• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Feb NBA Season lOT| Controlling it like a man, bruh

Pkaz01

Suns trading dudley for shumpert and we are giving the pick? GTFO here people in phoenix will be even more pissed than the Gentry firing

2011 Magic top minute receivers other than Dwight:

Jameer Nelson
Brandon Bass
Jason Richardson
Ryno
Turkeyglue
Redick
Gunbert

Team finished 3rd in defense.

How was Dwight considered a top player in the NBA, it's so confusing.

This Jazz game is not going well...

Cloudy

Banned
Oh he's a very good athlete who can block shots and rebound but as an overall basketball player, he is worse than mediocre. Lakers would have a better record with Dalembert...

2011 Magic top minute receivers other than Dwight:

Jameer Nelson
Brandon Bass
Jason Richardson
Ryno
Turkeyglue
Redick
Gunbert

Team finished 3rd in defense.

How was Dwight considered a top player in the NBA, it's so confusing.

This Jazz game is not going well...
By that logic, Noah ought to be the defensive player of the forever, given the Bulls' starting lineup features Nate Robinson, Carlos "Defense" Boozer, and 75-year-old Rip Hamilton.

Defense is a much larger function of coaching and a team system than actual talent. Put Larry Sanders in the same spot as Dwight Howard in Orlando and you'd get basically the same result (with less turnovers, better free throw shooting, and more passing out from the paint).

Howard's a fraud.

Cloudy

Banned
I really hope Utah trades Jefferson. That's the only way LA makes the playoffs lol

Defense is a much larger function of coaching and a team system than actual talent. Put Larry Sanders in the same spot as Dwight Howard in Orlando and you'd get basically the same result (with less turnovers, better free throw shooting, and more passing out from the paint).

Howard's a fraud.

Seriously. Why isn't Dwight magically making the Lakers a good defensive team if he's sooooo great? And I don't want to hear this injury crap anymore. If you're healthy enough to be on the court, there's no excuses!

The fact is, Dwight is a net negative to the Lakers with his lack of offensive game, lack of basketball IQ, horrific ft % and so-so defense...

By that logic, Noah ought to be the defensive player of the forever, given the Bulls' starting lineup features Nate Robinson and 75-year-old Rip Hamilton.

Howard's a fraud.

Noah is probably going to win defensive player of the year. It's either him or Marc Gasol with Duncan's injuries.

Noah has the best perimeter defender in the NBA on his team as well and an elite defender off the bench in Taj Gibson as well whereas the best defender other than Dwight on the 2011 Magic was JJ Redick and everyone else has shown to be some of the worst defenders in the league.

And if defense is about coaching, why did the Magic completely suck on defense last year when Dwight was injured?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Noah is probably going to win defensive player of the year. It's either him or Marc Gasol with Duncan's injuries.

Noah has the best perimeter defender in the NBA on his team as well and an elite defender off the bench in Taj Gibson as well.

And if defense is about coaching, why did the Magic completely suck on defense last year when Dwight was injured?

Because they didnt have a single backup center on the roster -at all-?

SVG was a miracle worker but we literally didn't have a backup center anywhere on the roster.

Noah has the best perimeter defender in the NBA on his team as well and an elite defender off the bench in Taj Gibson as well whereas the best defender other than Dwight on the 2011 Magic was JJ Redick and everyone else has shown to be some of the worst defenders in the league.

Removing your best (and only) defensive player is obviously going to take a toll on your defense. The Magic had no one to fall back on. If Gortat was still on the Magic roster, they probably wouldn't have suffered all that much on defense.

Because they didnt have a single backup center on the roster -at all-?

SVG was a miracle worker but we literally didn't have a backup center anywhere on the roster.

But that shows that personnel matters.

People seem to want to credit defense to coaching so that they can dismiss defensive players because they think that shooting and scoring is all that matters. Doc Rivers' defenses before KG were incredibly average and they suddenly jumped to legendary when he got KG.

Cloudy

Banned
All I know is Dwight can't do shit in the post vs 70% of teams without 3 to 4 elite 3pt shooters and a PG you can't ignore on PnR protecting him.

His defense is not consistently good enough to compensate for his team-killing lack of offensive skills

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
But that shows that personnel matters.

People seem to want to credit defense to coaching so that they can dismiss defensive players because they think that shooting and scoring is all that matters. Doc Rivers' defenses before KG were incredibly average and they suddenly jumped to legendary when he got KG.

Of course personnel matters but I was just mainly agreeing with Konex in general that SVG did a ton to cover up Dwight's deficiencies as a player (especially on the offensive end). I know a lot of Magic fans shit on Stan for whatever reason but he looks a lot better now in retrospect. The real reason Orlando "underachieved" was because Otis couldn't construct a roster for fucking shit.

what exactly does Dudley add to the Knicks that isnt already there? hes a veteran role player, a knock down shooter and perimeter defender on a team that already has all that.
Knicks don't have a ton of knockdown shooters that play D. Dudley would become the starting SF.
This might be a really random time to say I had a pretty intricate and vivid dream about signing with the Knicks and being their backup PG for the rookie minimum under D'Antoni.

Barely moving to NY in time, not having a car, and showing up at half time to my first game because I got lost trying to use the Subway system.

No part of this dream made any sense, including why I dreamt that I was a backup PG for a organization I don't care for making such measly-by-NBA-standards money.
... what?

masud

Banned
Knicks don't have a ton of knockdown shooters that play D. Dudley would become the starting SF.

... what?

This. We were playing our best when brewer was hitting that corner 3 but then his deal with Satan expired. Dudley could fit that role and do more. We have to consider that trade and if the sun's are dumb enough to give us a pick too then it's a no brainer.

nope.gif

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
This. We were playing our best when brewer was hitting that corner 3 but then his deal with Satan expired. Dudley could fit that role and do more. We have to consider that trade and if the sun's are dumb enough to give us a pick too then it's a no brainer.

To me it all comes down to several factors. Is the pick protected or not? How good the knicks think a potential late lottery pick will be this draft? I doubt they seriously scouted anyone who wouldn't likely be there in the late first round. So that answer will take some time. Do they think Shump can come return to the level of player he was last season?

If Shump gets back to what he was that right there fixes the defensive perimeter issue the knicks have been having against guards.

Top Bottom