• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 April NBA |OT| Pipe Dreams

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Blacktops were tough ass shoes man. Those and those Nike Air Raids. Good luck blowing out the side of a pair of either if those.

Same with Adidas Artillery.

I wore Blacktops forever and how I blew my ankle was in And-1s

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
truelize with one of the most interesting posts this thread has seen in years

roty locked up

giri

Yeah think about who has the contract to make all the NBA apparel now. Adidas.

Another thing that is rather interesting is the amount of players that are wearing retro shoes now. Older, solid shoes. Heavier, stronger shoes. I don't think it's a coincedence.

I have seen a top athletic trainer kick olympic level athletes out of a weight room because they were wearing "garbage" footwear. They were wearing nice new top of the line running shoes during power lifting sessions. He said the amount of compression that happens during a lift and how quickly that compression happens put the athletes at risk of injury.

One of my close friends is a college basketball coach and he gave his players a list of shoes that he and his staff felt were acceptable after losing two players to ACL injuries in those Adidas "feet we wear" shoes. One of the shoes he told his players were acceptable were Adidas Gazelles (a ultra simple flat soled shoe used for soccer in the 70s) and had a player buy them sarcastically and wound up wearing them for the remaining three years of his college career. I was hilarious seeing this kid play in those. I don't suggest this at all.

This is very true.

I've done a lot of reading up about shoes given my recent leg injuries. (Ironically caused when i went to Adidas shoes from Nike, but that was more about going from a neutral to a stability shoe in all likelihood)

The most interesting part is how a lot of the cushioning technology is a complete negative and actually causes a lot more stress through all joints (hip, knee, ankle, fore foot), because to get the same push off as if you were barefoot, you have to push through all that padding. Meaning you're actually striking harder and causing more stress on all those joints, and consuming more energy.

I'm not a fan of the barefoot brigade ether, but I've been noticing a lot of the top running shoes have started to remove some of the giant levels of padding and cut back. Those are straight running shoes, not cross trainers/bball/tennis shoes. But i think you'll see the follow through.

Though I've not been involved in the studies you have. Sounds fascinating.

RedAssedApe

Banned
All this shoe info is interesting. Are the shoes you actually buy in the store exactly the same as the shoes the superstars are wearing?

I thought the shoes would be like tennis racquets in tennis. i.e. top tennis pros have a specific brand and model of racquet they promote. But the racquet you buy in the store usually, outside of general superficial specs, aren't the same racquet under all the exterior paint.

giri

All this shoe info is interesting. Are the shoes you actually buy in the store exactly the same as the shoes the superstars are wearing?

I thought the shoes would be like tennis racquets in tennis. i.e. top tennis pros have a specific brand and model of racquet they promote. But the racquet you buy in the store usually, outside of general superficial specs, aren't the same racquet under all the exterior paint.

some are, some aren't.

I know kobe gets special shoes made that aren't available at retail. Or, he did last year.

Most of the big names have their own shoes anyway (KD/LBJ) and i believe they wear them. I know KD used to.

A lot of the league aren't really given that much special treatment in that regard. You look at the wizards a few years back that had to ban their players from wearing the Nike Hyperize because of all the ankle injuries they were getting from them, those were just stock shoes.

giri

Gotcha. So sad. Scrub players are at such a disadvantage. Don't get calls and also have to play with inferior equipment haha

Well, i believe the teams that are nike sponsored can choose from a few different models, it's really up to them. Some just don't look at it that much.

It's a little alarming that the richest athletes in the world supposedly wearing the best equipment who also happen to be the best conditioned is having this shit happen to them

DCX

DCX
It's a little alarming that the richest athletes in the world supposedly wearing the best equipment who also happen to be the best conditioned is having this shit happen to them
Well when signing a shoe deal you take the most money usually and Nike doesn't hand those signature shoe deals to just anyone.

I rather have more career than a big shoe deal if you ask me.

DCX

Well when signing a shoe deal you take the most money usually and Nike doesn't hand those signature shoe deals to just anyone.

I rather have more career than a big shoe deal if you ask me.

DCX

I'm more talking about that it's pretty amazing that the best shoes are still pretty shitty

KingGondo

Banned
I don't trust Adidas one bit, especially after this:

Rp1b4p4.jpg

I'd love to see Nike get the NBA uniform contract, although that obviously won't happen for a long time.

charsace

I said this last year after Shump went down. Its the fucking shoes. Shump had knee problems his whole rookie season and I know its connected to adidas. Light weight super tech has always been bullshit. I tore up my ankle, tore a groin, and strained a knee because of mid top secret sauce shit ass shoes.

balddemon

Banned
I know no one cares, and I probably just have shitty bones, but I broke my leg Kevin Ware style a month ago wearing a pair of hyperdunks. http://i.imgur.com/h6y1wNh.jpg they are the most comfortable shoes I've ever played basketball in, but I don't know if I'll be wearing them again.

