• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 April NBA |OT| Pipe Dreams

I imagine they can make some noise.. it will just sound like that of a broom.

the Lakers are 27-12 in their last 39. 55 win pace. Of course, in those games they've had at least Dwight or Pau + Kobe and Nash or Blake in almost all (2 w/o Kobe) unlike the beginning of the year with no Pau, Blake, and Nash (or Hill) and Dwight recovering.

Utah, on the other hand, has been outscored for the season. I think this is the first time since the 2008 Cavs a team has a winning record despite being outscored. Their record is an unfortunate bit of randomness, they should be 40-40 at best.

It's time for Minnesota to right things!

Darkman M

FYI, on those Brooks shoes i was looking at.

It's true, the heal cushioning was very soft, and the forefoot was really stiff. I get why people say they "feel faster". For heal first runners, they would land soft, and roll into the very stiff foresole, and in their push off, they wouldn't be sinking into a whole bunch of padding. Though i think a lot of them would probably end up with foot cramps for the first few weeks.

For a forefoot runner though, it wasn't very good. Was a very weird shoe as it gave minimal support.

Got a pair of Vomero 7's online for half price instead :D

In the east.

Who would you swap them with? 15 each conference.

BTW, Lakers win tonight guaranteed a better record than the Celtics. Gotta take those small victories whenever possible.

Contract one of the eastern teams (Charlotte or Milwaukee), shift the Grizzlies to the east, reinstate the Sonics with the contracted team in the west.

giri

If I got this right, it's 15 to 14, not 14 to 14.

You'd need to contract 2 East teams, then move gizz to the East to get 14-14.

No, the contracted east team is replaced by the grizz.

The grizz are replaced by the sonics expansion.

in that theory.

team-map-nba.jpg

Whilst the grizz being in the west is dumb.... they are one of the 15 westernmost teams.

diehard

Fleer
the Lakers are 27-12 in their last 39. 55 win pace. Of course, in those games they've had at least Dwight or Pau + Kobe and Nash or Blake in almost all (2 w/o Kobe) unlike the beginning of the year with no Pau, Blake, and Nash (or Hill) and Dwight recovering.

Utah, on the other hand, has been outscored for the season. I think this is the first time since the 2008 Cavs a team has a winning record despite being outscored. Their record is an unfortunate bit of randomness, they should be 40-40 at best.

It's time for Minnesota to right things!

um, cool?

No, the contracted east team is replaced by the grizz.

The grizz are replaced by the sonics expansion.

in that theory.

team-map-nba.jpg

Whilst the grizz being in the west is dumb.... they are one of the 15 westernmost teams.

oh, i see, he said "contracted west team" so I thought he meant some team out West disappeared (when he meant replace the Grizz spot with Sonics).

Basically, move the Bobcats to Seattle and have them swap conferences.

But the Lakers have a worse SRS in the last couple months.

You should start tapering off now.

The Lakers have a worse SRS now than when they were 9 games below .500?

The highest non-Heat SRS out east is almost 4 Is it that hard to imagine a 1.5 SRS beating a 4?

Man Kobe getting inured makes it hard to even be that happy about the win. Definitely pulling for this team til the end but it's always tough going out without your best shot.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
FYI, on those Brooks shoes i was looking at.

It's true, the heal cushioning was very soft, and the forefoot was really stiff. I get why people say they "feel faster". For heal first runners, they would land soft, and roll into the very stiff foresole, and in their push off, they wouldn't be sinking into a whole bunch of padding. Though i think a lot of them would probably end up with foot cramps for the first few weeks.

For a forefoot runner though, it wasn't very good. Was a very weird shoe as it gave minimal support.

Got a pair of Vomero 7's online for half price instead :D

In the east.

Well at least now you know. Did you actually get to try them for a run or just in the store?
Vomero is a great shoe though. So it's not like you compromised anything. The Ghost wasn't for me either. Too sloppy for me as far as torsion control is concerned.

giri

Well at least now you know. Did you actually get to try them for a run or just in the store?
Vomero is a great shoe though. So it's not like you compromised anything. The Ghost wasn't for me either. Too sloppy for me as far as torsion control is concerned.

Only in store, and the sales assistant almost had a heart attack when i ran about 20 paces then came back.

And yeah, i get the sloppy comment.

I was more impressed that i managed to pay less than American RRP for the Vomero's, delivered. V.Happy with that.

Vahagn

If Kobe doesn't play a single minute next season and collects 30 million. I don't really think anyone would have a problem with that. Jim Buss included.

giri

If Kobe doesn't play a single minute next season and collects 30 million. I don't really think anyone would have a problem with that. Jim Buss included.

