• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Feb NBA Season lOT| Controlling it like a man, bruh

Jeff-DSA

So I know everyone knows that ESPN's Chris Palmer is a joke but here's some more bits of gold.

He was ranking the best athletes in the NBA he's ever seen.

Russell Westbrook # 1

Kobe Bryant Top 5

Michael Jordan Top 9

Jesus F'ing Christ the gold fish memory on these people is just baffling.

What a clown.

fertygo

So I know everyone knows that ESPN's Chris Palmer is a joke but here's some more bits of gold.

Russell Westbrook # 1

Kobe Bryant Top 5

Michael Jordan Top 9

What The Fuck...

I wonder if some mid lottery team like the Kings or Wizards would trade up with us if we got the number one pick?

no

If anything we would rather move some of our current pieces to get another low lottery pick to grab a guy like Olynyk and just live with Porter or Shabazz.

My only do not want guy is Bennett at this point.

Vestal

Russell Westbrook # 1

Kobe Bryant Top 5

Michael Jordan Top 9

What??
Lets for a second eliminate this as a list of all time and just current. Just cause lol Jordan at 9....
Out of all the current athletes in the NBA he puts YNB as #1.. Huh? Lebron would love to have a few words with him

no

If anything we would rather move some of our current pieces to get another low lottery pick to grab a guy like Olynyk and just live with Porter or Shabazz.

My only do not want guy is Bennett at this point.

Most of the guys where you'll be picking look like they'll be decent fits. I can't say the same for the Bobcats. We need a complete player to build the team around and it's looking like we're going to strike out again this year. 2014 better be kind to us or we're fucked...

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
What??
Lets for a second eliminate this as a list of all time and just current. Just cause lol Jordan at 9....
Out of all the current athletes in the NBA he puts YNB as #1.. Huh? Lebron would love to have a few words with him

Yes exactly. Is this list of the best athletes not named Lebron?
Guess he is getting lots of hits on his site though.

KingGondo

Banned
YNB is certainly a top 5 athlete in today's NBA. But LeBron is on another level. He has all the attributes of YNB in a 6'8" 260 lb. frame.

LeBron is one of the most impressive athletes in the history of sports, period. Not just in basketball.

It's amazing what superior genetics
and HGH
can do.

YNB is certainly a top 5 athlete in today's NBA. But LeBron is on another level. He has all the attributes of YNB in a 6'8" 260 lb. frame.

LeBron is one of the most impressive athletes in the history of sports, period. Not just in basketball.

It's amazing what superior genetics
and HGH
can do.

List your top five then.

Most of the guys where you'll be picking look like they'll be decent fits. I can't say the same for the Bobcats. We need a complete player to build the team around and it's looking like we're going to strike out again this year. 2014 better be kind to us or we're fucked...

Your in a much better place than the Wiz were in 2011. We tried so hard to get a "potential guy" given the field and ended up with Vesely. Don't do that. Pick a guy who you know can contribute for sure but may not necessarily be an all-star.

I think that guy is McLemore. He's the safest thing in the draft in terms of a can't miss starter. If you want to go off of potential go with Noel.

Vahagn

What??

Chris Palmer said:
Been watching the NBA for 27 years. Russell Westbrook is the best athlete I've ever seen.

Yup. Dude's gone full retard.

Chris Palmer said:
NBA's 5 Best Players: 1. LeBron 2. Durant 3. Kobe. 4. Westbrook 5. Melo

I think it's safe to say the guy's got a full raging hard on for YNB at this point.

KingGondo

Banned
List your top five then.
I haven't put that much thought into it.

Off the top of my head (guys who combine leaping ability, speed, quickness, agility)

LeBron
Westbrook

(big gap after these guys, IMO)

Pre-injury Rose
Griffin
DeAndre Jordan

Durant is also an underrated athlete.

There honestly aren't that many guys that have the capability of making you sit up and say "HOLY SHIT" at any given moment in a game. All of those guys can. I'm sure there are some I'm leaving off.

Flash

i'd think ynb is one of the best athletes in the league...but lebron is far and away number 1. he's just a freak of nature

Vestal

i'd think ynb is one of the best athletes in the league...but lebron is far and away number 1. he's just a freak of nature

Its a joke Article.. The guy puts YNB as a top 5 NBA player ffs. Above guys like Parker, Wade, Melo, Dirk etc....

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
He put YNB as a top five player? Ok. Totally a joke article. His opinion is garbage.

Maybe he just really likes YNB's wardrobe.

Jeff-DSA

ESPN gives Palmer money to talk about the NBA. :(

yZDwTVO.jpg

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I don't see any Danny Green and Wes Johnson listed in the top 5

Therefore your list have no creditably

Vahagn

ESPN gives Palmer money to talk about the NBA. :(

yZDwTVO.jpg

Lol that's exactly the stuff I was quoting.

By the way that Lebron stat he posted that "No NBA Player has ever done"...arbitrary nonsense like that pisses me off so much! West, Elgin, Oscar all had FAR MORE CRAZY stat lines then him in Pts/Assists/Rebounds for multiple seasons.

It's just the FG% that makes it special, but it's a joke because people in the 60's and 70's played at a frenetic pace, a pace that no one in today's game has the conditioning to pull off. So yea, the FG% was less, but they scored a lot more points both individually AND as a team in the same 48 minutes.

linsivvi

I haven't put that much thought into it.

