• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Feb NBA Season lOT| Controlling it like a man, bruh

Jeff-DSA

Being a great athlete is nothing more than being fast, jumping high and brute strength. Body control can probably be added to that list. Westbrook is an amazing athlete, just because he's a dumb ball player doesn't mean you should write off his physical gifts. The guy is super quick, gets off the ground and is probably one of the strongest physically at his position.

True, but he loses control all the time and his TOs show that.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Westbrook looks like that rich guy that's in over his head driving a supercar.

Actually laughed out loud to this. Awesome. I agree.
I picture the video of that guy driving his Bugatti into the lake.

It's an excellent comparison actually. Westbrook spends a lot of time looking like he is surprised by his athletic ability. Or he doesn't understand his own limits yet. Hard to explain.
I'm trying to compare it to a young PG that starts having success with going for layups and then dropping off the pass. Sometimes that player starts to just jump when they are planning to pass. Assuming they will figure things out once they are up there.

I like McLemore, but unless we're planning on benching or trading Kemba he'd be a bad fit because of his size. I think it's going to come down to who we like the most of the 2 guards - Shabazz, McLemore, Oladipo, or Smart.

Noel would have been the sure thing, but he's injured the same knee twice now. He's too big of a risk.

Not really. Look at the Clips--that's an undersized backcourt that's effective, and Mclemore is more of a pure 2 than Billups.

Agreed on Oladipo. Not a big fan of Smart at all personally. Shabazz is a good settle pick, but you don't take him with a top selection.

Cats are definitely taking McLemore with a top 3 pick. Might reach on Nerlens.

True, but he loses control all the time and his TOs show that.

Dribbling and ball control are basketball specific. Usain Bolt would have tons of TOs too trying to dribble a ball and run full speed, doesn't make him any less of a world class athlete.

YN couldn't hit a wide reciver running full clip 40 yards down a football field either, but he's still an amazing athlete. His athletecism is the very thing that makes him a good basketball player.

I haven't put that much thought into it.

Off the top of my head (guys who combine leaping ability, speed, quickness, agility)

LeBron
Westbrook

(big gap after these guys, IMO)

Pre-injury Rose
Griffin
DeAndre Jordan

Durant is also an underrated athlete.

There honestly aren't that many guys that have the capability of making you sit up and say "HOLY SHIT" at any given moment in a game. All of those guys can. I'm sure there are some I'm leaving off.

Not a bad list.

While yeah we are less talented (rather less athletic than last year...Brand would be one of the best athletes on this year's team....yeah). The effort is also not there.

We started pretty well but we fell off once teams realized how to stop us (trap Jrue), after that no fucks given.

We have Nick Young, who doesn't give a fuck, Lavoy Allen, who doesn't care. Dorell Wright who thinks he's LeBron. Jrue, has no more fucks to give. the onyl dudes who care are scrubs like Wilkens and Ivey or Hawes who is too free to do anything. Turner kinda cares but he's blocked Doug out.

So that leaves Thad who is coming back from an injury and can't give enough fucks for everyone.

So yeah we are less talented but we could've sneaked into the playoffs if they just played hard some nights....but nope too much swag.

Hopefully major changes and a Stern rigjob on the way out is in our future...but I doubt it.

Plumlee Future

I forgot about Brand. So you lose 3 of your too 6, replace then with nothing, then complain about falling back 10 games.

Maybe their effort has waned because the writing is on the wall. The team has probably overachieved if anything. It's a bad team without Bynum. There's little talent.

Sorry but the effort excuse is bullshit.

PS: I've been saying for a long time that Palmer is the worst nba writer ever.

really hope Johnny Wall develops into a great player, cause athletically hes only a notch below Rose and Chuckbrook.

He's faster than both but his handles aren't as tight so it appears less so in the half court.

I don't know about him. After the first week his play has really fallen off. I'm pretty concerned about his development.

Vahagn

lol, what a dumb comparison. theres no point to Nash being on the floor, getting major minutes if he isnt orchestrating the offense. His D is so bad, he negates his own value as an efficient shooter.

It's actually not at all. And if you think there's no point to having one of the greatest shooters in the history of the game on the floor to shoot, and open up driving lanes for Kobe, and stop Dwight from being double teamed...well you're crazy.

This isn't to say Steve Nash is most effective as a catch and shoot scorer, but neither is Kobe. So if you have two ball dominant guards who share duties, they're going to have plays where the other player is in the corner or on the wing basically waiting for a catch and shoot opportunity. Wade and Lebron do this as well from time to time.

