• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Major League Soccer |OT| Pick your side, it's time for War

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any TFC guys know what kinda lineup to expect tonight?

Considering this tournament is probably the easiest way in the world to reach continental competition, Nelsen would take it seriously, especially playing your biggest rivals.

Which is all good news for me! I'm not expecting a pushover on Saturday whatsoever.

I heard that Stefan Frei might be starting in goal which would be his first start this season. The coach was mentioning using all the players for the next 3 games... I would have to assume that would mean starting some players that don't normally get time tonight. It's tough to say though, the Canadian Championship games have been taken seriously in the past so I could see him spreading the newcomers around tonight's game and Saturday to be honest.

Osorio

So the Borough Boys (Cosmos supporters group) announced today that they'll have bus trips from Jack Dempsey's on 33rd and 6th Avenue to the games on Long Island for the entire NASL fall schedule.

ESC's bar Legends is down the block not even an avenue apart.

I like these guys, they're trying to start shit already.

Askani

US Open Cup qualifying news. From Twitter:

2013 @USOpenCup qualifying: @DearbornStarsSC protest upheld, replay ordered this weekend vs. @KC_AthleticsFC in Chicago. Details TBA

Dearborn filed an official protest before the start of the match. The field was only 62 yards wide insitead of the minimum 65 according to the USASA National Cup rules.

Osorio

Only interesting part to that article: Peter Wilt has a new job. He'll be the new president of the Indiana team

I remember a huge thread over the fall on Metrofanatic about how we all wanted him as the new GM of the Red Bulls

I hadn't heard of him but he appears to be a solid signing. I definitely like the idea of a young DP.
I hope the fans understand that he doesn't play a position that scores goals. Sometimes I hear idiots rating DP signings by the number of goals they score. Imagine if we signed a DP keeper! haha

Hieberrr

Same here, I really hope fans don't expect him to come in and be the next Ozil or something like that. We've been lacking someone who is able to defend the midfield and he might just be our guy.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Match day, suckas!(Everyone is asleep)

To be on TV does TSN force every Toronto match to be early?

Once I finish my work today I'll most likely watch some other MLS games on MLS Live while waiting for the DC game. I like that MLS streams one game a week for free now.

Hieberrr

Wow, what a complete waste of $140 for the pair of tickets. What a complete fuck you to the fans. Ypu had the midfield play like shit, and most of the time 4 guys standing up front doing absolutely nothing. This was the most effortless and embarrassing showing that I have seen.

Stupid decisions on that pitch were made left and right. Like.. what the fuck?!

zedge

The diving by Dallas, what a disgrace. Keep that shit out of the mls.

* edit glad the caps have tied this. F these diving pricks.

Nesotenso

frustrating game from SKC. the goals were again caused by defenders over committing going forward. also poor possession and passing. Benny was a waste of space. good luck making the gold cup roster with that performance. Forwards are still not getting the service or are just non-existent. Sapong hasn't scored even once !

Dartastic

frustrating game from SKC. the goals were again caused by defenders over committing going forward. also poor possession and passing. Benny was a waste of space. good luck making the gold cup roster with that performance. Forwards are still not getting the service or are just non-existent. Sapong hasn't scored even once !
MUAHAHAHAHA

Outside of how salty you must feel, you have to admit that was an excellent game.

Nesotenso

MUAHAHAHAHA

Outside of how salty you must feel, you have to admit that was an excellent game.

in terms of goals and back forth maybe. Timbers forwards made most of their chances. SKC were poor in terms of passing with too many giveaways. Maybe Peterson can start in place of Sapong next game but I don't know if he has 90 minutes in him yet.

Dartastic

in terms of goals and back forth maybe. Timbers forwards made most of their chances. SKC were poor in terms of passing with too many giveaways. Maybe Peterson can start in place of Sapong next game but I don't know if he has 90 minutes in him yet.
I'm just saying it was an entertaining as fuck game to watch. :p

valeo

Feel bad for Nelsen - just doesn't have a good enough squad yet. Doing alright for his first foray into coaching, though.

