• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Jan NBA Season lOT2| What Would Kobe Chu?

Flash

I kind of don't understand this trade for Memphis... lol they already some pretty good bigs (Gasol, Z-Bo, Arthur)...so where does Davis fit?

and I get they need a SF to replace Gay but Prince? seriously?

His TS% is 56% and his 3pt% is 38% -- he is taking very few bad shots. It's amazing how much perception clouds judgement.

lol maybe we're not watching the same games. if you really think the majority of those 3s are good shots, ok. it's called the eye test. he takes stupid 3s early in the shot clock, or off an offensive rebound, and tends to shoot them from a few steps beyond the arc. they just happen to go in.

I kind of don't understand this trade for Memphis... lol they already some pretty good bigs (Gasol, Z-Bo, Arthur)...so where does Davis fit?

and I get they need a SF to replace Gay but Prince? seriously?

Davis is better than Arthur.

It's also about salary. They dumped Gay's huge contract for Prince's smaller one.

Prince and Daye. Not terrible.

Edit: Ha told mrs jjasper we traded gay and Hadaddi. Her response "aww I'm gonna miss Hadaddi"

What????? The Prince and Daye for an expiring?

Yessssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So Davis also to Memphis with hadidi + Gay in Toronto.

Prince can still hit the 3 but doesn't do much else on offense. Then again he's been on a shit team so who knows.

Wonder if he can still play D.

Prince will do ok. He plays best as a complementary player. He will give them 12pts , 5rebs and ok defense on a nightly basis.

Daye on the other hand......

Hey guys Jason Kidd had a sore back but played the 1st game of a b2b, and even though he only lasted 5 minutes the next game the Knicks say his health is fine tonight!!!
New York Knicks point guard Jason Kidd will sit out Wednesday's game against the Orlando Magic with a sore lower back.

and_it_s_gone_by_celeith-d5div3y.jpg

KingKong

I don't understand why every bad team doesn't go the Cleveland route (slash salary and stock up on picks), I understand they want to save their jobs and give fans something to cheer for, but is there any Detroit or Toronto fan excited about Calderon or Gay?

giri

Wow, Daye, Davis, and prince?

Amazing.

For those who don't watch grizz games, they DESPERATELY need someone who can shoot 3's as a starter to keep opponents from doubling on Marc and Z-Bo.

A large part of z-bo's recent trouble has been that gay and allen's man have been doubling him instantly and hard. And at no cost, they weren't being made to pay for it at all.

If prince has any left in the tank and can still play solid D, this could be amazing for them. Particularly with getting some more big depth so they don't have to keep running Marc Gasol into the ground during the regular season.

From what i remember of prince, he's also a good passer to boot.

Though i'm still unconvinced Tony Allen isn't hurting the grizz as much as he is helping them, it's a good trade.

jjasper

I don't understand why every bad team doesn't go the Cleveland route (slash salary and stock up on picks), I understand they want to save their jobs and give fans something to cheer for, but is there any Detroit or Toronto fan excited about Calderon or Gay?

Detroit is slashing salary and didn't give up a pick.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So it's official now, eh? I can't believe we dumped Davis and we still have Bargs. I feel bad for Calderon, just moving to another shitty situation, but at least he'll be a FA at the years end.

Memphis got an amazing deal.

I guess I can look forward to years of Bargs and Gay carrying this team to 30 win seasons. Thanks Colangelo.

Mark Medina ‏@MedinaLakersNBA
The NBA approved the Lakers' disabled players exception for Jordan Hill worth $1.78 million

2z6v0qc.gif

I google "nash money gif" and 1st link was KingGondo's photobucket. interesting

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Wow, Daye, Davis, and prince?

Amazing.

For those who don't watch grizz games, they DESPERATELY need someone who can shoot 3's as a starter to keep opponents from doubling on Marc and Z-Bo.

A large part of z-bo's recent trouble has been that gay and allen's man have been doubling him instantly and hard. And at no cost, they weren't being made to pay for it at all.

If prince has any left in the tank and can still play solid D, this could be amazing for them. Particularly with getting some more big depth so they don't have to keep running Marc Gasol into the ground during the regular season.

From what i remember of prince, he's also a good passer to boot.

Though i'm still unconvinced Tony Allen isn't hurting the grizz as much as he is helping them, it's a good trade.
Completely agree

Prince is a better version of Barnes for 22 minutes per game.

Memphis beasted on this deal.

BobLoblaw

Banned
At least Hollinger doesn't contradict himself.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ay5cbdn
I'm kinda numb to this. I hate to see Rudy go and I really wanted them to let it ride out until the post season, but what we're getting back isn't so bad. TP finally gets out of Detroit and he's still decent with chip experience, Ed Davis is a solid player, and I don't even know who the hellAustin Daye is, but worse comes to worse, he can warm the bench in Haddadi's place.

