• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Jan NBA Season lOT| Beautiful Black Bodies on Top

Rest of the month looks like this:

@Chi
@mem
vs. utah
vs. OKC
vs. NO
@ Pho

with the last two being a back-to-back.

@ Chi is a win (they got blown out the other day). I'm unsure about memphis. Home vs utah is a win. I guarantee a home vic vs OKC on the 27th. Home vs NO is a win. @Pho could be a letdown with the b2b but still probably a win.

Best case scenario: 5-1
Worst case: 4-2
I can't see more than two losses there.

There is tons of season left and they're not that far off from the 8th seed. Houston and Portland are frauds and will drop.

Tell me if as an OKC fan you would want to play the Lakers in the first round? if they get in the post season, anything can happen. Nobody would want to play em.

let me put this into perspective for you

the 76ers without Andrew Bynum have an identical record to the Lakers and are a better road team

How about this, if the Lakers don't go 4-2 over that stretch with a win in OKC, you can just stfu for the rest of the season?

why does it bother you that someone still has a positive outlook for the team? It reminds me of nintendo fans hating how people like the Vita and thinking it could ever come back in sales. I may be a bit optimistic but i rather be that than a debbie downer like this thread.

linsivvi

why does it bother you that someone still has a positive outlook for the team? It reminds me of nintendo fans hating how people like the Vita and thinking it could ever come back in sales. I may be a bit optimistic but i rather be that than a debbie downer like this thread.

There's a difference between being optimistic and delusional.

diehard

Fleer

Optimistic would be "Maybe we stop sucking all kinds of ass and actually get some wins, maybe be .500 by the end of the season" .

It's like me thinking the Jazz have a good shot at the title this year, it's not optimistic, it's lunacy.

There's optimistic and then there's batshit insane delusional
Edit: beaten like the Lakers in Tdot

There's a difference between being optimistic and delusional.

None of those predictinos are delusional, they're optimistic but since they're not depressingly negative like every other fan in this thread they come off that way. You try to one-up each other with the negativity. The Lakers are fine, there is plenty of season left and I'm confident they'll make the post season and probably have a good run.
Going to bed

Omega

Banned
Saving it for the playoffs.
eB6UY6O.jpg

the Lakers lost badly to Toronto in a must win game (don't let the score fool you).

That was the final nail in the coffin for me. You have to see the writing on the wall, Heavy. And no one has been more optimistic in this thread than me.

How the fuck were the Kings valued at $525 million? Lebron was right to call that shit out. If the Kings are $525, then pretty much every franchise is $600 mil and over going forward. And the lockout was even more inexcusable than ever.

Perhaps Chris Hansen is over-valuing them, of course.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I'd imagine its not about the Kings being worth 600 million, its that having an NBA team in Seattle is worth the 600 million (to those guys).

How many other teams in the league could they move to Seattle without out there being a chance its upheld? Only so many realistic relocation teams really.

I'd imagine its not about the Kings being worth 600 million, its that having an NBA team in Seattle is worth the 600 million (to those guys).

How many other teams in the league could they move to Seattle without out their being a chance its upheld? Only so many realistic relocation teams really.

Here's my problem with that, they just had a team there that wasn't producing enough to warrant a new stadium and/or renovation for the owners and it led them to sell it for much less than $525 million.

OKC bought it for $325 million in 2006 during the housing boom peak. There is absolutely no fucking way a team in Seattle would be worth 60% more in 7 years given the economic situation. Yes, it should be worth more because of what the lockout did (lower costs) and higher revenues and more to come (TV deal) but I just don't see it being a 60% increase with all that an small inflation. And it should be noted that a team in Seattle is worth more than Sacramento that this valuation number would be between those so a team in Seattle today would be worth even more. Hell, the Maloofs are in trouble and had so little leverage you'd think that alone would lower the price a lot more. This should have been a bargain bin price, really.

And Seattle is still the most, if not one of the most, saturated sports markets per capita (which is partially why the Sonics were sold).

Maybe I'm wrong, but that means other teams are worth a lot more than previously thought. A lot lot lot more.

Seems like the Maloofs got a lifeline for the debt from an over-zelous buyer. Far be it from me to tell a rich dude how to spend his money and I'm glad basketball is back in Seattle instead of being in Sacramento, but that just seems odd. I hope the franchise doesn't get hamstrung from the initial payment.

Wonder if the Sonics ownership will push for a firesale in an attempt to get Wiggins next year.

Tanking is getting more complicated each year. It's not even about who has the worst roster anymore. You have to put a collective group on the floor that cancel each others strengths and bring out the worst in each other.

Even after accomplishing that you have to have guys that have the mental ability to give so little fucks that they can stomach being harassed by the local media and fans for 82 games.

Current Kings roster minus Jimmer and Isaiah might be perfect.

cdyhybrid

the Lakers lost badly to Toronto in a must win game (don't let the score fool you).

That was the final nail in the coffin for me. You have to see the writing on the wall, Heavy. And no one has been more optimistic in this thread than me.

How the fuck were the Kings valued at $525 million? Lebron was right to call that shit out. If the Kings are $525, then pretty much every franchise is $600 mil and over going forward. And the lockout was even more inexcusable than ever.

Perhaps Chris Hansen is over-valuing them, of course.

They didn't actually pay for the $525M. They only bought 65% of the team so they only payed $300-something M.

