw the second explosion and called me while on the run from the area. They are both fine. The bar I bounce at (about 1.5 miles from the finish line) was shut down by Boston Police around 345, they did a full sweep of every business on Beacon st. I have to go back to work at Mass General tomorrow, I don't know what to expect.

Awful...

Very glad to hear that your girlfriend and her sister are safe.

Glad that you and yours are safe.

Vahagn

Hahaha squats will still hurt.

It's a HGH gut, not steroids.

Reason being is growth hormone signals growth throughout the body and there is no way to isolate growth to certain areas. We have receptor sites for hormones throughout our bodies. Sites are in our muscles, organs, joint tissue etc.
Some users results will be excellent muscle growth while maintaining small joints and flat abdominal wall. Other users will wind up with the same muscle growth but with thicker joints and an extended abdominal.

And the gut happens when organ growth reaches an extreme. That user has certainly been seeing diminishing returns long before they realize their bellybottom is about to explode.

So are you a doctor or something? If not, all these wikipedia copy and paste medical explanations of shoes, and injuries, and now HGH would be an epic troll.

And if you're a doctor or athletic trainer or something, awesome.

Top Bottom