• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Feb NBA Season lOT| Controlling it like a man, bruh

One of Shaq's biggest mistakes of his career is not relenting to an emerging Kobe Bryant. He should of cemented his legacy in LA and not hop around teams.

I like when players stay on one team their entire career.

Really wish Jeffrey had just left after #6.

That Wizards shit was a blemish on once in a lifetime career.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I'm talking about Kings players. He was certainly the best player to have played for the Kings, but not the best for the franchise.

He put up the best stats of any Kings player ever (1.7 pts per game as a King). The Kings won their division for the first and only time in franchise history in his third year there and went to their first Stanley Cup finals with him as well.

I don't get how he couldn't be the best player for the franchise. Your team got the best player to ever play the sport and you are debating whether he was the best player the franchise has had.

A true superstar came to Los Angeles, taking hockey to heights never encountered before in Southern California. Aug. 9, 1988 - the date that changed the future of hockey in Los Angeles. The Kings acquired Wayne Gretzky, regarded by most as the greatest hockey player of all time. The effects of Gretzky in a major media market like Los Angeles were felt immediately, giving the Kings front-page status on a regular basis for the first time in club history. A ticket to a Kings game went from being one of the easiest to acquire to one of the toughest. Kings merchandise, thanks in part to the new silver and black team colors, soared to high levels in popularity across North America. Southern California ice rinks, on the verge of extinction, found new life as more were built to accommodate the skyrocketing number of youth hockey participants.

Not the best for the franchise?

charsace

Oh well Chars, I don't agree. But that's cool man. It's not worth debating anymore. I'm glad the Raptors have him. It's been fun to watch the lone Canadian team win.

Oh wait. One last thing. Would Gallo fit in as well with this group of players? Gay and Lowry are good friends. Derozan gets along great with him too it seems.
I think that is a big deal and I think it's visible how well those guys get along.
Yes, he would be better for the Raptors. Gallo can create offense for others, he defends better, and he stretches the floor better too.
The only thing Gallo has going for him is that he's never been unleashed. He's never taken a decent bulk of attempts per game like Gay has so it's possible that he could conceivably be a 20+ppg player with some ease.

By the same token he's a consistent 42 percent guy which makes Gay look efficient career wise by comparison.

Gallo shoots a lot of 3's and hits them at a better clip than Gay and is much better at drawing fouls than Gay. Gallo is fare more efficient than Gay in regards to scoring.

Sanjuro

He put up the best stats of any Kings player ever (1.7 pts per game as a King). The Kings won their division for the first and only time in franchise history in his third year there and went to their first Stanley Cup finals with him as well.

I don't get how he couldn't be the best player for the franchise. Your team got the best player to ever play the sport and you are debating whether he was the best player the franchise has had.

Not the best for the franchise?

I already mentioned the colors. That was done because of the acquisition and the success of the Raiders clothing line at the time. Robitaille had probably about 200+ more goals than Gretzky, played alongside him, and eventually won a Cup as their President.

GAF doesn't like the NBA on TNT theme?

Not really.

rando14

Roundball rock was the music of my childhood. If Comcast ever starts hosting basketball again I'd love for them to bring it back

Vahagn

It's really remarkable how much people forget the extent to which Jordan chucked during his last 3 peat. 30 fga games were pretty routine for him. In fact, if the bulls didn't blow so many teams out and he had to play 38-40 minutes a game he'd probably put up 24-25 shots a game.

I think this whole "shoot 10-15 shots but at a high efficiency and youre an elite scorer" aesthetic is a new trend in basketball.

Edit: Jerry Buss was the guy that got Gretzky in a trade. He sold the team later but that was the thing he was proudest of. Getting Gretzky made the Kings a show just like Magic did with Showtime. That, plus him being the Michael Jordan of Hockey warrants a statue.

giri

It's really remarkable how much people forget the extent to which Jordan chucked during his last 3 peat. 30 fga games were pretty routine for him. In fact, if the bulls didn't blow so many teams out and he had to play 38-40 minutes a game he'd probably put up 24-25 shots a game.

I think this whole "shoot 10-15 shots but at a high efficiency and youre an elite scorer" aesthetic is a new trend in basketball.

is this what you scream out while kobe is behind you?

I'm not sure if there's a single area where that Millsap for Derrick Williams rumor makes any sense, that's impressive work by Broussard.

Williams is on a cheaper contract.

Thats about it.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
One of Shaq's biggest mistakes of his career is not relenting to an emerging Kobe Bryant. He should of cemented his legacy in LA and not hop around teams.

I think he might have if Kobe wasn't such an asshole... Hell half the reason he and wade winning it was so impactful to shaq's legacy was it showed he could play an ancillary role to a star swingman and win it all. Shaq was at fault too cause he wanted to be the man and didn't relent earlier to Kobe but Kobe was the one who made the Lakers a hostile work condition..... Shit the still does.

Sanjuro

Edit: Jerry Buss was the guy that got Gretzky in a trade. He sold the team later but that was the thing he was proudest of. Getting Gretzky made the Kings a show just like Magic did with Showtime. That, plus him being the Michael Jordan of Hockey warrants a statue.

Yup. Not saying he doesn't deserve one, just saying Shaq did more for the LA sports scene overall.