Wonder if the Sonics ownership will push for a firesale in an attempt to get Wiggins next year.

Tanking is getting more complicated each year. It's not even about who has the worst roster anymore. You have to put a collective group on the floor that cancel each others strengths and bring out the worst in each other.

Even after accomplishing that you have to have guys that have the mental ability to give so little fucks that they can stomach being harassed by the local media and fans for 82 games.

What they need to do is clean house the organization.

Tanking in the NBA will be evaluated as an art form in 50 years.

Emwitus

"Everybody wants to know what's the reason, whose fault it is and this, that and the other. I just made it more easy. You should just point the finger at me. Let me take all that. This way, we won't have to worry about that as a team. It's part of my responsibility. I'll take [the criticism] and we can just focus on what we do best, which is playing together and trying to figure out how to get out of this losing."

Tell me this guy is not a delusional selfish prick?

They didn't actually pay for the $525M. They only bought 65% of the team so they only payed $300-something M.

Right, but the team is still valued at $525 which is where the actual payment comes from (since they bought a 65% share or whatnot).

They're paying roughly the same price for the Kings (not counting how much it will cost to re-locate, get a stadium lease, etc) that Bennett paid for the Sonics. Only, they get just 2/3 of the franchise, not all of it.

I just don't get how the current Kings is worth 65% more than the Sonics were worth 7 years ago.

linsivvi

Right, but the team is still valued at $525 which is where the actual payment comes from (since they bought a 65% share or whatnot).

They're paying roughly the same price for the Kings (not counting how much it will cost to re-locate, get a stadium lease, etc) that Bennett paid for the Sonics. Only, they get just 2/3 of the franchise, not all of it.

I just don't get how the current Kings is worth 65% more than the Sonics were worth 7 years ago.

It's definitely being over-valued. I think it basically comes down to Steve Ballmer really want the team for whatever reason.

This list is from a year ago and I don't know how accurate Forbes is, but they were being valued at $300M. TV money inflated the teams' values a lot.

http://www.forbes.com/nba-valuations/list/

Canuck76

Banned

Lol spoken like a true wizards fan.

You should write a thesis on this crap.

cdyhybrid

I think sports franchises in general are becoming more expensive. The Dodgers sold for a shitload, NFL teams are all crazy expensive, etc.

None of those predictinos are delusional, they're optimistic but since they're not depressingly negative like every other fan in this thread they come off that way. You try to one-up each other with the negativity. The Lakers are fine, there is plenty of season left and I'm confident they'll make the post season and probably have a good run.
Going to bed

I see you decided to copy the Lakers season as it went to bed a long time ago.

It's definitely being over-valued. I think it basically comes down to Steve Ballmer really want the team for whatever reason.

This list is from a year ago and I don't know how accurate Forbes is, but they were being valued at $300M. TV money inflated the teams' values a lot.

http://www.forbes.com/nba-valuations/list/

Yes, and Forbes has consistently come under the value of the sales, most likely because they're guessing and when teams open up their books there is more worth than being reported.

But it's hard to be that far off. I thought the Warriors were sold for a lot (but it would be justified) and forbes was below, but this is waaaaay off.

If Steve Balmer wants a franchise that's great, but I don't see why one should waste money doing it. But again, that's his choice. Of course, it fucks up valuations for the other teams.

The Grizz just sold for $350 million. Heisley must be fucking pissed.

I think sports franchises in general are becoming more expensive. The Dodgers sold for a shitload, NFL teams are all crazy expensive, etc.

Of course and rightfully (though the Dodgers has a massive base to tap into and a new TV deal that will be worth a small fortune).

This deal just seems absurd. Moreso given how desperate the Maloofs are. Then again, Ballmer isn't very visionary...

So do they change the Kings' name to Sonics?
I would think so. I can't imagine an NBA team in Seattle not named the Supersonics/Sonics.

Ironically, Seattle is located in King County. If they were to keep the Kings name, at least it would make more sense than the Lakers or Utah Jazz.

Rest of the month looks like this:

@Chi
@mem
vs. utah
vs. OKC
vs. NO
@ Pho

with the last two being a back-to-back.

@ Chi is a win (they got blown out the other day). I'm unsure about memphis. Home vs utah is a win. I guarantee a home vic vs OKC on the 27th. Home vs NO is a win. @Pho could be a letdown with the b2b but still probably a win.

Best case scenario: 5-1
Worst case: 4-2
I can't see more than two losses there.
eqOQs.gif

My post was an equally as over-the-top post as the one it was replying to (he called the roster garbage).

edit- "fucking garbage"
This is true, but he uses the same stale troll and doesn't have a team to root for. You should aspire to be better than him.

exarkun

anyone order jersey's from Nba.com? Is there a better place to buy jerseys? I wanted to get one but they don't have my size. Should I just email them or wait? They make rooting for the laundry so fucking hard these days, it almost pisses me off.

Red Blaster is so free nowadays (in terms of the posting) since the magic suck. I know I fucked with you a little last season, but I tip my hate to you.

Westlo

There is tons of season left and they're not that far off from the 8th seed. Houston and Portland are frauds and will drop.

Tell me if as an OKC fan you would want to play the Lakers in the first round? if they get in the post season, anything can happen. Nobody would want to play em.

Okc could spot the lakers 20 points each game and still sweep yas.

Top Bottom