Completely agree

Prince is a better version of Barnes for 22 minutes per game.

Memphis beasted on this deal.

If Prince can up his 2 point percentage a bit and play solid D (I haven't watched him in so long since they suck) then I think Memphis is better off. Their offense will be more efficient and Ed Davis is better than Arthur and their frontline is pretty damn good, again.

They're still a 3 point shooter away, though, because Allen and the bench won't cut it.

Brinbe

Yes, I'm excited. We got rid of Jose and got ourselves a solid SF.

Haters will change their tune in short-order, like they always do. Like with the Ross pick. Go dig up the draft thread for their reaction then and see what they think now.

Cloudy

Banned
So where is Rodney Stuckey getting traded to? He was already the odd man out at PG with Bynum's emergence. Now they add Calderon?

I assume they will try to re-sign Calderon and it wasn't solely a move to dump Prince's contract..

giri

If Prince can up his 2 point percentage a bit and play solid D (I haven't watched him in so long since they suck) then I think Memphis is better off. Their offense will be more efficient and Ed Davis is better than Arthur and their frontline is pretty damn good, again.

They're still a 3 point shooter away, though, because Allen and the bench won't cut it.

Chris Johnson has been remarkably consistent in his 10day contract. Hitting the 3 at over .400 and playing solid D. Not amazing, but solid.

It's an extremely small sample size though.

If they managed to flip some of that trash (and the pick) to PHX for Dudley... and kept Allen...

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Yes, I'm excited. We got rid of Jose and got ourselves a solid SF.

Haters will change their tune in short-order, like they always do. Like with the Ross pick. Go dig up the draft thread for their reaction then and see what they think now.

Can I still shit on DeRozan? He still shrinks under any sort of pressure from a decent team. Ross is okay for where the Raptors drafted him, but he's one of those hot-cold guys. BC's history with the team is shaky at best, so I don't know how you're calling people haters in regards to some of his moves.

And this team is still not going anywhere. Our PG depth scares me now with Lowry's injury history (more John Lucas III? Oh gawd) and we just traded our best low post player on offense. No draft pick likely and we're unable to move Bargs' crippling contract.

I look forward to being wrong, receiving the 1st pick in the draft and winning the Atlantic next year

BobLoblaw

Banned

I think they pick up Chris Johnson for the rest of the year, but he's been solid from long range so far (6/11 in three games), but he's really just holding the spot still Q Pon gets back (42% on the year). So Bayless, CJ, Prince, and Q Pon will be decent 3-point threats off the bench (even DA has hit from long range this year). As for the original starting five, that's really just Conley now.

Omega

Banned
So where is Rodney Stuckey getting traded to? He was already the odd man out at PG with Bynum's emergence. Now they add Calderon?

I assume they will try to re-sign Calderon and it wasn't solely a move to dump Prince's contract..

according to the link someone posted, Calderon is somehow going to Memphis..

The Grizzlies receive point guard Jose Calderon as part of the deal, and will route Calderon's $10.5 million expiring contract to the Detroit Pistons for a package that includes forwards Tayshaun Prince and Austin Daye, league sources told Y! Sports.

lol....lol....lol....

1. Stuckey is making $8 mil/yr. No one's trading for him....

2. They just traded a 32 year old making $7 mil/yr. Why would they re-sign a 31 year old Calderon? He would make similar or more expensive amount.

Cloudy

Banned
Yeah and then Detroit

They just traded a 32 year old making $7 mil/yr. Why would they re-sign Calderon?

He's a very good PG and the guy they are starting is more of a scorer than a distributor? Will Bynum has been the best PG on the Pistons this year and that's not a small part of why they're so bad...

Flash

Can I still shit on DeRozan? He still shrinks under any sort of pressure from a decent team. Ross is okay for where the Raptors drafted him, but he's one of those hot-cold guys. BC's history with the team is shaky at best, so I don't know how you're calling people haters in regards to some of his moves.

And this team is still not going anywhere. Our PG depth scares me now with Lowry's injury history (more John Lucas III? Oh gawd) and we just traded our best low post player on offense. No draft pick likely and we're unable to move Bargs' crippling contract.

yea... value wise, Ed Davis for Rudy Gay is a steal for Toronto (Calderon was gonna be a FA and I would rather not have re-signed him at 8 mil per or w/e). But given the circumstances, I don't really know where this team is headed.

Wiggins was the best shot to take this team out of the gutters but it looks like that ship is sailing. BC aint losing this job without taking down the franchise first, that's for damn sure.

I kind of feel bad for Calderon. He's way more valuable than Prince and Dayes IMO. Sucks that he's on a team worse than ours :/. I'm sure he goes to a contender next year though.

Brinbe

Only in regards to this move! God, I am no BC guy at all. Far from it. And I hate DeMar's game and his contract, so shit away.