Meier

Looks more and more likely that Man City will buy the next franchise in New York (New York City FC). Orlando City's chances are make or break this week depending on a decision by the FL legislature. If they don't include MLS within a group of possible options to get a particular tax incentive, Orlando City into the MLS is dead in the water.

More info on NYCFC:

Sheik Mansour bin Zayed al-Nahyan, a member of the Abu Dhabi royal family, whose private investment group owns Manchester City in England’s Premier League, has entered final negotiations to purchase a franchise of Major League Soccer to be situated in Queens, according to two people with knowledge of the negotiations.

The prospective owners are willing to pay a $100 million expansion fee for the league’s 20th team, which could be called New York City F.C. and begin play in 2016, the two people said. That would more than double the expansion fee of $40 million paid by the Montreal team that entered M.L.S. in 2012.

After months of public hearings, applications and discussions, a deal for a privately financed $340 million stadium in Flushing Meadows-Corona Park, which would hold 25,000 spectators and could be expanded to 35,000, could be completed in several weeks, according to several people with knowledge of the deal.

The league wants to make the announcement before May 25, when Manchester City is scheduled to play an exhibition at Yankee Stadium against its English rival Chelsea, the two people familiar with the negotiations said.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/29/s...o-own-new-soccer-team-in-new-york.html?_r=0#h[SMbSMb]

Askani

Bleh...SKC. I didn't get to watch and am just now catching up with highlights. Kind of crappy that a defender and come down and put two goals in the net but no one else can. I was really hoping to see something since they were coming back home from the L.A. beatdown, but I guess not.

Don't fuck up against Chivas.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Looks more and more likely that Man City will buy the next franchise in New York (New York City FC). Orlando City's chances are make or break this week depending on a decision by the FL legislature. If they don't include MLS within a group of possible options to get a particular tax incentive, Orlando City into the MLS is dead in the water.

More info on NYCFC:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/29/s...o-own-new-soccer-team-in-new-york.html?_r=0#h[SMbSMb]

It makes me sick that two other teams might join MLS and have stadium plans in place before DC United gets any progress with the DC government on a stadium.

Don Garbers hard on for NY and his lack of respect for other markets makes me sick. NASL and Ny Cosmos for life. Can't wait for Garber to change the DP and salary cap rules without telling anyone so the Shieks buy everything into oblivion.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Don Garbers hard on for NY and his lack of respect for other markets makes me sick. NASL and Ny Cosmos for life. Can't wait for Garber to change the DP and salary cap rules without telling anyone so the Shieks buy everything into oblivion.

Hopefully it is true Vergara wants to sell Chivas and that leads to Chivas USA being relocated.

Nesotenso

More info on NYCFC:

Team should be called Empire City FC. MLS will likely expand to 22 or 24 teams in the future but it would be great if they came with soccer specific stadiums. D.C United and New England need to push for new venues.

Hopefully it is true Vergara wants to sell Chivas and that leads to Chivas USA being relocated.
I don't even know where they would be moved too. Garber just needs to get this stick out of his ass. He has seemingly everyone at MLS HQ working in a stadium for a team that doesn't exist but neglects other markets. I don't know how many times I've heard them say that the DC market is hard to negotiate a stadium deal and that is almost unworkable. He does nothing to press the Revs since Kraft is a cheapskate power broker of the NFL. Sometimes I forget the Revs exist and I'm a MLS fan. Chivas is a stain and disgrace to the league.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I don't even know where they would be moved too. Garber just needs to get this stick out of his ass. He has seemingly everyone at MLS HQ working in a stadium for a team that doesn't exist but neglects other markets. I don't know how many times I've heard them say that the DC market is hard to negotiate a stadium deal and that is almost unworkable. He does nothing to press the Revs since Kraft is a cheapskate power broker of the NFL. Sometimes I forget the Revs exist and I'm a MLS fan. Chivas is a stain and disgrace to the league.

San Diego? Or just give the team to Orlando or the second NY one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom