• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Feb NBA Season lOT| Controlling it like a man, bruh

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knic...JnSipRfylFK?utm_medium=rss&utm_content=Knicks
Asked if he had spoken to Smith about his behavior, an angry Woodson said: “I’m not happy about how we played and how we carried ourselves professionally on the basketball court. We can’t do that. I’m not going to tolerate that. I’m just not.’’

Smith also had an incident with the Knicks’ mild-mannered assistant coach, Herb Williams. In the first half, Williams and Smith exchanged angry words on the bench during a timeout. After the game, Williams’ anger seemed to carry over.

As Smith talked to a media scrum, Williams walked over and ordered Smith to take his headphones off while he was addressing reporters. Smith’s headphones were draped around his head. Smith took them off and Williams shook his head in disgust as he walked away.

if knicks officials really are pissed off at smith, how about some yknow, accountability? yank him off the floor the moment he acts out of place and dont give him any more minutes. dude let a few good games against meh teams get to his head

Wow! You went there?

That's your best answer? So you assume that you know so much more about his sport than I do that you need to take your comments to a personal level?

You need to tell me to shut up and stop posting?

Unless you have been playing, coaching and watching this sport for over 30 years I guarantee the time you have put into this sport pales in comparison to what I have.
And I definitely guarantee that you wouldn't have the balls to talk to me like that face to face.

I asked an honest question, pretending to not have my own incredibly strong opinions based on my own knowledge because I enjoy seeing others points of view.

So either contribute to the conversation and answer the question... Or take your own highly educated advice.

CP3 uses change of pace and a ridiculously efficient dribble to create space for himself to get solid looks from inside 20 feet. He'd get to the paint more if he had more credible shooters and DeAndre Jordan was a threat but the paint gets a bit clogged up for him as a result. He's also often defended by much better wing defenders like a Tony Allen at times.

Parker doesn't get his own shot off as easily in isolation. He gets multiple screens, especially off the ball, to free himself and get a step on the defense. And as I mentioned, as a result he's assisted more often.

Cp3's shooting efficiency is remarkable considering the type of shots he has to take (a lot of bailouts).

So he's better at playing off the ball too? So much for better by every known measure.

Though I don't see how stating how often Tony is assisted has anything to do with how well he creates shots for himself. Whats next, you're gonna mention how often Tony creates off pick-and-roll? Cause hes better at that too.

Oh lord. This thread fucking sucks, I agree. I'm happy we're in community now. At least now no one reads this shit.

No one really knows how Chris Paul would do off the ball since he isn't asked to do it. He is the entire team's offense. Parker plays off ball because he plays with Timmy and Ginobili. Manu can create as good as any player in the league.

My point with the assisted number is that Parker has shots created for him, CP3 does not. Blake still doesn't get doubled (Duncan did for a large part of TPs career) and he doesn't have anyone who can create like Manu can.

I thought the Knicks organization loved JR.

woodson loves JR. dude has been coddled since last year by him and earlier this season it looked like he was able to keep his stupid in check. but its all falling apart now. when JR first came in there were rumors about melo not being really happy about the decision but it was just a rumor.

lol. btw is kmart playing today? NY nuggets time.

oh shit whats good syphon. kmart is getting his physical today i think and itll probably be another week or so before he plays. they didnt really give a timeline when.

since Dwight is staying with the Lakers forever and ever and with the new tax penalties coming into play next season, they'll be on the hook for 80 million extra dollars

Kobe is so getting amnestied

since Dwight is staying with the Lakers forever and ever and with the new tax penalties coming into play next season, they'll be on the hook for 80 million extra dollars

Kobe is so getting amnestied

with the new cable deal, Lakers salaries + tax + revenue sharing would still leave gate and merch and national TV receipts untouched.

Pau would be much more likely to be amnestied than Kobe. Kobe brings in the money. But money really shouldn't figure into it. They'll be profitable and it will only be an issue for one season.

Let's say, for the sake of this argument, the Lakers somehow win the championship next year.

Kobe's not re-upping?

How is that not an issue going forward?

For $30 million a year? no. They'll do what Boston did with KG and Spurs did with Duncan. Even if Kobe doesn't accept it what will he do? No one will have the cap space or the stupidity to offer him $30 mil per year.

