• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Feb NBA Season lOT| Controlling it like a man, bruh

BC31DxPCcAAV06_.jpg:large

they look like they stepped out of a circus

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Holy fuck, those Warriors unis are legendarily atrocious. The shorts and jerseys aren't even the same color!

Congrats! The Thunder move to 3rd place now after the Warriors and the Bobcats

Pimpwerx

Those Warriors unis are terrible. And I'm not someone that normally comments on fashion, but goddamn those are awful. Those shitty, sleeved jerseys better not become the norm, because that is some grade-A bullshit. NBA jerseys are awesome. If I wanted to wear a t-shirt, I could go to the thrift store and buy a closet full of bootleg wear that looks better than that shit. I give them shits 3 thumbs down. PEACE.

Vahagn

Not sure a guy who says that he thinks Derrick Rose is better than LeBron because his sources say Rose > LeBron can continue to be employed by a major basketball site.

Yea his sources have been off. So have Broussard's. I really only trust Woj's sources and Screamin A Smith's sources.

That being said, Lots of NBA Analysts say stupid stuff. Hollinger had a job for years and said some ridiculous thing every week. I just think ESPN has so many bad Basketball commentators you need anyone you can get at this point.

Agreed. Bucher was straight garbaggggee. His views on Lebron were borderline Bayless level

Him and Bayless were right while Lebron was quitting on his team and being LeDefer. Or do you forget that that period in Lebron's career actually existed.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Stop throwing up stats from one game. Jennings has pretty decent seasons stats and is ranked 35 overall in Yahoo fantasy basketball.
You don't need to be a fan. But the kid is a decent ball player. And would be even better if he had a better back court mate.

Pimpwerx

Stop throwing up stats from one game. Jennings has pretty decent seasons stats and is ranked 35 overall in Yahoo fantasy basketball.
You don't need to be a fan. But the kid is a decent ball player. And would be even better if he had a better back court mate.

Low BBIQ chucker. I still LOL at one of the home games last season when right off the opening tip, Jenning's first idea was to dribble up the court and heave a 30ft clanker. Dude might be the most overrated guard in the league. PEACE.

PBY

Banned
Him and Bayless were right while Lebron was quitting on his team and being LeDefer. Or do you forget that that period in Lebron's career actually existed.

Lol I can't argue this enough. Its not a phase in his career. Hes basically the same player now than he was then, the perceptions around him just changed with a fucking ring. Goddamn do you not understand how DUMB the Skip Bayless argument is? If Lebron had lost game 6 in Boston we'd be still saying the same stuff. It was just one game. Hes the same player man, perception versus reality, don't buy into that pandering bs.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Low BBIQ chucker. I still LOL at one of the home games last season when right off the opening tip, Jenning's first idea was to dribble up the court and heave a 30ft clanker. Dude might be the most overrated guard in the league. PEACE.

The most overrated guard in the league right now has to be Steve Nash

Vahagn

Lol I can't argue this enough. Its not a phase in his career. Hes basically the same player now than he was then, the perceptions around him just changed with a fucking ring. Goddamn do you not understand how DUMB the Skip Bayless argument is? If Lebron had lost game 6 in Boston we'd be still saying the same stuff. It was just one game. Hes the same player man, perception versus reality, don't buy into that pandering bs.

Uh no he's not. Even Lebron James will tell you he had to reach another level to win. If you look at the Finals vs. the Thunder and the Finals Vs. the Mavericks and think he's the "same" player. You're not paying attention.

There's a reason why no one was piling on Durant when they lost the finals. Because Durant came to play. He wasn't at his best, but he didn't shrink to scoring 17 points per game and 2 points per 4th quarter like Lebron did against the Mavs.

The idea that you could think Lebron hasn't grown, hasn't improved, hasn't gotten better in the last 4 years or the last 2 years is just. wow.

In 05-06 Lebron was 31.4 ppg. 7 rpg. 6.6 apg.

Now he's 27.0 ppg. 8.1 rpg. 6.9 apg.

If you think "he's basically the same player"...you're just crazy even though the numbers are similar.

PBY

Banned
Uh no he's not. Even Lebron James will tell you he had to reach another level to win. If you look at the Finals vs. the Thunder and the Finals Vs. the Mavericks and think he's the "same" player. You're not paying attention.

There's a reason why no one was piling on Durant when they lost the finals. Because Durant came to play. He wasn't at his best, but he didn't shrink to scoring 17 points per game and 2 points per 4th quarter like Lebron did against the Mavs.

The idea that you could think Lebron hasn't grown, hasn't improved, hasn't gotten better in the last 4 years or the last 2 years is just. wow.

In 05-06 Lebron was 31.4 ppg. 7 rpg. 6.6 apg.