You acting like Kobe playing the same way he's always played, the way that's gotten him 5 championships and 7 finals appearances is evidence of his "low bball iq" is just crazy.

Also, And here's the last thing, I doubt you actually watch many Laker games. While Nash obviously won't have the ball in his hands as much as he used to in Phx, I've never seen Kobe trust another guard to run the offense the way Kobe trusts Nash.

thekad

Banned
The line between Kobe and KD is very thin and I will take Kobe's experience and will to win over anyone's.
But I just ask. Do you actually use the word "egregious" when speaking?

Kobe can't will his stacked team over .500. There's a huge gulf between KD and Kobe.

Emwitus

Chris Palmer thinks Westbrook is the fourth best player in the league and says Kobe Bryant has the highest bball iq of anyone playing.

I agree. Unfortunately his ego is bigger.

Kobe can't will his stacked team over .500. There's a huge gulf between KD and Kobe.

LOL. Get out of here. Nothing kobe could do would overcome the idiocy of d'antoni. It's no coincidence his coming here coincided with us making lots of firsts in losing records.

Vahagn

Kobe's "stacked" team isn't actually very stacked. They've had to play Darius Morris, Chris Duhon, Devin Ebanks, and Robert Sacre significant minutes throughout the season - 4 guys that wouldn't be good enough to play on the Thunder.

Only super trolls like yourself think the gulf between KD and Kobe is huge.

thekad

Banned
Kobe's "stacked" team isn't actually very stacked. They've had to play Darius Morris, Chris Duhon, Devin Ebanks, and Robert Sacre significant minutes throughout the season - 4 guys that wouldn't be good enough to play on the Thunder.

Only super trolls like yourself think the gulf between KD and Kobe is huge.
The Warriors have started Harrison Barnes and Festus Ezeli all season and are six games up on the Lakers.

Emwitus

Even a team with smush as point guard made the playoffs man! I hope jim crys himself to sleep when his surrounded by all those hoes.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
While this thread is active...

March is almost here. OT title ideas go!

Also, PM me anything you want included in the OP.

I forgot about Brand. So you lose 3 of your too 6, replace then with nothing, then complain about falling back 10 games.

Maybe their effort has waned because the writing is on the wall. The team has probably overachieved if anything. It's a bad team without Bynum. There's little talent.

Sorry but the effort excuse is bullshit.

PS: I've been saying for a long time that Palmer is the worst nba writer ever.

Maybe you are too used to just winning based off of talent but the lack of effort plays a pretty huge role in our record.

No shit we suck...but lets be honest we have "sucked" talent wise since we traded Iverson. We lost to the second worst team in the league last night. Orlando has a bunch of random young plays who barely know what the fuck they are doing and we made them look like gods last night.

Dudes put no effort in. No one gives a shit and it looks like they have given up. We aren't the Bobcats. The thing is that the Bobcats play really hard even though they suck. We suck AND don't give a shit.

Bad combo.

Jeff-DSA

2013 Mar NBA Season |OT| Trying to get the pipe.

FkT6Mtu.jpg

Maybe you are too used to just winning based off of talent but the lack of effort plays a pretty huge role in our record.

No shit we suck...but lets be honest we have "sucked" talent wise since we traded Iverson. We lost to the second worst team in the league last night. Orlando has a bunch of random young plays who barely know what the fuck they are doing and we made them look like gods last night.

Dudes put no effort in. No one gives a shit and it looks like they have given up. We aren't the Bobcats. The thing is that the Bobcats play really hard even though they suck. We suck AND don't give a shit.

Bad combo.

Every team has games with poor effort and bad losses. Maybe they are quitting now. But they suck due to talent. They gave up a lot of talent and got little to nothing to show for it. Doug even mentioned this.

Also, And here's the last thing, I doubt you actually watch many Laker games. While Nash obviously won't have the ball in his hands as much as he used to in Phx, I've never seen Kobe trust another guard to run the offense the way Kobe trusts Nash.
Ive seen enough to know what comes when the Lakers give up a massive scoring run (often), the ball dont go to Nash, it goes to Kobe in the post, while the other four guys stand and watch, theres no offball movement.

I mean, I know he scores efficiently from that area, but LA has guys (like Dwight) that try harder on D when they feel involved in the offense.

Vahagn

The Thunder play a useless blob in Kendrick Perkins huge minutes

face it Vag, Kobe aint shit compared to Durant

They're more athletic than almost anyone. Kendrick Perkins being a blob isn't a net negative against anyone except the Heat.

