• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 April NBA |OT| Pipe Dreams

Vahagn

I can't fucking stand it when people use times of tragedy to mock or push some kind of political agenda.

A) Who's trying to do that? I'm not keeping up.

B) Politicians are supposed to use moments to push agendas because that's when the nations consciousness is receptive to that. As much as it's tasteless a lot of the time. Things like the Birmingham, Alabama church bombing in which 4 little girls were killed is widely historically recognized as the turning point of the civil rights movement. That precise point where lawmakers who wanted to push for civil rights were able to capitalize on the nation's collective guilt to say "ok enough is enough" and work on getting something passed.

So while, a lot of times it's sick. There are plenty of times in history where that kind of thing are used by politicians in a constructive way.

A) Who's trying to do that? I'm not keeping up.

B) Politicians are supposed to use moments to push agenda's because that's when the nations consciousness is receptive to that. As much as it's tasteless a lot of the time. Things like the Birmingham, Alabama church bombing in which 4 little girls were killed is widely historically recognized as the turning point of the civil rights movement. That precise point where lawmakers who wanted to push for civil rights were able to capitalize on the nation's collective guilt to say "ok enough is enough" and work on getting something passed.

So while, a lot of times it's sick. There are plenty of times in history where that kind of thing are used by politicians in a constructive way.

I've lived in Texas most of my life so, it's a few of the conservative friends I have on Facebook, not actual politicians. I should probably have specified that. Not that I have anything against somebody's political beliefs, I don't like to generalize myself, but being overly conservative/liberal is downright annoying

You're right about the 2nd point---my mindset is just that I'd prefer to tell these people "Shut the fuck up, no one cares what YOU think, and you've probably got a friend who might have somebody impacted by this so your snarky shit isn't exactly appropriate right now"

Vahagn

I've lived in Texas most of my life so, it's a few of the conservative friends I have on Facebook, not actual politicians. I should probably have specified that. Not that I have anything against somebody's political beliefs, I don't like to generalize myself, but being overly conservative/liberal is downright annoying

You're right about the 2nd point---my mindset is just that I'd prefer to tell these people "Shut the fuck up, no one cares what YOU think, and you've probably got a friend who might have somebody impacted by this so your snarky shit isn't exactly appropriate right now"

Oh yea. Normal Citizens? Yea that's cowardly.

Professional Politicians though? That's kinda their job.

just listened to Simmons' podcast from today. Man he just kept trying to push the "D'Antoni's fault!" narrative no matter how many times Zack Lowe had to tell him that overuse or overcompensation have no correlation with achilles injuries. I love when he threw out the "BUt I've played sports all of my life...." as a qualifier too. Like YMCA pick up games make you an expert lol.

Anyway, on to the amnesty/Kobe talk. The one thing Lowe pointed out was that if the Lakers amnesty Kobe, they can resign him in 2014, but only for the vets minimum. So you'd be asking Kobe to not only take the year off, but then come back for $2 million. Odds of that happening are probably nil. Lakers FO are in a tough spot because of the uncertainty of the injury. If Kobe can come back, somehow, by Dec/Jan, even if its at 70% of his usual self, you have to give him that chance I think. If his injury takes 12 months to recover, you are screwed and might as well amnesty him. Problem is it's too soon to tell how his recovery will go and how soon he can try and get back. Not an enviable position.

From their musings though, I did think of how crazy it could end up if the Lakers brass decide to punt next season, resign Dwight, fire D'Antoni and replace him with Shaw or some other interim guy, finish in the lottery and then focus on 2014 and a free agency rebuild. There is almost no chance of it happening because everything would have to break exactly right, but imagine the best case of 2014 of the Lakers having Dwight, Lebron, Wiggins, old man Kobe and Phil back to coach...just to see the league reactions would be insane.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
just listened to Simmons' podcast from today. Man he just kept trying to push the "D'Antoni's fault!" narrative no matter how many times Zack Lowe had to tell him that overuse or overcompensation have no correlation with achilles injuries. I love when he threw out the "BUt I've played sports all of my life...." as a qualifier too. Like YMCA pick up games make you an expert lol.