Pau off the book and if he wants to stay here will also take a pay cut from $20 million.

MWP and Blake off the books too.

It was a lot higher than 200 million.

Think he meant per year.

max?

Whether LA gives it to him or not

Kobe's max that off-season will be like $33 million. No one is giving him that. He's taking a less than max deal.

Vahagn

If Kobe wants to re-up after next season, I could see him take less money. But in reality Pau and Peace come off the books after that season so they'd have to ALL re-up...so it's a weird situation anyway.

One big enough to affect the cap.

I mean, c'mon, Ben Gordon makes 12.5 million...

Kobe isn't gonna ask for $30 million a year but he'll ask for enough to matter.

He ain't playing for the veteran's minimum...

Even if Kobe takes $20 million a year, that alone saves the Lakers a lot of cash from the $30 mil he makes. I think he may end up at $15 million and if Pau stays at $10 million. From $50 million to $25 million would not only save $25 million but all the luxury tax savings.

Lakers will have no qualms spending $100-130 million to field a title contender.

And Kobe brings in a lot of money to make up for it.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
There ya go. Thanks Mamba.

Due to the emotional attachment that a lot of posters have towards their own opinions I rarely give my own. At least not as strongly as some do.

I said earlier I think it is near impossible to figure out which PG is best.
I think there is a big correlation between how much responsibility a player has regarding executing the offense properly and understanding where his ceiling is as a playmaker.
Meaning its hard to judge how good a player is in comparison to another without having them play in the same system.

Much easier to compare power forwards than point guards.

Could Parker have similar success with the Clippers with more freedom?
Would the Spurs play a more open style and give Paul more freedom to create due to his ball handling, playmaking and decision making skills?

I think Parker benefits greatly to the offense he plays in. He knows where he will get his shots and has developed "go to" moves that work within their offense. I think the fact that Parker has played in that offense for as long as he has means he does have more "go to" moves.

But I think Paul is the better player. Parker didnt have a similar skill set at the same time in his own career. On the flipside Paul hasn't had the benefit of being with a great coach with a great system.

I think Paul is a more dangerous player but I think coaches currently fear Parker's ability to execute more.

Even if Kobe takes $20 million a year, that alone saves the Lakers a lot of cash from the $30 mil he makes. I think he may end up at $15 million and if Pau stays at $10 million. From $50 million to $25 million would not only save $25 million but all the luxury tax savings.

Lakers will have no qualms spending $100-130 million to field a title contender.

And Kobe brings in a lot of money to make up for it.

$20 or $15 million per for how many years?

I could see Kobe wanting at least 4 years, (ala Brett Favre) which puts him over 40 in his final year.

Nash's current contract takes him past 40...

Hell, even Fish wanted a contract that would have taken him into his 40s or damn near it.

$20 or $15 million for how many years?

I could see Kobe wanting at least 4 years, (ala Brett Favre) which him over 40 in his final year.

Hell, even Fish wanted a contract that would have taken him into his 40s or damn near it.

Why would the years matter? He'll get 3 years IMO, since pretty much all old players get that. But if he retires then the money comes off the books.

You're thinking too hard about this. They can sign Kobe and let Pau walk and be under the cap. Or they can sign both and have the MLE to use. They'll be under the Luxury tax in the 2014 offseason no matter what and it would be difficult to get more than the apron over it.

Unless Lebron wants to come to LA, I don't see any foreseeable issues. Who will be a FA to bolt?

Vahagn

I could see Kobe wanting at least 4 years, (ala Brett Favre) which puts him over 40 in his final year.

I know I have nothing other than recent Kobe comments to base this off of, but I doubt you're right.

He's talked on several occasions about not wanting to make the MJ and Magic mistake. Basically have a chance to go out on top and either not take it, or take it and come back. I really believe, from the way he talks about Jordan, that he knows he's not catching him on the all time pantheon. Even if he gets 6, he won't be MJ. But if he gets 6, he'll be greater than Magic, and I think that's what drives him. Pass Magic, tie MJ, and then retire as a top 5 player and the second best perimeter player after Jordan.

giri

Wow! You went there?

That's your best answer? So you assume that you know so much more about his sport than I do that you need to take your comments to a personal level?