The Thunder win because of their athleticism, chemistry, and defense. 3 Things the Lakers don't have much of.

Durant is a bit better than Kobe this year, but that's about it.

As for your "top 15 in the game" comment because of his lack of defense. Were you saying the same about Nash when he was winning MVP? Or Magic his whole career?

Straight Trolling.

Ive seen enough to know what comes when the Lakers give up a massive scoring run (often), the ball dont go to Nash, it goes to Kobe in the post, while the other four guys stand and watch, theres no offball movement.

I mean, I know he scores efficiently from that area, but LA has guys (like Dwight) that try harder on D when they feel involved in the offense.

LA does great more often than not when Kobe's in the post what are you talking about? The team gives up huge scoring runs when they get turnovers either from Dwight being stripped, or perimeter players like Nash and Kobe making a mistake which is more or less a result of lack of chemistry.

As for Dwight trying harder on D. I feel no sympathy for that nonsense. The greatest Defensive Players in history played great defense and rebounded whether or not they got shots. If Rodman or Pippen, or Dikembo, or Mourning whined and moaned and played with less effort on defense because of how many shots they got they'd be crucified. Yet Dwight gets a pass for that nonsense.

Lulz, advanced stats differences are huge between Durant and Kobe. Durant being drastically better on both sides of the floor being the main sticking point.

Kobe is a bottom 5 perimeter defender 80% of the time he plays.

Vahagn

The Warriors have started Harrison Barnes and Festus Ezeli all season and are six games up on the Lakers.

OKC leads the league in FT%. Lakers are 30th in FT%. OKC makes 3 more FT a game then LA does.

LA's point differential this season is +.9 ppg. All things being even, Dwight shoots 70% from the line, LA has 6-7 more wins this season.

Emwitus

Actually, we started winning when the ball started going into the post

thekad

Banned
Nash didn't hurt his team on defense as much as Kobe does. He was also a much better offensive player.

OKC leads the league in FT%. Lakers are 30th in FT%. OKC makes 3 more FT a game then LA does.

LA's point differential this season is +.9 ppg. All things being even, Dwight shoots 70% from the line, LA has 6-7 more wins this season.

What does any of that have to do with Stephen Curry, Paul Millsap and Larry Sanders leading their teams to a better record than the Lakers with a much worse supporting cast?

Basically, Kobe can't hold KD's jockstrap. But nice try.

Emwitus

Nash didn't hurt his team on defense as much as Kobe does. He was also a much better offensive player.

lol. after 17 seasons and we're still having this convo...moral victory man. Congrats on having an 8th seed team tho.

And yes, i'm salty.

Not really. Look at the Clips--that's an undersized backcourt that's effective, and Mclemore is more of a pure 2 than Billups.

Agreed on Oladipo. Not a big fan of Smart at all personally. Shabazz is a good settle pick, but you don't take him with with a top selection.

Cats are definitely taking McLemore with a top 3 pick. Might reach on Nerlens.

i want to get on board the McLemore train, but his passiveness and poor handle will relegate him to role player status. It's better than falling flat on your face by reaching on someone that might never be consistently healthy like Noel though.

rando14

Reilo are you making the March thread? If so would you mind posting up the updated GAF team chart please? I can PM it to you later.

id be pretty interested to know what LA's record is when Kobe has a ton of post ups, the games ive seen with him late in the third and fourth, posting up every trip down the floor, taking 10 dribbles, then putting up a shot, LA leaves with an L.

Vahagn

What does any of that have to do with Stephen Curry, Paul Millsap and Larry Sanders leading their teams to a better record than the Lakers with a much worse supporting cast?

So just to be clear, Last year when Kobe led his team to the third best record in the West he was a better player then all those players and CP3. But this year, he's the 15th best player and Larry Sanders and Paul Millsap and Stephen Curry are better players than him?

Emwitus

So just to be clear, Last year when Kobe led his team to the third best record in the West he was a better player then all those players and CP3. But this year, he's the 15th best player and Larry Sanders and Paul Millsap and Stephen Curry are better players than him?

lol

So Legend and DY, what's the verdict on Biyomgno thus far?

Will he ever become a competent starter?

If we can pair him with a stretch 4 that can score and cover his own man (i.e. not Mullens) then yea I think he can be a competent starter. His offense will never be good, so he can't be paired with another big with an average to below average offensive game.

Kobe didn't do any leading with his pathetic 52.7% TS last year

a guy by the name of Andrew Bynum was the reason the Lakers were 3rd in the west

Top Bottom