Anyway, on to the amnesty/Kobe talk. The one thing Lowe pointed out was that if the Lakers amnesty Kobe, they can resign him in 2014, but only for the vets minimum. So you'd be asking Kobe to not only take the year off, but then come back for $2 million. Odds of that happening are probably nil. Lakers FO are in a tough spot because of the uncertainty of the injury. If Kobe can come back, somehow, by Dec/Jan, even if its at 70% of his usual self, you have to give him that chance I think. If his injury takes 12 months to recover, you are screwed and might as well amnesty him. Problem is it's too soon to tell how his recovery will go and how soon he can try and get back. Not an enviable position.

From their musings though, I did think of how crazy it could end up if the Lakers brass decide to punt next season, resign Dwight, fire D'Antoni and replace him with Shaw or some other interim guy, finish in the lottery and then focus on 2014 and a free agency rebuild. There is almost no chance of it happening because everything would have to break exactly right, but imagine the best case of 2014 of the Lakers having Dwight, Lebron, Wiggins, old man Kobe and Phil back to coach...just to see the league reactions would be insane.

The biggest reason why the Lakers won't amnesty Kobe: they can't market him. No jersey sales, no ads, no images, no video, nothing.

What a pipe dream.

Vahagn

The bolded only happens if LA is in luxury tax territory that year. But they won't be. in 2014 the only people on the books will be Nash/Dwight assuming he re-signs. Only way LA gets above the cap without signing Kobe is if they get another max player like Lebron or something. In which case, If LA has Dwight/Nash/Lebron and Kobe just made 30 million for sitting out for a year, I think he takes the MLE or something to come back and pass up Jordan in points and the chance to pass him up in rings.

If we don't get Bron and just have Nash/Dwight. I could see Kobe and Pau coming back for 8-10 million a piece. That's my hope anyway.

What a pipe dream.

It's technically possible, but oddly enough I think the hardest part of that would be to convince Kobe to come back for $2.5 million.

Lakers are really at a crossroads if they can't get a good idea of how Kobe's recovery will go in the next few months. 6-12 months is a huge range.

If we don't get Bron and just have Nash/Dwight. I could see Kobe and Pau coming back for 8-10 million a piece. That's my hope anyway.

Why the fuck would you want to run with the 2013 Lakers again in 2015?

It's technically possible, but oddly enough I think the hardest part of that would be to convince Kobe to come back for $2.5 million.

Lakers are really at a crossroads if they can't get a good idea of how Kobe's recovery will go in the next few months. 6-12 months is a huge range.

I don't think Kobe will want to go anywhere else.

What would it take to get Nash from the Lakers this offseason? (rather go with him than Jose Calderon for the next two years even if Nash wasn't very good this year)

I don't think Kobe will want to go anywhere else.

I think he'll retire if he's only worth $2.5 million. That's why I honestly think next year will be Kobe's last either way and he'll make the future decision for them. If he can miraculously recover in 6-8 months and come back for the 2nd half of the season, he'll at least get to go out on his own terms, if it takes 12 months he'll probably realize that he's too old for this shit and retire anyway.

Vahagn

Ideally we'd get a young superstar in FA. But I doubt that happens. The Heat are on another world right now, there has to be some serious drama for that team to split up in a year. Dwight, CP3, Deron, Rose, Durant, Westbrook are all locked up and won't be FA's that year either.

I don't think Rubio or Irving will be FA's then either. Not saying it's the best case scenario, but with Kobe/Pau making about 30 million less than they do now, we'd presumably have money to get a really deep bench

juwan howard......................

2014-2015 Lakers
fixd
You're bad at the internet.
image.php

Vire

Cleavland literally playing against D-leaguers.

Chris Anderson shooting asshole threes...

This has been pretty entertaining and a decent distraction from today's events.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
So are you a doctor or something? If not, all these wikipedia copy and paste medical explanations of shoes, and injuries, and now HGH would be an epic troll.

And if you're a doctor or athletic trainer or something, awesome.

I am an athletic trainer, sport skill development coach, sports nutritionist/ supplement expert, and have started coaching ball recently.

So I'm not trolling. If anything I find it embarrassing to tell my whole story and usually only bring up background knowledge when it's important.

For instance I just sat in front of my computer for well over an hour giving a breakdown of where I have acquired my knowledge and I'm not gonna post it now. I will save it as a word doc and put it on my site once its up. Some good stories though. One highlight: I have had supper with the man that introduced creatine to the market.

I promise though that anything I say regarding science of sports, training, injury prevention is backed up by knowledge and not just some off the cuff opinion.

Top Bottom