You need to tell me to shut up and stop posting?

Unless you have been playing, coaching and watching this sport for over 30 years I guarantee the time you have put into this sport pales in comparison to what I have.
And I definitely guarantee that you wouldn't have the balls to talk to me like that face to face.

I asked an honest question, pretending to not have my own incredibly strong opinions based on my own knowledge because I enjoy seeing others points of view.

So either contribute to the conversation and answer the question... Or take your own highly educated advice.

All that ranting and yet you post

Whoa. CP3 is better at creating shots for himself?
What kind of shots? One foot fade away jumpers at the free throw line?
TP is ridiculously skilled at getting to the hoop and even better at getting inside the paint (just below the free throw line) for his floater.

What does CP3 have that is similar?

I'm asking an honest question here. I don't recall seeing CP3 having a "go-to" move yet.
He is can iso the crap outta someone and get to the hoop yes. But what does he do consistently that he does well enough that he finds a way even against great defense?

I dare suggest you should stop chest thumping and go watch CP3 play.

I'm not even a fan of him in general, and don't think he's the best PG in the game (though he might be this season).

It was an honest answer to an honest question. There's watching basketball, then there's watching basketball. If you focus on CP3 alone in 4th quarters from this year, you won't need to ask.

I'd rather have not just spoon fed you some contrived opinion of my own.

Emwitus

CP3 is still better than Parker.

Also the '07 Hornets missed the playoffs because West missed 30 games (winning record when he played). Paul's great but even he can't make Marc Jackson relevant compared to West. Rasual Butler was also starting.

CP3 isn't a fast PG but he is a master at changing pace. And while not being speedy, he isn't a slow plodder.

Look, TP is great but we've seen the Spurs chug along without him. The Clippers basically fell apart without CP3.

i know its getting cool to shit on parker over cp3, but lets not go overboard here. spurs without parker arent going anywhere

linsivvi

Think he meant per year.

Yep, $200M per year, for 20 years.

Kobe helped us win 5 titles, if he wants $20M a year until he's 40, let him have that.

That's what Dr Buss would do.

Vahagn

i know its getting cool to shit on parker over cp3, but lets not go overboard here. spurs without parker arent going anywhere

They get a hell of a lot further than the Clips without CP3. The Spurs without Tony in the lineup can beat 75% of the teams in the league.

The Clippers without CP3 are lucky to play 500 ball

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I dare suggest you should stop chest thumping and go watch CP3 play.

I'm not even a fan of him in general, and don't think he's the best PG in the game (though he might be this season).

It was an honest answer to an honest question. There's watching basketball, then there's watching basketball. If you focus on CP3 alone in 4th quarters from this year, you won't need to ask.

I'd rather have not just spoon fed you some contrived opinion of my own.

An honest question to an honest answer is not telling someone to shut up and stop posting.

Telling me to go do something means you assume I do not already do that and do not have my own opinions.

And then you tell me that I am not watching basketball properly.

On top of all of this you accuse me of chest pumping.

And then you fit in one more offensive comment by saying you don't want to spoon feed me (cause I must be retarded) some contrived opinion.

Wow. Thanks for your input.

Tom Penny

They get a hell of a lot further than the Clips without CP3. The Spurs without Tony in the lineup can beat 75% of the teams in the league.

The Clippers without CP3 are lucky to play 500 ball

Spurs could get tons of wins with Pop throwing Darts at a lineup page. I don't see anyone at his level of coaching in the league..although the Spurs have flamed out come playoff time for years.

linsivvi

And then you fit in one more offensive comment by saying you don't want to spoon feed me (cause I must be retarded) some contrived opinion.

I think you get offended too easily. His comments weren't even that personal.

We've had debates a hell lot more personal than this before.

Just go take a drink and chill dude.

Spurs could get tons of wins with Pop throwing Darts at a lineup page. I don't see anyone at his level of coaching in the league..although the Spurs have flamed out come playoff time for years.

Yep, coaching matters. If Pop was coaching the Clippers without CP3 for a whole season, they would still make the playoffs. Hack the Lakers would have home court at this point if he was coaching them.

Having said that, CP3 is still a better player than TP.

Emwitus

In the nba, being a very good coach can only take you so far. This is a superstar league through and through.