Hyper dunks are awesome. Probably just bad luck.

I don't think that the shoes have anything to do with it unless the soles are Reezig 1 levels of bad.

I just think guys are more athletic these days. The better you are as an athlete the better the chance is that you're going to end up tearing something at that level. The speed of the game is getting pretty crazy in this era of point guard. ACL tears are going to be more prevalent unfortunately.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I know no one cares, and I probably just have shitty bones, but I broke my leg Kevin Ware style a month ago wearing a pair of hyperdunks. http://i.imgur.com/h6y1wNh.jpg they are the most comfortable shoes I've ever played basketball in, but I don't know if I'll be wearing them again.

People care man. And like I said at the start we have no way to prove that the shoe causes these issues. Shoe companies are safe from any legal issues because of the amount of variables that impact injuries. But science supports that if your feet shift position during a transfer of energy injury risks escalate immensely.

Gallo's injury last night is a perfect visual (if you handle it). He goes to the hoop, does a simple jump stop and his knee caves.
Now I'm just talking here, I have zero proof about what actually happened.
When Gallo plants his feet during his landing all the lines of force are running down from his hips to his feet. Exactly how it happens every time we land from a jump. If his feet stay planted solidly that force will transfer back through his body, with the majority of it being absorbed/stored in his leg muscles and released when he takes off again.
But what happens if one foot shifts inside his footwear? The centre of gravity changes rapidly and those lines of force change as well.

This is not a perfect example but i have seen it used before.
Holding a thin straw in your hands with a single finger tip on each end. Apply pressure to both ends of the straw. It doesn't even matter if its balanced pressure on each end. When the pressure is applied in exactly opposing directions the straw appears plenty strong and able to support a considerable amount of force. Now try holding the straw as vertical as possible and slowly apply force downwards while turning/rotating the bottom finger. If you do this correctly the pressure that was built up in the straw will find the weakest spot and the straw should collapse in the direction that you rotated your lower finger.
That's a rolled ankle.
The second example is more difficult to duplicate but instead of rotating the lower finger you need to shift it to one side rapidly while increasing the amount of force considerably. The straw collapses in the opposite direction the lower finger was moved.
That's a knee injury.
And if the experiment is done as I was shown it, the ankle injury straw will give at a spot lower than the knee injury one. Knee injury will be closer to the middle of the straw.

As technology has advanced over the years we have shoes that do a better job at hindering ankle injuries. Outsole shape and flex points changed. Good tech. And then companies started trying to shed weight and increase responsiveness. Lighter foam started being used in midsoles. Thinner material in shoe uppers. These shoes feel incredible in the store. So soft under your feet. But at what cost?

And balddemon those Hyperdunks have the Lunarlon sole in it. That sole is as mushy as it comes. The original Hyperdunk is a fantastic shoe. If you look at the Lunar ones they even added in a glass reinforced shank in the midsole to add stability. Stability that was lost when they put in this lighter foam.
Injuries happen and you can't just blame the shoe but in my opinion that foam shouldn't be in performance footwear.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I don't trust Adidas one bit, especially after this:

I'd love to see Nike get the NBA uniform contract, although that obviously won't happen for a long time.

I cringe whenever I walk through the UCLA student union. Those Adidas camos are prominently displayed on the floor. Ugh...

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
And I just want to make it clear that I am NOT saying that shoes are the cause of every injury. Too many variables.
But there is tech in some shoes that is only there to give a wow factor to the consumer when they are trying them on in the store.

Mushy insoles are ok in a shoe that is engineered to move in a single direction. Forward. Running shoes have all this foam, gel and Max Air and its heavenly for the feet. But the best high cushion shoes have a ton of stability tech in then to counteract the lack of stability that this soft comfy midsole has.

masud

Banned
So Chandler and Martin may not play tonight? And I'm pretty sure Camby's been dead for weeks. Who the hell is gonna play the 5? Novak?

Sanders gon give us dat pipe...

So Chandler and Martin may not play tonight? And I'm pretty sure Camby's been dead for weeks. Who the hell is gonna play the 5? Novak?

I refuse to believe the shirt-wearing skinny center that's been playing for the Knicks is Tyson Chandler. No no no. Idiot has lost like 30 pounds of muscle.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I refuse to believe the shirt-wearing skinny center that's been playing for the Knicks is Tyson Chandler. No no no. Idiot has lost like 30 pounds of muscle.

I'd be fine if we traded him. He's totally lost any remote dominance he's shown in the first 35-40 games.

copeland lols

whoever it is better step up. would be embarassing to lose at home to the bucks when theyre celebrating the 40th anniversary of the chip lol

Lots of speculation right now that Tony has a stress fracture and will be out until at least the end of the 1st round

Meaning we won't have Tony or Manu for a series

Welp. Its Tim Duncan and the goons I guess. Ride or die

Top Bottom