Now he's 27.0 ppg. 8.1 rpg. 6.9 apg.

If you think "he's basically the same player"...you're just crazy even though the numbers are similar.

Where did I say he hasn't grown? No shit he's grown since 05. I'm saying that he was getting "LEDEFER" all throughout the playoffs last year- JUST BECAUSE HE HADNT WON. If he hadn't beaten Boston, it would be the same shit this year. He's definitely improved this year over last year, but not this massive shift that has people switching from bitchmade choker to best player doing it.

Perception =/= reality. And it kills me all the damn time, we keep doing it. Happened with Peyton, and shit- its happening to Dwight right now. Of course Dwight isn't having his best year by any stretch BUT we attribute characteristics like "mentally weak" or "can't win" or "clown" because hes failing, and not really based on any other data. Its a crutch.

Vahagn

Where did I say he hasn't grown? No shit he's grown since 05. I'm saying that he was getting "LEDEFER" all throughout the playoffs last year- JUST BECAUSE HE HADNT WON. If he hadn't beaten Boston, it would be the same shit this year. He's definitely improved this year over last year, but not this massive shift that has people switching from bitchmade choker to best player doing it.

Perception =/= reality. And it kills me all the damn time, we keep doing it. Happened with Peyton, and shit- its happening to Dwight right now. Of course Dwight isn't having his best year by any stretch BUT we attribute characteristics like "mentally weak" or "can't win" or "clown" because hes failing, and not really based on any other data. Its a crutch.

Lebron went something like 0-11 in the game winning or tying buckets when he was on the HEAT his first season. That's data. It got so bad, he started giving the ball to D Wade to finish out every single game. Or to Chris Bosh or Mario Chalmers for 3's. This was a very real thing.

And no, If Lebron came out and scored 45 in game 6 and the Celtics still lost, people wouldn't criticize Lebron. They criticize Lebron after his game 5 performance against Boston when he quit. They criticized him for games 2-6 against the Mavericks when he averaged 17 ppg and 2 points in the fourth quarter of a bunch of close games because that's what he was doing!

Yes we mentioned Peyton, and we still should. Peyton is more respected now then he was before he won, but he still loses more playoff games then he wins, and he still throws big interceptions in crucial 4th quarter drives in big games far too often. If he finishes his career with 1 ring and time and time again messes up in the fourth quarter of big games. he'll be remembered for it. Same with Lebron. If he wins 3 or more, and stops deferring and choking in big games people will forget. But if he comes up short again this year, and next, and next, and next, people won't.

Bucher and Bayless were right to criticize Lebron 2 years ago, and 3 years ago for coming up small in big moments and shying away from the pressure of big shots and big games.

Your idea that "once someone wins a ring everyone changes their mind it's so stupid" is really too far in that direction. Yea, some things get forgiven, but more often then not, players who win rings play differently then before they do. Even if those differences are subtle and mental more than statistical.

So no, LEbron wasn't getting LeDefer because he hadn't won. He was getting LeDefer because he was deferring. That name got dropped when he put the team on his back and played like the best player in the world and took it hard to the hole time and time again and took over 4th quarters against the Pacers, Celtics, and especially the Thunder.

Don't get it twisted, if Lebron averaged 17 ppg or had a game where he played disinterested and scored 15 against the Celtics last year, or against the Thunder - even if the Heat won - he'd still be called those names. And Rightfully so.

PBY

Banned
Lebron went something like 0-11 in the game winning or tying buckets when he was on the HEAT his first season. That's data. It got so bad, he started giving the ball to D Wade to finish out every single game. Or to Chris Bosh or Mario Chalmers for 3's. This was a very real thing.

And no, If Lebron came out and scored 45 in game 6 and the Celtics still lost, people wouldn't criticize Lebron. They criticize Lebron after his game 5 performance against Boston when he quit. They criticized him for games 2-6 against the Mavericks.

Yes we mentioned Peyton, and we still should. Peyton is more respected now then he was before he won, but he still loses more playoff games then he wins, and he still throws big interceptions in crucial 4th quarter drives in big games far too often. If he finishes his career with 1 ring and time and time again messes up in the fourth quarter of big games. he'll be remembered for it. Same with Lebron. If he wins 3 or more, and stops deferring and choking in big games people will forget. But if he does it again this year, and next, and next, and next, people won't.

Bucher and Bayless were right to criticize Lebron 2 years ago, and 3 years ago for coming up small in big moments and shying away from the pressure of big shots and big games.