I think he might have if Kobe wasn't such an asshole... Hell have the reason he and wade winning it was so impactful to shaq's legacy was it showed he could play an ancillary role to a star swingman and win it all. Shaq was at fault too cause he wanted to be the man and didn't relent earlier to Kobe but Kobe was the one who made the Lakers a hostile work condition..... Shi the still does.

Nah, if you watch Shaq on TV you can tell that he's a stubborn mule and doesn't take shit as seriously on minute to minute basis like Kobe does. Shaq shows up when it counts but Kobe is bringing it every day; that's the crux of it.

Vahagn

I think he might have if Kobe wasn't such an asshole... Hell half the reason he and wade winning it was so impactful to shaq's legacy was it showed he could play an ancillary role to a star swingman and win it all. Shaq was at fault too cause he wanted to be the man and didn't relent earlier to Kobe but Kobe was the one who made the Lakers a hostile work condition..... Shit the still does.

The issue was money. He wanted near 30 million a year but Buss didn't wanna do that. Him being traded and immediately saying this is D Wade's team to a unproven player was just to spite Kobe.

Remember though, by the end of his tenure Riley was sick of him too. No nonsense ultra competitive people in general didn't get a long with him just like they don't with Dwight.

Who are you referring to? LeBron, Durant, and Harden don't take that many fewer shots than Wilt and Bird and Magic and Doctor J took in MVP seasons (which kind of suggests people thought those players were elite scorers) despite the fact that those guys played in much faster eras so more shots were possible.

Brooklyn wants Pierce.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--nba-trade-deadline-buzz--clippers-end-kevin-garnett-trade-talks-for-now-030112108.html

The Nets' offer centered on forward Kris Humphries, guard MarShon Brooks and a first-round draft pick, but the Celtics want a more substantial package to consider moving Pierce, league sources said.
"The Celtics still highly value Pierce and it wouldn't make sense to trade him for that kind of a package if they're keeping Kevin Garnett," one league source said.
Boston has shown interest in forward Mirza Teletovic and securing another possible first-round pick, but the Nets have shown no inclination to pay that steep of a price for Pierce.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I already mentioned the colors. That was done because of the acquisition and the success of the Raiders clothing line at the time. Robitaille had probably about 200+ more goals than Gretzky, played alongside him, and eventually won a Cup as their President.

Not really.

We still doing this? Ugh.

Luc had more goals for the franchise during his 14 years as a member of the Kings. But less goals per game played a member of the Kings in comparison to Gretzky (who played 8 seasons with the Kings).

And who do you think passed him the puck during that time? Possibly the league leader in assists and points through those years.

It's highly unlikely that Kings merchandise becomes as popular without the greatest player ever being added to the franchise. I doubt NWA starts wearing gear with the hockey team on it without a marketable superstar.

Look you live in LA, I don't. If you think that Robitaille was more important for your home town franchise then you are entitled to your opinion. But this is one of the most ridiculous conversations I have been apart of and I'm pretty sure you are just trolling now. Which is fine too. I've had a slow afternoon.

Cause there have been NO trades yet!

And you weren't just saying Shaq was more deserving of a trophy. You added in that Gretzky was not the best player and most important player in franchise history.

Sanjuro

Look you live in LA, I don't. If you think that Robitaille was more important for your home town franchise then you are entitled to your opinion. But this is one of the most ridiculous conversations I have been apart of and I'm pretty sure you are just trolling now. Which is fine too. I've had a slow afternoon.

:jnc

Sure thing, kiddo.

Career wise Robitaille is the player most associated with the kings but Gretzky changed the perception of hockey in Los Angeles. He made the matter long after he left.

Career wise Robitaille is the player most associated with the kings but Gretzky changed the perception of hockey in Los Angeles. He made the matter long after he left.

This is the most reasonable thing said during this discussion. And truthful. Luc is my favorite hockey player of all-time, but Gretzky was just better and more important. Luc is who Kings fans associate with the franchise, Gretzky is who everyone else does.

Sanjuro

This is the most reasonable thing said during this discussion. And truthful. Luc is my favorite hockey player of all-time, but Gretzky was just better and more important. Luc is who Kings fans associate with the franchise, Gretzky is who everyone else does.

...except I already assumed this. I'm not a Kings fan, but it's pretty well known.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
NO.

Shut your mouth.

I'm serious.

This is from the same source that leaked the KG to the Clipps trade a couple of weeks ago

edit: The Suns are hesitant on pulling the trigger. They want a 1st round pick for him.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
You're right, I fucked reading that conversation all up. My bad.

I still really don't get how Truelize would think Kings fans value Gretzky over Luc. Hell I have more of a connection to Ziggy Palffy than Gretzky.

I think this might just more to do with where I am from and growing up a hockey fan.
Gretzky is king. Therefore I would assume that any team that got him would put him on a pedestal. And I look at it in the way that most of Luc's success during his first stint with the team was hugely influenced by having Gretzky beside him. Everywhere Gretzky went wingers broke records.
So I just figured it would make sense that LA would cherish him most. If Luc is your guy than I totally understand. He was awesome.

I thought the conversation was going more on the statistical side. And all the stats show that Gretzky had the biggest impact on the franchise. Therefore from my point of view he was the best player the franchise ever had.

Do you guys at least see where I was coming from?

Top Bottom