• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Feb NBA Season lOT| Controlling it like a man, bruh

linsivvi

Brown and Ariza both stood about as good once they left LA. Ariza effeciency went down the drain tho, but thats because he went from garbage man to main piece of the offense. Same will happen to Clark. I agree that LA shouldn't dish out a big contract for him, but he fits his role perfectly, like Ariza did.

He'll be ass as a 2nd 3rd or even 4th option Like Ariza. I'd gladly keep him if his market price isn't stupid high, with the new CBA I'm hoping that's the case.

Ok, then we don't disagree. I just don't think he should ever start over a healthy Pau.

Much of Tony's success comes from Tim Duncan and Gregg Popovich molding him into what he is today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26ap8pCJ62c

OK. Sure. You can take away from Tony and credit Pop.

Or you can recognize, when you are comparing the two head-to-head, Tony's team runs a better offense, and a large part of that is Tony's talents.

Much of Tony's success comes from Tim Duncan and Gregg Popovich molding him into what he is today. But that doesn't take away from the fact that, regardless of circumstance, CP3 has never run an offense this efficient, or been as dominant a scoring threat.

CP3's career might be different if he had Pop. I can say that about a lot of players. But its not, and so he's worse.
CP has the 2nd highest offensive rating in the league for the last two years with lesser talent around him.

Vahagn

Lol at people saying YNB should have been an SG and Harden the PG on that team.

If this season has proven anything it's that Harden is a much much much much much better scorer than YNB, it's not even close.

Also, the difference between Tony and CP3's point guard ability is pretty simple. In LAC and NOH CP3 orchestrated the offense. In SA Pop orchestrates the offense, not Tony. It's much prettier basketball than what the Clippers run when they're not dunking, but it's not because of Tony that their offense is so good.

Even when he sits, and all 3 of their main guys sit, the offense looks flawless. It's a purely system thing, and Pop is a god dang genius.

Flash

I agree they should've started Harden and let the 2 of them share ball handling duties.

Also, if you're gonna trade a top 20 talent to save money, at least feature him more prominently so you can get someone better than Kevin Martin in return.

I think their idea was to make him think he was nothing more than a 6th man, 17 ppg scorer so they could low ball him and keep him on the cheap. Fucked up.

And fuck everyone who thought he should have taken a pay cut in order to stay with OKC. The dude is showing he can be a superstar calibre SG and a centerpiece to a team.

Lol at people saying YNB should have been an SG and Harden the PG on that team.

If this season has proven anything it's that Harden is a much much much much much better scorer than YNB, it's not even close.

it's not so much "you're a PG so you should only have 10 ppg". I'm saying he should have been given PG duties because he is clearly a better decision maker. Isn't that exactly whats happening in Houston with him and Lin?

Westbrook would still be guarding the opposing PGs and the opposing PG would still be guarding him. Unless they want to get burned by Harden.

You're taking this way too seriously. It's Justin Timberlake.
You're right

I think their idea was to make him think he was nothing more than a 6th man, 17 ppg scorer so they could low ball him and keep him on the cheap. Fucked up.

And fuck everyone who thought he should have taken a pay cut in order to stay with OKC. The dude is showing he can be a superstar calibre SG and a centerpiece to a team.
wow if anybody thinks that. Most people think OKC was being cheap. Wasn't the difference between what OKC and Houston offered 5 mil?Then there's the whole one hour to decide thing.

THEN there's the whole not amnestying Perk and Ibaka getting paaid.

Vestal

Did you all see that FG% stat during the Bulls/Heat Game? Pretty impressive

Games shooting less than 40%

LBJ = 1
Durant/Kobe/Harden/CP3/Parker all in double digits if I am not mistaken. Might have been 1 of them with an 8.

Vahagn

it's not so much "you're a PG so you should only have 10 ppg". I'm saying he should have been given PG duties because he is clearly a better decision maker. Isn't that exactly whats happening in Houston with him and Lin?

Westbrook would still be guarding the opposing PGs and the opposing PG would still be guarding him. Unless they want to get burned by Harden.

No the point is, that Westbrick is such a bad PG, that even though he's a worse SG than Harden, you're arguing Harden should be the PG of that team. Take out Harden's name and put in a healthy Wade's or Kobe and you see how silly that is. The guy who's a much better SG than YNB shouldn't have to play PG because YNB is such an ass PG. That's not maximizing talent at all.

Also, Lin and Harden share those duties. I think Lin looks to pass a lot more than Harden does. Lin does get more assists, although not a lot more. Harden is clearly a top 5 wing scorer in this league and any time he has to play PG because your team's PG makes bad decisions is just going to hurt the team.

All YNB needs is someone to take the ball out of his hands when he goes on one of his out of control sprees.

That's what Harden did. They don't have that person anymore since Martin sucks and Durant only does it a little bit.

