• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Feb NBA Season lOT| Controlling it like a man, bruh

Sanjuro

Shaq is getting his jersey retired in April, I doubt he'll ever get a statue.

That's awesome. Statues are overrated anyway. The only one we have is for Bobby Orr, as the everything to do with the Garden is skewed towards the hockey side of things. Bill Russell is apparently getting one away from the building in the next couple years or so.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
You think Gretzky did more for the Los Angeles sports landscape than Shaquille O'Neal? Are you on drugs?

Never said anything about Los Angeles sports culture. Why is that even a question?
But are you saying that you have the best player ever on your team and you don't put up a Statue?

Sorry just realized I did reply to a comment saying that Shaq wasn't more deserving. My bad. I focused more on Gretzky deserving a statue.

numble

Even Starbury has a statue:
rtlcfjh.jpg

Sanjuro

Never said anything about Los Angeles sports culture. Why is that even a question?
But are you saying that you have the best player ever on your team and you don't put up a Statue?

What's your point then? Also, Gretzky wasn't the best Kings player of all time.

KingGondo

Banned
Anyone interested in the draft should watch Oklahoma State-Kansas tonight.

Marcus Smart (OSU) and Ben McLemore (KU) are likely to be 2 of the top 5 picks in this year's draft.

ESPN 2 at 9 ET.

charsace

I'm sorry, but even if Gallo and Gay were making the same money I would take Gallo. I also think Gay isn't in the same tier as Gallo and a guy like Paul George. What does Gay bring to a team that Gallo doesn't? Gallo does everything Gay does and more. And the things Gay is good at Gallo does them better.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I'm not a Kings fan (who is?), so I'm not really aware of all the dynamics with the team over the years.

I would say Robitaille probably is the highest regarded.

I am a hockey fan. And I will say that no one is as highly regarded as Gretzky.

Robitaille was awesome and played 14 seasons in LA (three different stints with the team). So he is more the hometown choice. He was drafted by the Kings as well.
But his points per game were nothing compared to Gretzky's during his time with the Kings. Which was not even the prime of Gretzky's career.
Gretzky was the best Oiler, King, Blue, or Ranger to ever play the game.

The NHL retired his jersey league wide. Number 99 hangs from every rafter in the league. He deserves to have a statue in front of every home arena he ever played in.
Think about it, he has more assists throughout his career than players have points. That's insane! He is the only player to ever break 200 pts a season and he did it four times!

It's really too bad that he went to play in the states. His greatness just wasn't and isn't appreciated. I grew up in Calgary, Alberta and our rivals were the Edmonton Oilers and my lame hometeam fandom blinded me to appreciating how good he was when he was still playing for the Oilers. I had his rookie card and tore it up after a heart breaking loss where he scored the winning goal against my Flames. Haha. It wasn't in good shape anyways.

Ok back to basketball.

Dwight will never deserve a statue in LA.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I'm sorry, but even if Gallo and Gay were making the same money I would take Gallo. I also think Gay isn't in the same tier as Gallo and a guy like Paul George. What does Gay bring to a team that Gallo doesn't? Gallo does everything Gay does and more. And the things Gay is good at Gallo does them better.

Oh well Chars, I don't agree. But that's cool man. It's not worth debating anymore. I'm glad the Raptors have him. It's been fun to watch the lone Canadian team win.

Oh wait. One last thing. Would Gallo fit in as well with this group of players? Gay and Lowry are good friends. Derozan gets along great with him too it seems.
I think that is a big deal and I think it's visible how well those guys get along.

The only thing Gallo has going for him is that he's never been unleashed. He's never taken a decent bulk of attempts per game like Gay has so it's possible that he could conceivably be a 20+ppg player with some ease.

By the same token he's a consistent 42 percent guy which makes Gay look efficient career wise by comparison.

One of Shaq's biggest mistakes of his career is not relenting to an emerging Kobe Bryant. He should of cemented his legacy in LA and not hop around teams.

That's awesome. Statues are overrated anyway. The only one we have is for Bobby Orr, as the everything to do with the Garden is skewed towards the hockey side of things. Bill Russell is apparently getting one away from the building in the next couple years or so.

The best Boston-area statue is Doug "Hail Mary" Flutie on the Heights.

Top Bottom