• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Feb NBA Season lOT| Controlling it like a man, bruh

please

trading crawford for nothing is the best you could've hoped for

and Airiza for Butler is a bad trade since when?

lol

you do realize we're rebuilding right?

trading an asset for nothing and then trading your young soon to be expiring SF who's helped change the tone of your team defensively for an aging vet who's apart of the old big three?

Just fucking slit my throat already.

Barrage

there's about zero chance that this could happen

Between trading Crawford for nothing and trading our best defensive player for a Gilbert Era Wiz has been would be the fucking disaster that finally destroys the demon that is Grunsfeld.

Ariza's got a Player Option, he's gone regardless.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
ah c'mon, C1 looks better than that. thats like the most unflattering image ever.

It didn't look much better in motion, either. Most of that though is due to its by-the-numbers art style.

"What does a jungle look like? Let's look at a photo. Here's a jungle environment. Look at this photo. Does that not look like a jungle? Yes it does. Moving on."

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
lol

you do realize we're rebuilding right?

trading an asset for nothing and then trading your young soon to be expiring SF who's helped change the tone of your team defensively for an aging vet who's apart of the old big three?

Just fucking slit my throat already.

Do you? Rebuilding teams never acquire guys with contracts like Okafor and Ariza in the first place.

Crawford isn't an asset either. Dude is a chucker who directly contributed to Beal's crappy start to the season. He's Jason Terry's asshole little brother. Most rebuilding teams are happy to be rid of guys like him without having to take on any baggage to get rid of him.
Only Beal can save us

you were shitting allll over beal at the start of the season too

crazy because he's done more for wall than anyone else in that entire organization

Branduil

Funny you say that, because it was that style of Bethesda gameplay that led me to try MMORPGs many moons ago.

Once I heard Skyrim compared unfavorably to Witcher series, I didn't even bother. Witcher is boss.

I always want to play EVE online when I read about the crazy stories but it's never as much fun to play as it is to read about it.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I always want to play EVE online when I read about the crazy stories but it's never as much fun to play as it is to read about it.

100% the truth. I tried EVE once and I didn't know what the f was going on. Just a bit overwhelming to start. The stories are definitely better than the actual game.

Do you? Rebuilding teams never acquire guys with contracts like Okafor and Ariza in the first place.

Crawford isn't an asset either. Dude is a chucker who directly contributed to Beal's crappy start to the season. He's Jason Terry's asshole little brother. Most rebuilding teams are happy to be rid of guys like him without having to take on any baggage to get rid of him.

I never agreed with taking on the Okafor and Ariza contracts--I definitely preferred tanking.

And it wasn't so much about trying to move Crawford on his own, I understand the value there is small, but we're inevitably going to have to make some trades next season due to Ariza and Okafor being on the open market, and including Jordan might have added some value to those deals. There's no way that you can't get SOMETHING of value in a package deal for two expirings next season.

I was more concerned with the apparent lack of patience and control our coaching/front office showed. Can this coaching staff not put a lock on one malcontent?

DY_nasty said:
you were shitting allll over beal at the start of the season too

crazy because he's done more for wall than anyone else in that entire organization

I'm not going to feel bad about having concerns about him the first few months. He was historically bad and afraid of the ball--that on top of the fact that we drafted a guy primarily for shooting when his percentages were bad in college. There was zero evidence to support that he'd all of a sudden be Ray Allen in the pros.

Luckily he proved me wrong.

It didn't look much better in motion, either. Most of that though is due to its by-the-numbers art style.

"What does a jungle look like? Let's look at a photo. Here's a jungle environment. Look at this photo. Does that not look like a jungle? Yes it does. Moving on."

the shit looks filthy in motion

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26150767&postcount=1792
The part of the game during and after the weird zero g shit inside the mountain--and whatever you think about that zero g mission, the art style damn sure aint by numbers--looks ridiculous.
but why are we talking about Crysis 1 when no PS3 or 360 game looks better than Dx11 Metro 33....or even Witcher 2.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Haha I knew that comment was awesome.

I don't think Bron can cure cancer. Or at least he is too self conscious of his image to try.

Anywhere outside of Washington is automatically "a better deal."

This isn't Drew Gooden we're talking about here, Ariza has Rings. He's gonna want to be in the Playoff hunt again.

Lol.

Ariza was a min salary player staring down the D-League before the Lakers gave him a shot. He earned a nice 5 year contract out of that with a player option, but I don't think his market value exceeds the 7.8 mil he's going to make with the Wiz next year.

He's not going to use his option. He'll make the money and then go to the highest bidder when he becomes a free agent.

We're talking about a guy who left a championship team for Houston over like 500 grand.

Barrage

Ellis won't get a better deal than 11 Million next year. You think he's going to stay a Buck?

(...And Milwaukee's a lot better team than Washington)

Ariza is gonna pick up his option and hope he gets traded. No reason to leave all that money on the table when you're only gonna play 40 or so games in Washington before you get sent packing.

exarkun

Is Ariza starting yet or still coming off the bench? Cause if hes still coming off the bench for the Wizards, dude is already gone. Even if he takes a pay cut, he'll want to be somewhere where he can win consistently. He is getting to that age where he can't be part of rebuilding unless they'll be on the upswing next year.

Send him to a contender with a strong identity and a coach that can't be pushed around and it would restore him to late Lakers/early Rockets form. It also would have helped the Wizards (though not for Butler). Too late for that!

giri

Is Ariza starting yet or still coming off the bench? Cause if hes still coming off the bench for the Wizards, dude is already gone. Even if he takes a pay cut, he'll want to be somewhere where he can win consistently. He is getting to that age where he can't be part of rebuilding unless they'll be on the upswing next year.

Send him to a contender with a strong identity and a coach that can't be pushed around and it would restore him to late Lakers/early Rockets form. It also would have helped the Wizards (though not for Butler). Too late for that!

Why would you bother investing that much into ariza? lots of other and better talent at SF.

Ellis won't get a better deal than 11 Million next year. You think he's going to stay a Buck?

(...And Milwaukee's a lot better team than Washington)

fuck outta here with that noise

I'm not saying we can keep Ariza once he becomes unrestricted, I don't even know if we'll want him at that point, I'm just saying he's not going to rush things and opt out of his current contract right now, especially when the Lakers and Clippers are going to have some salary off the books the summer he's an UFA.

I don't really know what's going through Montas head. Shit Mayo is making 4 mil per
hefuckedup
. Maybe he knows his ankles are about to explode and wants to hurt up and lock in a long term deal.

Monta will get like $4 or $5 million a year, not sure small guards that can't shoot, pass, make rational decisions, or defend have any value except maybe in a bench role.

For the 1st time Wall has no stupid people/asshole chuckers on his team. Now you want to put a guy who embodies both to the extreme? Why not strap a jellyfish to Wall's nads while you're at it?

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Monta will get like $4 or $5 million a year, not sure small guards that can't shoot, pass, make rational decisions, or defend have any value except maybe in a bench role.

Whoa, that low? I would like to see it happen. Maybe it would humble him enough to play the game smarter.
Or do we have Sprewell version 2 and he says that's not enough to feed his family?

giri

Jamal Crawford and Jason Terry are making over 5M a year. Kevin Martin is making over 12M a year.

Don't be surprised to see Monta get anywhere from 8M - 12M.

Hell, salmons is making over 7M

Hard to predict what someones going to get paid. Not long ago Landry Fields got like 6-7 million per and then a year after that OJ Mayo gets paid 4 million per.

Who has cap space? I'm certain there's a few really stupid teams out there willing to pay him $8 mil.

Charlotte, Orlando, Milwaukee, Philadelphia, Cleveland, Phoenix off the top of my head.

Only team I can imagine paying him is Phoenix.

Jamal Crawford and Jason Terry are making over 5M a year. Kevin Martin is making over 12M a year.

Don't be surprised to see Monta get anywhere from 8M - 12M.

Hell, salmons is making over 7M

This. People seem to forget every year that the market in the nba is fucked up and guys get overpaid every year. Look at Gerald Wallace.

A lot of these situations aren't comparable to Monta's. Monta is hated by his team and has been buried in a small market. Teams can't sell themselves on previous success (small market and no playoff success) or potential (has probably already maxed out and is getting worse) and he doesn't have a weird situation (like Fields or Wallace) that would force a team to overpay him to get another player or where their original team thinks they have to keep him because he's vital (he's been bad and the Bucks are keeping Jennings over him). He's in a similar spot to Crawful and Terry and those guys got $5m a year.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Come on. He'll get a lot more than that. He can and will still put up 20 a game, and that will always have value for teams. Someone will definitely overpay for him.

giri

A lot of these situations aren't comparable to Monta's. Monta is hated by his team and has been buried in a small market. Teams can't sell themselves on previous success (small market and no playoff success) or potential (has probably already maxed out and is getting worse) and he doesn't have a weird situation (like Fields or Wallace) that would force a team to overpay him to get another player or where their original team thinks they have to keep him because he's vital (he's been bad and the Bucks are keeping Jennings over him). He's in a similar spot to Crawful and Terry and those guys got $5m a year.

Explain martin.

It's just selectively telling the story.

I'll be more surprised if Monta gets paid under 10M than if he gets over 10M.

Except Crawful had an awful year scoring wise and Terry is much older.

there are still teams and GMs ignorant to stats other than points per game regardless of efficiency.

Also, last offseason, only Houston and Dallas had real cap space other than the bobkittens. So yeah, there was nowhere for those guys to go for big money. It will depend on who has space. Dallas and Houston won't pay for Monta but Atlanta? Perhaps.

Explain martin.

Martin was pre-CBA and really a different time. He signed that contract a long time ago. He wouldn't get that deal today even if we warp him back a few years in age.

Monta can still get $8-10 million per year, though, but I hope not.

Explain martin.

I think monta will get 8 per, mostly due to the fact that he was a 24+ PPG scorer at one point.

But I don't think IWMTB is wrong, Martin and Salmons contracts aren't worth talking about because they are from the previous CBA and a different era of how money is dished out. A better comparison might be Gallo who's making close to 10 per, but at least he had a ton of potential on his side.

Crawful is 32 and Jet is 35, that had something to do with their contracts as well. Monta will be 27.

Monta's got it all, he's gonna get paid. It's now just a matter of who the hell is gonna ruin their franchise for the next 4-5 seasons.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I found out that you could trade a player between 9am the day after the Finals ends until draft night.

So technically, Atlanta could still trade Josh Smith between when the Finals end and draft night. Then he could walk July 1st.

I bet it's some loophole Cuban is going to exploit.

Crawful is 32 and Jet is 35, that had something to do with their contracts as well. Monta will be 27.

Monta's got it all, he's gonna get paid. It's now just a matter of who the hell is gonna ruin their franchise for the next 4-5 seasons.

Thankfully we have Beal. If we had MKG he'd probably be a Wizard right now.

I can imagine Monta in a bobcats uniform though.

giri

I've got odds its PHX.

The current FO is retarded enough.

Explain martin.

Martin was still coming off a rookie contract and could still be seen to have potential, Monta's coming off his second contract and is getting worse now. There's no potential or previous success with a big market team or in the playoffs with Monta and that's where most bad contracts come from.

I could totally see Joe Dumars signing Monta to a 3 year, $33 million deal.

They'll have at least $20 mil in cap space. Don't even try to tell me Dumars won't overpay someone.

Top Bottom