Off the top of my head (guys who combine leaping ability, speed, quickness, agility)

LeBron
Westbrook

(big gap after these guys, IMO)

Pre-injury Rose
Griffin
DeAndre Jordan

Durant is also an underrated athlete.

There honestly aren't that many guys that have the capability of making you sit up and say "HOLY SHIT" at any given moment in a game. All of those guys can. I'm sure there are some I'm leaving off.

Top 5 athletes in the NBA right now is reasonable but that guy put YNB as the #1 athlete of all time. If he was a poster here you should put him on ignore immediately.

Bishman

Lol that's exactly the stuff I was quoting.

By the way that Lebron stat he posted that "No NBA Player has ever done"...arbitrary nonsense like that pisses me off so much! West, Elgin, Oscar all had FAR MORE CRAZY stat lines then him in Pts/Assists/Rebounds for multiple seasons.

It's just the FG% that makes it special, but it's a joke because people in the 60's and 70's played at a frenetic pace, a pace that no one in today's game has the conditioning to pull off. So yea, the FG% was less, but they scored a lot more points both individually AND as a team in the same 48 minutes.
proof?

Your in a much better place than the Wiz were in 2011. We tried so hard to get a "potential guy" given the field and ended up with Vesely. Don't do that. Pick a guy who you know can contribute for sure but may not necessarily be an all-star.

I think that guy is McLemore. He's the safest thing in the draft in terms of a can't miss starter. If you want to go off of potential go with Noel.

I like McLemore, but unless we're planning on benching or trading Kemba he'd be a bad fit because of his size. I think it's going to come down to who we like the most of the 2 guards - Shabazz, McLemore, Oladipo, or Smart.

Noel would have been the sure thing, but he's injured the same knee twice now. He's too big of a risk.

Vahagn

There's tons of this stuff. But, For example - in the 1960-1961 season in 73 games

Elgin Baylor averaged 35 points / 20 rebounds / 5 assists a game.

the Los Angeles Lakers that year averaged 114 points per game.

Elgin Baylor shot 43% - There was no 3 point line, so he probably averaged a point or two more a game at the very least.

So if you're shooting only 43% and scoring so many more points without a 3 point line, your pace has to be incredible...and it was.

Edit: Shit - Jordan in the 89 season played 81 games. Dude averaged 32.5/8/8/3 at 54% shooting. That's better than this year's Lebron season EASY.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Kobe and Russ ahead of Melo? LOL what a dumbass.

LeBron and Durant, yes. But not the other two.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Kobe as the third best player in the NBA is even more egregious.

The line between Kobe and KD is very thin and I will take Kobe's experience and will to win over anyone's.
But I just ask. Do you actually use the word "egregious" when speaking?

Jeff-DSA

Westbrook doesn't crack top 5 all time in the NBA for athleticism. No way. He's extremely explosive, but he lacks the body control that guys like Jordan, Iverson, and even prime Wince had. Those guys were so much more in control of their bodies at all times.

"Athlete" is such a broad term what does it even mean when ranking guys? Couldn't you argue that Kobe and Duncan playing at the level they are playing, at their age and nba mileage, makes them supreme athletes?

Derrick knows how to use his body so much better than Westbrook. Westbrook looks like that rich guy that's in over his head driving a supercar.

"Athlete" is such a broad term what does it even mean when ranking guys? Couldn't you argue that Kobe and Duncan playing at the level they are playing, at their age and nba mileage, makes them supreme athletes?

No, it makes them supremely skilled basketball players.

Vestal

Chris Palmer thinks Westbrook is the fourth best player in the league and says Kobe Bryant has the highest bball iq of anyone playing.

You can make a case for Kobe having a top 5 bball IQ.. but not the highest. Lebrons BBIQ this season has been insane, however for me TimmyD has shown his Bball IQ is off the roof, being of that age and still putting up the numbers he is.

Jeff-DSA

Heck, I think CP3 is a better athlete. He's extremely well controlled. Again, I don't like when explosiveness is equated to athleticism.

You can make a case for Kobe having a top 5 bball IQ.. but not the highest. Lebrons BBIQ this season has been insane, however for me TimmyD has shown his Bball IQ is off the roof, being of that age and still putting up the numbers he is.

Kobe's turned steve nash into an off guard cause he dominates the ball so much.....

Derrick knows how to use his body so much better than Westbrook. Westbrook looks like that rich guy that's in over his head driving a supercar.

No, it makes them supremely skilled basketball players.

Really? It doesn't take off the charts athletic ability to play at a high level in the nba well into your 30s? That's all skill? These guys aren't bowlers for crying out loud.

Being a great athlete is nothing more than being fast, jumping high and brute strength. Body control can probably be added to that list. Westbrook is an amazing athlete, just because he's a dumb ball player doesn't mean you should write off his physical gifts. The guy is super quick, gets off the ground and is probably one of the strongest physically at his position.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I think athlete relates to athletic ability. Not genetic traits. Arm span, height do not work into the equation unless its considered as a limit that is overcome. Which is rare.

Speed. Strength. Power.
Are the three main categories I have read are used to measure athletic ability.
With all other traits and skills in sub-categories under those headings.

*facepalm*

And LBJ's done that with Wade what's your point? Any time two great guards play together, one of them gets turned into more of an off guard then they would otherwise be. Your Bball IQ is the one we should question.

lol, what a dumb comparison. theres no point to Nash being on the floor, getting major minutes if he isnt orchestrating the offense. His D is so bad, he negates his own value as an efficient shooter.

Top Bottom