I'd say they should amnesty him then, but i think you can only amnesty players in the first 2 years of the new CBA. After that, you're stuck with them.

Remember, that 30M is more like 60M.

paully

Banned
I'd say they should amnesty him then, but i think you can only amnesty players in the first 2 years of the new CBA. After that, you're stuck with them.

There's a decent possibility that Kobe will play near the beginning of next season. Not sure why people are still talking about this amnesty thing.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
When Chris Hansen isnt catching pedophiles he is doubling the market values of NBA franchises

Nope. Can Amnesty any time as long as the contract was pre-CBA, which Kobe's was.

Also, it's not $60M because if Kobe doesn't play, insurance covers pretty much the whole contract, so it's just the LT hit they gotta pay. If they amnesty, they have to pay the $30 mil regardless and without insurance.

giri

Nope. Can Amnesty any time as long as the contract was pre-CBA, which Kobe's was.

Also, it's not $60M because if Kobe doesn't play, insurance covers pretty much the whole contract, so it's just the LT hit they gotta pay. If they amnesty, they have to pay the $30 mil regardless and without insurance.

Why would amnestying him void the insurance portion? that seems... odd.

I guess to get a proper answer you'd have to look at the insurance contracts wording, but i find that really... odd.

Read it was 80 somewhere

i think that's their whole tax bill

Vahagn

I'm not talking about the whole cost to the lakers. If they keep him, insurance covers most the 30 and they pay like 80 million in LT. Proposterous.

I'm just saying, people talking about athletes making millions while not playing, stealing money from teams as it were. I think in Kobe's case, not many people would complain about him earning 30 million next year even without a minute of playing time.

Like if he decided to retire and the team just flat bought his contract out this summer and gave him 30 million, I don't think it would be comparable to other buyouts or "robberies" in most peoples minds because of his contributions thus far in his career and the fact the injury was probably brought on by him killing himself for the team.

Edit: for the record I agree he should be amnestied and should retire. I was one of the few people who said that right away, even before Simmons tweeted it the next morning. Then I found out he might be back before the season starts at 80-90%. Unless LA can re-sign Dwight, Fill up their bench with better talent, Kobe can come back within the first month of the season at an Alll Star level, and the team decides to try one more run at a ring, it doesn't make sense to spend 100 million on Kobe next season. If he's gonna miss more than 15 games or come back as anything other than Kobe, the team should buy him out or amnesty him. He should take a full year to get better. In 2014 he should sign for the MLE if LA can get Bron and if not, sign for about 10 million along with about 7 million for Pau and let Kobe/Nash/Dwight/Pau have one last crack before Kobe and Nash retire. That's what I would like to see happen personally.

Vahagn

LA this season is 36-12 when they allow less than a 105 points:

1) That means teams have scored over a 104 points in 33 games. Damn that's porous defense

2) That's pretty remarkable. Not too many middle of the pack teams with that kinda crazy winning record when teams score that many points against them.

3) Kobe Lakers could probably give up 100-104 and still win the game, this Non Kobe Laker team probably has to keep teams under 92-93 PPG to win games with any kind of consistency.

LA this season is 36-12 when they allow less than a 105 points:

1) That means teams have scored over a 104 points in 33 games. Damn that's porous defense

2) That's pretty remarkable. Not too many middle of the pack teams with that kinda crazy winning record when teams score that many points against them.

3) Kobe Lakers could probably give up 100-104 and still win the game, this Non Kobe Laker team probably has to keep teams under 92-93 PPG to win games with any kind of consistency.

I think with Nash the team should still score 100 consistently.

Pau, Dwight, MWP, and Nash should combine for 65-70. Jamison, Meeks, Blake, Clark, and Morris (if he must play) should combine for 30-35.

I guess to get a proper answer you'd have to look at the insurance contracts wording, but i find that really... odd.

Because the Amnesty happens in July and insurance doesn't kick in until after the season or X games are missed. If you Amnesty, you don't allow for that option. When a contract is waived, it ends then and there (maybe you'd be right if someone placed a bid but I'm thinking of no one picking him up).

Also, he meant 80%, not $80 mil

edit: Which theater does Dwight go to, Kaeptain?

numble

Insurance is spelt out in the CBA, you don't need to look at each contract:
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q71
If an insured player is disabled, there is a 41 game waiting period, after which the insurance company pays 80% of the guaranteed portion of the player's base salary, up to $175,000 per regular season game.

If you amnesty, you pay the contract and the player is no longer on your roster. If you want insurance to cover costs, the player must be on your roster and missing games while on the roster.

Top Bottom