Your idea that "once someone wins a ring everyone changes their mind it's so stupid" is really too far in that direction. Yea, some things get forgiven, but more often then not, players who win rings play differently then before they do. Even if those differences are subtle and mental more than statistical.
Well... Lebron still is missing game winners. And it was a bad stretch- but he had hit those in his career before- like, um against the Magic. Huge three. Look up the percentages made of those shots by Kobe, KD, etc. Low-ass percentages.
As far as the deferring to Wade/Chalmers- thats you projecting your views of a player onto what you're seeing. That is still happening now, except you don't see it as Ledefer because your perception of James has changed.

I'm gonna guess that we'll never see eye to eye on this, but I'm pretty firmly entrenched. These narratives are constructed to fill in gaps to help us rationalize what we are seeing, but they aren't really based in any sort of data, or in reality at all. We project these narratives onto the actions of the players, and the result is a fucked up, self-affirming narrative tainted by confirmation bias.

If the Heat close out the Thunder, we’ll enter a furious spin cycle where LeBron’s most fervent detractors will claim that he was victorious because he changed. He matured. He stopped krumping and developed a detached million-yard stare. This time, he truly valued playing for a championship (unlike before, when he feared a shiny ring would attract more hungry seagulls to his yacht). In short, get ready to watch a bunch of people who were proven wrong belch, “I told you so.” But the Heat aren’t winning because LeBron James is playing like Kobe Bryant. Instead, the Thunder are losing because Kevin Durant is.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-t...kevin-durant-have-too-much-kobe-bryant-in-him

Durant has managed to become significantly more efficient than Kobe ever was so it's not completely up-to-date anymore, but it sums up things pretty well.

I'm gonna guess that we'll never see eye to eye on this, but I'm pretty firmly entrenched. These narratives are constructed to fill in gaps to help us rationalize what we are seeing, but they aren't really based in any sort of data, or in reality at all. We project these narratives onto the actions of the players, and the result is a fucked up, self-affirming narrative tainted by confirmation bias.

This is true about stars, but a lot of narratives about young busts (lack of work ethic, mental strength, etc) can actually be true.

NBA prospects turn into stars because of superior work ethic and intelligence so bashing stars for their intangibles seems a bit odd when viewed from their entire career compared to other players with attributes similar to them.

And no, If Lebron came out and scored 45 in game 6 and the Celtics still lost, people wouldn't criticize Lebron. They criticize Lebron after his game 5 performance against Boston when he quit. They criticized him for games 2-6 against the Mavericks when he averaged 17 ppg and 2 points in the fourth quarter of a bunch of close games because that's what he was doing!

Yes we mentioned Peyton, and we still should. Peyton is more respected now then he was before he won, but he still loses more playoff games then he wins, and he still throws big interceptions in crucial 4th quarter drives in big games far too often. If he finishes his career with 1 ring and time and time again messes up in the fourth quarter of big games. he'll be remembered for it. Same with Lebron. If he wins 3 or more, and stops deferring and choking in big games people will forget. But if he comes up short again this year, and next, and next, and next, people won't.

So no, LEbron wasn't getting LeDefer because he hadn't won. He was getting LeDefer because he was deferring. That name got dropped when he put the team on his back and played like the best player in the world and took it hard to the hole time and time again and took over 4th quarters against the Pacers, Celtics, and especially the Thunder.

Don't get it twisted, if Lebron averaged 17 ppg or had a game where he played disinterested and scored 15 against the Celtics last year, or against the Thunder - even if the Heat won - he'd still be called those names. And Rightfully so.

must be humid living so far up your own ass

Vahagn

Well... Lebron still is missing game winners. And it was a bad stretch- but he had hit those in his career before- like, um against the Magic. Huge three. Look up the percentages made of those shots by Kobe, KD, etc. Low-ass percentages.
As far as the deferring to Wade/Chalmers- thats you projecting your views of a player onto what you're seeing. That is still happening now, except you don't see it as Ledefer because your perception of James has changed.

I don't care about the missed shots. I care about the coming up small and Deferring. Kobe played badly in game 7 against Boston. He shot 25%. But he shot 24 shots, and scored 11 in the fourth and kept attacking the basket. So you can criticize him for shooting too much, or being a ball hog if you'd like. But not for being LeDefer.

There's a difference between having a bad game, and LeDeferring. When the best player in the world scores 17 ppg in a finals series and 2 ppg in the 4th quarter and gets lit up by Jason Terry in the fourth quarter of a Finals Series he should get criticized for coming up small.

Again. No one criticized Lebron for what happened in SA. And no one criticized him for what happened against Boston the next year. And no one really even criticized him for what happened in Orlando. The criticism's came after 2 specific events on really big stages in back to back years. The Celtics series where he noticeably quit on his team in game 5. And the Mavericks series.

I only bring this up because you made it seem like Anyone who thought Lebron played badly or criticized his game pre 2012 chip was a tool and "filled with bias" according to you.

I don't care about the missed shots. I care about the coming up small and Deferring. Kobe played badly in game 7 against Boston. He shot 25%. But he shot 24 shots, and scored 11 in the fourth and kept attacking the basket. So you can criticize him for shooting too much, or being a ball hog if you'd like. But not for being LeDefer.

This right here sums up the essence of a Lakers fan who has had his basketball opinions completely influenced and shaped by loving one Kobe Bean Bryant

Vahagn

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-t...kevin-durant-have-too-much-kobe-bryant-in-him

Durant has managed to become significantly more efficient than Kobe ever was so it's not completely up-to-date anymore, but it sums up things pretty well.

That was stupid and cheap. The Thunder didn't lose because Durant played poorly - he didn't play his best, but his dropoff wasn't as bad as Westbrook's or especially Harden's. And for the millionth time, efficiency is overrated.

Basketball =/= Fantasy Basketball.

This right here sums up the essence of a Lakers fan who has had his basketball opinions completely influenced and shaped by loving one Kobe Bean Bryant

Or Michael Jordan? Your basketball opinions are completely influenced by ESPN Stats and Information I bet.

I'm sorry. Kobe's won 5 rings playing that way. Based on your "Basketball opinions" you can't win games shooting a poor percentage can you? Maybe you need to re-assess yours if you think winning and continuing to attack is worse than passing up make-able shots because you've missed a few.

PBY

Banned
Yeah, stats and information are what I base my opinions on?

There's a difference between having a bad game, and LeDeferring. When the best player in the world scores 17 ppg in a finals series and 2 ppg in the 4th quarter and gets lit up by Jason Terry in the fourth quarter of a Finals Series he should get criticized for coming up small.

Again. No one criticized Lebron for what happened in SA. And no one criticized him for what happened against Boston the next year. And no one really even criticized him for what happened in Orlando. The criticism's came after 2 specific events on really big stages in back to back years. The Celtics series where he noticeably quit on his team in game 5. And the Mavericks series.

I only bring this up because you made it seem like Anyone who thought Lebron played badly or criticized his game pre 2012 chip was a tool and "filled with bias" according to you.

I just criticize people who tagged him with Ledefer, choker, or 'not a winner'

Or Michael Jordan? Your basketball opinions are completely influenced by ESPN Stats and Information I bet.

I'm sorry. Kobe's won 5 rings playing that way. Based on your "Basketball opinions" you can't win games shooting a poor percentage can you? Maybe you need to re-assess yours if you think winning and continuing to attack is worse than passing up make-able shots because you've missed a few.

Anytime you can start an argument with "YOUR opinions are influenced by facts!" you gotta do it.

I like how you are correlating "continuing to attack" with winning. Continuing to attack is serving the Lakers well this season isn't it?

Vahagn

Yeah, stats and information are what I base my opinions on?

I just criticize people who tagged him with Ledefer, choker, or 'not a winner'

Cool - So then Lebron in 2005-2006 is "basically the same player" as Lebron today right? Go look at the stats and tell me that's not the case.

For that matter, Kobe in 2013 is basically the same player as Kobe in 2003 or 2009 right? I mean the stats are pretty close similar.

Anytime you can start an argument with "YOUR opinions are influenced by facts!" you gotta do it.

I like how you are correlating "continuing to attack" with winning. Continuing to attack is serving the Lakers well this season isn't it?

Yea actually it is. Unless you think the Lakers are losing is because Kobe is only shooting 47% from the field?

Also, a fact implies something is true. Making conclusions based on stats aren't guaranteed to be true, wrong conclusions can be drawn all the time and often times are. There was a time where the best scorer was judged on ppg, then per36 became all the rage, then FG%, then TS%. You're assuming because you reference some stat that your arguments are fool proof? GTFO with that nonsense.

Efficiency being overrated is why Monta Ellis Have It All and why no contender will trade for him or sign him.

Monta Ellis is horrible. There are extremes to efficiency which cause issues. If you're super inefficient you can hurt your team. Lebron is scoring more "efficiently" now, and his team is more talented than the Cavs teams, yet his Cavs teams would win more games in the last couple seasons than these Heat teams.

Saying efficiency is overrated is like saying breathing air is overrated. Everything that is efficient in life has a 20832803% of being better.

Ask all those bankrupt companies how beneficial it was by not being efficient. And yes I am a efficiency freak. Not with just sports, but pretty much everything in life.

Cool - So then Lebron in 2005-2006 is "basically the same player" as Lebron today right? Go look at the stats and tell me that's not the case.

For that matter, Kobe in 2013 is basically the same player as Kobe in 2003 or 2009 right? I mean the stats are pretty close similar.

Learn to look at advance stats. Or is that too advance for you? I'm sure LeBron stats just in the post alone is a world of difference between his 2005 and 2013 form.

Top Bottom