Anyway, I know people will be upset that this potentially ruins our dreams of Wiggins and shelling out all that money to a core of Bargs/DeMar/Gay is puke-worthy, but it's still a good deal and on the contrary, this does potentially solidify our future.

Like I posted earlier,

Lowry
Ross
Gay
Amir
Val

when's the last time we fielded a young and complete line-up like that? It's not chip worthy in the least, but it's something to get excited about (at least as I see it).

The worry is of course Bargs/DeMar/Fields and the rest of the garbage, and that's where the BC hatred begins to set in all over again!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
yea... value wise, Ed Davis for Rudy Gay is a steal for Toronto (Calderon was gonna be a FA and I would rather not have re-signed him at 8 mil per or w/e). But given the circumstances, I don't really know where this team is headed.

Wiggins was the best shot to take this team out of the gutters but it looks like that ship is sailing. BC aint losing this job without taking down the franchise first, that's for damn sure.

I don't really know how much of a value he is for Davis. I'm really surprised we moved Davis, given how this roster looks now. Gay and DeRozan taking two thirds of the shots for this team now? Gulp.

Calderon was not going to resign here regardless, because he had stated he wanted to play meaningful games, so it's good we did get something for him. It's just costly to move Davis for Gay, given the make up of the roster. We have nothing in the post now except for a very under-developed (but huge upside) centre that's hurt. We're depending on Amir Johnson for that now? I guess that's better than Bargs playing, thank god.

Only in regards to this move! God, I am no BC guy at all. Far from it. And I hate DeMar's game and his contract, so shit away.

Anyway, I know people will be upset that this potentially ruins our dreams of Wiggins and shelling out all that money to a core of Bargs/DeMar/Gay is puke-worthy, but it's still a good deal and on the contrary, this does potentially solidify our future.

Like I posted earlier,

Lowry
Ross
Gay
Amir
Val

when's the last time we fielded a young and complete line-up like that? It's not chip worthy in the least, but it's something to get excited about (at least as I see it).

The worry is of course Bargs/DeMar/Fields and the rest of the garbage, and that's where the BC hatred begins to set in all over again!

If anything, I think this might help our chances to tank. I don't exactly view Gay as some franchise centre piece and if we can get that line up on the floor with Bargs replacing Amir, we can have some lovely 37% from the field shooting nights for this team.

Rudy Gay and DeMar DeRozan are the exact same players and Gay-DeRozan-Bargs is just about the most miserable complementary group in the NBA. That group has no efficient players and no passers and no shooters and none of them will even be the first option and they all make a lot of money; this Raptors team makes no sense at all right now. BC has no idea what he's doing.

Also, have to wonder about Detroit being unable to find a 4th team for Calderon. I would have thought for sure that the Jazz would be interested...

Damn, its sad to see the final Piston from the championship team leave, but it was definitely his time. Daye had upped his game these past few months, especially at hitting those clutch 3s, so Memphis could benefit from him more so than Prince. I'm not really seeing how Calderon will fit in too well with the Pistons, not sure we really needed a third point guard with Bynum and Knight both playing good in recent games, but I guess we'll see. Stuckey is the one the Pistons really needed to get rid of, and Jerebko possibly since he hasn't been playing at all this season, but I'm afraid we'll be stuck with Stuckey for this season.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Rudy Gay and DeMar DeRozan are the exact same players and Gay-DeRozan-Bargs is just about the most miserable complementary group in the NBA. That group has no efficient players and no passers and no shooters and none of them will even be the first option and they all make a lot of money; this Raptors team makes no sense at all right now. BC has no idea what he's doing.

Also, have to wonder about Detroit being unable to find a 4th team for Calderon. I would have thought for sure that the Jazz would be interested...

It's sort of scary when your SG is .246% on 3s and you bring in a SF that's .310% (and .408% from the floor). There are going to be some really ugly shooting nights.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
"HoopsHype @hoopshype

This trade more emotional than most: All the players involved have played for just one team during their NBA careers."

Flash

It's sort of scary when your SG is .246% on 3s and you bring in a SF that's .310% (and .408% from the floor). There are going to be some really ugly shooting nights.

Rudy Gay has had a pretty bad season but I expect he'll do better here. him and Lowry will have good chemistry (they're best friends) and he'll be our number 1 option. also, he won't have 2 big's clogging the lane so he'll have a bit more freedom.

I agree though, DeRozan and Gay are too similar... DeRozan is pretty much a poor mans Gay. I hope we could ship him and start Ross, Ross and Gay is a much stronger pair IMO.

Calderon tweeted earlier:

Let's get W tonight! #PoundtheRock A ganar esta noche! #paciencia #positivo

https://twitter.com/josemcalderon8/status/296742929760915456

:(

jjasper

So in total after the two trades we are now 8million under the cap and will save 37.2million over the next three years. Can't really argue with it.

Top Bottom