• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Feb NBA Season lOT| Controlling it like a man, bruh

We already said no....

I'm not sure if want. On one hand Hawes and Turner blow, on the other Josh wants max and thus will probably walk.

lol wat

you can't get better through the draft so Josh Smith is one of the only good options you'll get with your free agency money.

Not sure how or why you'd say no.

The laker's cannot trade kobe without his approval.....period.And if he does agree, it has to be to a contending team. Do you know any contending team that has 30 mil to spare? Didn't think so. Unless you believe kobe loves jordan so much he'd agree getting traded to the bobcats lol.

Kobe's mega sensitive. It would be easy to piss him off and get him to accept a trade. As for where, you don't think Brooklyn or the Knicks would come up with that cash in a minute?

lol wat

you can't get better through the draft so Josh Smith is one of the only good options you'll get with your free agency money.

Not sure how or why you'd say no.

I think they really love Hawes and don't want to give up on Turner.

Basically the ol overrrating our young "talent" things

If they know what's good for them they'll trade Kobe. That guy says he's going to play 2 more years max? LOL, yeah right. He's going to Brett Favre the fuck out of that franchise for the next years years chasing records.

I agree 100% and said as much years ago, even used Brett Favre as the comparative. Kobe for sure wants Jeffrey's scoring mark and after that, he will lock in on Malones. By that point, I can see him hobbling and futilely Y NOT'ing his way towards Kareem.

KingGondo

Banned
What is OKC doing?
In the trade market, you mean?

No idea. We'll probably trade Maynor, although his value is super-low right now, and he's a RFA.

I do think we should do *something* (this year is chip or bust, and we're definite underdogs against the Heat), but I don't know what. I'd love to get Millsap--we could really use a guy with the versatility to play the 3 or 4 (but more on the 4 side, with the ability to score inside). I also think his contract is extremely reasonable.

A lineup of YNB-Martin-KD-Millsap-Ibaka would be devastating, and could put pressure on the Heat in ways our current lineup can't.

At the end of the day, we'll probably roll with what we have (we're still favorites to get back to the Finals) and hope we find a formula that works against Miami like we did against the Spurs last year.

I agree 100% and said as much years ago, even used Brett Favre as the comparative. Kobe for sure wants Jeffrey's scoring mark and after that, he will lock in on Malones. By that point, I can see him hobbling and futilely Y NOT'ing his way towards Kareem.

I...I can't believe a Laker fan agreed with me on that.

Vahagn

Last year I might agree with you, but this year, all this passing he's doing and shooting so few shots. He'd be chucking 25 a game if he was chasing scoring records. It seems like reality has hit him and he knows he's not gonna supplant Jordan as the GOAT. Even if he does come back after next year, it won't be for 30 mil and he'll still probably be an elite 2 guard.

Last year I might agree with you, but this year, all this passing he's doing and shooting so few shots. He'd be chucking 25 a game if he was chasing scoring records. It seems like reality has hit him and he knows he's not gonna supplant Jordan as the GOAT. Even if he does come back after next year, it won't be for 30 mil and he'll still probably be an elite 2 guard.

You are completely fooling yourself if you think Bean is retiring before he passes Jeffrey in all time scoring.

It's the only thing he has left in regards to Jeffrey. He will crawl to 32k points if he has to.
After that, if he convinces himself he can still go, he will get his Brett Favre on.

Even for assists he's probably thinking that if he plays 2 more seasons, he's a lock to be in the top 20 in assists all time...

Gulp ... I tend to agree with this as well. Last year I thought he would chuck his merry way to Kareem's record and take us all along for the ride. I think he honestly just wants to win right now.

You are completely fooling yourself if you think Bean is retiring before he passes Jeffrey in all time scoring.

It's the only thing he has left in regards to Jeffrey. He will crawl to 32k points if he has to.
After that, if he convinces himself he can still go, he will get his Brett Favre on.

If he plays the way he's done so this year, I'm fine with him farving it up.

charsace

Kobe wants that sixth ring and a high ranking on the totals lists. Kobe and Jordan are playing some of twisted game with each other and it was made obvious with how he went after Lebron on defense near the end of the 4th.

Vahagn

I didn't say that, I said I don't think he's staying past next year to chase scoring records. He'll get to 32,293 before next season is done. He's already almost at 31k. I'm saying he's not going to want to stay in LA 4 years from now just to chase scoring records and demand 30 million a year to do it.

One of the things Jordan did with the bulls was outlast his entire generation and then retire before the next generation reached their prime. He never got schooled by anyone. Kobe outlasted his generation but because he's playing 17 seasons instead of 15 - the next generation is passing him by - like AI, TMac, Vince, and Kobe did to Wizards Jordan.

He's not staying around getting Lebron to put 50 on him while he struggles to get to 20 just to catch Malone.

If LA has a championship shot after next season he stays, if it doesn't, he retires.

lol

Kobe isn't going to retire while he's scoring 27 PPG on high efficiency.

He hasn't even really had minutes fall off or shown any real decline other than fucks on defense.

Kobe wants that sixth ring and a high ranking on the totals lists. Kobe and Jordan are playing some of twisted game with each other and it was made obvious with how he went after Lebron on defense near the end of the 4th.

See, Kobe being who his is (Phil's second favorite son) he always had his eyes locked on 7, not 6. It was the same dynamic with Jeffrey and Magic.

He has said on many occasions that he wanted that 6th ring so that he could pass Magic who had 5. He wouldn't have been satisfied ending his career tied with Magic.

The Bean wants to be loved more than his predecessor, ala Ja Rule and Tupac.

Simply as tying Jeffrey would be blah, in his mind I would think--he'd want 7 and he ain't getting that.

Vahagn

This is the hyper-competitive guy with a compulsive need to dominate everyone he's around all the time and be better than everyone ever we're talking about here, right?

Yea. But he's chasing magic and Michael not Durant and Lebron. In his mind they're chasing him. Maybe it happens but I doubt he stays long enough to have Kyrie Irving or Durant score 55 on him and blow his team out while he struggles to get half that total like Kobe did to Wizards Jordan.

If Phil retired after 2010 and so did Kobe his legacy would be better then it is now. He would go out on top like Jordan and people would remember him as dominating everyone he played against. I think his legacy has taken a hit these last 2 seasons and I have to believe he's conscious of it.

He'll be past Jordan by end of next year, his team won't have Pau, Nash will be in his 40's - if he comes back just to chase Malone while being schooled on the daily by young bloods, I'd be surprised.

Kobe's mega sensitive. It would be easy to piss him off and get him to accept a trade. As for where, you don't think Brooklyn or the Knicks would come up with that cash in a minute?

They would have to give up some combo of Melo or Tyson to do it. They can't simply absorb his salary. Do you think the Knicks would trade that for a 34 year old Kobe Bryant on an expiring contract? Do you think Kobe would agree to a trade to a team without those pieces in place? Lets remember in 07 he refused to go to Chicago unless Deng was still there so obviously he doesn't want to go somewhere where the cupboard is bare. As for the Nets LOL if you think the Lakers would agree to take back any of their shitty contracts like JJ or Crash or at this point even Deron. It's simply too difficult to find a scenario that adequately pleases both sides, and being that both sides have leverage they have to be.

On top of all of this the idea that the Lakers would want to trade Kobe is crazy to begin with. He is the king of the city. He is the reason fans will still buy tickets and merch when the team is under .500. He is simply worth more to the Lakers than to any other team because of the history and allegiance he has with the fanbase.

lol

Kobe isn't going to retire while he's scoring 27 PPG on high efficiency.

He hasn't even really had minutes fall off or shown any real decline other than fucks on defense.

Yeah ... even with low championship chances he's sticking around. I'm just hoping he continues this current transformation and doesn't chuck the whole way to Kareem's record.

Guys like Jeffrey, Magic, Bean and Favre aren't wired to leave when they should.
They all over stay past their welcome, come back past their prime or both so they just hang on.

And on and on...

The sad truth is, the game is all they really have in life

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I think Kobe will win another title before his career is finished. He's still an elite player.

Lakers should build around him for the next few years. Get rid of Dwight and keep Kobe happy.

Guys like Jeffrey, Magic, Bean and Favre aren't wired to leave when they should.
They all over stay past their welcome, come back past their prime or both so they just hang on.

And on and on...

The sad truth is, the game is all they really have in life

Do you guys ever question the saying that people should leave when they're the best?

What's wrong with playing at "just" a great level?

Or a good level?

Or decent?

I never had a problem with players declining. I mean, in sports, you're competing against yourself first and foremost. I applaud 40something year old people who compete hard.

dalVlatko

Told you guys that earlier thing of him getting a 2 year deal from the Cavs was just his agent trying to hype up interest.

The two year deal is probably still going to happen in the summer

This is likely the Cavs expecting to add some salary by the deadline and telling Oden to wait

RealGM has an article about Phil and his thoughts on Dwight.

Jeanie talked Phil into buying league pass and teams have reached out to him for notes.

Jeanie is going to be mourning the loss of her father and Phil will try and comfort her and the only thing that will calm her is Phil promising to coach the Lakers again. Cue Jeanie's head rising from Phil's shoulder, eyes glowing Thriller style.

The King is dead, long live The Queen.

Do you guys ever question the saying that people should leave when they're the best?

What's wrong with playing at "just" a great level?

Or a good level?

Or decent?

I never had a problem with players declining. I mean, in sports, you're competing against yourself first and foremost. I applaud 40something year old people who compete hard.

Phil Jackson once said the hardest person to coach is the aging superstar.

The ego is not always aligned with physical ability.

MooseKing

Banned
The laker's cannot trade kobe without his approval.....period.And if he does agree, it has to be to a contending team. Do you know any contending team that has 30 mil to spare? Didn't think so. Unless you believe kobe loves jordan so much he'd agree getting traded to the bobcats lol.

Kobe for Bargnani.

MooseKing

Banned
Who can they bring in at this point?

AAHE241_16x20-2006RaptorsNo1NBADraft%257EAndrea-Bargnani-Posters.jpg

RT @KBergCBS: One deal on the table for the Bucks is Luc Mbah a Moute and a first-round pick to Orlando for J.J. Redick, sources say.

The Prince has been pretty disappointing this year on offense but he's cheap and plays good D

whatever

Vahagn

See, Kobe being who his is (Phil's second favorite son) he always had his eyes locked on 7, not 6. It was the same dynamic with Jeffrey and Magic.

He has said on many occasions that he wanted that 6th ring so that he could pass Magic who had 5. He wouldn't have been satisfied ending his career tied with Magic.

The Bean wants to be loved more than his predecessor, ala Ja Rule and Tupac.

Simply as tying Jeffrey would be blah, in his mind I would think--he'd want 7 and he ain't getting that.

Kobe wants 12 but he ain't getting more than 5. If this super team didn't work, it won't work anymore. Kobe's not the best player anymore and 3 guys who are better then him all have better teams for the foreseeable future. He's gonna be left thinking about that Detroit series all his life.

And I think he knows this. When you're young and stupid you think getting 5 or 6 chips is easy (not 6 not 7)...but when you're at the tail end of your career you realize how few people have actually done it. The greatest SF of all time only has 3. The greatest PF ever only has 4. The greatest PG ever only has 5 and the greatest player ever only has 6.

I think Kobe realizes how tough It is and is gonna be fine. Lebron doesn't get it yet though, he will.

Yeah ... even with low championship chances he's sticking around. I'm just hoping he continues this current transformation and doesn't chuck the whole way to Kareem's record.

I'm pretty sure Kobe got on PEDS last summer though. His decline offensively was pretty obvious over the last couple of years even to the point where dude had to get his knee drained several times during the playoffs. It really looked like the beginning of the end until this season where he all of a sudden looked even better than his MVP year.

And I think he knows this. When you're young and stupid you think getting 5 or 6 chips is easy (not 6 not 7)...but when you're at the tail end of your career you realize how few people have actually done it. The greatest SF of all time only has 3. The greatest PF ever only has 4. The greatest PG ever only has 5 and the greatest player ever only has 6.

Brons only got 1.

Top Bottom