• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 April NBA |OT| Pipe Dreams

I say just rest the remaining games

I don't care anymore. Health is such an issue right now

we still have a good chance for the 1 seed but its not even worth it.

Disappointed in the loss, but I'm more concerned about Parker's health. Dude just didn't look right out there at all. Still, with TP playing bad and no Manu on the 4th game in 5 nights on a back to back, I can take one moral victory. It looks like we FINALLY have the back up point guard spot locked up

Gallo heard a pop in his knee and Tony Parker may have tendinitis in his shin, Popovich said he's very concerned.

Western conference playoff just got less fun, still way better than the east tho.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I know there is no way to prove it but these ultra light shoes becoming popular and the increase of ACL injuries is getting ridiculous. Anyone have a list of players with knee injuries and the shoes they were wearing at the time of injury?
Rose, Rubio and Gallo were all in ultra light Adidas I think.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
people laughed when I said the Nuggets were going to be a real good team this year

Blackace

I know there is no way to prove it but these ultra light shoes becoming popular and the increase of ACL injuries is getting ridiculous. Anyone have a list of players with knee injuries and the shoes they were wearing at the time of injury?

didn't Nike get blasted for saying something about Rose should have signed with us

Watching Barkley on Conan. Man, he is just so freaking great! He says that Jeffrey isn't a good looking guy. That if he was a plummer instead of worth $500 mil nobody would say he was good looking lol. Also, he's apparently lost 75+ lbs and looks great. Finally, he wants to become a GM of a team on the west coach.

Truly my fav athlete ever.

I think Kevin Ware was wearing some kind of Adidas shoe too.

3tpkz2.jpg

I have no idea how this can be used in here, but someone needs to find a way.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
didn't Nike get blasted for saying something about Rose should have signed with us

They did. Well I don't know if its was Nike or just someone in the shoe industry. But the comment was made. The big difference techwise with the lighter Nike shoes is the flywire tech in them.
I have seem some pics of foot movement in shoes during cuts and planting while loading before a jump as well as when landing and the players in Adidas showed quite a bit more foot movement compared to Nike shoes with the flywire tech in them.
* foot movement is what they were calling when the athletes foot is not centered over the sole when under a lot if pressure. Commonly shown in pics where a player is changing direction*
The material in the midsole is also so light that it shifts more laterally than what was in shoes even 5 years ago.
So you have a two fold issue with these shoes. The midsole compresses during weight transfer (shakes like Jello) and then the shoe upper has more give to it than older shoes due to lighter/thinner material. I have been told that either of these issues by themselves is bad enough but together they can be a nightmare for knee injuries.
The comparison I was shown was with a ski boot. Ski boot is solid, takes an incredible amount of pressure and provides plenty of support. Great product that does what it needs to for the athlete. But you fit that boot wrong and the athletes foot shifts inside that boot the knee takes all the pressure and injury risk goes through the roof.

If you do a comparison of Nike shoes against Adidas shoes (especially their signature models) you will see that the Nike shoes have considerably more lateral support. It is baffling that they put such explosive athletes in such flimsy footwear.
Nike isn't perfect of course. Anyone notice how there was a time where many of their athletes were wearing Shox and then all of a sudden it was pretty much just Vince still wearing them? He was their signature Shox guy and it appeared to save the brand they couldn't just get rid of them all together.

Anyway good shoe talk. Don't buy flimsy shoes.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I think Kevin Ware was wearing some kind of Adidas shoe too.

He was. Louisville is an Adidas school. I would throw that possibility into the mix if Ware didnt have skinnier legs than my 11 year old daughters.
But when you take the principles of the floating jello midsole it screws all the physics of weight transfer and the force finds the weakest place to release. In his case it was in the middle of his lower leg.

Yeah after writing that I'm gonna say I'm confident that his shoe needs to be considered as possible blame.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Thanks for the posts Truelize. Really interesting.

For sure man. If anyone wants to know more i could keep going. But I have been (Salt)blasted in here a couple of times for over sharing. :)

It seems like the NBA should pay for some kind of study into the effects of different shoes on injuries.

Ongoing. Adidas's own research team urged the "feet we wear" series of shoes be taken off the market years ago because they saw an increase of ACL injuries occurring. It took some time but that series of shoes did disappear for quite awhile.
* "feet we wear" was the sole style of shoe that Kobe has in his first couple of Adidas shoes. *
Adidas rereleased the shoes this past year. We shall see what happens.

Blackace

It seems like the NBA should pay for some kind of study into the effects of different shoes on injuries.

and expose their biggest business partners? Sounds like a solid plan that will surely happen

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
and expose their biggest business partners? Sounds like a solid plan that will surely happen

Yeah think about who has the contract to make all the NBA apparel now. Adidas.

Another thing that is rather interesting is the amount of players that are wearing retro shoes now. Older, solid shoes. Heavier, stronger shoes. I don't think it's a coincedence.

I have seen a top athletic trainer kick olympic level athletes out of a weight room because they were wearing "garbage" footwear. They were wearing nice new top of the line running shoes during power lifting sessions. He said the amount of compression that happens during a lift and how quickly that compression happens put the athletes at risk of injury.

One of my close friends is a college basketball coach and he gave his players a list of shoes that he and his staff felt were acceptable after losing two players to ACL injuries in those Adidas "feet we wear" shoes. One of the shoes he told his players were acceptable were Adidas Gazelles (a ultra simple flat soled shoe used for soccer in the 70s) and had a player buy them sarcastically and wound up wearing them for the remaining three years of his college career. I was hilarious seeing this kid play in those. I don't suggest this at all.

Blackace

Yeah think about who has the contract to make all the NBA apparel now. Adidas.

Another thing that is rather interesting is the amount of players that are wearing retro shoes now. Older, solid shoes. Heavier, stronger shoes. I don't think it's a coincedence.

Reebok Blacktops need to come back

Top Bottom