• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Feb NBA Season lOT| Controlling it like a man, bruh

Once Josh Smith moves, the rest of the trades will go down.

I'd be surprised if anyone bigger than him is moved, though. I'm still harboring dreams of trading Perk and pieces for KG, but I can't seen Boston blowing it up yet.

I would love a Perk for KG trade if the Celtics got some young players and that Toronto pick.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Ken Berger said:
I'm told the "right deal" for Rondo would be: Dwight Howard, Chris Paul or a massive haul of assets like Denver got for Melo. Not happening.

LOL

KingGondo

Banned
realgm

That's a lot to ask for a pretty meh pick in a bad draft. The rumored one seems pretty balanced as it stands.
Ultimately I'd be OK with it, if only because it would keep Brooks from starting Perkins against Miami ever again.

Here's a riff on the core Perk for Gortat trade idea:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine/?tradeId=aaoxwey + the Raps pick.

We take Kendall Marshall off their hands, who is a certified bust.

MorisUkunRasik said:
You want Gortat AND Dudley for Lamb, an average pick and Kendrick Fucking Perkins?

Everyone laugh at him!
:(

reilo said:
What do you think I've been doing for 3 years?!
I seem to remember you laughing at me when I told you Harden would be good, too.

rando14 said:
Who will be your next avatar if yall dish lamb?
Somebody with an even more annoying face. HATE ME NOW, BEST-GAF.

KingGondo

Banned
Yea, but you said that about Westbrook, Perkins and Aldrich, too.
Westbrook is indisputably a very good player, he's just dumb sometimes (which I can fully admit).

Perkins can be valuable in the right circumstances, but he's useless against teams without a legit C.

And I can't remember ever saying Aldrich would be decent.

Sanjuro said:
...why...
Dat toughness! Dat championship experience!

Ultimately I'd be OK with it, if only because it would keep Brooks from starting Perkins against Miami ever again.

Here's a riff on the core Perk for Gortat trade idea:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine/?tradeId=aaoxwey + the Raps pick.

We take Kendall Marshall off their hands, who is a certified bust.

8p10n.gif

Sanjuro

Dat toughness! Dat championship experience!

This entire week I've heard nothing but trade scuttlebutt. Only problem is nobody has given a scenario where there is an upside to doing so. There just isn't.

WE GOTTA TRADE KG AND PIERCE!

...for who?

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Amazing that people think Galo is a better player than Gay.
He will be better on paper in some areas.
Shoots a better three ball
Um.... That's it.

Does anyone think that Galo would be hitting game winners? Galo does not have the skills to match up with the leagues best (Bron) and get a good shot at crunch time.
Gay has hit that corner shot for the win many times now.
That alone makes him the better player.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Source?

I'd rather have Dudley than Tucker, especially if we're giving up the Raps pick and Lamb.

Get some perspective man. If this is true the thunder are raping the shit out of the suns. How are you being picky about tucker when Gortat in my eyes make your squad the favorite to win it all!!! The thunders offense will be amazing.

Also good to see I was right about the suns strategy if they can get Perkins back to pre injury levels at his low salary I can't be mad at them for gifting gortat to the thunder. Though I am a bit dismayed that beside injuries and cheap contracts there seems to be no clear plan in who they are targeting in trades.

MooseKing

Banned
So now they should make the same mistake by building around an overrated talent again?

We aren't building around Gay. We are trying to build a half way decent team to make the playoffs. Do I agree with everything? No. BC is trying to save his job.

However, Gay and Demar are playing well together. We have been winning since getting Gay in the line up. Demar has been averaging like 22 or so points since the trade.

Like I said, we need someone who performs in the clutch. People can say anything about Rudy they want, but he performs when he needs to. That is what we need, at least for now.

Also, Gallo is playing well now that he is on a good team that is balanced. How will he perform when he is being double teamed?

Not to mention with Rudy we know what we have. This is the only season Gallo could even be compared to Rudy Gay, and it has not even been Rudy's best season. If he continues to perform the way he has since arriving in Toronto. There is no comparison between the two, Rudy is superior.

...why...

Maybe love was a strong word, but it's probably time to start making moves for the future.

On a related note.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...on_market_but_trade_looking_less_likely022013

To get Boston's Avery Bradley, the Wolves would have to sacrifice Williams and a future first-round pick, according to a league source. That's not happening.

Another name to keep an eye on are Boston's Courtney Lee, whom Adelman likes, according to a team source. Lee played for Adelman in Houston.

But another team source said the Wolves were not inclined to offer a four-year deal, which Boston eventually did, when they talked with Lee's representative last summer. In other words, the contract could bother the Wolves.

Sanjuro

Maybe love was a strong word, but it's probably time to start making moves for the future.

On a related note.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...on_market_but_trade_looking_less_likely022013

I don't really see a future either way. You can make a trade and get sub-par players. There are no superstar FA available this offseason, if there were there aren't many lining up to come here. Then you have the draft where there is nothing to be had of significant value there.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Makes me sick to my stomach when I think about Josh Smith and Monta Ellis on the same team.
Please of please make Ellis go away.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Perkins does not have a low salary.

If he was healthy it would be low. Considering how he plays now yeah its more than he deserves but look at it from the suns POV if they get him healthy and playing like he was for Celtics defensively then 7 million isn't that high

I don't really see a future either way. You can make a trade and get sub-par players. There are no superstar FA available this offseason, if there were there aren't many lining up to come here. Then you have the draft where there is nothing to be had of significant value there.