Brown and Ariza both stood about as good once they left LA. Ariza effeciency went down the drain tho, but thats because he went from garbage man to main piece of the offense. Same will happen to Clark. I agree that LA shouldn't dish out a big contract for him, but he fits his role perfectly, like Ariza did.

He'll be ass as a 2nd 3rd or even 4th option Like Ariza. I'd gladly keep him if his market price isn't stupid high, with the new CBA I'm hoping that's the case.

Speaking of all this...

Hey Lakers-Age, remember how awesome Jordan Farmar told us he would be in New Jersey?

How he was tired of backing up Fish and had to go?

WHO HE PLAY FO'?

If Westbrook is a bad PG then what is Kyrie?

umm, someone whose on a team whose next best players are about as good as the third and fourth options on the Thunder?
and anyway,Irving's efG% is 53% to Chuckbrook's 46%, there's no comparison. I watched one of the Cavs games the other week and damn near every time the ball left Irving's hand his teammates would put up a bad shot or turn the ball over. I mean, you see Zeller play out there? He looks like he should have stayed an extra year in college.
edit: Damn, Zeller used up all four years of college and this is the result?

Kyrie is a mix of Steve Nash and Tony Parker. He has the skills of Nash and the quickness/killer instinct of Parker. I'd kill to have him in Charlotte. He's going to win an MVP award or two before it's all said and done.

Vahagn

Kyrie is a mix of Steve Nash and Tony Parker. He has the skills of Nash and the quickness/killer instinct of Parker. I'd kill to have him in Charlotte. He's going to win an MVP award or two before it's all said and done.

Let's slow it down there buddy. Nash is one of the 4 or 5 best pure PG's ever to play the game.

The Tony Parker comparison is apt, also a little bit of AI with his crossovers too.

Let's slow it down there buddy. Nash is one of the 4 or 5 best pure PG's ever to play the game.

The Tony Parker comparison is apt, also a little bit of AI with his crossovers too.

I should have said shooting skills, he isn't anywhere near the passer Nash is. Yet...

thekad

Banned
Stockton better than Nash loool

Tony's numbers in February:

27.9 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 8.1 apg in 33.7 mpg on 57.6 FG%

Hot damn.

If Lebron wasn't in the league, he'd be the talk of the town. Shame too, cause Tony would be a legit MVP in plenty of other seasons.

Also, seeing it in person, I really, really want to play the Clips again in the playoffs. They have no answers for us whatsoever.
Compare those numbers to Durant and Harden's in the month of February. Parker is great, but don't go overboard. He's in the same spot as he was last year in terms of MVP consideration: ~5th. Hell, everyone had Duncan as the MVP of the Spurs this season until he got injured.

Vahagn

Stockton, Magic, Isiah, Robertson, Kidd>>>>>

Honestly I can't argue with any of those guys. But Nash could easily be on that list too as a pure PG. Maybe he wasn't the rebounder or defender that Kidd and Oscar were. I think Nash in his prime could run a team as well as anyone to ever do it.

Also, the difference between Tony and CP3's point guard ability is pretty simple. In LAC and NOH CP3 orchestrated the offense. In SA Pop orchestrates the offense, not Tony. It's much prettier basketball than what the Clippers run when they're not dunking, but it's not because of Tony that their offense is so good.

Damn, I didn't know Pop was out there passing the ball and making shots.

So every time MJ scored in the triangle, was it because he played in a system which funnels shots to the shooting guard? Do you credit Phil for all of MJ's success too?

No doubt Tony benefits from having Pop, but that doesn't make him any worse. Would Amare be a better defender if he had Pop from day 1? Undoubtedly. Would Josh Smith be more careful with his shot selection? Sure. And would Chris Paul run a more efficient offense? Of course. Every player is subject to a different environment (incl. family, school, coaches etc), and we should take them as who they are, and not who they could have been.

And Paul's game, as great as he is, has a ton of weaknesses. He dribbles the air out of the ball. He isn't very quick. In fact he's slow. He is chronically injured. He gambles on defense because of his slow lateral movement, and frequently can't stay in front of his man. And despite playing with one of the most athletic big men of all time, he hasn't elevated Blake's game to match its potential.

Most importantly, regardless of circumstance, he hasn't won shit. He has missed the playoffs three times out of 7. Look at the 07 Hornets and tell me that team didn't have the talent necessary to make the playoffs. His team got blown out by 58 in a critical game 4 (against the Denver Nuggets of all teams -- CP3 had 4 pts and 6 turnovers that game). Hes never gotten farther than the 2nd round.

He's never had Tim Duncan but he hasn't had scrubs either. He's underachieved, and hasn't matched his pedigree.

Even when he sits, and all 3 of their main guys sit, the offense looks flawless. It's a purely system thing, and Pop is a god dang genius.

Not even true. Spurs are +4.0 pts per 100 possessions with Tony on then off.

Our bench is good, and its amazing to me how much Pop can do with so little talent, but lets not forget its Manu Ginobili handling the ball when Tony sits. Pop doesn't give the reigns to some scrub. You need a brilliant ball handler in order to run the Spurs' offense.

