• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 April NBA |OT| Pipe Dreams

Stop trying to lure juniors onto your couch.

l.jpg

On the gaming side

Two Kotaku sources have added more credence to the rumor that the next Xbox, expected to battle the PlayStation 4 in late 2013 or early 2014, will be an always-online system, though it will be able to tolerate dropped connections.

"Unless something has changed recently," one of the sources told us over email, "Durango consumer units must have an active internet connection to be used."

Durango is the codename for the next-gen Xbox.

"If there isn't a connection, no games or apps can be started," the source continued. "If the connection is interrupted then after a period of time--currently three minutes, if I remember correctly--the game/app is suspended and the network troubleshooter started."

linsivvi

People will rationalize that their connections are always on and many will buy it anyway.

To me, that just means one less console to consider spending money on.

jjasper

Windows ME, Windows Vista, and Ribbon UI say "yes".

I guess it is true that the XBOX brand is the anomaly and pretty much everything else MS has made has been pretty garbage. Guess it was only a matter of time till it went to shit as well.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I guess it is true that the XBOX brand is the anomaly and pretty much everything else MS has made has been pretty garbage. Guess it was only a matter of time till it went to shit as well.

Shit! I didn't even mention IE. Silly me.

Let's not forget that the first Xbox was kind of a turd, too. Terrible industrial design. The 360 had its share of problems early on, too. Really, post-RROD and HDMI enabled 360 is the only good thing, and even then it doesn't support high-capacity discs.

the only MS exclusives I even care about anymore are Forza and Halo. hopefully there will be a cheapo version of the nextbox a few years down the line for people that only really want to play a couple games on it.
MS will always have the superior controller tho, I play most of my PC games with it.

jjasper

Let's not forget that the first Xbox was kind of a turd, too. Terrible industrial design. The 360 had its share of problems early on, too. Really, post-RROD and HDMI enabled 360 is the only good thing, and even then it doesn't support high-capacity discs.

Or Zune, Surface, Windows 8, GFWL.

I will give them credit though as they have discovered that they can exploit the hell out of gamers with XBL though.

bullshit, the first Xbox was a rock. it was the PS2 that was a turd of a machine last gen, didnt Sony have a class action lawsuit filed against it for reliability issues?

Branduil

MS got a big advantage from the 360 being first to the market, and the PS3 being wildly overpriced, and as a result they easily cornered the dudebro market in America early on. I'm not sure things will go nearly as well for them this generation, especially if the no-used-games thing is true.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
bullshit, the first Xbox was a rock. it was the PS2 that was a turd of a machine last gen, didnt Sony have a class action lawsuit filed against it for reliability issues?

I wasn't speaking about reliability. And how did that reliability thing work out for the 360?

Like I said, you can't trust MS to do everything right. Something will have to give.

it's not at all surprising ms is going that route, the people responsible for the early success for the 360 are long gone and now you have the kinect people running the show

linsivvi

I've been to their campus and worked with some of their people. MS is just way too big and don't have a centralized vision.

MS will get the Sonic though, so at least they'll have that.

I wasn't speaking about reliability. And how did that reliability thing work out for the 360?

Like I said, you can't trust MS to do everything right. Something will have to give.

explain terrible industrial design. that system produced Ninja Gaiden Black.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
MS got a big advantage from the 360 being first to the market, and the PS3 being wildly overpriced, and as a result they easily cornered the dudebro market in America early on. I'm not sure things will go nearly as well for them this generation, especially if the no-used-games thing is true.

^^^ this I tell my friends this and they refuse to admit that the release schedule and price was the tipping point for Xbox dominating sales this generation

Branduil

The first Xbox was just a brute-forced design of off-the-shelf hardware. It cost MS a ridiculous amount of money and it was monstrously large; despite that it was only a bit more powerful than the many times cheaper and smaller Gamecube.

the only MS exclusives I even care about anymore are Forza and Halo. hopefully there will be a cheapo version of the nextbox a few years down the line for people that only really want to play a couple games on it.
MS will always have the superior controller tho, I play most of my PC games with it.

Forza is good but Halo sucks now and forever ruined.

diehard

Fleer
The first Xbox was just a brute-forced design of off-the-shelf hardware. It cost MS a ridiculous amount of money and it was monstrously large; despite that it was only a bit more powerful than the many times cheaper and smaller Gamecube.
It was definitely more than a little bit more powerful than the GC. Games just don't really need the out of order execution it's CPU provided.

Branduil

It was definitely more than a little bit more powerful than the GC. Games just don't really need the out of order execution it's CPU provided.

Well, if games can't use the power the power doesn't really matter. The best Xbox games didn't look significantly better than Rogue Squadron III, RE 4, or Wind Waker.

Microsoft already lost me as a potential consumer by charging for online so I don't have much of a response to those rumors.

Sucks for those who have liked Xbox consoles before and have a shitty internet connection though.

diehard

Fleer
Well, if games can't use the power the power doesn't really matter. The best Xbox games didn't look significantly better than Rogue Squadron III, RE 4, or Wind Waker.
I was just talking from a technical standpoint. It worked out well for me, modded Xbox was such a great value.

Branduil

I was just talking from a technical standpoint. It worked out well for me, modded Xbox was such a great value.

It's a shame modded consoles are going to be a thing of the past. Well, until the manufacturers abandon them and then modding becomes the only way they'll even work.

Nori Chan

So apparently the Lakers retired Shaq's number...forward? They put his name on the front of the jersey and not back. This whole season is full of derp and also #FuckJimBuss

pmpvxtG-300x225.jpg

Top Bottom