Vahagn

It's cuz they over achieve during the regular season. They really aren't the most talented team in the West and it shows when they go up against bad matchups in the playoffs.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I think you get offended too easily. His comments weren't even that personal.

We've had debates a hell lot more personal than before

Hey I wasn't saying I was offended by that comment. I said it was offensive. That that was an attempt. And without the context of his previous "shut up and stop posting" it doesn't seem like much.

Like I said I don't get personal during debates (try not to, still human). Having emotional attachment to your opinions can blind you to what others see. And if you fail to see things from any point of view other than your own you don't grow in understanding.

Anyone that tries to say A is better than B better have some damn impressive arguements to back up to that opinion. Because most people that reply will come at that statement ready to battle.

Where as saying A is better than B in certain situations can more easily start a debate that can be enjoyable by all parties.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
It's too bad that there arent more great coaches in the league like Pop. I would love to see what a player like DMC could be like if he was held accountable. So many good players wind up in situations that don't help them develop.

Free Fredette!

giri

An honest question to an honest answer is not telling someone to shut up and stop posting.

Telling me to go do something means you assume I do not already do that and do not have my own opinions.

And then you tell me that I am not watching basketball properly.

On top of all of this you accuse me of chest pumping.

Wow. Thanks for your input.

You can interpret all those things that way if you wish. Of course, they weren't said that way. But you know, what ever.

The Spurs have multiple superstars, Manu Ginobili, and tons of great role players, not sure their talent level is that low...

edit: Thorpe wrote an article praising Austin Rivers today, guess Rivers is a new client of his.

giri

The Spurs have multiple superstars, Manu Ginobili, and tons of great role players, not sure their talent level is that low...

edit: Thorpe wrote an article praising Austin Rivers today, guess Rivers is a new client of his.

Are we still calling manu a superstar? Has he played more than half a season in any of the last 4 seasons?

And i think their talent is just maximized compared to other teams, not that it's necessarily that overwhelmingly loaded.

Of course, having pop, td, and tp helps.

Vahagn

It's not low, but it's lower then their ridiculous regular season records these past few years. Especially when you consider they sit their guys 5-8 games a season, plus Ginobli is almost always injured and TD misses a chunk of time each season too.

What Pop does with them is like what Thibs does with the Bulls. Over achieves. If he really had the best team in the west the last 4 years he wouldn't get a free pass for all of the bad losses in the playoffs. (swept by the Suns, Beaten by an 8th seed, only made the WCF once since 2008) etc.

Are we still calling manu a superstar? Has he played more than half a season in any of the last 4 seasons?

And i think their talent is just maximized compared to other teams, not that it's necessarily that overwhelmingly loaded.

Manu played in 80 games in 2011 and 75 in 2010. He's at 43 this year. 12 & 4.5 in just 24 min and nearly 60% TS%...

No, I'm saying Parker and Duncan are superstars, Manu has declined a bit.

Cuban is saying stuff that I say on message boards, except I'm not actually serious.

But seriously though, amnesty Kobe. It's the sensible business decision. He's not making that franchise 60 million a year and he's a team cancer.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
You can interpret all those things that way if you wish. Of course, they weren't said that way. But you know, what ever.

"Shut up, stop posting" is not something I can interpret as "hey I appreciate your contributions to the thread"!

And if you think I need an interpretor to understand your posts better, please provide one.

But after my first reply you could have easily just said "my bad" or better yet... Stopped addressing me in your posts altogether. It's a waste of all of our time and it derails the thread.

Don't worry everyone I'm done with this conversation. Onto more basketball talk

Vahagn

Cuban is saying stuff that I say on message boards, except I'm not actually serious.

But seriously though, amnesty Kobe. It's the sensible business decision. He's not making that franchise 60 million a year and he's a team cancer.

I can't tell if you're joking.

Everyone on this team except for Dwight likes Kobe. Dwight's the team cancer at this point who's pouting because Kobe isn't letting some un-proven chump come in here and get equal pull in his franchise.

Not to mention that Dwight hasn't been able to convince anyone at all on this team that he is ready to lead his own brain in one direction without changing course every week, let alone a team of grown men who are older than him, and far more accomplished than him.

Top Bottom