Superstar free agents or not the worst thing the Celtics could do is continue to be a team that is barely in the playoffs as a 7th or 8th seed. May as well start the tank now while Rondo is out.

Flash

If he was healthy it would be low. Considering how he plays now yeah its more than he deserves but look at it from the suns POV if they get him healthy and playing like he was for Celtics defensively then 7 million isn't that high

perkins was a center who happened to be on a good defensive team

he really should consider sending gifts to KG, Doc and Ainge for the rest of his life for setting him up with a contract like that.

Amazing that people think Galo is a better player than Gay.
He will be better on paper in some areas.
Shoots a better three ball
Um.... That's it.

Does anyone think that Galo would be hitting game winners? Galo does not have the skills to match up with the leagues best (Bron) and get a good shot at crunch time.
Gay has hit that corner shot for the win many times now.
That alone makes him the better player.

Gay has a TS% of 47.5 which is fucking terrible

you don't have to pay max money to someone who takes low percentage jumpshots all the time

Sanjuro

Superstar free agents or not the worst thing the Celtics could do is continue to be a team that is barely in the playoffs as a 7th or 8th seed. May as well start the tank now while Rondo is out.

You aren't going to make the playoffs with any other team. Once they are gone, you will be getting a PG in return. Once that happens, Rondo is gone.

This is all moot because you still have KG with a no-trade clause he isn't about to wave. All you can do in this situation is die slowly, there are no other serious options without fleecing a GM.

KingGondo

Banned
Get some perspective man. If this is true the thunder are raping the shit out of the suns. How are you being picky about tucker when Gortat in my eyes make your squad the favorite to win it all!!! The thunders offense will be amazing.

Also good to see I was right about the suns strategy if they can get Perkins back to pre injury levels at his low salary I can't be mad at them for gifting gortat to the thunder. Though I am a bit dismayed that beside injuries and cheap contracts there seems to be no clear plan in who they are targeting in trades.
Our offense is already amazing. The main thing Gortat would bring is the ability to score inside and off the PnR and (theoretically) punish a team like the Heat for playing smallball against us.

You're right that the rumored deal is probably fair.

If we pull that trade, I hope we also go all-out and try to snag Mbah a Moute as well (not sure what Milwaukee would want, though). That would make our lineup:

Westbrook/Jackson
Thabo/Martin
Durant/Mbah a Moute
Ibaka/Collison
Gortat/Thabeet

That would be pretty tremendous. The second half of the season would be spent integrating the new guys, and we would have addressed some of our shortcomings against the Heat without sacrificing much of a chance to take the West again.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes

He's making $9mil next year.

You aren't going to make the playoffs with any other team. Once they are gone, you will be getting a PG in return. Once that happens, Rondo is gone.

This is all moot because you still have KG with a no-trade clause he isn't about to wave. All you can do in this situation is die slowly, there are no other serious options without fleecing a GM.

If only McHale was still a GM.

Sanjuro

KG would never allow a tank.

I don't think they can tank, unless they purposely deal their pieces just to make some kind of statement. From everything I've seen, KG is in winding down mode. I doubt he will waive his no-trade clause or even finish his contract. He seems like an incredibly humble guy when he is interviewed away from the court and seemingly proud of spending his career with only the two franchises.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Gay has a TS% of 47.5 which is fucking terrible

you don't have to pay max money to someone who takes low percentage jumpshots all the time

But what is his percentage in clutch time. There are only a handful of players in the league that consistantly make big plays at the end of game.

Rudy is part of that group.
He is hard to guard. Period.
I am not saying he is a tier one superstar. But I think he is at the top of tier two.

rando14

But what is his percentage in clutch time. There are only a handful of players in the league that consistantly make big plays at the end of game.

Rudy is part of that group.
He is hard to guard. Period.
I am not saying he is a tier one superstar. But I think he is at the top of tier two.

Is he? His FG% with <1 min is 30.8%.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Is he? His FG% with <1 min is 30.8%.

Ok. So what is his percentage in last second game winning shots? :)

Can you show me a game winner from Galo's career?

Do you think that Galo has the skills, athletic ability and mobility to get a shot for himself against Lebron at any time in a game?

rando14

Ok. So what is his percentage in last second game winning shots? :)

Can you show me a game winner from Galo's career?

Do you think that Galo has the skills, athletic ability and mobility to get a shot for himself against Lebron at any time in a game?

2013 Last 10 SEC 2 FGM 6 FGA FG% 33.3%

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
2013 Last 10 SEC 2 FGM 6 FGA FG% 33.3%

Wow you have all the stats. Haha.

Well I have seen him hit two game winners this year since the trade and last year he hit two (IIRC) as well, one of them over Bron.
Rudy's length in those situations has been huge.

Lol, at Rudy Gay being at the top of tier 2. He's at the bottom, if he's even in that tier at all.

Ah ok. Maybe I jumped the gun.
Outside of current allstar small forwards I think Rudy is right there.
I'm not a Rudy gay defense team captain or anything, I just like his length and ability to get his own shot.
I think I still pick Rudy Gay over Paul George and Gallo. But I'm not a GM and I'm not ripping apart every stat.

I have just seen Rudy match up with th best SFs in the league and he has done well. Not a lot of players in the league that can do that.

KingGondo

Banned
Yea, now you're stuck with him.

If teams were hesitant to take on KP at 9 mil. I can't imagine they want a hurt KP at 9 mil. Obviously you think OKC is faking his injury to keep healthy while they try to deal him, but it's probably more likely that he just is hurt again.
I was being tongue-in-cheek.

Top Bottom