And if Westbrook can average 8 assists a game then I'm pretty sure Kyrie would able to do the same. He's still 20 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead at this age than Westbrook ever was.

MiKeD

Banned

Kyrie's vision is not even 1/10th of what Steve's is, when it comes to passing ability. Calm down.

xnipx

Remember when the thunder could have traded Westbrook for Chris Paul or Rondo but instead they chose to pay him and ibaka and traded harden instead?

Compare those numbers to Durant and Harden's in the month of February. Parker is great, but don't go overboard. He's in the same spot as he was last year in terms of MVP consideration: ~5th. Hell, everyone had Duncan as the MVP of the Spurs this season until he got injured.
If we're comparing February stats, Parker has KD beat. Harden is beasting though. I'm actually interested in who'll win Western conference player of the month lol.

Vahagn

Damn, I didn't know Pop was out there passing the ball and making shots.

So every time MJ scored in the triangle, was it because he played in a system which funnels shots to the shooting guard? Do you credit Phil for all of MJ's success too?

No doubt Tony benefits from having Pop, but that doesn't make him any worse. Would Amare be a better defender if he had Pop from day 1? Undoubtedly. Would Josh Smith be more careful with his shot selection? Sure. And would Chris Paul run a more efficient offense? Of course. Every player is subject to a different environment (incl. family, school, coaches etc), and we should take them as who they are, and not who they could have been.

And Paul's game, as great as he is, has a ton of weaknesses. He dribbles the air out of the ball. He isn't very quick. In fact he's slow. He is chronically injured. He gambles on defense because of his slow lateral movement, and frequently can't stay in front of his man. And despite playing with one of the most athletic big men of all time, he hasn't elevated Blake's game to match its potential.

Most importantly, regardless of circumstance, he hasn't won shit. He has missed the playoffs three times out of 7. Look at the 07 Hornets and tell me that team didn't have the talent necessary to make the playoffs. His team got blown out by 58 in a critical game 4 (against the Denver Nuggets of all teams -- CP3 had 4 pts and 6 turnovers that game). Hes never gotten farther than the 2nd round.

He's never had Tim Duncan but he hasn't had scrubs either. He's underachieved, and hasn't matched his pedigree.

Not even true. Spurs are +4.0 pts per 100 possessions with Tony on then off.

Our bench is good, and its amazing to me how much Pop can do with so little talent, but lets not forget its Manu Ginobili handling the ball when Tony sits. Pop doesn't give the reigns to some scrub. You need a brilliant ball handler in order to run the Spurs' offense.

Without explaining everything I'll just tackle the Jordan/Triangle thing as a contrast to the Parker/Pop system thing.

While I'm not disparaging Parker by saying he's below Paul as a guy who orchestrates and runs his team, let's not get it twisted. Jordan was more dominant scoring before Phil came on board. He was more dominant scoring and getting assists before the Triangle. While the Triangle doesn't make Jordan more lethal (he'd be lethal in any system, just like Kobe or Lebron), it makes role players better by allowing the system to create opportunities instead of their individual brilliance.

As people have stated, the Spurs have a well oiled machine and it runs smoothly with or without Parker. It Obviously runs smoother with Parker, but it runs just fine without him. Whereas we've seen what Jordan can do individually outside of the Triangle, we haven't seen what Parker can do individually in running a team without a system. Even D-Will who ran the Jazz system great recently admitted he's better in a system. What Paul does better than everyone in this league is totally control the flow of the game with the ball in his hands on practically every play. He's unmatched at that imo.

I mean, I don't think Tony is better than Bron or KD. Those guys are nuts right now.

But I firmly believe he is the best PG in the league. Its odd to me that I'm getting so much resistance on this topic cause we had a pretty solid consensus on that point last year in this thread.

And Tony has been even better.

Remember when the thunder could have traded Westbrook for Chris Paul or Rondo but instead they chose to pay him and ibaka and traded harden instead?

lol, they'd be absolutely lethal with Paul. That would need to be vetoed for basketball reasons by Stern.

Kyrie's vision is not even 1/10th of what Steve's is, when it comes to passing ability. Calm down.

Read the next post I made. I was referring to Nash's shooting ability not his passing skills.

thekad

Banned
OKC already has the best offense in the league. I would rather have traded YNotBrook for Marc Gasol or someone like that and amnesty Perkins.

Harden
Sefolosha
Durant
Ibaka
Gasol

Damn son damn

linsivvi

Harden and Durant with the right mix of role players would have been a dynasty combo.

The rest of the Western conference dodged a bullet.

giri

OKC already has the best offense in the league. I would rather have traded YNotBrook for Marc Gasol or someone like that and amnesty Perkins.

Harden
Sefolosha
Durant
Ibaka
Gasol

Damn son damn

Gasol would help cover up for ibaka's stupidity on defense a lot too.

Top Bottom